Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 update leaks to the web, direct from Redmond

  1. #41


    Posts : 86
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks


    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version

    Umm... who's in charge of the Windows team? I'm just speechless. I don't know, I don't understand how Microsoft works.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Seems to have worked for me this time!
    All updates from "MEGA" download,
    all settings intact!
    Install them in order as per 'davehc' post #23 and reboot after each one whether it prompts you to or not.
    Attachment 39189Attachment 39190
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 58
    windows 8.1


    BlueMasterFX,

    Could you please explain what you are showing? Or are you as confused as I?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 86
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks


    Quote Originally Posted by ainteinstein View Post
    BlueMasterFX,

    Could you please explain what you are showing? Or are you as confused as I?
    Apparently Microsoft likes to hide things "again". I'm guessing if you hover around the bottom or something by mistake the Windows task bar appears and overlaps the metro application bars too. Why can't the Metro apps be like full screen windows where the task bar always appear (like in regular full screen legacy apps)? I have no idea what Microsoft is doing lol.

    Or at least make Metro apps slide up when the task bar appears. Would have been a nice effect if it did that (similar to the way notification center on OS X appears. it slides the desktop)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 1
    windows 8.1 x64


    Click image for larger version yippee, right click
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Georgia
    Posts : 110
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dual Boot


    For me, I will be waiting for the official release through Windows Update. As finicky as Microsoft is I am sure they will be tweaking it and changing little things right up to the very last moment and I would really hate to go through all this a second time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Gold Coast (Australia)
    Posts : 702
    Windows 8.1 x64


    I'm inclined to post some pics of my wedding, seems all anarchy has broken loose in this thread What were we talking about again?

    Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post
    For me, I will be waiting for the official release through Windows Update. As finicky as Microsoft is I am sure they will be tweaking it and changing little things right up to the very last moment and I would really hate to go through all this a second time.
    I'm with you, how many times Ive downloaded leaked "Official" updates only to find they were probably a plant to teach us all a lesson. Often the whole update turns out differently after official release. Props to those brave to test it though!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    So, I installed the leaked KB's on my Surface Pro
    This only works with Mouse, not touch

    When you are in an app or at the start screen, bring the mouse to the bottom of the screen and it will unhide
    the taskbar and you can switch apps, I like it, but have not found out how to make it not autohide
    it hides by default
    Also, touch the top of of the screen when you are in an app (mouse only), and a drop down will appear with an X Out and Minimize button the right
    on the left is an icon with a right click menu for docking half screen etc and close.
    Double click this icon will close the app
    However, apps still stay resident in memory...

    I think I may be missing part of this update though
    Right clicking a tile on the start menu doesn't really do anything, just selects it with a check mark
    But no menu's or anything.

    I will be reloading my Surface Pro from scratch and install the official release when it is available though.
    Just wanted to see what this was all about.
    Not sure how much more stuff I actually got from the leaked stuff, I kinda grabbed it late.
    No big deal, I can wait and see the Official RTM when it's available.

    Oh, I did get the power options and search icon and other stuff on the start screen
    Also got the Show more icons for the App Start Screen. That was a nice addition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMasterFX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ainteinstein View Post
    BlueMasterFX,

    Could you please explain what you are showing? Or are you as confused as I?
    Apparently Microsoft likes to hide things "again". I'm guessing if you hover around the bottom or something by mistake the Windows task bar appears and overlaps the metro application bars too. Why can't the Metro apps be like full screen windows where the task bar always appear (like in regular full screen legacy apps)? I have no idea what Microsoft is doing lol.

    Or at least make Metro apps slide up when the task bar appears. Would have been a nice effect if it did that (similar to the way notification center on OS X appears. it slides the desktop)
    The reason for this is probably resolution, and minimalistic views
    They would be changing/skewing the resolution of apps by making the taskbar take that space.
    Not a good idea in my opinion, and honestly, I like how it hides. I don't need to see it 100% of the time.
    Also, sliding up the desktop or app, personally I would find extremely annoying.
    Especially if it hides the top part of the window that I would like to see if I was working on something and
    using Peak to look at other stuff. In other words, imo, it's a waste of resources for a useless visual effect.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    For some reason 'Power' and 'Search' on the Start screen got flipped from previous leak:
    16596Attachment 39198
    17031Attachment 39199

    and 'Power' removed from All Apps screen:
    16596Attachment 39200
    17031Attachment 39201
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Windows 8.1 update leaks to the web, direct from Redmond
Related Threads
Solved Windows 8 Memory Management/Leaks in Performance & Maintenance
PROBLEM: I would like to know where i can find if there's a memory leak using Windows 8, I have W7 and never had this problem before, my computer ran for 60days with no problem on W7, now on W8, after 7-8 days have all my memory or 98% of it in use. Here are some screenshots... Thanks. ...
Source A Guy
Microsoft Locking Down Windows 8 to Stop More Leaks
Read the rest here
Win7China: No leaks until Windows 8 Beta | Windows 8 Center
More
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook