Solved All USB ports not working. Suspected USB driver issues

holy moly buddy.. and it's christmas!

nobody should have to deal with computer problems at this time of year!

please try and I don't know why anyone else isn't chiming in on this forum... but please try installing the Intel managment engine.. it's on your drivers page ..

try also installing the card reader

MSI Global
Lastly you can try to install the intel usb drivers.. see what that does..

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...l-8-9-100-Series-and-C220-C610-Chipset-Family

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
holy moly buddy.. and it's christmas!

nobody should have to deal with computer problems at this time of year!

please try and I don't know why anyone else isn't chiming in on this forum... but please try installing the Intel managment engine.. it's on your drivers page ..

try also installing the card reader

MSI Global
Lastly you can try to install the intel usb drivers.. see what that does..

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...l-8-9-100-Series-and-C220-C610-Chipset-Family

Installed Intel Management Engine. No joy.

Installed Card Reader. No joy.

Tried to Install the Intel USB Chipset from Intel. No joy.

Without compatibility troubleshooting it says PC does not meet minimum requirements.

With compatibility troubleshooting for win 7 (which the chipset driver is available for), it says again PC does not meet minimum requirements.

Btw, Thanks for helping me out so much brooksndun.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Seriously man, ha.. what did you change to create this mess? you definitely changed something.. MSI doesn't ship out it's gaming computers with exclamation marks in Device manager....

the only other thing left to try is to install every single one of the drivers on the MSI page for your computer.. (except intel rapid share..) haha..

I do see firmware and bios updates on your MSI page as well... but those for sure 100% require backup images before you attempt those.. with macrium reflect etc..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I hardly use this laptop. I only use it when I need mobility since I prefer using my desktop.

Went on a trip to Perth, USB's were all working fine. Came back to Singapore didn't use it for a week, installed two games on steam and did a Windows update a day or two before leaving.

Arrive in Dubai, try using USB and discover they don't work anymore.

I've been in contact with MSI support and this is they're latest reply

"It seems that you didn't install intel chipset driver successfully.Please download and unzip chipset drivers to the desktop.Then right click the Intel (R) Series 8 C220 USB drivers,choose update driver software,Browse my computer for driver software.Then choose the driver software in the location and install it.
After installation,please go to device manager,and check whether there has"!"in device manager.If yes,it means that the driver is not installed properly.You need to reinstall it.

If you are still unable to install it,I advise you to recover your operation system to manufactory default setting by F3.The method is as following.
(1)Restart the laptop, then press F3.Then you will see preparing automatic repair.
(2)Wait a moment, it will pop a window[choose an option].
(3)choose troubleshoot
(4)Then please recovery your system without losing files by choosing refresh your PC. Then please double confirm the issue.
Thank you!"

I'm 100% sure I've installed these drivers correctly. I haven't restored to factory default on a laptop in maybe 8 years or so... I don't remember. Are laptops able to do so without deleting personal files now? I guess I'll have no choice but to go for this method if uninstalling the chipset driver does not work out

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
your personal files will be deleted if you factory restore.. now you will start to see the benefits of macrium that I was talking about earlier.

Well You could use macrium and make an image of you drive.. and then also have made a USB or CD recovery with macrium.. and then try the factory restore.. and see if the device manager shows everything correct.. then you would look at the drivers if they are correct and write down exactly the numbers and names it says in device manager.. which will probably just not help at all ha..

how about doing what MSI said in "safe mode"

windows 8 safe mode.. try installing the drivers both in all methods in safe mode..

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2757-safe-mode-start-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
your personal files will be deleted if you factory restore.. now you will start to see the benefits of macrium that I was talking about earlier.

Well You could use macrium and make an image of you drive.. and then also have made a USB or CD recovery with macrium.. and then try the factory restore.. and see if the device manager shows everything correct.. then you would look at the drivers if they are correct and write down exactly the numbers and names it says in device manager.. which will probably just not help at all ha..

how about doing what MSI said in "safe mode"

windows 8 safe mode.. try installing the drivers both in all methods in safe mode..

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2757-safe-mode-start-windows-8-a.html

Yep I try managed to get some CDs last night

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
ok well.. only problem is CD's probably won't hold your hard drive! haha.. but see what macrium says when you try to make a backup image..

remember to watch the videos.. you have to select all the partitions.. if you don't understand ask me I'll show you by picture..

or like this..

http://www.tenforums.com/attachment...macrium-what-image-macrium-imaging-screen.png

or

select.JPG

there is also "compression" settings you'll want to choose and that might help fit it on CD's... its somewhere in the options.. look through the options too...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Come on man! I'm dying to know what you ended up doing.. haha.. I love hearing about complete disaster computer stories or hopefully success stories..

so were you able to image it?? and then did you ever think about Factory restore from your MSI program? (not windows factory restore)..

did you save your documents and bookmarks and everything? whats the update!?
etc..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I just skimmed the thread so I'll just ask: Are you still having problems with your USB controllers as shown in your first post? I've seen those symptoms and in many cases solved the problem before. It's typically caused by either:
> Microsoft usb controller driver is corrupt and/or
> A 3rd party driver filter is interfering with the usb controller driver

So before starting down that path... are you still having the problem? I yes, start by providing a Problem Device report
List any Problem devices
  • Click the Start Orb, type msinfo32 in the search box. Hit Enter
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Okay guys, sorry for not posting in a while. Got pretty busy round Christmas.

I've tried installing Macrium. And as soon as I launch the installer, it flashes the installer for a second and then immediately closes. Same thing for troubleshoot compatibility for windows 7. Haven't gone through the last three posts yet, so will try as they suggest after this post.

Oh and btw they're DVD's... if it makes any difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I just skimmed the thread so I'll just ask: Are you still having problems with your USB controllers as shown in your first post? I've seen those symptoms and in many cases solved the problem before. It's typically caused by either:
> Microsoft usb controller driver is corrupt and/or
> A 3rd party driver filter is interfering with the usb controller driver

So before starting down that path... are you still having the problem? I yes, start by providing a Problem Device report
List any Problem devices
  • Click the Start Orb, type msinfo32 in the search box. Hit Enter
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Did as you said, and here you go.

Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series USB EHCI #1 - 8C26 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C26&SUBSYS_11381462&REV_05\3&11583659&1&E8 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series USB EHCI #2 - 8C2D PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C2D&SUBSYS_11381462&REV_05\3&11583659&1&D0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available USB\ROOT_HUB30\4&143A614A&2&0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Yep. Looks like the driver files are corrupt. First, set Windows to display know extensions (makes it easier to do the next steps)
  • Control Panel->Folder Options->View
  • Uncheck "Hide extensions for know file types"

Tell me which of these files are (or aren't) there

1. C:\Windows\inf\usbport.inf
  2. C:\Windows\inf\usbport.pnf
  3. C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
  4. C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
  5. C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys

/* EDIT */
Fixed typo. File 4 should be usbhub.sys

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
None??? That's odd. But in any case, we'll manually restore and see if Windows will do the rest.

1. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
  2. Now scroll down looking for folder names that start with usbport.inf. There may be more then one folder name starting usbport.inf. If so,choose the folder with the most recent time/date stamp.
  3. You'll find copies of the files in the folder
> Copy usbport.inf to C:\Windows\inf\usbport.inf
> Copy usbport.pnf to C:\Windows\inf\usbport.pnf

Reboot your computer. On startup, does Windows reinstall the driver?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
None??? That's odd. But in any case, we'll manually restore and see if Windows will do the rest.

1. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
  2. Now scroll down looking for folder names that start with usbport.inf. There may be more then one folder name starting usbport.inf. If so,choose the folder with the most recent time/date stamp.
  3. You'll find copies of the files in the folder
> Copy usbport.inf to C:\Windows\inf\usbport.inf
> Copy usbport.pnf to C:\Windows\inf\usbport.pnf

Reboot your computer. On startup, does Windows reinstall the driver?

Okay trying this now. The folders name was usbport.inf_amd64_5b9f5e3f7703e95d, Are these amd drivers? Does this have any relevance to my problem?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Just rebooted, windows did not re-install the driver on start up. Or if it did I'm not sure how to check.

Either way, still showing warning signs as before in device manger.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
So I went into device manager and tried manually updating the drivers. Only 2 did. Now I'm left with three different warnings.

No usb's working.

Here's an updated Problem devices from msinfo32:

Not Available USB\ROOT_HUB30\4&143A614A&2&0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&3681B103&1 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&317533BD&1 The drivers for this device are not installed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Okay trying this now. The folders name was usbport.inf_amd64_5b9f5e3f7703e95d, Are these amd drivers? Does this have any relevance to my problem?
Not a problem. That's just naming convention for x64 driver

Let's try this next:
Right click an "enhanced" controller->Update Driver. Browse your computer for the driver and browse to the usbport.inf_amd64_5b9f5e3f7703e95d folder

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Good work! You were a step ahead of me.

The Root Hubs use the same driver installation files. So manually update the hubs as well pointing to same files as before

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Not a problem. That's just naming convention for x64 driver

Let's try this next:
Right click an "enhanced" controller->Update Driver. Browse your computer for the driver and browse to the usbport.inf_amd64_5b9f5e3f7703e95d folder

Tried it, says "Windows could not find driver software for your device".

But then again I tried this on whats listed as an unknown device, whats coming up as a warning.

Whats an "enhanced" controller?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back