How Windows 8 will shake up the laptop market

Starting October 26, laptop shoppers will be inundated with a flood of new PCs designed around Microsoft's new operating system. In fact, I've counted about 50 new laptops, tablets, hybrids, convertibles, and all-in-ones on my back-of-the-envelope list already.

A handful of these have already been announced, a healthy chunk will be announced early in October, and the rest will simply go on sale on October 26, alongside Windows 8.

Having seen a good number of these upcoming systems in person already, I can safely outline three big trendlines that will drive laptop and related device sales through the Windows 8 launch season and into 2013. If you're looking to buy a laptop anytime soon, keep these in mind as you dig through the dozens of upcoming new choices.

Here's what you need to know ahead of time.

Read more at source:
How Windows 8 will shake up the laptop market | Reviews - Laptops - CNET Reviews

I'm tapping this post out with my touch screen phone. I'm the opposite, I hate, hate, hate using physical keyboards on phones as I have to focus on hitting every letter correctly and therefore I'm slower. On a touch screen, I just fly.

Now, touch keyboards on tablets on the other hand suck hardcore for me. They usually aren't laid out like tradition keyboards but more like phone keyboards so they're basically not ergonoically correct.

pparks, have you every thought of using a stylus? Much more accurate than fingering.

Hi there
under any sort of measurement whatsoever typing on a traditional keyboard beats any sort of handwriting whether using an electronic stylus or "Classical Pen and Paper".

(Older "Text-ese" users might be able to "two thumb" enter text at a prodigious rate via a touch screen but those of us who never subscribed to the "Devil makes work for Idle thumbs" idea and aren't therefore used to "texting" in short hand will invariably find a classical keyboard far faster and more convenient for text entry).

On a smartphone a stylus might be OK but the newer smartphones like the Galaxy III s has a decent size screen - and even if you have hands the size of shovels you can still enter text via the touch screen. I HATE touch screens on computers however.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I'm hoping for the Surface Pro, and I'd like to purchase it.
RT will be like burning all other programs Windows has ever made. Laptops will die off, while PC's will almost be the main piece of the market, verses the tablet industry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro, iOS 7.1, Elementary OS
    Computer type
    Tablet
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Apple
    Memory
    1 GB
    Screen Resolution
    2048x1536
    Other Info
    iPad Air
I'm tapping this post out with my touch screen phone. I'm the opposite, I hate, hate, hate using physical keyboards on phones as I have to focus on hitting every letter correctly and therefore I'm slower. On a touch screen, I just fly.

Now, touch keyboards on tablets on the other hand suck hardcore for me. They usually aren't laid out like tradition keyboards but more like phone keyboards so they're basically not ergonoically correct.

pparks, have you every thought of using a stylus? Much more accurate than fingering.

Hi there
under any sort of measurement whatsoever typing on a traditional keyboard beats any sort of handwriting whether using an electronic stylus or "Classical Pen and Paper".

(Older "Text-ese" users might be able to "two thumb" enter text at a prodigious rate via a touch screen but those of us who never subscribed to the "Devil makes work for Idle thumbs" idea and aren't therefore used to "texting" in short hand will invariably find a classical keyboard far faster and more convenient for text entry).

On a smartphone a stylus might be OK but the newer smartphones like the Galaxy III s has a decent size screen - and even if you have hands the size of shovels you can still enter text via the touch screen. I HATE touch screens on computers however.

Cheers
jimbo
I'm not really talking about using a stylus for text input whatsoever, I suggest using a stylus for navigating around, if one wants to use a stylus for text input, one can.

I find touch is awesome for the PC all over, but a stylus I find would be best in general for navigating especially when you need precise input.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I would love to see you edit tables in Excel, Word, or any other application without a real mouse. Even laptop users carry mobile mice in their bags with them, even though laptops have always had their own version of the mouse with them for ages.

And at what point in my post did I even mention not using a mouse? As a matter of fact I clearly state plugging in a keyboard and mouse.

Alright, so, according to you, the "touch experience" should go like this.

1. Buy a tablet.
2. Attach a keyboard and a mouse.
3. Use the tablet.

Where does "touch" fit into this picture ? You are basically ending up with an underpowered laptop, with a limited selection of apps, and a much smaller screen, which supports touch but you must still use a keyboard and mouse to get work done.

Nice deal right there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise
    Custom Built
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    DX58SO
    Memory
    Kingston 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX580 Phantom
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG D2342P-PN
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB - eSATA
    PSU
    Corsair 850W
    Keyboard
    Razer Anansi
    Mouse
    Razer Naga Epic
    Internet Speed
    50Mbps/50Mbps
I would love to see you edit tables in Excel, Word, or any other application without a real mouse. Even laptop users carry mobile mice in their bags with them, even though laptops have always had their own version of the mouse with them for ages.

And at what point in my post did I even mention not using a mouse? As a matter of fact I clearly state plugging in a keyboard and mouse.

1. Buy a tablet.
3. Use the tablet.

Where does "touch" fit into this picture ? You are basically ending up with an underpowered laptop, with a limited selection of apps, and a much smaller screen, which supports touch but you must still use a keyboard and mouse to get work done.

Nice deal right there.

Who's talking about touch? Seriously, do you actually read the posts? We're talking about how hybrids can be used just like a regular laptops.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP

1. Buy a tablet.
3. Use the tablet.

Nice deal right there.

Dellius, you are completely missing the point.

Tablets will not be just tablets, they will be Hydrids and Convertables....

Hybrids are going to change everything. Ipads and androids will either change or be left behind.
This is a fact in the real business world that is not going to go away.

Why are business people buying iPads?

For the most part, for business apps and email, more email than anything (why these people shell out 6 to 900$ for a tablet that they can only get email on is truly beyond me). Trust me, I know.

When most of these people are properly shown a proper Win8 Pro Hybrid/Convertible Tablet, all bets will be off for iPad and Android tablets.

Not only that, but traditional Laptops will start reducing rapidly. They will still exist for a while, but they won't be a first choice for business much longer. in a time of 2 years, mark this statement. IF win8 gets a fair shake, Laptops will be all but gone.

And, larger Screen sizes will become available. They won't stay that small forever, they will exist side by side, as the public will ask for and buy larger tablets, just like they do with laptops.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
People buy ipads partially due to fact they are a status symbol. They buy it for accessories and to have one the popular "in" devices. Finally, they buy them for the apps and some of these apps are exclusives and have more fit and polish.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
We will know more come December-March. More so in about February.
Then the real numbers will be about July and August.
And then again Next Christmas will be the most telling.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Hi there
if you use one of those brilliant 11.1 inch POWER laptops (not too many of these around -- but these are far far better than any form of 10 inch tablet, not much bigger or even heavier) with an i5 / I7 processor, USB3 slots, 8 GB RAM, decent 1366 * 768 screen resolution (with Intel graphics and proper HDMI output for full HD) then who needs to even THINK about a tablet.

The form factor of these is insignificantly different from a 10 inch tablet ==very slightly fatter of course --but only "very so slightly"

If you reduce the CPU to say an I3 --still a perfectly adequate processor for most tasks you can get an ACER V5-171 for LESS than the price of the SAMSUNG tablet -- and IMO a much much better buy too. - Around 400 USD for one of these great machines.

People who say the laptop market is dead really don't understand that some users will ALWAYS (or at least for the foreseeable future) need a traditional computer.

I think the boot is on the other foot -- Smartphones will get "Smarter" and TABLETS will go the way of the DODO. Laptops are just too useful and now with the "Ultrabook" type of format these are just as portable and light as a decent size tablet --and much more versatile too -- and CHEAPER !!! in some cases.

For travelling the 15 / 17 inch mega size screen laptops will die I agree -- but not the small ones.

Those who are talking about "Hybrids" obviously recognize the fact but trying to "Cludge" an underpowered (and ususally over priced device) to work like a laptop that you would actually be better off with --A LAPTOP. !!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Okay Jimbo I checked out the specs of the Acer. But my Samsung slate has an SSD. But the Acer has a regular hard drive. Meh!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" touch screen w/ digitizer & Asus 27" external monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 Touchpad & Microsoft Touch Mouse
Those who are talking about "Hybrids" obviously recognize the fact but trying to "Cludge" an underpowered (and ususally over priced device) to work like a laptop that you would actually be better off with --A LAPTOP. !!!

I wouldn't say that the "hybrid" is underpowered. For most hybrid tablet oriented tasks like web browsing, flash games, Metro app games, word processing, running old programs or video calling a modern ULV x86 CPU like the one Surface Pro will have (not Atom) will be more than enough to run all these programs simultaneously. I highly doubt that anyone would buy a hybrid for serious tasks like HD video rendering or resource demanding games. Hybrid tablet's productivity far outweighs any tablet with ARM processor. And with the upcoming release of Haswell and subsequent architectures plus more efficient GPU, we can soon have enough processing power to play demanding games from 2009 or later straight from the ultraslim hybrid tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    Core i5 4300U @ 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Surface Pro 3