Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed

Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed

Summary: The numbers are in and they don't lie. Windows 8 market adoption numbers are well behind Microsoft's greatest previous operating system failure, Vista.

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols for Between the Lines
March 4, 2013 -- 18:46 GMT (10:46 PST)

Windows fans will whine, but Net Applications' desktop operating systems numbers don't lie. Windows 8's pathetic user adoption numbers can't even keep up with Vista's lousy numbers.

win8vsvista-600x365.png

Windows 8 usage can't even keep up with Vista/s poor numbers. (Data from Net Applications)

The numbers speak for themselves. Vista, universally acknowledged as a failure, actually had significantly better adoption numbers than Windows 8. At similar points in their roll-outs, Vista had a desktop market share of 4.52% compared to Windows 8's share of 2.67%. Underlining just how poorly Windows 8's adoption has gone, Vista didn't even have the advantage of holiday season sales to boost its numbers. Tablets--and not Surface RT tablets--were what people bought last December, not Windows 8 PCs.

mobileosfeb2013-v1-600x268.png

Windows 8, and its relatives Windows Phone 8 and RT, make no impression at all in the smartphone and tablet markets. (Credit: Net Applications)

Windows 8's failure is actually greater than it appears. The tablet and phone markets in 2007 were next to non-existent. Now, in a market where NPD expects tablets to out sell notebooks by year's end, neither Windows 8 nor its cousins Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 even appear on NetApplication's mobile and tablet reports for February 2013. How bad is that? Android 1.6, with is tiny 0.02% of the market, does make the list.

I predicted that Windows 8 would be dead on arrival last year, but it's flopping even more than I thought it would be. So, why has Windows 8 been such a failure? Here's my list:

see full report

Very nice comparison, Hippsie!

Looks better, BUT the second one needs more maintenance even from the house perspective. Look where it's placed: I love nature, but you need to cut down the bushes and trees pretty often to stop the jungle from taking over in the house. :D

Thanks, Hopachi. Actually Falling Water is practically maintenance free. made of natural stone, concrete, and steel. You may have to do some tree trimming and flower bed care, but there isn't a lawn. :)

That house was completed in 1938. It looks like it was built yesterday to me.
1938, we can't even get a builder in Australia to make a house last 5 years. I went to a village in Holland where all the houses were 200 years old as were the roads, I thought it was a new estate. The only difference between the old bricks and new bricks was that they were longer and the roads were better than any modern road.

Yes it's an architectural marvel.
1938 was when they built good stuff. Stone is very long lasting (thousands of years), reinforced concrete (became standard after 1960's) lasts less (hundreds of years) because the corroding steel will expand and crack open the concrete.

Stone or brick is the way to go, avoid wood. :)

The initial comparison with Win8 was nice to see: you make it look very innovative and solid. Let's hope the 'corroded steel' doesn't happen too fast here: for instance Win8 was very fast even after many installations here. But the Start Screen take longer to show up and doesn't let me click the Desktop only after a delay (still investigating this one).

Cheers
Hopachi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
...reinforced concrete (became standard after 1960's) lasts less (hundreds of years) because the corroding steel will expand and crack open the concrete.

Stone or brick is the way to go, avoid wood.

I don't think that's quite correct:

The Secrets of Ancient Rome

Concrete Structures Could Last 16,000 Years

Timber Frame Houses | How To Build a House That Will Last 200+ Years

House of Bethlehem in Schwyz, built in 1287, is the oldest wooden dwelling in Europe. - swissinfo.ch

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
...reinforced concrete (became standard after 1960's) lasts less (hundreds of years) because the corroding steel will expand and crack open the concrete.

It's correct, because Rome didn't use reinforced concrete.

It's stronger, but doesn't have the longevity.

And to keep the thread on topic, Windows 8 is alright in my books, and not necessarily a failure.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Toshiba Satellite
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo P7450 @ 2.13GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Raedon HD3650

And to keep the thread on topic, Windows 8 is alright in my books, and not necessarily a failure.
:ditto:
No steel, no corrosion.

But we should remain on topic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

Hi there.

I think W8 is actually going in the right direction if you look at FUTURE hardware developments rather than dying Dinosaur technology.

Samsung is for the moment going with Android -- no surprise there -- and I do think Ms made a mistake in releasing the RT BEFORE the surface pro. Normally you release your flagship product - then your cheaper and less featured models.

But BTW :

Not sure Brick would be a good idea in California -- especially for small buildings like individual houses. The Earth even when no earthquakes are actually felt is always moving and brick would fall apart quite quickly. Wood can easily be replaced and is reasonably pliable so small shifting earth movements won't damage the house too quickly. Wood has longevity too if you pick the right wood and treat it properly. It's also much more environmentally friendly than brick as well.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
MS is certainly headed in the correct direction. Times have changed and will change again.

I see some interest in architecture here. Shall I start a thread in the lounge on this topic?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
MS is certainly headed in the correct direction. Times have changed and will change again.

I see some interest in architecture here. Shall I start a thread in the lounge on this topic?

What you don't seem to be able to realize is that there will always be a need for the desktop platform to perform various tasks that cannot be performed on any tablet or IPad! What MS actually did was "short change" the desktop users in favor of their new Surface Tablets and Windows RT sales. "Let's make the desktop releases look the same!" was someone's lame idea for marketing a new version without development involved with the desktop platform side of things. Instead they simply slapped the RT gui on just like that.

There is no "this is the way of the future!" crapola but actual reality of a marketing decision to compete with Googlelitis and the Fruit company at the same time. The simple fact is that the desktop user got taken for a joy ride! The Aero as well as media features were stripped out of an updated 7 core and labeled 8 after slapping a tablet gui on rather then work on any new version of the desktop itself. "CUTTING CORNERS!" is not any form of Progressive Development for the desktop platform.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys

What you don't seem to be able to realize is that there will always be a need for the desktop platform to perform various tasks that cannot be performed on any tablet or IPad! What MS actually did was "short change" the desktop users in favor of their new Surface Tablets and Windows RT sales. "Let's make the desktop releases look the same!" was someone's lame idea for marketing a new version without development involved with the desktop platform side of things. Instead they simply slapped the RT gui on just like that.

There is no "this is the way of the future!" crapola but actual reality of a marketing decision to compete with Googlelitis and the Fruit company at the same time. The simple fact is that the desktop user got taken for a joy ride! The Aero as well as media features were stripped out of an updated 7 core and labeled 8 after slapping a tablet gui on rather then work on any new version of the desktop itself. "CUTTING CORNERS!" is not any form of Progressive Development for the desktop platform.

With that said... a) they needed to go convertible and in a bad way(RT, not so much, or at least it should have been in a smaller Mini type form factor), the numbers off convertibles will prove that out and b) Microsoft isn't Apple, they aren't going to abandon the desktop PC like a child on the side of the road like Apple is doing with the Mac.

What i'd really like to see is Samsung get together with Microsoft and Intel and simply put out the Teraflop PC for Power Users with like 10 TB of hard drive space that can be clouded for your devices running Windows Server 2012 and watch the Macheads go screaming into the night. Someone is going to do it, you could probably sell them to colleges pretty easy for academia and there is a small segment of PC users that would buy it simply for hobby and bragging rights. The same segment that drops $2k on a video card just so they can run the latest version of Crysis at max settings.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
What i'd really like to see is Samsung get together with Microsoft and Intel and simply put out the Teraflop PC for Power Users with like 10 TB of hard drive space that can be clouded for your devices running Windows Server 2012 and watch the Macheads go screaming into the night. Someone is going to do it, you could probably sell them to colleges pretty easy for academia and there is a small segment of PC users that would buy it simply for hobby and bragging rights. The same segment that drops $2k on a video card just so they can run the latest version of Crysis at max settings.

Don't hold your breath on that one.

Samsung to halt Windows RT tablet sales in Germany - Computerworld

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Samsung stills want to maintain a multiple platform strategy as the article there points out but is not wishing to uphere to the new licensing issues that MS is bringing in. The concern is also based on pricing for the same hardwares where the Android models are sold for far less. Samsung is making a marketing decision based on the only reason for the RT is to run Office 2013 and not for any other reason software wise.

The Ativ Tab is available from $780 at Amazon Germany. For that money consumers get a 1.5GHz dual core Qualcomm processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB internal memory and a 5 megapixel camera. The 32GB iPad, for example, is available for $429.

Otherwise, there are "no compelling reasons" to choose an RT tablet, besides maybe the availability of Microsoft Office 2013, Wood said. Even with Microsoft's own RT tablet, the Surface, most of the excitement was about the hardware and not the software, Wood added.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys

Don't hold your breath on that one.

Samsung to halt Windows RT tablet sales in Germany - Computerworld

Haha.. what does that have to do with anything at all? Obviously you don't know Samsung if you think there is any market they wouldn't enter or be interested in, if they thought money could be made. They are a very fluid company, they can bring products to market and ultimately jettison them in no time. They can do something like RT and it barely registers on their bottom line. Putting out a motherboard would be nothing for them and Intel allready has the daughterboard and i'd assume a driver. Honestly, given its a daughterboard, you probably don't even need Microsoft or Samsung and could just go with Win 8 off a regular board/chip and simply provide the ability to cloud its storage to a personal network via Hadoop.

What they really would really need though is a DirectX type of API for Common Computations via Parallel Processing. So whereas DirectX handles everything graphical having to do with a game, a DirectP so to say would handle stuff like weather, advanced AI, any hardcore calculations not normally handled by the video system. You could calculate orbital trajectories in real time, gravity, basically advanced game physics.. just all sorts of wild stuff if you had a teraflop card you could offload those calculations to.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
-- and I do think Ms made a mistake in releasing the RT BEFORE the surface pro. Normally you release your flagship product - then your cheaper and less featured models.

But BTW :

Not sure Brick would be a good idea in California -- especially for small buildings like individual houses. The Earth even when no earthquakes are actually felt is always moving and brick would fall apart quite quickly. Wood can easily be replaced and is reasonably pliable so small shifting earth movements won't damage the house too quickly. Wood has longevity too if you pick the right wood and treat it properly. It's also much more environmentally friendly than brick as well.

Yes the Pro needed attention first is what I believe. The thing is that RT was interesting as being the first ARM OS made by Microsoft. This has future all by itself if the ARM processors gain more market.

BTW:
The bricks do well on most environments but you're right about this one: deserts can sand-blast brick away and in salty - moisty airs they get eaten away by salt.

You're good to go, as you like it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard