How to Create a Modern "Windows Update" Shortcut in Windows 8.1
This tutorial will show how to create or download a modern "Windows Update" shortcut that opens directly to Windows Update in the PC settings screen in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1.
EXAMPLE: "Windows Update" in PC settings
To Download a Modern "Windows Update" Shortcut
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the ZIP file below.
2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.
3. Open the .zip file and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.
4. Unblock the extracted shortcut.
5. If you like, you can Pin to Taskbar on desktop, Pin to Start screen, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to it, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.
6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.
To Manually Create a Modern "Windows Update" Shortcut
1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area of your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.
2. Copy and paste the command below into the location area, and click/tap on the Next button. (see screenshot below)
If you are not have a US English Windows 8.1 installed, then you will need to change the en-US folder name in the command below for the folder name with your language instead for this to work.
3. Type Windows Update for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You can name this shortcut anything you would like though.
4. Right click or swipe down on the new Windows Update shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.
5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, then click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)
6. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
7. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)
NOTE: You can use any icon that you would like instead though.
8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)
9. If you like, you can Pin to Taskbar on desktop, Pin to Start screen, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to it, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.
- How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 8 and Windows RT
- How to Uninstall a Windows Update in Windows 7 and Windows 8
- How to Create a "Windows Update" Shortcut in Windows 8 and 8.1
- How to Create Modern "View Update History" Shortcut in Windows 8.1
- How to Create Modern Change "Windows Update Settings" Shortcut in Windows 8.1
- How to Download a "PC settings" Shortcut for Windows 8 and 8.1
- How to Open "PC settings" in Windows 8 and 8.1