Windows 8: Do you need it?

I'm certain that the people asking this question expect a simple answer. They're looking for a straightforward yes or a no.

I wish it were that easy.

The problem is that I cannot possibly see into your home or office and know what your particular circumstances are. The best I can do is to offer a big picture based on certain scenarios, and then hand the decision over to you.

Let's take a look at a few scenarios.

Read more at source:
Windows 8: Do you need it? | ZDNet

I've read that on average battery life, on a new laptop with Windows 7 and 8, Windows 8 will add about 30-45 minutes to.
I have read this too, but until I can see it for myself and quantify the difference, I will remain skeptical.

But in real world comparison, 8 just feels faster and snappier.
I think a lot of claims of speed are based on the gut feeling of "it just feels snappier". I am often scoffed at for my claims of not noticing speed improvements outside of bootups, but when I ask others if they did time test with stopwatches or other devices (like i have) they always say no. Then you find they compare an older load of Windows 7 with tons of cruft, to a new machine with new hardware and a fresh load and say, "Wow, look at how much faster it is". Really, it's faster!...this surprises them? It's faster hardware and a fresh load.

I on the other hand, take 2 identical machines from work inventory, fresh load Windows 7 on one and Windows 8 on the other and test and I see very little difference. No doubt bootups and shutdowns are faster. But for most other things, I challenge others to prove to me it's faster....i've got my conclusive proof saying time difference is negligible.

I do believe there are performance charts comparing 7 to 8. Windows 8 edges out 7, one of the things I can say it WAY better than 7 is thumbnail preview generation. In 7, it would take about 30 seconds or so to get a whole screen or two of thumbnails generated. In 8, it's like cut in half. This is hugely important if you're a photo editor as you don't wait so long to see what image you need. This is one of quite a few. Check some old blog posts on Microsoft's Building Windows 8 blog, there is on in particular that compared media management between 7 and 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Please do not take this wrong if you are not going to upgrade to 8 or for that matter 7. With the strokes that have caused a decrease in my ability to comprehend even the smallest of things at times I still cannot understand why if someone is not going to use 8 (or whatever) they find the need to join a forum that is designed around a specific OS.

This has been one of the things that really gives my broken down old brain fits. . .:)

That's a good point Lee, I've wondered that myself.

Some of the people that oppose Windows 8, I think, really want to be persuaded to use it, or actually dislike a couple features and want to get them changed.
People with a passionate dislike for Windows 8 seem to be surprised and even upset that some members actually like it, IMHO this should not be a surprise at all as this is a Windows 8 forum.
Some just like a spirited debate.

In the end, everyone has the choice which OS they will use, there are a large number of people still using a 10+ year old OS. That is their choice, as it obviously is, and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.
If you come to a Windows 8 forum, expect some members to like it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
i am from canada,for me to be able to pay and download windows 8, it has to be 12:01 am right?
everytime i try the upgrade adviosr it just gives me errors at check out

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
I haven't found the AM/PM clarification, at the MS event it was said 12:01 local time, previously local time means Redmond time, Pacific Time. So it will depend on your time zone.

I'm hoping they mean AM instead of noon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
In 7, it would take about 30 seconds or so to get a whole screen or two of thumbnails generated. In 8, it's like cut in half
Isn't that a function of the GPU ?? With my on-board graphics on the laptop it takes some time. With the super duper graphics card on my desktop it is instant.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Please do not take this wrong if you are not going to upgrade to 8 or for that matter 7. With the strokes that have caused a decrease in my ability to comprehend even the smallest of things at times I still cannot understand why if someone is not going to use 8 (or whatever) they find the need to join a forum that is designed around a specific OS.

This has been one of the things that really gives my broken down old brain fits. . .:)
That sounds like a good reason. Maybe I get a copy of /8 just for that and run it on my surplus laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Don't get me wrong, I do have 8 installed (I've got a dual boot machine). I do like that it's faster than 7 in transferring files and other basic OS things (and no, UI theme is not a basic OS thing in my humble opinion). But, do I really need it? No. Have I ever used a Metro app? No. I have not heard of any Metro app that would be useful for work and that would do something that no Desktop program does.

By this I mean that I have not found any one feature in 8 that does not exist in 7 already. Therefore I find no need to switch over. I do turn 8 on if I need to transfer lots of files. Of course, one could say that same about XP. From a strictly user perception, as long as you have all hardware drivers in order, XP is not much different. However, newer hardware might be hard to support and newer software might not support XP either. That's basically the reason to use 7. For 8 there is no such reason - 7 is still young and universally supported.

In other words - how you run your computer is determined by your particular needs (work, games, whatever). That determines the software that you run (basically, if you need Final Cut Pro - you run a Mac, if you need Origin and Lab Talk, you run Windows, etc). Next comes your taste and eye candy. After that - does it really matter what OS do you have? Thus it's not clear to me what's the point of releasing a new OS every 3 years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 530
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Aside from the obvious live tile apps updates, if you don't use these, the thing I can't understand is why people who run W8 in it's native state, and use both 'Metro' and desktop, would prefer that over a system where you can have it all on desktop, with no need to constantly navigate backwards and forwards between Metro and desktop.

This is how I use desktop in W8, using Ex7ForW8 hacked Orb start menu, which basically imports the W7 start menu on installation by taking files from the W7 installation disk.

• For frequently used items, desktop shortcuts replace Metro tiles in a much more condensed space without needing to minimize everything. These can include email, browser, weather, news, skype, facebook, etc.
  • And there's room to pin stuff to bottom task bar if really needed. I don't pin because I often have multiple windows open and the bottom task bar gets over crowded.
  • For less frequently used items I have 6 or 7 items in the jump start menu.
  • Seldom used items are in 'All programs', neatly arranged in alphabetical order; and out of sight yet easily accessible when needed. Even when the desktop is completely covered with open windows and all shortcuts invisible. Also use Desktop toolbar in that scenario.
  • I can send shortcuts to the desktop from various items in 'All programs'.
  • I can also include shortcuts to optical drives, eSATA drives, external USB drives, XP Virual, etc.

Putting aside the question of personal preferences, from the point of view of pure logistics, it's all there in one desktop. So why use two windows? :confused:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Yes, I need it. I can't go back to Windows 7 because it's too slow. Windows 8 is lightning fast by comparison.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Eyo
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 205BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    40 Mb/s
Yes, I need it. I can't go back to Windows 7 because it's too slow. Windows 8 is lightning fast by comparison.

Hmm, that's interesting. I did not notice much of a performance difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
It's all those SSDs you have ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
It's all those SSDs you have ;)
Both my PCs have SATA3 SSDs ... and loving it! :D

SSD is like the 0.357 magnum. In a fight to the death with two physically unmatched persons, the 0.357 magnum hand gun is called the GREAT EQUALIZER!
Reference back to Indianna Jones shooting the Ninja here! :roflmao:

In unmatched OSs the SSD is likewise called the great equalizer. And with RAM so cheap these days ... even cheap stuff has in built heat sinks ... with buckets of RAM and good CPU and SSD you'll never notice the difference.

Furthermore, every latest addition of any OS is subject to the law of diminishing returns. At the top end, you have to put a truck load more in to get only a very small increase out. And a lot of the increased speed in W8 has been due to gutting the OS, which was necessary for the smartfone platform.

But I'm not necessarily saying that's all bad. I have both Vista Ult and W7 Ult, and feel they both tended to become bloated. I'm running W8 Pro OEM on my backup machine, and the 'simplicity' can be enhancing in some respects, but at the same time, annonying in others.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
I wanted to try out the new windows and i sort of like it.

Its faster compare to Windows 7.
I can do everything that i did on Win 7.
Windows 8 got great features.

More importantly i got windows 8 to try out the app development, wanted to see how HTML and Javascript would work together for an app, and TBH i love it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Memory
    4 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Internet Speed
    5.2 MB/s
Have to agree, I'm getting one more, the old one will go in another desktop.
They breathe new life into older machines.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
I love it. Faster in every way. Games run faster also. I used a usb stick with the win 8 pro upgrade. If I don't want to use tiles I click on the desktop tile, simples!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 pro X64
    Dilithium Computers Mk4
    CPU
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
    Sound Card
    Hi-def
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3D Lg W2363D 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Loads, and a Crucial ssd 256Gb for OS.
    PSU
    1000w
    Case
    Antec 10000
    Cooling
    Big case fans + standard cpu fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech K350
    Mouse
    Coolermaster Inferno
    Internet Speed
    10Mb
    Other Info
    Home made with matchsticks (well...some lego also)
    Blu-ray drive HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30. Nvidia 3D wireless glasses (active shutter).
........the 0.357 magnum hand gun is called the GREAT EQUALIZER!
Reference back to Indianna Jones shooting the Ninja here!
Gun or knife carrying carrying thugs on the street have the same mentality - that it's "butch" and "macho" to carry a weapon and threaten others but...er....the person they're threatening shouldn't have a weapon.....the word Im thinking is the OPPOSITE of macho or butch (sorry - this sort of weapon worship annoys me intensely) :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Motherboard Model: ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3
    Memory
    8gb Corsair DDR3 12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 (MS-V244)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG IPS 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1900 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 x 3tb Seagate
    1 x 2tb Samsung
    1 1.5tb Hitachi
    1 x 1tb Western Digital
    PSU
    850 Lian Li
    Case
    Lian Li
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
from the forum rules

"8) No discussions of religion, politics, or firearms.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
I sometimes buy things I don't need.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Win 7-8 64-bit
    Dell Studio XPS8100
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Dell 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    900GB and 1.5TB
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/s down 1.5 Mb/s up
    Other Info
    I worked my up from a virtual machine, to a slow 32-bit celeron and now two monitors on my XPS8100. Works great!
Do I need it....No....but I got it.

So far I find it pretty cool to use, albeit a bit strange to navigate from the standard desktop. I see it being used in mainstream for everyday users. As for businesses and industry I don't see it happening anytime soon if ever, unless there is something massively different in the enterprise edition. Which I'm sorry to say I haven't experienced.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X 4 965 BE
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4