Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

Apparently I jinxed myself. Local account worked well for a week and now its back to not sleeping. srvnet is the culprit.

I'm so sorry, Bru! I think it must have been me, since I told you a local account didn't work for me. :( <sniff>
LOL.

Now its back to working after a couple of reboots. The local account definitely works better for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have legit iso file of all versions of windows 8 from msdn ,anyone wont one ,just pay the shipping and a $1.00 for the dvd and I'll send you one ,no key of course

Caper, if I'm not mistaken (and I hope I am), when we signed up for MSDN/Technet, we agreed not to pass out any of the software we received. Since my account on Technet is now kaput, I don't have access to the terms, so can't check it.

I have long wanted to pass out (without a key) DVDs for those who wanted to do a clean install, but have been afraid to because of what I believe my agreement with Microsoft entails.

I would hate to see our helpful natures get any one of us into trouble; thus, I've kept my mouth shut (or is that my keyboard?).

I have Windows 8.0 and 8.1 Pro from Technet that I have used for a clean install on my laptop, but am forced to go to "The Store" for updates to Windows 8/8.1 Core on this desktop.

Wynona, aren't there generic keys and copies circulating that can be used to get you installed to a point that you must then change to your own valid key? I thought MS was ok with that?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Wynona, aren't there generic keys and copies circulating that can be used to get you installed to a point that you must then change to your own valid key? I thought MS was ok with that?

Yes, there are generic keys that will let you install 8.1 and then use your 8.0 key to activate.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that we're forbidden to make copies and distribute them even without the key. What we need is for someone who has the licensing terms for Technet or MSDN to read the thing and quote it to us so that we don't make any errors in judgment.

I remember that Newegg had copies of Windows 8 or 8.1 listed for $14.95 without a key, but those disappeared almost before they were discovered. My thought is that Microsoft made them take 'em off the market. I believe lots of folks would have paid $14.95 just to be able to install a clean copy of Windows 8/8.1.

I don't see a thing wrong with making a copy of my Technet DVD and giving it to a friend; however, before I do it, I have to know that I won't get into hot water for it.

And that's the bottom line . . . I think we should be allowed, but I'm not sure we are.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Yes, there are generic keys that will let you install 8.1 and then use your 8.0 key to activate.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that we're forbidden to make copies and distribute them even without the key. What we need is for someone who has the licensing terms for Technet or MSDN to read the thing and quote it to us so that we don't make any errors in judgment.

I remember that Newegg had copies of Windows 8 or 8.1 listed for $14.95 without a key, but those disappeared almost before they were discovered. My thought is that Microsoft made them take 'em off the market. I believe lots of folks would have paid $14.95 just to be able to install a clean copy of Windows 8/8.1.

I don't see a thing wrong with making a copy of my Technet DVD and giving it to a friend; however, before I do it, I have to know that I won't get into hot water for it.

And that's the bottom line . . . I think we should be allowed, but I'm not sure we are.

I understand your concern. I also wonder if this is a case of MS having the language but choosing not to enforce. Or at least not at this time. Guess it won't hurt to play it safe.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
I have legit iso file of all versions of windows 8 from msdn ,anyone wont one ,just pay the shipping and a $1.00 for the dvd and I'll send you one ,no key of course

Caper, if I'm not mistaken (and I hope I am), when we signed up for MSDN/Technet, we agreed not to pass out any of the software we received. Since my account on Technet is now kaput, I don't have access to the terms, so can't check it.

I have long wanted to pass out (without a key) DVDs for those who wanted to do a clean install, but have been afraid to because of what I believe my agreement with Microsoft entails.

I would hate to see our helpful natures get any one of us into trouble; thus, I've kept my mouth shut (or is that my keyboard?).

I have Windows 8.0 and 8.1 Pro from Technet that I have used for a clean install on my laptop, but am forced to go to "The Store" for updates to Windows 8/8.1 Core on this desktop.

hum, maybe not ,I never read to close any of the rules lol
but will withdraw my offer just in case

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
It's unfortunate MS did the update through the store and didn't want to give us the ISO il a legit way. That created many problems.

All those who made the update that way have a broken restore / refresh feature in PC settings and it's impossible to get a clean install. It really sucks. Selling a broken Windows is not fair, they stole our money!

Anyway....

Did anyone re-post this link for getting a free, legit way of making a .ISO copy of Win 8.1 by just using your product key? I am sure it is in the forum here somewhere.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
I setup a homegroup 2 days ago and it stopped sleeping ,disable homegroup and it fell fast asleep
Yeah, IPV6 and Homegroup are interrelated. If you turn off IPV6, your computer will probably sleep but you cannot have a Homegroup. It sucks as I use Homegroup a LOT. I am still using Standby Helper to sleep reliably.

Lin, I am laying remote internet curse on your machine using chicken entrails (well actually chicken livers is all that is available in the grocery store) to turn your spell of fortune into misery and pain. ZOOK (enter).
Ooooh, John, you haven't have you? Well, I have delved into my anti-hex cookbook and have a fool proof remedy for the chicken liver thing. So far it seems to be working!!! (And, no, it didn't require me to buy a MAC or revert to windows 3.1!!).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
Did anyone re-post this link for getting a free, legit way of making a .ISO copy of Win 8.1 by just using your product key? I am sure it is in the forum here somewhere
its in the tutorial section

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
It's unfortunate MS did the update through the store and didn't want to give us the ISO il a legit way. That created many problems.

All those who made the update that way have a broken restore / refresh feature in PC settings and it's impossible to get a clean install. It really sucks. Selling a broken Windows is not fair, they stole our money!

Anyway....

Did anyone re-post this link for getting a free, legit way of making a .ISO copy of Win 8.1 by just using your product key? I am sure it is in the forum here somewhere.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key

I'm not sur if the glitch is still alive, but I've got my ISO that way. But still... it sucks. That's my point. It shouldn't be that way. Period.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS

Anyway....

I'm not sur if the glitch is still alive, but I've got my ISO that way. But still... it sucks. That's my point. It shouldn't be that way. Period.

Couldn't agree more! Shouldn't have to whatsoever! I'm absolutely livid on this subject! I spent good money for an 8 Pro System Builder Dvd. Had I'd known they were going to release 8.1 so soon I would have bought the cheaper download of 8 and waited for the 8.1 release. What's more salt in the wound is that my System Builder key won't work for the ISO download as in Brink's tutorial below. Ugh!

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

Anyway....

Orbit, is your ISO a full install or an upgrade install that requires Windows 8 to be on the system? Inquiring ferrets need to know even if they have a Technet ISO. :)

And, can one use an OEM Windows 8 key?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Deleted. DamnifIknow where to get ANY copy of the Win8.1.1 .ISO . Technet is gone, the torrents do not have it, there are sites that have them but they are usually pre-activated. I am stumped. MS could not make this any harder.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS

Orbit, is your ISO a full install or an upgrade install that requires Windows 8 to be on the system? Inquiring ferrets need to know even if they have a Technet ISO. :)

And, can one use an OEM Windows 8 key?

I used the official MS site : install win 8 / 8.1 only with a key then used the download glitch to get the iso.

Yes it is a full copy. But you need a generic key to install it. Once on the desktop you put your own win 8 key

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
My Insomnia temporarily reappeared with the reason being steelseries engine. How bad can an OS to fail so often and so consictently... I am really getting mad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
My Insomnia temporarily reappeared with the reason being steelseries engine. How bad can an OS to fail so often and so consictently... I am really getting mad.

Just install StandbyHelper and forget about it until the code is rewritten (if ever). I still follow the thread out of curiosity but I am certainly no longer stressed out over sleep issues. It really is a simple fix with no side affects.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Finally how to solve the problem?

So far, a complete solution hasn't been found. As time goes on, though, Microsoft has fixed the problem (inadvertantly, I think) for some of us, myself included.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB