Windows 8.1 Update 2 Confirmed

Microsoft has already rolled out Windows 8.1 Update, but the company is now working on a second pack of improvements that could be released sometime this year and brings several improvements to the modern platform.

According to new details that reached the web this morning, Microsoft is already working on Windows 8.1 Update 2, which is another sign that this OS version is very likely to hit the shelves in just a few months.

Microsoft has already confirmed at the BUILD 2014 developer conference that it's working on a second update for Windows 8.1, but only a few details have actually been confirmed.

Windows 8.1 Update 2 will come with a new Start menu that would try to make the modern operating system a bit more familiar and thus bring back the full functionality of the desktop available in all Windows versions before Windows 8.
More

That would be a huge mess. The average user will look at the store shelf and be like "WTF?" lol It's simple for them to implement. All of these options should be given to the user at the Windows Setup screen when they finish installing Windows on their computer. Windows should automatically detect if the computer is a desktop, a non touch screen laptop, a hybrid or a tablet and configure the appropriate settings. Or give the consumer a custom option as well that they can change at anytime through Control Panel. Why is this not implemented, I don't know lol.

The average user is going to buy whatever operating system comes preloaded on the device.

:ditto: ++ If I was to ask one of the people I meet at our dog park what OS was on their PC, 9 out or 10 of them would just say "Windows". If then asked them what version their eye's would glaze over, or I'd get that deer in the head lights look. These are just your average non tech types that do Facebook and e-mail. All they know is its Windows. If they were to go and buy a new device they are more concerned with how much it costs etc than what version of Windows is on it. They don't know the difference anyway. Up until Windows 8.0 its all pretty much been the same for them, I click this to get this. They don't usually have their WTF moment until they get it home and turn it on for the first time. That's when I get the phone call, or the, you know about computers don't you, when I bump into them.
Of course they know it's Windows, it pokes them in the eye every time they turn computer on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
SoftPedia as a news source and "Start Menu coming back" as the headline didn't tip you off? I doubt there is a better example of a fake story

This site is like the tabloid of tech news. Mushy stories and high-end ads. Press on the author’s “Tweet” at the end to see what you get.

View attachment 43453

Really?!! Let’s get serious. And I dare not open this site on my phone for when I attempt to scroll with a touch screen something opens or pops up!

potabean.jpg

:haha:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
...That's the whole idea of the new system > Instant personal info upon boot or wake...

I've heard this theme before. The idea. Ok, that's the plan.
... disagree with the concept of a proper start screen. Some of us don't logon with a Microsoft Account, don't have Windows Phones or tablets, don't need synchronization, have turned off personal stuff, turned off Bing, turned off sending info to Microsoft.

Some of us don't use the Mail App, don't need live tiles for the Weather or News etc...
Who said we must have tile groups?

The metro UI can be used any way we like to use it or not at all.
I use it differently than others and like it that way.
Frankly, I get annoyed (an example) with 70 tiles.
There is no such thing as a proper start screen.

As far as menus go, I don't hate them, or dislike them,
I just prefer something not bolted to a corner or fixed to the taskbar.

ss111w.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
I was okay with the start screen and tiles. For awhile. Then just for something to do I tried out the different start button apps. I finally wound up paying $3 bucks for StartIsBack, just personal preference and it looked best to me.

I have tried them all and StartIsBack is the best of the bunch IMO. It is the only one of the 3rd party start menu apps that looks and functions like it is native to the operating system. All of the rest of them look and work like add on software. The colors don't quite match.......the text is slightly different.....extra features, etc. I have it on 3 machines and it is the best $8 I ever spent.

I disagree it should be default, the reason is for the non techy users. I prefer Classic Shell for all the option and setting that I have control over, so even if MS put the default start menu back in I'll continue using CS. Funny thing is if MS hadn't taken the Start Button away I probably would never have tried any aftermarket Start buttons at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
SoftPedia as a news source and "Start Menu coming back" as the headline didn't tip you off? I doubt there is a better example of a fake story

This site is like the tabloid of tech news. Mushy stories and high-end ads. Press on the author’s “Tweet” at the end to see what you get.

View attachment 43453

Really?!! Let’s get serious. And I dare not open this site on my phone for when I attempt to scroll with a touch screen something opens or pops up!

View attachment 43454

:haha:

Wow, Vlad! There is a striking resemblance isn't there? Nah...it can't be!

Actually I like Bogdan. I think he's a excellent writer. Too good for that site IMO. He's pro MS whereas the site is anti MS or so it seems that way to me. Of course that's healthy to get negative feedback in it's own sense. On the other hand sites like that make money off of OS companies with all the downloads they offer, but when MS OSs do go walled gardened they're going to be SOL at least on some of their business. Perhaps they should get into app development while they still can? :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
The big hurdle will be to get companies and devs to write everything in the Modern/Metro. As soon as MS gets finished writing Office in it I think the Desktop app will not be included in 9. It will be an all walled-garden OS.

That's true on the App side,, but I seriously doubt they are going to remove the desktop completely from Win9.
I can tell you, if that is true, I will buy one Copy to check it out, but Win8 will be my last Windows OS.
I know for a fact I am not alone on that. and Many companies would not upgrade for a very long while as they will have to re-code everything. They aren't going to invest that kind of resources this quickly.
It would be another 10 years.

No, Azure is moving forward, but companies as a whole are not ready and a lot of them aren't going to fork out the cash for the resources till it makes complete financial sense to do so.

I would say, that anyone in IT should get ready for the Business Class Cloud though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Because it was mentioned previously, I will add on to what I had stated earlier. This goes to reloading a PC.

I got an SSD drive for my Laptop
Replaced it, installed Win8.1 in less than 10min
Ran all the updates, this took a little while, along with Update1.
There are no current or hidden updates, so every update to date is installed.

When I logged in using my LiveID I was prompted for which PC I wanted to restore my settings from.
It showed my 3 different PC's that I use regularly.
I chose the one I wanted, which was the same one I replaced the Drive in (for this laptop)
It restored all my settings, theme colors, setup all of my email boxes, contacts, calendar, and placed the App icons on my Start Screen just as they were
I simply had to click the little down arrow to grab them all again.

As for Side Loaded Apps, this could, but generally should not create any kind of an issue.
Most of them should be able to be pushed out, or part of a general image.
Things are so automated now, that pushing a couple of buttons should be all that is needed.

So yes, things are simpler to get setup completely.

Total time with installing everything and reconfiguring was maybe an hour and a half at most.
And all that time was taken my running Updates, sitting around and waiting, where I was able to do other things on my Tablet.

Generally speaking, in a corporate or small business environment, if things are setup properly
It could take about a half hour max to reload a system. And my bet is, it could be gotten down to around 15-20 min.
The only thing that might be left at that point is restoring files (doc's, pst's etc.)
which on modern systems and depending on amount of data, could go really quick.

So, let's stop with the FUD, let's get to know what these systems are capable of, and enjoy the fact that we
can do what we can do in this day and age.

you know, people complain about the potential for a closed Windows System, but that would be dumb on their part as Google and Apple have that going on right now.

I seriously doubt Windows will fully go the way of Chromebook, which I think some are starting to believe that will be the case.
They might get closer to the Apple model, but I still think that would be a mistake on MS part, and I really don't think they are going to take Desktop and Laptops in that direction. (as in, getting rid of the desktop completely across all Windows Environments), I just do not see that happening.
I could be wrong, but, I doubt it.

We shall see......

BTW, my laptop used to take about 2min to restart,, it's less than 10seconds now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
...That's the whole idea of the new system > Instant personal info upon boot or wake...

I've heard this theme before. The idea. Ok, that's the plan.
... disagree with the concept of a proper start screen. Some of us don't logon with a Microsoft Account, don't have Windows Phones or tablets, don't need synchronization, have turned off personal stuff, turned off Bing, turned off sending info to Microsoft.

Some of us don't use the Mail App, don't need live tiles for the Weather or News etc...
Who said we must have tile groups?

The metro UI can be used any way we like to use it or not at all.
I use it differently than others and like it that way.
Frankly, I get annoyed (an example) with 70 tiles.
There is no such thing as a proper start screen.

As far as menus go, I don't hate them, or dislike them,
I just prefer something not bolted to a corner or fixed to the taskbar.

Ok. The debate goes on. We’ve heard/read it all here the past few years. The fact remains here that some of us see the potential of the "new idea" whereas some do not and would prefer to the “old idea”. To each their own of course. Make it what you will and use it however you want. We all find our own way. After all, that is the crux of freedom.

However, as all items are engineered for a specific task, whether it be an OS, a workshop tool, a kitchen appliance, an 18-wheeler, or what have you. Personally I see no sense in not using something to its fullest potential. It would be like using pliers as a hammer. The engineer/designer of pliers never intended it to be used as a hammer unless he/she placed a hammer head on it also. Then it would have a dual purpose used for its fullest potential. Consider 8.x to be no longer just an OS, but a multi-tasking tool. Store apps no matter who devs them designed to work in conjunction with one another closely meshed with the kernel and UI to work across multiple devices to conveniently sync across all devices. All enclosed in a walled garden safe and more secure than the old “idea”. Welcome to the new computing world of devices and services. That's where the market has been heading for quite some time now. This is MS’s answer to that market trend.

So therefore, make it what you want. You’ll pound the nail in with the pliers eventually. I’ll use the one with the hammer head on it.

BTW, when 8.x boots up it’s in the Modern/Metro UI even if you boot to the Desktop app, for it’s just that > An app > A portal of the UI to run legacy apps. You ought to know that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
The big hurdle will be to get companies and devs to write everything in the Modern/Metro. As soon as MS gets finished writing Office in it I think the Desktop app will not be included in 9. It will be an all walled-garden OS.

That's true on the App side,, but I seriously doubt they are going to remove the desktop completely from Win9.
I can tell you, if that is true, I will buy one Copy to check it out, but Win8 will be my last Windows OS.
I know for a fact I am not alone on that. and Many companies would not upgrade for a very long while as they will have to re-code everything. They aren't going to invest that kind of resources this quickly.
It would be another 10 years.

No, Azure is moving forward, but companies as a whole are not ready and a lot of them aren't going to fork out the cash for the resources till it makes complete financial sense to do so.

I would say, that anyone in IT should get ready for the Business Class Cloud though.

First and foremost through all of this > Not only has MS changed in restructuring and market/product target, but they are diversifying as well with products and services. I realize that’s no big secret really.

You brought up three important words > complete financial sense. MS is in no way ignorant to this. I think you are correct in forecasting the Business Class Cloud OS, but should add as a subscription model as well. This will be true for a native OS also if a business, government, schools, other organizations, etc. choose that. Here's where size does matter. They'll cut businesses, etc, deals that they really can't refuse and have the support behind them to do so.

So much talk around here lately on open source as an alternative. That's ok so far as free, but what about support? You'd better have a very good in-house professional IT support team to do so, which comes at a high cost, otherwise there's going to be a lot of down time. It isn't the price of the software product that's the biggest cost of a project. No, it's the support. And to add it's not so much when hardware or software falters or breaks, but rather when software has to change to fit any changed circumstances of a business, etc.

Now it's time to mention the other two tech giants > Apple and Google. What do they have to offer? Well, Apple makes more profit on hardware than anything else. That seems to be their specialty. Can businesses afford those kinds of prices? Might as well sell jewelry also. Google makes tons of profit on advertising and data tracking. That's their specialty. Businesses need that so far as marketing, but that's about it. Don't forget the integration of Bing in Windows. So what's MS' specialty? Same as it's been all along and what made them the giant they are > Writing software > Cutting edge software > MS Office suite being their mainstay.

That's where the walled-garden (more secure) side-loading custom-tailored apps fit in. I think this will be the most appealing to business, government, schools, and other organizations. That doesn't fit your business, government, or organization model any longer? Then it can be custom tailored for you. If I was a dev, I'd be jumping all over this. Endless possibilities with it. That's the real reason why MS is pushing it so much. Everyone seems to think apps will be developed for consumption use only such as we see with other company stores. They are rewriting Office presently. OneNote in Modern/Metro is offered via the Store already > free for now. CAD, Picture editing, Readers, or any other productive software company had better jump on the bandwagon otherwise they’ll be left out. MS will write it to sell in their store.

Allow me to add here that we're a little over the horizon on BYO, which is appealing to businesses and would fit in the MS cloud OS subscription model better. Let me tell you what happened in the construction industry after the housing crash. Want to work? Then BYO tools for we're cutting that expense. Didn't think it was fair to a working stiff, but just saying that's what happened. It seems expenses get cut to the lowest common denominator.

We'll have to watch the charts but I feel those companies coming off of XP don't move to 8.1 straightaway would be ignorant IMO. The desktop there to optionally boot to will exist until 1/10/23. That's roughly 9-1/2 years. 7 will be supported until 1/14/20. That's roughly 5-1/2 years. So, therefore, I think the Desktop app won't be included in 9.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows Help

Bottom line in all this? Go ahead and move onto something else. Let me know how it goes. I myself saw the potential in 8.x not too long after installing and using it. Jumped on the bandwagon and bought a Lumia just before the first of the year. Sure simplified my computing life to ease up time to do other things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
... Personally I see no sense in not using something to its fullest potential. ... BTW, when 8.x boots up it’s in the Modern/Metro UI even if you boot to the Desktop app, for it’s just that > An app > A portal of the UI to run legacy apps. You ought to know that.

I like this. As you say, the debate goes on. I can see great potential as you and others describe the new vision.
The opposition comes from an implied apparent mandate (by some)
that we all comply with everything Microsoft wants.

I guess we should all go out and buy a Windows Phone, a Surface, Office 365, other subscriptions, use Hotmail, use Bing, send personal info and settings to MS, and also send our browsing history to Microsoft?

Also, the desktop, a.k.a. explorer.exe is fundamentally connected (in Windows 8) to the metro UI and WinRT via windows kernel integration, so there can be no disconnection without a rewrite of Windows NT.

Desktop app, for it’s just that > An app > A portal of the UI to run legacy apps

Need to add this: If you think it is just a portal of the UI to run legacy apps,
as described previously, see what happens to your running WinRT metro apps,
if you terminate (end task) Windows Explorer in the Task Manager. (close / suspend the desktop)

Ok?

ss111ab.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
... Personally I see no sense in not using something to its fullest potential ...

I forgot, just wanted to add this. I love the apps screen, and start screen.
I see plastering the start screen with tons of tiles in groups the same as a messed up desktop.

There is no possibility that users will ever be able to use Windows, in every aspect, to its fullest potential.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
What? Do you even know what you mean?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
What? Do you even know what you mean?

Sure. I am guilty of straying off topic, so I apologize for that.
The Update 2 will bring more features related to Microsoft's vision for dependency on Microsoft.

If you are referring to my cynical remark about knowing, the point was vague.
If the intention is to enjoy all aspects of what Microsoft offers by way of cloud services, or Live ID's so to speak,
then that requires an interest or need in doing so.

My reference to PowerShell is such that most users will never fully understand everything that Windows can do.

The complexity of the Operating System is interesting,
and there are books that exceed 1000 pages that have tried to explain it and how to use it.

So simply getting a setting from Microsoft sync does not equate with understanding much.
But I would like to try and go back to 812 as an update.
It will bring some good things, but the live tile desktop start menu is pointless if you have no live tiles.

Is it ok to not have live tiles or not sign in with a Microsoft Account?
I am seeing the view from others that it is not.
Can I configure and run my system how I choose?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
I have enjoyed posting, but once again, perhaps I should stop.
It was interesting, I was watching a few theoretical physicists on you tube try to explain data,
unfortunately most of the points were not recognized.
I have a talent to be upsetting and vague.
Even if I posted a 1000 word response, most would glaze over it or page down.

Thanks anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
I scanned the article and it seems very interesting to me. Judging by the image below if that's what the update 2 will provide I really would want it.
aagn9xU.jpg

And so far Update One is working just fine for me. MS is heading in the right direction with Windows. :geek:
That would be wonderful to get that style of start menu back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.3-3.7 Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77-G41
    Memory
    16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 730
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 20 Inch Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
    PSU
    Thermaltake 550W
    Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Cooling
    Arctic Freezer i30 CO
    Keyboard
    Logitech K330
    Mouse
    Logitech M215
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps
    Browser
    Comodo Chromodo
    Antivirus
    Comodo Internet Security Premium

yes, it is ok.
Granted, the option is slightly buried to create and login with only a local account.
People really should learn how to read and comprehend everything on a computer screen.

Part of using a PC and new tech is to talk to those who actually know.

When someones asks, "What does this error mean." and the error clearly states, access denied
do they really need me to explain it?
you might be surprised that the answer is yes, in detail.

I am all in favor of a PC Drivers license, if you do not have one, you can't even buy a PC.
Much less look at one.

If people wish to remain ignorant of the simplest tasks, they should not complain about their lot in life.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS

yes, it is ok.
Granted, the option is slightly buried to create and login with only a local account.
People really should learn how to read and comprehend everything on a computer screen.

Part of using a PC and new tech is to talk to those who actually know.

When someones asks, "What does this error mean." and the error clearly states, access denied
do they really need me to explain it?
you might be surprised that the answer is yes, in detail.

I am all in favor of a PC Drivers license, if you do not have one, you can't even buy a PC.
Much less look at one.

If people wish to remain ignorant of the simplest tasks, they should not complain about their lot in life.
You forgot something (in lieu of PC "Driver's license) A lot of people make a living of those who are ignorant of or can't or will not bather to learn about OS they are using. If you do not know how to repair and maintain a car, you pay mechanic to do it for you. If you can't drive you pay for school. Same goes for computers, there's a lot of people that will be more than happy to fix something you can't for a pay. I make some pocket money occasionally fixing a mess people do with their computers.Knowledge has to be worth something. You either pay for it or save if you have it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Hi there

Just stop and think for a second how BORING it would be if everybody who switches on a Windows PC knew all there possibly is to know about Windows -- for starters we wouldn't have these forums -- also don't people enjoy sometimes being surprised that someone has put forward a great little trick or hint that very few knew existed even if they've been using Windows since almost before PC's existed.

We don't always agree -- that's how it should be - but nothing wrong with information etc etc. - Even at my advanced age I'm quite happy to try out new things or even learn a new way of doing old tasks -- just don't IMMEDIATELY give them up --try a few times --maybe a few days later each time --then if it's not for you that's fine -- like I for one will never warm to the Metro Tile screen for a PC although I could see myself using these if they a) could be launched from the desktop --I've posted elsewhere on this forum how to do that actually !! and b) they actually offered something useful instead of being basically games etc and written by one man and his dog under a dodgy railway arch premisis in a bad neighbourhood in town.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there

Just stop and think for a second how BORING it would be if everybody who switches on a Windows PC knew all there possibly is to know about Windows -- for starters we wouldn't have these forums -- also don't people enjoy sometimes being surprised that someone has put forward a great little trick or hint that very few knew existed even if they've been using Windows since almost before PC's existed.

We don't always agree -- that's how it should be - but nothing wrong with information etc etc. - Even at my advanced age I'm quite happy to try out new things or even learn a new way of doing old tasks -- just don't IMMEDIATELY give them up --try a few times --maybe a few days later each time --then if it's not for you that's fine -- like I for one will never warm to the Metro Tile screen for a PC although I could see myself using these if they a) could be launched from the desktop --I've posted elsewhere on this forum how to do that actually !! and b) they actually offered something useful instead of being basically games etc and written by one man and his dog under a dodgy railway arch premisis in a bad neighbourhood in town.

Cheers
jimbo
Great description of APPs, exactly what I found and think of them. Spent few evenings looking thru them and found nothing I would keep. Until there are some better than desktop ones, APPs from the store are not going to do much.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro