Windows Consumer Preview - Bugs and Annoyances

Good catch on that one! I think I've been on most every other news site however looking at varying tip and tricks blogs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Besides the Metro UI work around of clicking the desktop button each startup the new lock screen is one large annoyance without any autologin to desktop method or option found as of yet.

Shutdown or restart is even worse with the need to logoff first to unlock the lock screen one more time and then click on the tool gear wheel icon to restart.

The lack of a Start button was a simple add a new toolbar onto the taskbar selecting "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start\Programs\" as the selected folder.

What many will find baffling is the change in the repair tools when booted live from the USB Install Key or 8 dvd used! If you set up a dual boot but keep the present host/OS drive unplugged to see 8 go on as a stand alone and then go to use a program like EasyBCD to add a new boot entry into Vista or 7 BCD store you will need to use the 8 version of the Startup repair tool or see "winloader.exe missing".

The big annoyance at finding the renamed Startup repair option is finding a totally new layout for the repair AND other options now found in the additional screens added! And no you still won't find Startup repair but "Automatic repair" instead. Have a look!

View attachment 4035

You still see the repair options link under the Install Now button as expected. But wait until what? No OS detected and selected before arriving at a menu of options?

View attachment 4036

Continue, User another OS, Turn off your PC, and Troubleshoot are what you find instead. So naturally you select the Troubleshoot option but find yourself looking at...

View attachment 4037

Refresh your PC? sounds like an Upgrade to repair option for an OEM machine. Reset your PC wiping all files out suggests a full clean install or recovery, and one more Advanced option...

View attachment 4038

And finally you arrive at a screen with some familiar items seen on it! System Restore, System image Recovery for restoration of a full system image, command prompt, and what? no Startup but Automatic Repair is now seen for any startup issues only after you go through the extra screens to find what you were looking for was renamed.

Is automatic repair the same as Startup repair?
What little I found searching, it sounds like it's not as good. Guess we'll have to try it and see.

Did find a way to get into Safe Mode.
Finding the Safe mode option.
If you hit Shift+F8 during bootup you should get the advanced recovery mode.
First screen click 'See advanced repair options'
Next - Troubleshoot
Next - Advanced Options
Now you should see another option for 'Windows Startup Settings' that wasn't in your last picture.
Next - Windows Startup Settings
Windows Startup Settings
Restart to change Windows options such as
. Disable driver signature enfOEcement
. Disable automatic restart on system
. Enable low-resolution video mode
. Enable debugging mode
. Enable boot logging
. Enable Safe Mode

If you hit the 'Restart' button it will start in 'safe Mode'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
I had a bug today which would freeze the mouse pointer into the lower corners of the screen when ever you went there. Because of this you could not access the Metro page or the charms bar using the mouse. The strange thing was that this problem only occurred when using Windows 8 with my SSD drive. No such problem occurred when using a standard hard drive.

After some trial and error I discovered that when I unplugged my Logitech G15 keyboard the problem was gone completely. The Logitech drivers installed in compatibility mode made no difference.

Changing to a different standard old Logitech keyboard fixed the problem completely.

So we can conclude that Logitech G9 gaming keyboard + SSD drive + Windows CP 8 = freezing mouse in corners therefore no mouse access to Metro or charms bar.

Problem solved by using a different keyboard. :)

This was also confirmed to be a bug at the Logitech forum with the G15 keyboard.

Re: G15 freezes Windows 8 - Logitech Forums

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
This works well - it also has an optional start orb for win8 users:

Start Menu 7

That's on a VM however not the install to HD as you still have to unlock the lock screen and type in the password, click arrow to arrive at Start screen first. But then you simply click the desktop shortcut which is minor but annoying still.

So far no automatic login options have been found in the CP>System>Advanced while a new reg value similar to what was seen with XP is a thought. That would have to come later however once more is learned about the final not CP version we see now.

There will likely be more then one 3rd party tool available as well as one company is working on a Start8 utility still not available to solve the lack of Start menu which has been a concern.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I sometimes use my TV as my secondary monitor for Netflix, games, etc. I still haven't gotten the hang of the corner based popup menu system with dual monitors. Also there are some weird things going on running the Catalyst Control Center. Other than that, it feels really good. I took the leap and made this my main OS (did the same for Win 7 preview) and I'm really impressed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Windows 95 was revolutionary!
This works well - it also has an optional start orb for win8 users:

Start Menu 7

That's on a VM however not the install to HD as you still have to unlock the lock screen and type in the password, click arrow to arrive at Start screen first. But then you simply click the desktop shortcut which is minor but annoying still.

So far no automatic login options have been found in the CP>System>Advanced while a new reg value similar to what was seen with XP is a thought. That would have to come later however once more is learned about the final not CP version we see now.

There will likely be more then one 3rd party tool available as well as one company is working on a Start8 utility still not available to solve the lack of Start menu which has been a concern.

Starsoft is working on a Start8 freebie presently. When going to see the x64 version installed on a VM there was no ProgramData folder to find on the VHD where the Start7 may be what is needed presently! :D

I'll still be waiting for the Start8 item in the meantime.

The BIG annoyance of the day however was finding I could not connect online or even hear sound once the VM install was complete! I dismounted in order to connect with a usb flash drive easy enough but cannot directly install any drivers for the host nic card on a VM to start with. The shared NAT default on every other VM so far has always worked instantly but not the CP for some reason. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Back