Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How Windows 8 will shake up the laptop market

  1. #21


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    ^ What he said, Hybreads have keyboards and some have an additional touch pad just like a laptop does. You can ignore the touch screen and use it just like a laptop if you wish. You can also undock it or flip the screen and use it like a tablet with the touch screen. I'd rather have that any day over a regular laptop even if the screen is smaller.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Hafnarfjörđur IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    ^ What he said, Hybreads have keyboards and some have an additional touch pad just like a laptop does. You can ignore the touch screen and use it just like a laptop if you wish. You can also undock it or flip the screen and use it like a tablet with the touch screen. I'd rather have that any day over a regular laptop even if the screen is smaller.
    Hi there
    Hybrids sound OK but how many of them actually exist that run genuine Windows apps, have decent USB / hardware connectivity, and have a decent processor in them.

    I haven't seen any yet so far and the few hybrids that currently exist cost far more than a decently equipped small laptop (not "Netbook") .


    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    Hybrids sound OK but how many of them actually exist that run genuine Windows apps, have decent USB / hardware connectivity, and have a decent processor in them.

    I haven't seen any yet so far and the few hybrids that currently exist cost far more than a decently equipped small laptop (not "Netbook") .

    Cheers
    jimbo
    You haven't seen them because they haven't been released but all you need to do is read up on some tech news to see what is coming this fall from a number of OEMs. One example is the Surface Pro, available with 128GB SSD, Core i5 Proc, USB 3.0, Display Port for secondary monitor, SD Card Reader and yes it runs genuine Windows apps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    There are several hybrids that are powered by an Intel chip from Toshiba, I think Samsung, and ASUS.

    You know, I might just as well video myself at my local not so best buy using Office with touch on the RT tablets just to show it CAN be done. I'm curious myself to see how touch optimized Office 2013 is.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    ^ What he said, Hybreads have keyboards and some have an additional touch pad just like a laptop does. You can ignore the touch screen and use it just like a laptop if you wish. You can also undock it or flip the screen and use it like a tablet with the touch screen. I'd rather have that any day over a regular laptop even if the screen is smaller.
    Hi there
    Hybrids sound OK but how many of them actually exist that run genuine Windows apps, have decent USB / hardware connectivity, and have a decent processor in them.

    I haven't seen any yet so far and the few hybrids that currently exist cost far more than a decently equipped small laptop (not "Netbook") .


    Cheers
    jimbo
    Its no surprise that they will cost more. Touch screen, detachable dock. I'd like to have one, didn't say I could afford it though.
    As touch screens become more prevalent and are mass produced, cost will come down. Then just about everything will have one.
    lol, one of the big mods to the first netbooks was adding a touch screen. I don't do spread sheets etc so I could sacrifice a smaller screen to find something I can afford. If I go ASUS I could buy the tablet first and the dock latter on. The way things are going though, with mu budget, I'll likely end up with a decent sized mid rang laptop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Hafnarfjörđur IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    ^ What he said, Hybreads have keyboards and some have an additional touch pad just like a laptop does. You can ignore the touch screen and use it just like a laptop if you wish. You can also undock it or flip the screen and use it like a tablet with the touch screen. I'd rather have that any day over a regular laptop even if the screen is smaller.
    Hi there
    Hybrids sound OK but how many of them actually exist that run genuine Windows apps, have decent USB / hardware connectivity, and have a decent processor in them.

    I haven't seen any yet so far and the few hybrids that currently exist cost far more than a decently equipped small laptop (not "Netbook") .


    Cheers
    jimbo
    Its no surprise that they will cost more. Touch screen, detachable dock. I'd like to have one, didn't say I could afford it though.
    As touch screens become more prevalent and are mass produced, cost will come down. Then just about everything will have one.
    lol, one of the big mods to the first netbooks was adding a touch screen. I don't do spread sheets etc so I could sacrifice a smaller screen to find something I can afford. If I go ASUS I could buy the tablet first and the dock latter on. The way things are going though, with mu budget, I'll likely end up with a decent sized mid rang laptop.
    Hi there
    You say you don't do spread sheets -- no problem -- but this is EXACTLY the problem we are having with the "Touch screen fanboys" on this site.

    It simply isn't POSSIBLE in any shape or form to do a lot of "traditional PC processing" on a tablet / or a touch screen.

    People who use Ipads / tablets at work are usually either displaying content from the web / local LAN / company Intranet or just showing an already prepared presentation on a projector.

    Nothing wrong with that but believe me these types of devices are not suitable in any shape or form for CREATING this type of content (EXCEL / POWER POINT / WORD / VIDEO / etc etc.)

    As for doing any sort of I.T development say using Visual studio on an Ipad type device -- the idea is so stupid that it's not even worth commenting on.

    People have to realize Ms made a bo-bo on this one -- you DO need a traditional desktop plus multi monitors for a whole host of traditional applications.

    You can use (with difficulty) the start menu screen for some applications but once you get into highly complex areas like SAP then forget it --W7 rules the roost here and will continue to do so.

    We have two totally different sets of users -- Mobile ones who could use touch screens and one off full screen applications in Metro mode and traditional office / design / I.T development type of people who really need the traditional desktop as Metro / full screen doesn't offer anything at all.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Thanks Jimbo, it seems there are far more casual users of the OS...even if they think they are truly Power Users.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    you DO need a traditional desktop plus multi monitors for a whole host of traditional applications.
    Which you can all do with a hybrid Windows 8 Pro laptop\tablet, it's not that difficult of a concept to understand. I can take a Surface Pro tablet and add a keyboard and mouse plus an external monitor to the display port, if I want more monitors I can use some USB to VGA\DVI adapters and plug in some more with my on board USB 3.0 ports. I can then run all the spreadsheets I want, Visual Studio, SAP applications and many more. PLUS!! I can distribute those in multiple windows across all my desktop monitors just like I would in Windows 7. All this while never bringing up Metro Apps in the process or even touch my tablets screen if I don't want to.

    I'm not talking about iPad devices or Windows 8 RT tablets that ONLY run Apps. Not wanting to do it with a Windows Pro tablet is one thing, saying that you can't do it is ignorance.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    So Jimbo, if a hybrid can do anything a laptop can do whats to stop you from doing a spread sheet on one. I do understand what you're saying, as I'm posting this from my dual display desktop PC that I don't plan on giving up any time soon. Aside from "maybe" having a smaller screen, the hybrid is going to have a keyboard etc. There is nothing forcing you to use the touch screen. You act like its doomed just because it has a touch screen on it. I would imagine some of them will let you connect an external display and run dual monitors to. sounds like a very good BYOD to me?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Hafnarfjörđur IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    you DO need a traditional desktop plus multi monitors for a whole host of traditional applications.
    Which you can all do with a hybrid Windows 8 Pro laptop\tablet, it's not that difficult of a concept to understand. I can take a Surface Pro tablet and add a keyboard and mouse plus an external monitor to the display port, if I want more monitors I can use some USB to VGA\DVI adapters and plug in some more with my on board USB 3.0 ports. I can then run all the spreadsheets I want, Visual Studio, SAP applications and many more. PLUS!! I can distribute those in multiple windows across all my desktop monitors just like I would in Windows 7. All this while never bringing up Metro Apps in the process or even touch my tablets screen if I don't want to.

    I'm not talking about iPad devices or Windows 8 RT tablets that ONLY run Apps. Not wanting to do it with a Windows Pro tablet is one thing, saying that you can't do it is ignorance.
    Hi there

    This is total B/S -- there is NO WAY on the known universe that you could even THINK about doing any type of SAP development using a Metro type screen.

    Before posting supposedly contradictory arguments like you have done please UNDERSTAND what SAP development entails --and THINK BEFORE you post your answer.

    I suggest you google on SAP ABAP and more relevantly SAP ABAP WEB DYNPRO.

    Once you've done that you might understand my post as it's clear you haven't understood it in the first place.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
How Windows 8 will shake up the laptop market
Related Threads
Read more here: Hidden jokes exposed in Microsoft's code | Fox News
Windows 8 Grabs 5.42% of the OS Market
http://i39.tinypic.com/2lsfntt.png Source A Guy
How to market Windows 8 in Windows 8 News
Microsoft Releases a New Round of Cringe Worthy Ads | Maximum PC
Okay, let me get this straight. Did Microsoft just kill the Windows tablet OEM market? | ZDNet
Microsoft to shake-up Windows 8 Start screen Full article Available here >> Microsoft to shake-up Windows 8 Start screen | News | PC Pro
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook