Solved Can't network but can share drive

About "Reset". It is a totally new install of the OS and requires Activation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1750
    CPU
    Duo Core 2.5 G HZ
Yes we tried all that already :cool:
Yes, I was clarifying that what he said about refresh is incorrect. And, I didn't feel the need to look through all the posts to see if he had tried the other two. So, I ask if he had tried the other two suggesting implicitly that he try them if not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
Yes, I was clarifying that what he said about refresh is incorrect. And, I didn't feel the need to look through all the posts to see if he had tried the other two. So, I ask if he had tried the other two suggesting implicitly that he try them if not.

For some reason I thought that a refresh was the same as a reset, both new features and easily confused I guess. The reset sounds like it's the same as reinstalling Windows 8.

It looks like the guts "system files" were somehow ripped out of that system. :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
For some reason I thought that a refresh was the same as a reset, both new features and easily confused I guess. The reset sounds like it's the same as reinstalling Windows 8.

It looks like the guts "system files" were somehow ripped out of that system. :confused:

Yea, I have bruises all over me...:sick:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron 1750
    CPU
    Duo Core 2.5 G HZ

For some reason I thought that a refresh was the same as a reset, both new features and easily confused I guess. The reset sounds like it's the same as reinstalling Windows 8. :confused:

I don't think there is a system "re-installation" difference between refresh and reset--and, yes, "reset sounds like it's the same as reinstalling Windows." I can see why one might want to do a refresh rather than a reset if he believes that both Windows store apps and his files are "innocent" in regard to the extant problem. The individual's files should be well backed up whether doing a reset or refresh.

To me, Reset your PC—Removes everything and reinstalls Win8 as under refresh.

In contrast, as said above, to me Refresh your PC—Attempts to solve system problems by replacing system files without affecting user files (similar to what a repair install does WRT to system files at least under earlier Win versions). User files still should be backed up. Installed programs will have to be reinstalled except those from the Windows Store. A list of uninstalled programs is provided. Settings will be changed back to defaults.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

For some reason I thought that a refresh was the same as a reset, both new features and easily confused I guess. The reset sounds like it's the same as reinstalling Windows 8. :confused:

I don't think there is a system "re-installation" difference between refresh and reset--and, yes, "reset sounds like it's the same as reinstalling Windows." I can see why one might want to do a refresh rather than a reset if he believes that both Windows store apps and his files are "innocent" in regard to the extant problem. The individual's files should be well backed up whether doing a reset or refresh.

To me, Reset your PC—Removes everything and reinstalls Win8 as under refresh.

In contrast, as said above, to me Refresh your PC—Attempts to solve system problems by replacing system files without affecting user files (similar to what a repair install does WRT to system files at least under earlier Win versions). User files still should be backed up. Installed programs will have to be reinstalled except those from the Windows Store. A list of uninstalled programs is provided. Settings will be changed back to defaults.

znod, I didn't fully understand your post, so here is a actual case study :-(
What I did first was a Refresh and it reloaded all of my custom settings and that did not work; I had the same exact problem (I ran sfc/scannow after the Refresh and it said that everything was ok). I then did a Reset and Reset cleans all data from the HD/partition and re-installs a complete new set of files which is what causes you to have to Activate after completion that isn't required for a Refresh. In other words, Reset is an original install on a newly formatted disk; the installation warns you before it does the Reset that it is going to delete everything and install new operating system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron 1750
    CPU
    Duo Core 2.5 G HZ
I think we agree essentially, but my understanding is that refresh returns settings to defaults. But, you saw something else happen, so i assume you are right. I will check my sources again.

Edit: This source, which I respect, says you are right about refresh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
I think we agree essentially, but my understanding is that refresh returns settings to defaults. But, you saw something else happen, so i assume you are right. I will check my sources again.

Edit: This source, which I respect, says you are right about refresh.

The important thing is that we now have correct information in case someone does not have the activation code and "think" they want to do a Reset; that would be bad news...:doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron 1750
    CPU
    Duo Core 2.5 G HZ
Back