Solved .Zip / .Rar Extraction problem

TalonX00

I'm sure this is a "newb" problem for some of you so let me preface this with .....Sorry for wasting your time......however any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know when extracting any file from a compressed .zip or .rar to an external HD ....there are some files that are temporarily stored on the internal HD until the transfer is complete. Herein lies my problem.

I was attempting to do just this. At the start of my transfer....I had about 20gbs of internal HD space available. I assumed incorrectly that this would be sufficient. About 3/4 of the way into the transfer it stopped and gave me the error message of "insufficient disk space." I didn't consider this that much of a problem at first. I figured I would simply have to delete a few old folders/files.

However....when I took a look at my internal HD mem....it now reads 15kb. So my question is......WTF!!??? lol ...sorry. I assume that those temp files from the transfer are still on my computer .....hogging up space. The problem is ....I have no idea where to look for them at so I may remove them.

So my obvious question is......where are they? Another is ......is that not a stupid mechanic to not auto delete files from a transfer if the transfer isn't completed correctly. Seems odd to me.

Any help would be had.

Thanks folks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-3227U CPU 1.90 Ghz
    Memory
    6.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Factory install Chipset series 4000
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    None
How are you extracting the files -- directly in Windows? Or do you use WinZip or some other software for doing the extraction?

If you are using Windows Explorer to do the extraction, perhaps you could set the location of your Windows TEMP folder to the external drive before doing the extraction. Then if you like, set it back to the previous location after you do the extraction.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
CCleaner may help. or You can run windoze clean manager {win}+{R}= run prompt , then type cleanmgr {enter} and tick everything or anything. You can also consider where all your files with "treesize free" which when installed gives right mouse options to display the folder sizes of everything under the selected drive or folder, then consider if you have a D: ... create folders for Videos, music etc. and add Folder to your appropriate "Library" again using right mouse options.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
If you open the zip in a folder then the Temp file is also in that same folder _ at least with 7zip...
You can also right click the Drive and select disk cleanup and then from that window select system cleanup
check all boxes...

Also unhide your system files and see if Hiberfil.sys is present on root...
Hibernation requires a lot of disk storage space

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory