Solved All USB ports not working. Suspected USB driver issues

But then again I tried this on whats listed as an unknown device, whats coming up as a warning.

Whats an "enhanced" controller?
By definition, USB 2.x controllers have the number 2 and/or the word "enhanced" in the device name. We were installing the drivers for your USB 2.x controllers. (enhanced was in the device name)

Device Manager logs install/uninstall device attempts. The log file isn't easy to read.. but i understand some of it. Might give a better clue to your problem. Probably won't be able to review it get back to you till later this evening (is noon by me now)

Upload this file from your computer and attach to your next post C:\Windows\Inf\setupapi.dev.log.
It's the Device Manager install/uninstall logfile

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
But then again I tried this on whats listed as an unknown device, whats coming up as a warning.

Whats an "enhanced" controller?
By definition, USB 2.x controllers have the number 2 and/or the word "enhanced" in the device name. We were installing the drivers for your USB 2.x controllers. (enhanced was in the device name)

Device Manager logs install/uninstall device attempts. The log file isn't easy to read.. but i understand some of it. Might give a better clue to your problem. Probably won't be able to review it get back to you till later this evening (is noon by me now)

Upload this file from your computer and attach to your next post C:\Windows\Inf\setupapi.dev.log.
It's the Device Manager install/uninstall logfile

View attachment setupapi.dev.rar

The log file was too big so I compressed it into a .rar, and no worries. Ill try and stay up till you get back. Almost midnight here. If not Ill probably be waking up in 9 or 10 hours.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Computer Geek is awesome for helping..

but this is absolutely ridiculous that your computer doesn't want to install the correct drivers for your model MSI Laptop. You either changed/uninstalled/tweaked or more likely got a virus/malware which deletes/renders your USB/chipset useless..

this is ridiculous that's it's been over a week just to install drivers for a chipset??

It's time for a Factory Restore that MSI should have built in..

Some do not have Built in.. lets pray to god you have it. ha

notincclueded.JPG

Do you have anything MSI related on your computer to recover? It has to be a MSI program.. not the regular windows recovery..

type MSI in Search Charm bar..

searchmsi.JPG

also try this..

but backup all your documents and things you want cause it's gonna disappear!

[video=youtube;xCa-m_XmKXE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCa-m_XmKXE[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Ill leave this as my last alternative brooksndun. If ComputerGeek cant figure it out I guess I'll have nothing left to try except restoring to factory defaults.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
If you just make a macrium image of your system with the CD's (if they are large enough to hold your image!) you can try this out right after you make the ;

1. Recovery Macrium Cd

2. Macrium Image..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
If you just make a macrium image of your system with the CD's (if they are large enough to hold your image!) you can try this out right after you make the ;

1. Recovery Macrium Cd

2. Macrium Image..

And I'd love to do that... if only it would install.

When I try to install it, the installer opens for a second or less and closes immediately.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Your joking right?

So you can't install a program that is used by millions? That's what I'm talking about man.. you are infected..

Did you download it from here?

Welcome Macrium Reflect Free users

you dont get this do you??

macriuminstall.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Your joking right?

So you can't install a program that is used by millions? That's what I'm talking about man.. you are infected..

Did you download it from here?

Welcome Macrium Reflect Free users

you dont get this do you??

View attachment 66812

Yes i downloaded it from Macrium's website and no that is not the message I get. I managed to get a print screen of it.

Here's what pops up.

Macrium.png

Which I'm guessing is the download manager.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
ok untick the "run after install"

and download it.. maybe you already did??

and it just does nothing after it downloads?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
haha.. man that just makes no sense..

run

sfc /scannow in a command prompt..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
good lord man.. haha.. did you ever try to uninstall the USB/chipset drivers from

Add/remove programs?

then reinstall the drivers chipset?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Unfortunately, your case of USB "driver corruption" isn't the typical case i've found that's often fixed with a few file tweaks. So i'm unable to help manually fixing the driver files :(

That said, I agree with brooksndun
> Uninstall any driver installation you find listed under Programs and Features
> You can try reinstalling the chipset drivers found on the vendor website

If you're having trouble installing Macrium, you can also try installing it in Safe Mode. To do so, you first need to set Microsoft installer (MSI) service to startup in Safe Mode. (Assuming Macrium uses the MSI installer. Am guessing it does)
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-installer-work-in-safe-mode

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Hey guys, so I've finally got Macrium installed, doing it in safe mode helped. It allowed the download manager to work, but then I could only install it with safe mode disabled.

Now. I'm sorry if this is what you meant before brooksndun, but I do have two hard drives on this laptop, an SSD and HDD (SSD for OS and such). Would it be a good idea to make the recovery image on the HDD?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
oh gooooood lord man...

so you can only install macrium in normal boot up mode? safe mode?? yeah... you aren't "infected" with something.. ha.. jesus..

What did you download? you pirate you ... haha..

look, whatever.. when do you go home anyway? aren't you on vacation?

for these purposes, you could use the secondary HD as a home for the image.. but it would format 1 of the drives.. so you would lose everything.. which it sounds like you will anyway.. you need a clean install.. I would get the idea the heck out of your head to try to fix your system as is.. you have something either eating from the inside, or tweaked/deleted/changed settings that are not worth finding at this point....

You said you ran Eset online scanner? it may be time to go to Bleeping Computer and tell them what is going on and they have programs that run and see whats on your computer and then they tell you what to delete.. all for Free by the way..

Are you willing to lose everything? It's time to delete your virus.. haha

If you could even run Macrium, you would make an image of your system as is right now so you could always go back to your infected system if you wanted..

but apparently you can't even install Macrium??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I had a thought.. and went back to skim the thread. Do you need an image backup? or do you just need a data file/folder backup? or do you need a backup at all?
<snip>I do have two hard drives on this laptop, an SSD and HDD (SSD for OS and such). Would it be a good idea to make the recovery image on the HDD?
Are you saying the OS is on the SSD and your data on the other drive? If so a reinstall on the SSD won't touch your data

On the one hand, I think you only need to do an image backup if you might want restore (OS + data). You don't need an image backup if it's only data you're worried about here. On the other hand, you may appreciate the benefit of being able to do image backups on a periodic basis so one can restore corrupt systems. In which case, you might invest in a copy of Macrium or Acronis True Image.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Yes the OS is on the SSD, but also doc's and such. The only thing I put on the HDD is Steam and games.

Trust me brooksndun, I quit the pirate life before getting this laptop and I only get back home in 2 months.
Also brooksndun whats Eset online scanner? Is Bleeping Computer a store? I have installed Macrium, sorry for not making it clear.

Before my flight to Dubai, I did use my laptop to charge my dads phone. He thinks it was charging but I have no idea, I never looked at it. So this could have been the last time the USB's worked.

I already got the files I wanted on disc. Isn't much I REALLY care for, just Uni work and save data.

So... I'm ready to do a factory reset.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
So problems fixed now.

In windows 8.1 when you select restart while holding shift, windows will bring up some extra options, alternatively you can bring this up by hitting F3 on boot.

Anyways I followed what the MSI support member told me to do, and "refreshed" my laptop. I think this set everything to factory default except it kept my user data files.

Is this good enough or should I do a full reset to factory default?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back