Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

For those that Pc isn't sleeping at all there is something wrong such as an application keeping the pc awake, incompatible driver, or a network pc pinging your pc. It could be a number of other reasons that isn't directly related to windows.

Like the moon phase perhaps?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
For those that Pc isn't sleeping at all there is something wrong such as an application keeping the pc awake, incompatible driver, or a network pc pinging your pc. It could be a number of other reasons that isn't directly related to windows.

===================:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

Yeh . . . moon's gotta be full on the 6th Wednesday of the month for the computer to sleep properly. Mmmm, or maybe that's the 7th Thursday . . . I dunno; I just runs da thing!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
If it does not sleep at all out should not be hard to figure out the reason. If it randomly does not sleep then that's different.

For instance many people don't know to check the power settings in device manager for their network adapter. Make sure only a magic packet can wake the pc or disable it if you don't need it.

Powercfg requests tells you what is keeping the pc up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
If it does not sleep at all out should not be hard to figure out the reason. If it randomly does not sleep then that's different.

For instance many people don't know to check the power settings in device manager for their network adapter. Make sure only a magic packet can wake the pc or disable it if you don't need it.

You may find "a" reason if you dedicate enough time and effort. Then, depending on the moon phase, the next update breaks it again and you're back to ground zero. I'm not saying its not worth the time and trouble if you have it to spare.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD

Ohhhhhh, if it were just that simple, Deihmos!

1,568 posts from how many people trying to figure it out and still no concrete answer. And, it's a given that Microsoft doesn't know the answer either.

So, with the original programmer(s) of the software not knowing how to fix the problem what's to say the problem's easily solved?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I thing that sleep is a feature that is on it way out [Microsoft will one day stop trying to fix it ,if they are even trying ].if you are like me and use none of the new cloud syncing features, and things like home group, then you ok ,sleep will work ,mine sleeps with out issue ,but will not sleep as soon as start using said features. happy computing

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
I thing that sleep is a feature that is on it way out [Microsoft will one day stop trying to fix it ,if they are even trying ].if you are like me and use none of the new cloud syncing features, and things like home group, then you ok ,sleep will work ,mine sleeps with out issue ,but will not sleep as soon as start using said features. happy computing

For a desktop it's not as important, but for a portable device I think they have to have something. That said I agree that maybe its too complex with all the things they are trying to now support. Seems like trying to adapt the original sleep technology isn't cutting it. If you can live with a crude method though, the StandbyHelper approach seems to work for all but a very small group. For my own desktop it works for me with homegroup, network login, skydrive etc and while not as sophisticated seems to have not caused any problems as of yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Ok it looks like Microsoft released an update to fix the sleep issue in windows 8.1 but it didn't install on my PC through windows update. I manually installed it and no more sleep issues. I could have saved a lot of time if I knew this before.

Computer never goes to sleep even if the timer is set in Windows 8.1

KB2919394 - Search Microsoft.com

Wow! It was from February... it was optional... by optional, do they meant we need to go to the website or it was optional in Windows update? I always do all updates, even the optional ones...

Great find (maybe)...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
Ok it looks like Microsoft released an update to fix the sleep issue in windows 8.1 but it didn't install on my PC through windows update. I manually installed it and no more sleep issues. I could have saved a lot of time if I knew this before.

Computer never goes to sleep even if the timer is set in Windows 8.1

KB2919394 - Search Microsoft.com

Wow! It was from February... it was optional... by optional, do they meant we need to go to the website or it was optional in Windows update? I always do all updates, even the optional ones...

Great find (maybe)...

I have windows set to check for recommended updates. This update was not installed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Mine was installed 13 Feb and, no, it didn't fix my problem!

Everyone problem seems to be different. Some people say their PC never sleeps but mine does but it stops working after a while and wouldn't work again unless I restart. This KB fixed it for those people experiencing the same behavior. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Ok it looks like Microsoft released an update to fix the sleep issue in windows 8.1 but it didn't install on my PC through windows update.
This was installed on my PC on 2/12/2014 through Windows Update - didn't help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1-64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Intel Core i7/960 3.2GHz Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
    Memory
    Corsair XMS3 12GB DDR3 1600 triple channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce (nVidia) GTX 670
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    300GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    600GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    2TB RAID 0 array on an LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i card using 1TB Hitachi SATA drives
    PSU
    Corsair 750W CMPSU-750HX
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 690
    Cooling
    Air/fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech M500 black laser
    Internet Speed
    58/12
    Browser
    IE11 (64 bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    WinXP-32 as a "server" maintaining my household phone system and running Ubuntu Linux as a web server in VMware Workstation. Another copy of Ubuntu running on hardware serving being used for NAS to store imaging backups. And a slow horrid WD MyBook World Edition II NAS device.
For a desktop it's not as important, but for a portable device I think they have to have something.

I kinda have to disagree on the desktop bit, NCguy, although I absolutely agree with portables having to sleep reliably for obvious reasons.

Back to the desktop . . . the main reason I want my desktop to sleep is for energy savings. When I think about the number of desktops just within my subdivision, and if even half of them don't sleep reliably, that's a pretty big energy energy hit. I generally turn my PC on in the morning when I get up and turn it off at night when I go to bed. That means that, for the most part, my PC is on for approximately 15 hours per day and I may actively use it for approximately 6 hours (if I stretch it). If it doesn't sleep, well . . . 9 hours of a fully active PC . . . you do the math. Then we can multiply me by how many?

So, even though it may not be important for desktops to sleep in some ways; in other ways it's most important that they sleep.

While typing this, I had another thought . . . what if the default is for maintenance and other jobs to be done while the PC is idl; I recall that my computer has asked if I want that particular default on some things.

I think that if Microsoft were to stop trying to control our every move by doing things for us and making us think instead, a lot of these problems would be resolved. Instead of doing it for us, we could be gently reminded that a particular job hasn't been done in a while.

I recall that in the not so distant past every OS came with a manual that required me to read and think. Now, Microsoft just does it for us and the OS has gotten more and more cumbersome without any real way to figure out what comes next because we just don't have the written word.

Sure, there are books out there about Windows, but . . . more and more I'm also seeing equipment I purchase requiring me to go online to get the manual. But how am I going to get the manual to my OS if there's nothing telling me where to go and what to do?

I have one word for that . . . BASICS!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
For a desktop it's not as important, but for a portable device I think they have to have something.

I kinda have to disagree on the desktop bit, NCguy, although I absolutely agree with portables having to sleep reliably for obvious reasons.

Back to the desktop . . . the main reason I want my desktop to sleep is for energy savings. When I think about the number of desktops just within my subdivision, and if even half of them don't sleep reliably, that's a pretty big energy energy hit. I generally turn my PC on in the morning when I get up and turn it off at night when I go to bed. That means that, for the most part, my PC is on for approximately 15 hours per day and I may actively use it for approximately 6 hours (if I stretch it). If it doesn't sleep, well . . . 9 hours of a fully active PC . . . you do the math. Then we can multiply me by how many?

So, even though it may not be important for desktops to sleep in some ways; in other ways it's most important that they sleep.

While typing this, I had another thought . . . what if the default is for maintenance and other jobs to be done while the PC is idl; I recall that my computer has asked if I want that particular default on some things.

I think that if Microsoft were to stop trying to control our every move by doing things for us and making us think instead, a lot of these problems would be resolved. Instead of doing it for us, we could be gently reminded that a particular job hasn't been done in a while.

I recall that in the not so distant past every OS came with a manual that required me to read and think. Now, Microsoft just does it for us and the OS has gotten more and more cumbersome without any real way to figure out what comes next because we just don't have the written word.

Sure, there are books out there about Windows, but . . . more and more I'm also seeing equipment I purchase requiring me to go online to get the manual. But how am I going to get the manual to my OS if there's nothing telling me where to go and what to do?

I have one word for that . . . BASICS!

I do agree with you on energy also. It may not be quite as important as in the past because the newer desktops, especially with SSDs, seem to be consuming much less power. That said, its still important and why I run StandbyHelper on my W8 desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL