Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed

Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed

Summary: The numbers are in and they don't lie. Windows 8 market adoption numbers are well behind Microsoft's greatest previous operating system failure, Vista.

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols for Between the Lines
March 4, 2013 -- 18:46 GMT (10:46 PST)

Windows fans will whine, but Net Applications' desktop operating systems numbers don't lie. Windows 8's pathetic user adoption numbers can't even keep up with Vista's lousy numbers.

win8vsvista-600x365.png

Windows 8 usage can't even keep up with Vista/s poor numbers. (Data from Net Applications)

The numbers speak for themselves. Vista, universally acknowledged as a failure, actually had significantly better adoption numbers than Windows 8. At similar points in their roll-outs, Vista had a desktop market share of 4.52% compared to Windows 8's share of 2.67%. Underlining just how poorly Windows 8's adoption has gone, Vista didn't even have the advantage of holiday season sales to boost its numbers. Tablets--and not Surface RT tablets--were what people bought last December, not Windows 8 PCs.

mobileosfeb2013-v1-600x268.png

Windows 8, and its relatives Windows Phone 8 and RT, make no impression at all in the smartphone and tablet markets. (Credit: Net Applications)

Windows 8's failure is actually greater than it appears. The tablet and phone markets in 2007 were next to non-existent. Now, in a market where NPD expects tablets to out sell notebooks by year's end, neither Windows 8 nor its cousins Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 even appear on NetApplication's mobile and tablet reports for February 2013. How bad is that? Android 1.6, with is tiny 0.02% of the market, does make the list.

I predicted that Windows 8 would be dead on arrival last year, but it's flopping even more than I thought it would be. So, why has Windows 8 been such a failure? Here's my list:

see full report

@Cokie

Highly doubt as they already have a TV box and that isn't really popular as it is..

Look at my post again - this time you might try actually reading it.

It might be rather more wide ranging than at first meets the eye

I don't know for sure Timmy is going to be able to fully implement what Jobsy was thinking - we shall find out in time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

What prevents one from doing that with a mouse or Wacom tablet and pen? Programs already do that by recognising what you have written/drawn and correcting the rough hand drawn text/image. In fact, a Wacom tablet and pen is much more adept at providing such a facility, as you are working in a natural environment, like drawing on paper. Additionally, you can have a large screen (projection or otherwise) and be sitting at a table well away from the screen and do such drawing. That's far better than standing in front of the screen and blocking the view from others.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
@Cokie,

Hmmm... the housing sector is doing poorly compared to 2007 when it was at its peak, so therefore the housing market has collapsed entirely and can't be saved.

In the UK a house is an investment. Like many other investments, values can fluctuate, as can the cost of finanacing it.

Win 8 is a consumer product. To be sold once and used for a short period of time.

Is there a point to your post?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

What prevents one from doing that with a mouse or Wacom tablet and pen? Programs already do that by recognising what you have written/drawn and correcting the rough hand drawn text/image. In fact, a Wacom tablet and pen is much more adept at providing such a facility, as you are working in a natural environment, like drawing on paper. Additionally, you can have a large screen (projection or otherwise) and be sitting at a table well away from the screen and do such drawing. That's far better than standing in front of the screen and blocking the view from others.
What prevents that is the software. If Windows had stayed with a mouse in Windows 8, that inspiration wouldn't had led to that idea of an intelligent sketch software. You can probably do that on a Surface Pro, but again, you wouldn't be able to do that with a mouse based desktop PC.

You could use a mouse, but no avid/professional digital artist will really use a mouse over a Wacom touch display or a Wacom pen tablet. It's NATURAL. Key word there. A mouse is not. Have you ever tried to snip out a precise piece from an image before with a mouse? It's an experience only described with S&M.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
@Cokie,

Hmmm... the housing sector is doing poorly compared to 2007 when it was at its peak, so therefore the housing market has collapsed entirely and can't be saved.

In the UK a house is an investment. Like many other investments, values can fluctuate, as can the cost of finanacing it.

Win 8 is a consumer product. To be sold once and used for a short period of time.

You interpret things strangely.

The comparison here is that two different times in the housing market are two different things that can't be really compared to each other to extrapolate information from. In 2007, housing was at its peak. Nowadays, it's barely picking back up. If you were to compare now to 2007 in the housing sector, you wouldn't say that right now, the market is awful and can't ever be back to 2007 levels because no one is buying houses right now and that's that. People had more money, or at least more available credit and questionable lending methods, than they do today. That is the parallel with the PC market and Windows 8. People bought a lot of PCs in 2007 to 2009, and they're not right now like they did before. Why? Probably because they had more money, or at least more available credit, than they do today. A PC is also an investment for some, 500-1,000 dollars isn't a three year ordeal, it's at least a five year durable good. Just because Windows 8 is on the new PCs that aren't selling like they did in 2007 with vista (worst OS in many years) doesn't mean it's because of the software.

THERE ARE MANY FACTORS HERE. One factor doesn't stand out.

By the way, that's the kind of thinking that lead to EVERY single dieting fad of the last decade. No calories, then no sugars, then no carbs, then no gluten. One factor doesn't make someone loss weight and be healthy. It's a variety of interdependent factors.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
What prevents that is the software. If Windows had stayed with a mouse in Windows 8, that inspiration wouldn't had led to that idea of an intelligent sketch software. You can probably do that on a Surface Pro, but again, you wouldn't be able to do that with a mouse based desktop PC.

You could use a mouse, but no avid/professional digital artist will really use a mouse over a Wacom touch display or a Wacom pen tablet. It's NATURAL. Key word there. A mouse is not. Have you ever tried to snip out a precise piece from an image before with a mouse? It's an experience only described with S&M.

The software is already here and has been in development for years (automatic correction of hand drawn diagrams - since the 90s). Where do you think text recognition comes from? One of the reasons that the Wacom tablet (ostensibly a touch screen) has grown so much and become so popular with graphics artist etc is because it's as natural and as accurate as drawing with a pen (not finger painting).

Nor did I say that one would use a mouse for very fine outlining etc, but if a fat finger is sufficient to outline something, then a mouse is going to be a lot better at the same task. BTW I have used a mouse to outline and separate objects from an image, that's why Photoshop (including third party plug-ins like Mask Pro) and other programs have smart software, so that you don't have to be precise with the outlining. But you knew this anyway, didn't you?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I didn't have time to read all the posts that came after mine, but I did skim thru them. I recently was at Best Buy because sooner or later I'm going to be in the market for a gaming laptop to replace the one I currently have, as well as an UltraBook. Quite a few of the laptops they had on display were touch-enabled. I tried them out and really enjoyed it. For the most part it was accurate and responsive, despite my big fingers. I really am looking forward to the day when all PCs and software fully support this. I was also reading recently on a technology being developed that can convert almost any standard non-touch monitor into a touch-enabled monitor. Not sure where I read it, but I was referred to the article by a friend.

But in the longer term, I hope to live to see the day when we can fully control any aspect of a PC by speaking, or even by thought. And one day, very far off in the future but maybe within a century, there may be PCs that utilize quantum physics technology. I've done enough reading and I'm slowly coming to believe that it will be possible sooner rather than later. With today's medicine advancing the way it is and extending the average human lifespan potentially by decades, it is quite likely. I've never been much interested in sci-fi but I do have alot of interest in this kind of thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3632QM, 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 720M, Intel HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Laptop/notebook keyboard/touchpad
    Internet Speed
    It varies, since I'm mobile most of the time
    Browser
    Chromium (the open-source browser which Google Chrome is derived from)
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Privatefirewall
    Other Info
    I will add more information here later
I didn't have time to read all the posts that came after mine, but I did skim thru them. I recently was at Best Buy because sooner or later I'm going to be in the market for a gaming laptop to replace the one I currently have, as well as an UltraBook. Quite a few of the laptops they had on display were touch-enabled. I tried them out and really enjoyed it. For the most part it was accurate and responsive, despite my big fingers. I really am looking forward to the day when all PCs and software fully support this. I was also reading recently on a technology being developed that can convert almost any standard non-touch monitor into a touch-enabled monitor. Not sure where I read it, but I was referred to the article by a friend.

But in the longer term, I hope to live to see the day when we can fully control any aspect of a PC by speaking, or even by thought. And one day, very far off in the future but maybe within a century, there may be PCs that utilize quantum physics technology. I've done enough reading and I'm slowly coming to believe that it will be possible sooner rather than later. With today's medicine advancing the way it is and extending the average human lifespan potentially by decades, it is quite likely. I've never been much interested in sci-fi but I do have alot of interest in this kind of thing.
Yeah according to some on this site you're not supposed to enjoy touch on a laptop or desktop, you could end up with Gorilla Arm. It is an exciting time in the history of computing, it's too bad there are people that are not like us and just want to be chained to their desktop by a keyboard and mouse.
Anything Microsoft does to embrace the future is just a slap in the face to some people, and yet these very same people claim to be dedicated Microsoft users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Are you back on that old excuse that win 8 is not selling because people don't want to spend?

Is that it?

Apple didn't have any trouble selling a lot of products in xmas season.

It wouldn't make any difference if 8 had only sold 12 copies. To you it would be the greates success of all time.

@Cokie,

You interpret things strangely.

The comparison here is that two different times in the housing market are two different things that can't be really compared to each other to extrapolate information from. In 2007, housing was at its peak. Nowadays, it's barely picking back up. If you were to compare now to 2007 in the housing sector, you wouldn't say that right now, the market is awful and can't ever be back to 2007 levels because no one is buying houses right now and that's that. People had more money, or at least more available credit and questionable lending methods, than they do today. That is the parallel with the PC market and Windows 8. People bought a lot of PCs in 2007 to 2009, and they're not right now like they did before. Why? Probably because they had more money, or at least more available credit, than they do today. A PC is also an investment for some, 500-1,000 dollars isn't a three year ordeal, it's at least a five year durable good. Just because Windows 8 is on the new PCs that aren't selling like they did in 2007 with vista (worst OS in many years) doesn't mean it's because of the software.

THERE ARE MANY FACTORS HERE. One factor doesn't stand out.

By the way, that's the kind of thinking that lead to EVERY single dieting fad of the last decade. No calories, then no sugars, then no carbs, then no gluten. One factor doesn't make someone loss weight and be healthy. It's a variety of interdependent factors.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Does Windows 8 really have to be a roaring success straight out of the gate, I'm pretty sure CDs weren't and from memory DVDs were even slower.

People are sometimes slow to adapt to new ways, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're a failure.
People hated XP and Windows 7, have a look at them now. Windows 8 is a huge step from either of these two so its only natural there's going to be some hesitation.

I breed Tropical Fish and have bred parrots, when you introduce a new food, doesn't matter how scrumptious looking, these animals reel back and are very suspicious. It can take days before they accept the new food. Although not all of them are like that, some are bolder than others, possibly Alpha Males.

Computers themselves didn't exactly start off with a bang, I was the only guy I knew for years with computers, long before they became popular.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Comparing the users to Parrotts now are you?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I am neither for or against Win 8 having said that I use an 8 machine only because the new HP computer I bought came with Win 8. Also, it seems there are a great many more articles indicating MS is having problems with getting Win 8 out to the public then the other way around.

It appears that also some of the retailers are having the same problem. Best Buy along with Staples are offering deals that seem as though they are having problems moving Win 8 machines and devices.

OEMs came out with their own Start menu gui replacements to bypass the "Modern" or "Metro" borrowed mistakenly from Windows RT and slapped on the desktop OS knowing sales would slump for new desktops. The negative reactions have been industry wide despite the W8 fan clubs due mainly to two factors 1) being the change 2)replacing a desktop(traditional and long accepted) gui to see a tablet "touch and swipe" gui on the wrong platform.

You're not going to change that fact simply claiming that this is the new trend when in actuality it was someone's brain dead idea that "it will look pretty having all look the same!" when actual functionality becomes impaired requiring more steps to perform the same tasks as well as hidden tool bars and hidden right click menus in order to get at things previously found in Start>Settings!

As for how retailers like Best Buy and Staples are handling things Staples stepped out in front mentioning their "free lessens on how to use 8" last fall following 8's launch knowing people were going to be stumped by the awkwardness of how things in 8 were changed.

Some like it, some (most) not...

But after seeing the charts: man! even Vista did better!

I use an 8 machine only because the new HP computer I bought came with Win 8.
:ditto: Yep, also HP here.

Vista fared better initially when first bringing in the Aero and gadgets along with the then new sidebar by including the "Classic Windows" options! For themes and appearance like a Start button instead of orb people had choices not seen with 8 as far as no Start>All Programs and Shutdown options where you can find them right from the start without any "search and destroy(slam head against wall)" brain death over how contorted things appear to be for everyone not being familiar with the CP and RP builds ahead of time but running out to buy a new pc and "what's this?".

When that old Vista case with a brand new drive just put in lately following a rebuild with new board, supply, cpu(upgraded cpu on 7 case and passed the 965 along), and DDR3 to replace the old DDR2 from the first board a frined decided to buy a slightly used 8 laptop when it seems the new drive installed in December is having problems. The first thing besides creating a new local account for the new owner was to... download and install Classic Shell so he would be able to use it without being stumped as he was already made aware that he wouldn't like the changes when previously shown snaps from the CP and RP desktops.

Here if I was only running 8 or any other OS I would "make it work" for me with whatever it took. But for the novice or simply non OS tweaking user who expects to see only a new look not a major gui overall when going out to buy a new pc to browse the web and check the mail the chief gui designer as reported in one article from SUN Microsystems had it correct when stating that 8 gui was more or less a disaster in the making since it doesn't work for the desktop environment.

Whether in love or hating the changes MS has made in 8 the one thing for certain is that the underlying core improvements are simply being drowned out by the contorted hind sight someone at MS made for 8. The first right off the bat is not seeing any options for the user to decide whether or not to use the RT gui or set Win 8 up for the long accepted desktop platform seeing the Start orb, menu, All Programs menu, and shutdown and settings all where you would expect to find them not explore Antartica looking for gold and getting frost bite instead!

Here it isn't actually the All Programs but lack Start as well as programs and settings right where you can find them in order to right click to copy and paste a new shortcut for each new program that lacks a desktop shortcut made by the installer to drag into the appropiate folder for the addon "Quick Launch" type tool bars right on the task bar itself where everything is launched from. In fact I now have RocketDock on the unchecked from startup except on rare occasions when the primary display is in use by a full screen app. The smart bar extensions over to the second monitor never include pinned items there unless the desktop is cloned or the task bar itself is cloned where you then see two Start orbs!

Now for the drab look of the Start screen that immediately saw too many complaints it was only a matter of time before ways to customize things like changing the background(ugly as H) to something else was to be found. You will now find guides for customizing the Start screen, bypassing that upon starting Win 8 up as well as changing the background for the new Lock screen. I knew that would only be a matter of time and expect to see more options as time goes along.

The largest URK with 8 however is the need to go for some 3rd party ware since MS deployed hindsighted thinking into forcing the RT gui on people from the start.Without touchscreen or not wanting it to begin with you are still stuck with a tablet gui without any options provided by MS which is the line to be crossed when people first get into 8 and then want out in a fast hurry! Too many jumped on it too fast just because it was new just like every other version when first out before "looking into it first" and then were dismayed.

The main reason the bug laden XP lasted even this long is that MS took longer then usual to see Vista finally out and then understating the correct system requirements where people running old pcs were stumped. Vista on under required hardwares thought it was a bloat OS instead of simply needing an updated system requirements MS failed on there to satisfy OEMs selling underequipped pcs with it installed on which regardless of how more stable it was didn't go over well. At least once people got into that with better hardwares they found they liked it some now even better then 7! Some went back from 7 to Vista for that reason.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Difference of architecture

View attachment 17775

Windows 7
Victorian house with all the bells and whistles. Designed more on the vertical line. Quite nice if one likes this sort of style. Functions well.

View attachment 17776

Windows 8
Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water. Ingenious. Designed more on the horizontal line. Flows well. A whole new look. This is more aesthetically pleasing to me.

To each their own. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
By and large, all that you put out doesn't matter. If you don't like the UI, especially if you don't have a touchscreen, thats why there is Windows 7. We're 5 months in and nothing is stopping me from buying 7 off NewEgg. I have a feeling Microsoft is going to continue selling it for some time to come for people that have the intention of sunsetting their PC's in favor of mobile devices.

Mobile Devices, especially the convertibles, are going to be the Killer App for Windows 8, because its going to introduce a lot of people to the touch UI that Windows 8 introduced that they never saw on their old PC. And as they get used to it, those people that continue to have a workstation for serious calculations(i.e. playing Crysis, and other PC games, amongst other applications :p) are going to go touchscreen for Windows to bring the two UI's into line. Its simply a smoother and easier way to interface to your applications, once you learn it and find a form factor you like.

Keyboard and mouse aren't really going anywhere, there are gaming applications for which they are absolutely essential(i.e.y Action RPG's)

-----

I am neither for or against Win 8 having said that I use an 8 machine only because the new HP computer I bought came with Win 8. Also, it seems there are a great many more articles indicating MS is having problems with getting Win 8 out to the public then the other way around.

It appears that also some of the retailers are having the same problem. Best Buy along with Staples are offering deals that seem as though they are having problems moving Win 8 machines and devices.

OEMs came out with their own Start menu gui replacements to bypass the "Modern" or "Metro" borrowed mistakenly from Windows RT and slapped on the desktop OS knowing sales would slump for new desktops. The negative reactions have been industry wide despite the W8 fan clubs due mainly to two factors 1) being the change 2)replacing a desktop(traditional and long accepted) gui to see a tablet "touch and swipe" gui on the wrong platform.

*Clipped*

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Mobile Devices, especially the convertibles, are going to be the Killer App for Windows 8, because its going to introduce a lot of people to the touch UI that Windows 8 introduced that they never saw on their old PC.

You really do need to gain a better understanding of apps. Devices, mobile or otherwise, are not apps. Apps are little programs that you get off an app store to amuse yourself with when you have nothing important to do. People have been using apps on Apple and Android devices for years, the only 'killer' that Windows 8 has introduced is the desktop killer.

And as they get used to it, those people that continue to have a workstation for serious calculations(i.e. playing Crysis, and other PC games, amongst other applications :p) are going to go touchscreen for Windows to bring the two UI's into line. Its simply a smoother and easier way to interface to your applications, once you learn it and find a form factor you like.

I'd love to have a translation of this paragraph.

My Computer

System One

• OS

By and large, all that you put out doesn't matter. If you don't like the UI, especially if you don't have a touchscreen, thats why there is Windows 7. We're 5 months in and nothing is stopping me from buying 7 off NewEgg. I have a feeling Microsoft is going to continue selling it for some time to come for people that have the intention of sunsetting their PC's in favor of mobile devices.

Mobile Devices, especially the convertibles, are going to be the Killer App for Windows 8, because its going to introduce a lot of people to the touch UI that Windows 8 introduced that they never saw on their old PC. And as they get used to it, those people that continue to have a workstation for serious calculations(i.e. playing Crysis, and other PC games, amongst other applications :p) are going to go touchscreen for Windows to bring the two UI's into line. Its simply a smoother and easier way to interface to your applications, once you learn it and find a form factor you like.

Keyboard and mouse aren't really going anywhere, there are gaming applications for which they are absolutely essential(i.e.y Action RPG's)

-----

*Clipped*

Actually the article there points out that MS will likely be re-releasing 7 when 8 suffers too much as a fall back on OS. Win 7 was the champ right out of the box while 8 has a new twist of downturns not only with the RT gui but with stripping features out of the OS as well. The Media Center was added in back in 2005 with XP MCE to continue on with Vista. That was a late feature that won't be missed by everyone while the stripping away of video and dvd playback support in WMP on the other hand is stripping away something that was added into the player that came included in ME and support added with WMP 10 for XP.

Now comparing 7 to a Victorial masion would be an inaccurate analogy there since 7 brought in the MinWin kernel 8 is enjoying as opposed to the old school "Windows getting larger each time" problem that Vista was the fall guy for! MS did actually make the "best possible" decisions with 7 to see a working desktop OS from the start while 8 is a feeble attempt to incorporate Tablet and smart phone into the desktop environment which simply put fails.

And it isn't the Start orb, All Program and settings alone but the mishmash of the need to take 3-5 steps for what had been done with one or two! First you have to find the hidden mysteries, secret passage ways that would seem to fit the old Sherlock Holmes mystery in an old Victorian masion concept far better then the well thought out work that went into the previous version(s). 7 would fit the second photo far better from being well thought out ahead of time which is where MS was making actual progress!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
What mysteries, one click to the Desktop, bottom corner, right corner, hover mouse on the left side of screen and right mouse button. IOS has got a lot more hidden mysteries than Windows 8.

All Windows 8 takes is someone to explain just a couple of things and that's it, the rest is virtually Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Mobile Devices, especially the convertibles, are going to be the Killer App for Windows 8, because its going to introduce a lot of people to the touch UI that Windows 8 introduced that they never saw on their old PC.

You really do need to gain a better understanding of apps. Devices, mobile or otherwise, are not apps. Apps are little programs that you get off an app store to amuse yourself with when you have nothing important to do. People have been using apps on Apple and Android devices for years, the only 'killer' that Windows 8 has introduced is the desktop killer.

And as they get used to it, those people that continue to have a workstation for serious calculations(i.e. playing Crysis, and other PC games, amongst other applications :p) are going to go touchscreen for Windows to bring the two UI's into line. Its simply a smoother and easier way to interface to your applications, once you learn it and find a form factor you like.

I'd love to have a translation of this paragraph.

It's a good thing we've got you around to explain stuff Ray, I thought Chrisa sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Also Apps is now a generic term for programmes, saves a lot of typing.

I'll forgive you for your complete misunderstanding of Apps as you have no apprehension of iPads or Android tablets, suffice be it to say that what you said about them is utter rubbish.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back