Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

I've tried the app store but it demands I sign in to an MS account or create one after you enter your local password.

Yes but it's temporally. It's just for ID purposes. It won't stay connected and it won't activate any sync settings as a normal MS login would do. My PC still sleeps like a baby.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
You have a point if you don't want to use the app store or onedrive. But, if you do.........

You still can use the app store on a local account. You just need to enter your password each time you want to install an app. It works very well. As for Onedrive, I use Google Drive and box instead. And they are embeded in Windows explorer. There are many solutions to avoid using native MS crap. But yeah, it depends on how you use your PC, but my point is just there are plenty of alternatives.

Good day to all of you frustrated Win 8.1 users!! XD
using google instead of microsoft , thats like the lesser of 2 evils .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
At least Google Drive doesn't prevent sleep... Casperjack!

My configuration is really stable right now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
At least Google Drive doesn't prevent sleep... Casperjack!

My configuration is really stable right now.
I don't use or need something like one drive or google drive ,so my configuration is just fine too

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
Who does need a MS. Account on a PC anyway? It's totally useless.
Your succinct comment made me think that perhaps you have a point. I've liked the idea of trying "the new thing" and using "the new feature." As silly as it sounds, I like that so many of my Windows settings are backed up to the cloud. It makes installing from scratch just that much easier. But right now I only have one computer with Win8/.1 so, at least for now, the multiple computer sign on with the same username is a moot point. HOWEVER, one day before too much longer I hope, this will matter more to me as I upgrade my old computers to Win8. I also like if I install Windows from scratch I don't have set every single OS/GUI option back up... But how often and how hard does this really impact my life?

Pros:
Save windows settings online - use sign in across multiple computers. I REALLY LIKE this feature.

Cons:
Can't use the local username I want - am forced to use a firstname/lastname type of thing. HATE THIS.
Computer doesn't sleep. HATE THIS EVEN WORSE!

MEHs:
OneDrive sync directly through the OS. I don't care about this.
Auto sync files to OneDrive directly through the OS. Don't care.
App store integration. As seldom as I use the silly service, it won't really impact me that much.

I would LOVE it if this MS signon feature worked as intended, but I really feel MS has a bug on their hands they're not bothering to squash. Perhaps like so many other features they'll abandon it and move on - who knows. I guess I have to decide if being able to sleep or being able to use the same signon on with the same various OS settings across all computer signons is more important to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1-64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Intel Core i7/960 3.2GHz Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
    Memory
    Corsair XMS3 12GB DDR3 1600 triple channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce (nVidia) GTX 670
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    300GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    600GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    2TB RAID 0 array on an LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i card using 1TB Hitachi SATA drives
    PSU
    Corsair 750W CMPSU-750HX
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 690
    Cooling
    Air/fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech M500 black laser
    Internet Speed
    58/12
    Browser
    IE11 (64 bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    WinXP-32 as a "server" maintaining my household phone system and running Ubuntu Linux as a web server in VMware Workstation. Another copy of Ubuntu running on hardware serving being used for NAS to store imaging backups. And a slow horrid WD MyBook World Edition II NAS device.
Personally If I were going to ditch all the Windows 8 cloud features then I would probably be on the fast track to ditching Windows altogether. My Chromebook isn't going to replace my Windows 8.1 PC today but I definitely see where this is headed.
Windows is doomed IMO if people using it avoid the online features.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, not trying to start an argument, nor put anyone's opinion down. I'll just try to explain my point of view. I'll try my best to stick to the facts.

Not saying it isn't a bug in the OS, but no one has proven that. In the beginning, Windows OS's weren't known to be the most stable. I think all would agree that with 7 MS proved they can be. :)

I sign into my tower PC and Lumia with my MS account and they are configured to use MS services, of which I enjoy and find handy using as many do, although I realize many don't. Never had a problem with sleep on my tower just as many others don't. My Lumia screen shuts off as configured also.

This is what I mean by the variables of one system vs another. Some systems have no sleep problem at all. What fixes the problem on one machine with the problem may not work on another. This is the stumper of this problem. Usually a solution or update fixes all systems. Obviously not so here.

So far as the Cloud is concerned > Just as we are our best AV, anti-adware, anti-scams, and the like > We need to use some sense with the Cloud. I absolutely do not store personally sensitive data in it. Settings, favorites, pics, calendar, and email are about it. If I get an email with sensitive context and/or attachments I'll download the attachments and delete the email. I'll follow up and ask the sender to do the same. I have a standard script that I copy and paste to do so. The same goes with texts on a phone.

Good luck to those with the sleep problem. I know how frustrating it is when my system doesn't work as expected!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Well, you guys had very interesting point of view! xD I didn't see it that way... For my part, I've experienced the issue when I first updated through the store last november, so I went here to find an answer.

After that, I've clean installed 8.1 from scratch without any sync whatsoever and the problem is gone since then.

I think we could all agree on something: Problem or not, Windows should at least say something with POWERCFG /REQUESTS. That's what I find really annoying in this story. Before 8.1, all sleep problems were manageable: it wasn't always that easy, but if you were willing to to it, a little search on the web, few commands, a reboot or two and it was solved.

When I first try, Win 8, I was really happy to have sync features, but it felt that Win 8 is a transition to something else. For instance, why the hell does half of the parameters is in the good old control panel and the other half in modern UI? It's confusing and counter productive.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
I just recently turned one drive and all sync function back on and my win8.1.1 enterprise is still sleeping on time ,haven't shutdown tower yet to see if it keeps working

why the hell half of the parameters are in the good old control panel and the other half in modern UI?
just for clarity ,what is this in reference to ,and what half are in modern ui

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
I just recently turned one drive and all sync function back on and my win8.1.1 enterprise is still sleeping on time ,haven't shutdown tower yet to see if it keeps working

why the hell half of the parameters are in the good old control panel and the other half in modern UI?
just for clarity ,what is this in reference to ,and what half are in modern ui

It was just meant as an example for Win 8 to be a transition Windows. Example: why when I go to control panel, account settings then modify, does it switch to Modern UI?? My point is why do I sometimes find a parameter in MUI and sometimes in C panel?

I think this transition Windows is not complete yet and the power management just didn't followed the New Windows and the sleep issue is related to that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
ok,got it, but I see no issue with it going to modern to make the changes

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
I found another cause for Windows 8.1's sleeplessness. I finally had a perfectly sleeping system until I started tinkering with Windows Error reporting (werfault.exe) or more specifically since I tried to disable it. After using Image File Execution Options to keep werfault.exe from running, my PC would (again) only sleep once or twice after a reboot then stay awake until the next reboot. Luckily, reverting the changes brought back my reliably sleeping PC.

Still, it got me curious, so I tried several solutions to disable Windows Error reporting:

• Using Image File Execution Options: sleepless
  • Disabling "Windows Error Reporting Service" in Services: sleep ok
  • via Local Group Policy Editor: sleep ok
  • via Local Security Policy: sleep ok
  • Selecting a program (I used "explorer.exe") to exclude from reporting: sleepless

I have no clue why and if it is only the case on my PC. But it may help someone.

I use a MS account and OneDrive, but I have disabled HomeGroup (since I don't use it). (Sorry for my English. I am not a native speaker.)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
I found another cause for Windows 8.1's sleeplessness. I finally had a perfectly sleeping system until I started tinkering with Windows Error reporting (werfault.exe) or more specifically since I tried to disable it. After using Image File Execution Options to keep werfault.exe from running, my PC would (again) only sleep once or twice after a reboot then stay awake until the next reboot. Luckily, reverting the changes brought back my reliably sleeping PC.

Still, it got me curious, so I tried several solutions to disable Windows Error reporting:

• Selecting a program (I used "explorer.exe") to exclude from reporting: sleepless

I have no clue why and if it is only the case on my PC. But it may help someone.

I use a MS account and OneDrive, but I have disabled HomeGroup (since I don't use it). (Sorry for my English. I am not a native speaker.)

English is excellent. Thanks, great contribution!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD

Nice find! but why disable Windows error reporting?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
Why disable error reporting? Maybe because it gets his comp sleeping again?

But, yes, we shouldn't have to cripple our comps to get sleep but this may be a pointer to what is really wrong. Doubtful whether it will get us to the ideal state but, nonetheless, all such pointers are well worth discussing or noting.

We know that cutting off the Internet fixes the problem for a lot of us. Maybe we keep getting errors that are being phoned home?? Maybe there are only some comps that have these errors which explains why some work and some don't???? We also need to explain why a reboot or logout/login sequence will restart sleep for a period of time.

Anyway, in the interests of science, I will try stopping error reporting. Back in a couple of days with the results.

And, Faolan, like Ncguy says, your English is excellent. So, no more apologies on that score!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
"I finally had a perfectly sleeping system until I started tinkering with Windows Error reporting (werfault.exe) or more specifically since I tried to disable it."

... So don't play with it lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
Not sure what @Faolan is actually trying to say...

This makes is sound like disabling werfault.exe caused sleeplessness:
I found another cause for Windows 8.1's sleeplessness. I finally had a perfectly sleeping system until I ... I tried to disable {Windows Error reporting} (werfault.exe). After {keeping} werfault.exe from running, my PC would ... stay awake until the next reboot. ... reverting the changes brought back my reliably sleeping PC.

But this seems to indicate sleep works properly after disabling werfault.exe:
Disabling "Windows Error Reporting Service" in Services: sleep ok

Am I confused? Are "Windows Error Reporting Service" and "Windows Error reporting (werfault.exe)" actually two different things?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1-64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Intel Core i7/960 3.2GHz Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
    Memory
    Corsair XMS3 12GB DDR3 1600 triple channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce (nVidia) GTX 670
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    300GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    600GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    2TB RAID 0 array on an LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i card using 1TB Hitachi SATA drives
    PSU
    Corsair 750W CMPSU-750HX
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 690
    Cooling
    Air/fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech M500 black laser
    Internet Speed
    58/12
    Browser
    IE11 (64 bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    WinXP-32 as a "server" maintaining my household phone system and running Ubuntu Linux as a web server in VMware Workstation. Another copy of Ubuntu running on hardware serving being used for NAS to store imaging backups. And a slow horrid WD MyBook World Edition II NAS device.
Back