Do you like the Windows 8 Release Preview?

Hello Poppa Bear.

I guess you are referring to Windows 8.

If you think so, that's ok.

I agree that the metro start page is not well thought out.
Loading the page with a hundred tiles is ridiculous.
I do not know what they were thinking !!!!!!

My quote from your posting was referring to the Classic Shell start menu.
There were so many complaints, that I just added that suggestion.
Lot's don't like it either.
Hard to please people ....

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
The point is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Win7 has a start menu that is almost universally accepted as the ultimate in efficiency. Everything is at your fingertips in a Start Menu orb the size of a dime ... not spread over 5 to God knows how many pages!

The results of this poll alone show that Win8, (and in particular Metro & the lack of the traditional Start Menu), has polarized windows users. It's almost an equal split of those for and against. For 40% of the current users to be disenchanted is a massive swing, whether it's in terms of commerce or politics or whatever!

The sad part is that like myself, many windows devotees would love to buy and install the retail version of W8, but it is simply too inefficient for serious desk top work.

Furthermore, many feel betrayed by Microsoft's departure from the traditional role of the supporter of desk top users. Which is further exacerbated by their attitude in refusing to provide an option to boot direct to the UI; which is like rubbing our noses in Metro salt every time we boot up; when they could easily provide an alternative.

Hell no!!! I'd rather use Linux than accept that from a company I've supported ever since I started using a personal comptuer. :cry:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st PC: Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail. 2nd PC: Vista Ulimtate 32bit OEM
    Self assembled
    CPU
    Ist PC: Intel quad core i7-960 2nd PC: Intel quad core i5-2400
    Motherboard
    DX58SO2 Extreme; Intel DH67CL
    Memory
    12GB Kingston DDR3 1300; 8GB DDR3 1300
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Graphics/Sound card; Onboard graphics
    Sound Card
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Graphics/Sound card; Onboard sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S24B300H; S23A350H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    124GB Corsair Performance SSD SATA3; 120GB Corsair Force SSD SATA3
    Case
    Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced; Centurion 5 II
    Cooling
    CPU, Back, Top & Rear extraction fans both PCs
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Multimedia
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Internet Speed
    Theoretical max 100MB/sec Actual 0.5MB/sec
getting off topic slightly...

I understand.
You like that double pane start menu.
It was nice.

There are some folks that always liked the classic old style of menu.
Like Windows 95, 98, ME, and Vista Classic.

Hard to please people...
Unfortunately for some,
Windows 8 is targeted to the younger generation who are comfortable with touch technology.
They might offer another version for business (maybe PRO)

You have made many good points.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
I don't mind using the Metro Start screen to launch programs. Its no different than clicking an Icon on my desktop except that I may have to press the Windows key to bring it up. it can be a pain if you have a lot of stuff there though as you have to scroll across the screen to get to stuff that's off screen. Most of what I have pinned to it is stuff that would otherwise be Pinned to my Taskbar. If I need to find something that's not there I just click all apps or start typing to open the search function.

My beef with Metro is that I can only run it on one monitor at a time. That and the fact that snap won't work because my 19 inch monitors aren't wide screen monitors. They are only 1280 pixels wide. :sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Every day I am warming to it more, I may even start shopping around for a nice big touch screen monitor for when W8 comes out and have a set up with a mouse, keyboard and touch screen :)

My only regret is I sold my windows tablet before in the last quarter of 2011 before I got a chance to test out on W8 :-(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Actually it just occurred to me that M$ have given us a choice of the same operating system in two formats.

There's Windows 8 Tablet cum Touch Phone & Windows 7 Desk Top. :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Self assembled
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB Kingston DDR3 1300; 8GB DDR3 1300
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Graphics/Sound card; Onboard graphics
    Sound Card
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Graphics/Sound card; Onboard sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S24B300H; S23A350H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    124GB Corsair Performance SSD SATA3; 120GB Corsair Force SSD SATA3
    Case
    Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced; Centurion 5 II
    Cooling
    CPU, Back, Top & Rear extraction fans both PCs
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Multimedia
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Internet Speed
    Theoretical max 100MB/sec Actual 0.5MB/sec
I like visual changes and all the others. But i faced more problems according to CP. I can not install ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 driver (BSoD) and some weird issues on Metro Apps. Anyway, i am going to make a clean install and use Power Saving GPU (ATI Radeon HD 4250).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 RP
    HP G62 B54ET Notebook PC
    CPU
    AMD Phenom™ II N830 Triple-Core Processor 2.10GHz Cores 3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200/5000 Series
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Mouse
    Logitech M150 Wireless Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Download: 0.79 Mb/s | Upload: 0.34 Mb/s
I am very impressed with the improvements they've made to Windows 8 in terms of performance, resource usage, and boot times. This thing flies, and is damn near anorexic compared to Vista and 7. It runs in as little as 128MB (Not even XP SP3 was usable in 128MB, though earlier versions of XP were).

Metro has been a challenge to get used to, and while i'm not a hater.. it is... difficult. I am trying to keep an open mind.

I love the new Explorer with Ribbon bar. I love the Client Hyper-V. I love Power User menu (Win-X).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Windows 8, and I think I can live with Metro and might even grow to like it someday.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
While I appreciate the efforts made under the hood, I just can't stand Metro. It gets in my workflow and in my nerves, so as much as I regret it, I must vote no. Fortunately my system is good enough that I don't notice much of a difference in daily performance so I don't feel like I'm missing out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
The point is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Win7 has a start menu that is almost universally accepted as the ultimate in efficiency. Everything is at your fingertips in a Start Menu orb the size of a dime ... not spread over 5 to God knows how many pages!

The results of this poll alone show that Win8, (and in particular Metro & the lack of the traditional Start Menu), has polarized windows users. It's almost an equal split of those for and against. For 40% of the current users to be disenchanted is a massive swing, whether it's in terms of commerce or politics or whatever!

The sad part is that like myself, many windows devotees would love to buy and install the retail version of W8, but it is simply too inefficient for serious desk top work.

Furthermore, many feel betrayed by Microsoft's departure from the traditional role of the supporter of desk top users. Which is further exacerbated by their attitude in refusing to provide an option to boot direct to the UI; which is like rubbing our noses in Metro salt every time we boot up; when they could easily provide an alternative.

Hell no!!! I'd rather use Linux than accept that from a company I've supported ever since I started using a personal comptuer. :cry:

The start menu looses its efficiency when you have A LOT of programs installed. I for one, had my start menu maxed out so it took a third of the Desktop. After using Windows 8 for about six months and going back to 7, it felt a little more difficult to find something because it was so easy on the Start Screen. I do a lot of Desktopping, and I end up being in the Start Screen for mere seconds when I need to open a program or open a Library. But I do like to troll around in a few apps though....

But may I ask (I've asked this a few times before), why do you not personally like the metro Start Screen? Is it solely because it doesn't go to the Desktop first?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

The start menu looses its efficiency when you have A LOT of programs installed. I for one, had my start menu maxed out so it took a third of the Desktop. After using Windows 8 for about six months and going back to 7, it felt a little more difficult to find something because it was so easy on the Start Screen. I do a lot of Desktopping, and I end up being in the Start Screen for mere seconds when I need to open a program or open a Library. But I do like to troll around in a few apps though....

100% agree. I have a lot of programs installed as well and get around the Metro screen quicker because I don't have to search through a ton of text to find something like I do in the start menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 & Windows 8 RP
In Windows 7 my main programs that I use almost every day were pined to my taskbar. It wasn't a big deal to go to the start menu and look for something I only used once in a while. If you just type into the search bar its pretty quick to find something obscure. It doesn't get in my way when I don't need it and its there when I do.

In Windows 8 my main programs that I use every day are on the main Metro screen. Metro is there when I first boot up. That's OK but it immediately disappears once I launch Outlook or IE. Every time I want to open another program I have to hit the Windows key or hunt for the tile in the corner of the screen to get it back. Even if you open it again, as soon as you change focus (I have dual monitors) it disappears again. Kind of makes the live tiles useless don't you think? I like having the taskbar across both monitors and having the Icon for that program on the monitor its open on, so I have resisted pinning any programs to my taskbar. You can only pin them to the taskbar on your main screen. It you do that though and open a program on your second monitor you end up with the icon on both taskbars/monitors? At this point I'm ready to just start pinning things back to my taskbar and avoiding metro as much as I can. Sometimes I feel like there are two operating systems running on my PC at the same time each one fighting the other.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Sometimes I feel like there are two operating systems running on my PC at the same time each one fighting the other.

Fair comment.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Microsoft should be listening more to the users.

Windows 8 would be (I think) better if they:
1) kept the Windows 7 start menu
added the option:
2) to switch to classic menu
3) to be able to detach or float the ORB
4) to resize the taskbar horizontally
5) to float the taskbar
6) to flip the taskbar and put the ORB on the bottom right and the tray on the left
7) to boot to desktop.

Also, they should rename the metro to the APP page or something like that.
(and not add installed programs to the metro UI)
Using the metro for Apps only !!

...And made the metro Internet Explorer flash, silverlight and plug-in friendly.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
In Windows 7 my main programs that I use almost every day were pined to my taskbar. It wasn't a big deal to go to the start menu and look for something I only used once in a while. If you just type into the search bar its pretty quick to find something obscure. It doesn't get in my way when I don't need it and its there when I do.

