How Windows 8 will shake up the laptop market

Starting October 26, laptop shoppers will be inundated with a flood of new PCs designed around Microsoft's new operating system. In fact, I've counted about 50 new laptops, tablets, hybrids, convertibles, and all-in-ones on my back-of-the-envelope list already.

A handful of these have already been announced, a healthy chunk will be announced early in October, and the rest will simply go on sale on October 26, alongside Windows 8.

Having seen a good number of these upcoming systems in person already, I can safely outline three big trendlines that will drive laptop and related device sales through the Windows 8 launch season and into 2013. If you're looking to buy a laptop anytime soon, keep these in mind as you dig through the dozens of upcoming new choices.

Here's what you need to know ahead of time.

Read more at source:
How Windows 8 will shake up the laptop market | Reviews - Laptops - CNET Reviews

^ What he said, Hybreads have keyboards and some have an additional touch pad just like a laptop does. You can ignore the touch screen and use it just like a laptop if you wish. You can also undock it or flip the screen and use it like a tablet with the touch screen. I'd rather have that any day over a regular laptop even if the screen is smaller.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
^ What he said, Hybreads have keyboards and some have an additional touch pad just like a laptop does. You can ignore the touch screen and use it just like a laptop if you wish. You can also undock it or flip the screen and use it like a tablet with the touch screen. I'd rather have that any day over a regular laptop even if the screen is smaller.

Hi there
Hybrids sound OK but how many of them actually exist that run genuine Windows apps, have decent USB / hardware connectivity, and have a decent processor in them.

I haven't seen any yet so far and the few hybrids that currently exist cost far more than a decently equipped small laptop (not "Netbook") .

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
Hybrids sound OK but how many of them actually exist that run genuine Windows apps, have decent USB / hardware connectivity, and have a decent processor in them.

I haven't seen any yet so far and the few hybrids that currently exist cost far more than a decently equipped small laptop (not "Netbook") .

Cheers
jimbo

You haven't seen them because they haven't been released but all you need to do is read up on some tech news to see what is coming this fall from a number of OEMs. One example is the Surface Pro, available with 128GB SSD, Core i5 Proc, USB 3.0, Display Port for secondary monitor, SD Card Reader and yes it runs genuine Windows apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
There are several hybrids that are powered by an Intel chip from Toshiba, I think Samsung, and ASUS.

You know, I might just as well video myself at my local not so best buy using Office with touch on the RT tablets just to show it CAN be done. I'm curious myself to see how touch optimized Office 2013 is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Its no surprise that they will cost more. Touch screen, detachable dock. I'd like to have one, didn't say I could afford it though. ;)
As touch screens become more prevalent and are mass produced, cost will come down. Then just about everything will have one.
lol, one of the big mods to the first netbooks was adding a touch screen. I don't do spread sheets etc so I could sacrifice a smaller screen to find something I can afford. If I go ASUS I could buy the tablet first and the dock latter on. The way things are going though, with mu budget, I'll likely end up with a decent sized mid rang laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Its no surprise that they will cost more. Touch screen, detachable dock. I'd like to have one, didn't say I could afford it though. ;)
As touch screens become more prevalent and are mass produced, cost will come down. Then just about everything will have one.
lol, one of the big mods to the first netbooks was adding a touch screen. I don't do spread sheets etc so I could sacrifice a smaller screen to find something I can afford. If I go ASUS I could buy the tablet first and the dock latter on. The way things are going though, with mu budget, I'll likely end up with a decent sized mid rang laptop.

Hi there
You say you don't do spread sheets -- no problem -- but this is EXACTLY the problem we are having with the "Touch screen fanboys" on this site.

It simply isn't POSSIBLE in any shape or form to do a lot of "traditional PC processing" on a tablet / or a touch screen.

People who use Ipads / tablets at work are usually either displaying content from the web / local LAN / company Intranet or just showing an already prepared presentation on a projector.

Nothing wrong with that but believe me these types of devices are not suitable in any shape or form for CREATING this type of content (EXCEL / POWER POINT / WORD / VIDEO / etc etc.)

As for doing any sort of I.T development say using Visual studio on an Ipad type device -- the idea is so stupid that it's not even worth commenting on.

People have to realize Ms made a bo-bo on this one -- you DO need a traditional desktop plus multi monitors for a whole host of traditional applications.

You can use (with difficulty) the start menu screen for some applications but once you get into highly complex areas like SAP then forget it --W7 rules the roost here and will continue to do so.

We have two totally different sets of users -- Mobile ones who could use touch screens and one off full screen applications in Metro mode and traditional office / design / I.T development type of people who really need the traditional desktop as Metro / full screen doesn't offer anything at all.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Thanks Jimbo, it seems there are far more casual users of the OS...even if they think they are truly Power Users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
you DO need a traditional desktop plus multi monitors for a whole host of traditional applications.

Which you can all do with a hybrid Windows 8 Pro laptop\tablet, it's not that difficult of a concept to understand. I can take a Surface Pro tablet and add a keyboard and mouse plus an external monitor to the display port, if I want more monitors I can use some USB to VGA\DVI adapters and plug in some more with my on board USB 3.0 ports. I can then run all the spreadsheets I want, Visual Studio, SAP applications and many more. PLUS!! I can distribute those in multiple windows across all my desktop monitors just like I would in Windows 7. All this while never bringing up Metro Apps in the process or even touch my tablets screen if I don't want to.

I'm not talking about iPad devices or Windows 8 RT tablets that ONLY run Apps. Not wanting to do it with a Windows Pro tablet is one thing, saying that you can't do it is ignorance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
So Jimbo, if a hybrid can do anything a laptop can do whats to stop you from doing a spread sheet on one. I do understand what you're saying, as I'm posting this from my dual display desktop PC that I don't plan on giving up any time soon. Aside from "maybe" having a smaller screen, the hybrid is going to have a keyboard etc. There is nothing forcing you to use the touch screen. You act like its doomed just because it has a touch screen on it. I would imagine some of them will let you connect an external display and run dual monitors to. sounds like a very good BYOD to me?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
you DO need a traditional desktop plus multi monitors for a whole host of traditional applications.

Which you can all do with a hybrid Windows 8 Pro laptop\tablet, it's not that difficult of a concept to understand. I can take a Surface Pro tablet and add a keyboard and mouse plus an external monitor to the display port, if I want more monitors I can use some USB to VGA\DVI adapters and plug in some more with my on board USB 3.0 ports. I can then run all the spreadsheets I want, Visual Studio, SAP applications and many more. PLUS!! I can distribute those in multiple windows across all my desktop monitors just like I would in Windows 7. All this while never bringing up Metro Apps in the process or even touch my tablets screen if I don't want to.

I'm not talking about iPad devices or Windows 8 RT tablets that ONLY run Apps. Not wanting to do it with a Windows Pro tablet is one thing, saying that you can't do it is ignorance.

Hi there

This is total B/S -- there is NO WAY on the known universe that you could even THINK about doing any type of SAP development using a Metro type screen.

Before posting supposedly contradictory arguments like you have done please UNDERSTAND what SAP development entails --and THINK BEFORE you post your answer.

I suggest you google on SAP ABAP and more relevantly SAP ABAP WEB DYNPRO.

Once you've done that you might understand my post as it's clear you haven't understood it in the first place.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
This is total B/S -- there is NO WAY on the known universe that you could even THINK about doing any type of SAP development using a Metro type screen.

Maybe you should actually read for once Jimbo, we're talking about the DESKTOP not a Metro screen. Stating that you can't use Desktop Applications in Metro is quite obvious isn't it? I don't have to google anything, desktop applications works just the same in W8 as it does in W7...you're the one the keeps bringing up Metro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
The thing I don't understand is there have been mega posts on this forum explaining how to use keyboard commands, but now suddenly we dont' need a keyboard, only touch?

Also touch is useful in physically small devices like iPhone, but if space is so cramped that your hands can't use the keyboard on a laptop, a tablet would be a better solution. Or do you simply mean the laptop won't sit flat on your lap because it's depth is too long, so you're going to use the touch screen with the laptop screen in the vertical plane? Now that would be a neat trick!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
The thing I don't understand is there have been mega posts on this forum explaining how to use keyboard commands, but now suddenly we dont' need a keyboard, only touch?

Also touch is useful in physically small devices like iPhone, but if space is so cramped that your hands can't use the keyboard, a tablet would be a better solution. Or do you simply mean the laptop won't sit flat on your lap because it's depth is too long, so you're going to use the touch screen with the laptop screen in the vertical plane? Now that would be a neat trick!

A great many people are running Windows 8 on non touch devices. If you don't have a touch screen, keyboard shortcuts are often faster and easier than the mouse clicks it now takes to launch something.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

I would love to see you edit tables in Excel, Word, or any other application without a real mouse. Even laptop users carry mobile mice in their bags with them, even though laptops have always had their own version of the mouse with them for ages.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise
    Custom Built
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    DX58SO
    Memory
    Kingston 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX580 Phantom
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG D2342P-PN
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB - eSATA
    PSU
    Corsair 850W
    Keyboard
    Razer Anansi
    Mouse
    Razer Naga Epic
    Internet Speed
    50Mbps/50Mbps
Dellius, that is true, but keep in mind, most of what you will be able to do with a Win8 Pro Tablet, you can not even come close to doing on an Ipad.

no one is saying that you are NOT going to need a mouse and keyboard at some point, no one is saying that, which is why the Surface comes with a Keyboard with a TouchPad.

If it comes with Bluetooth that would be nice.

There is no reason for the scare tactics and hysterics.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I would love to see you edit tables in Excel, Word, or any other application without a real mouse. Even laptop users carry mobile mice in their bags with them, even though laptops have always had their own version of the mouse with them for ages.

And at what point in my post did I even mention not using a mouse? As a matter of fact I clearly state plugging in a keyboard and mouse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
I really don't see a need for touch on a laptop unless it's one you can pull the screen off of and then it's a tablet.

Who wants to reach to the screen to touch it when the keyboard and pad are closer.

BTW I have a blackberry playbook tablet and I love the UI on it. Sounds like the RT will be less capable then the playbook.

Edit: same goes for a desktop, maybe I'm lazy but I think it would be a pain to keep reaching to touch the screen when the keyboard is right there where you don't have to stretch to reach it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'm not a fan of touchscreens in general. They work for me when its a mobile phone or its a portable device that I am using in a nonconvenient location. For example, I'm hammering out this message on my droid2 and I am using my physical qwerty keyboard. I touched the screen to fire the app, and I touched the screen to read this thread...but when it came time to reply..its a physical keyboard. Without my physical keyboard I would have never made this post. This makes it hard for me to replace my phone, as I don't want to give up the physical keyboard.

I do some audio stuff on the side, and use highend digital console mixing boards and I hate, hate, hate using the touchscreens on them. All too often I click the wrong thing, accidentally drop an errant thumb elsewhere. But they really are a necessity to handle the complexity and configuration options on these boards. So, I deal with them. But when something can be done with a physical button, that is what I use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I'm tapping this post out with my touch screen phone. I'm the opposite, I hate, hate, hate using physical keyboards on phones as I have to focus on hitting every letter correctly and therefore I'm slower. On a touch screen, I just fly.

Now, touch keyboards on tablets on the other hand suck hardcore for me. They usually aren't laid out like tradition keyboards but more like phone keyboards so they're basically not ergonoically correct.

pparks, have you every thought of using a stylus? Much more accurate than fingering.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
pparks, have you every thought of using a stylus? Much more accurate than fingering.
Have to agree stylus is the only way to go with touch phones. Especially if you have large fingers.

But when using a desktop, if you've done a course in touch typing, it's no contest, because you don't have to look at the keyboard, only the text you're typing from; or the word doco if you're creating a new article. Ooopps! Better check to make sure I havvenn"t gooty any typos! :D

And physical keypads for desks are much easier than laptop physical keyboards. In the latter the keys are all flat and not delineated anywhere near as good. Again, especially if you have large fingers.

I suppose horses for courses to some extent.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Back