Windows Update Metro Shortcut - Create in Windows 8
EXAMPLE: "Windows Update" in PC settings
This tutorial will show how to create or download a modern Windows Update shortcut that opens directly to Windows Update in the PC settings screen in Windows 8.1.Published by Brink Category:
- How to Create a Modern Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 8.1
This tutorial will show how to create or download a modern Windows Update shortcut that opens directly to Windows Update in the PC settings screen in Windows 8.1.
How to Create a Modern "Windows Update" Shortcut in Windows 8.1
This tutorial will show how to create or download a modern "Windows Update" shortcut that opens directly to Windows Update in the PC settings screen in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1.
EXAMPLE: "Windows Update" in PC settings
OPTION ONETo Download a Modern "Windows Update" Shortcut
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the ZIP file below.
2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.
3. Open the .zip file and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.
4. Unblock the extracted shortcut.
5. If you like, you can Pin to Taskbar on desktop, Pin to Start screen, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to it, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.
6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.
OPTION TWOTo Manually Create a Modern "Windows Update" Shortcut
1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area of your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.
2. Copy and paste the command below into the location area, and click/tap on the Next button. (see screenshot below)
If you are not have a US English Windows 8.1 installed, then you will need to change the en-US folder name in the command below for the folder name with your language instead for this to work.
3. Type Windows Update for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You can name this shortcut anything you would like though.
4. Right click or swipe down on the new Windows Update shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.
5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, then click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)
6. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
7. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)
NOTE: You can use any icon that you would like instead though.
8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)
9. If you like, you can Pin to Taskbar on desktop, Pin to Start screen, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to it, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.
- How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 8 and Windows RT
- How to Uninstall a Windows Update in Windows 7 and Windows 8
- How to Create a "Windows Update" Shortcut in Windows 8 and 8.1
- How to Create Modern "View Update History" Shortcut in Windows 8.1
- How to Create Modern Change "Windows Update Settings" Shortcut in Windows 8.1
- How to Download a "PC settings" Shortcut for Windows 8 and 8.1
- How to Open "PC settings" in Windows 8 and 8.1
- 64-bit Windows 10
- Computer type
- System Manufacturer/Model Number
- Custom self built
- Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
- ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
- 16 GB (8GBx2) G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3200 MHz
- Graphics Card(s)
- ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
- Sound Card
- Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
- Monitor(s) Displays
- 3 x 27" Asus VE278Q
- Screen Resolution
- Hard Drives
250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2,
256GB OCZ Vector,
6TB WD Black WD6001FZWX
8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
- OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
- Thermaltake Core P3
- Corsair Hydro H115i
- Logitech wireless K800
- Logitech MX Master
- Internet Speed
- 1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
- Internet Explorer 11
- Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
- Other Info
Logitech Z625 speaker system,
Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
Linksys EA9500 router,
Arris SB8200 cable modem,
APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
Lumia 1520 phone