In Windows 8 my main programs that I use every day are on the main Metro screen. Metro is there when I first boot up. That's OK but it immediately disappears once I launch Outlook or IE. Every time I want to open another program I have to hit the Windows key or hunt for the tile in the corner of the screen to get it back. Even if you open it again, as soon as you change focus (I have dual monitors) it disappears again. Kind of makes the live tiles useless don't you think? I like having the taskbar across both monitors and having the Icon for that program on the monitor its open on, so I have resisted pinning any programs to my taskbar. You can only pin them to the taskbar on your main screen. It you do that though and open a program on your second monitor you end up with the icon on both taskbars/monitors? At this point I'm ready to just start pinning things back to my taskbar and avoiding metro as much as I can. Sometimes I feel like there are two operating systems running on my PC at the same time each one fighting the other.

Spot on.

If MS had taken a desktop centric view of their desktop OS, live tiles would have been something you could put ON your desktop like a gadget so, like gadgets, you could monitor them all the time with no flipping back and forth, then you could click on it to open it and that open Metro app could be sized and places anywhere on screen just like any other window.

Then in Tablet mode it would work as it does now.

Tablet mode and Desktop mode are vastly different things on vastly different hardware with vastly different purposes. A far better Win8 interface would have realised that and blended Metro INTO the desktop for desktop windows machines.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
I wouldn't mind Metro if it would just window like a regular Windows program. I'd like to be able to just pull it up and keep it up, and open another program on top of it without it disappearing if I want. Or even change focus to another app/screen without it disappearing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I wouldn't mind Metro if it would just window like a regular Windows program. I'd like to be able to just pull it up and keep it up, and open another program on top of it without it disappearing if I want. Or even change focus to another app/screen without it disappearing.

I could see that. Not as sophisticated or customizable, but it would be more useful that how it is now for power users that way I agree...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
There is definitely a lot of room for improvement.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
One Platform

It's not a question of whether you like Windows 8 or not. Some will, some won't.

The problem is very simply stated. It's obvious that Windows 8 is aimed at the tablet, touch phone market, at the expense of the serious desk top user.

Microsoft are economizing by having one operating system for all platforms: Desk top, laptop, tablet, note book and touch phone. Which pretty much makes all discussions in this forum of operating system format academic.

And all versions of Windows 8 prior to retail are simply promoting their primary push into the tablet, and more importantly, touch phone market.

M$ have simply become a corporate profit making company :cry: so the $$$$ logically come first; as opposed to the pioneering spirit of Bill Gates who cut his teeth building back yard experimental computer stuff, and was a true geek at heart.

Yesterday I spent over $1,000 buying parts to build a new computer as a birthday present for my elder son. And I bought him Windows 7 Ultimate. That's the first Win8 sale that didn't happen, because I had budgetted that money to build a new rig for the Win8 when the retail released. Since that wasn't gonna happen, and I had to build something, my son became the benificary of my geekish compulsiveness! :D In fact a free upgrade to Win8 retail when released was offered as part of the deal. Now that's desperation! My son took it, but only for his tablet.

I am very impressed with the improvements they've made to Windows 8 in terms of performance, resource usage, and boot times. This thing flies, and is damn near anorexic compared to Vista and 7.
As regards speed of Win7 versu Win8, with SSD SATA3 HD, and 12GB RAM and top end CPU & Mobo, my Win7 absolutely burns rubber it's so fast. Any faster and I'd probably go cross eyed trying to keep up with it.

The start menu looses its efficiency when you have A LOT of programs installed. I for one, had my start menu maxed out so it took a third of the Desktop.

But may I ask (I've asked this a few times before), why do you not personally like the metro Start Screen? Is it solely because it doesn't go to the Desktop first?
I find it hard to understand the logic of a maxed out alpha numeric start menu being harder than a maxed out Metro Start Menu. How long does it take to find a program in alphabetical order with sub-menus hidden? You just go to the letter in the alphabet which names the program you want. I've got 3 columns in my start menu and it takes about 2 seconds to find what I want. None of the system builders or techos in computer shops that I know personally, use tiles or icons. They all use alpha-numeric with cascading sub-menus.

On the other hand, with Metro, if your start menu is maxed out you must have 30 or 40 pages of tiles. And scrolling through that would be a nightmare, surely?

Answering your question re my preferences:

No it's not just the fact it doesn't go to desktop first. It's the fact that metro is totally useless for serious desktop users who multi-function, for reasons stated in many other places on this forum.

The second most important aggrevation is the fact that it is forced on you, when you don't want to use it. And unless you have a hacked legacy start menu, or umpteem desktop icons, and your taskbar pinning maxed out, you will either have to go off the desktop to Metro and back every time you open a new program. Blaaaahhh!:confused:

The most unacceptable aspect is the bloody minded attitude of Microsoft in refusing to consider offering any options to their army of legacy windows desk top users.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Self assembled
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory