Windows 8.1 first look: Finally, Windows the way you want

With Windows 8.1 Microsoft finally recognizes that a big portion of the world actively dislikes the new "Modern" interface and Start screen, and lets people downplay it, bypass it, or make it work the way they like. It doesn't solve the basic problem of Windows 8 having dueling interfaces -- one for touch and tablets, and another for the desktop and mouse and keyboard -- but it gives desktop fans enough options to make the operating system much better to use.
Big changes include the ability to go directly to the desktop when you sign in, and a whole host of Start screen customizations that make it more useful for those who primarily use the desktop. There's also now a not-particularly useful Start button that doesn't come close to having the features offered by the old school Start button you've come to love in earlier Windows versions.
If you're like me, what you care about most about is the go-to-desktop option, and changes that make the Start screen easier to use. You would expect that you'd get to those changes from the Start screen somewhere...but if you expected that, you'd be wrong. Instead, head to the desktop, right-click the taskbar and select Properties to get to the Taskbar and Navigation properties screen. There's a new tab here called Navigation. This is essentially command central for the new features for customizing the Start screen and booting to the desktop. It's got two sections: Core navigation and Start screen.
The bottom line
Windows 8.1 is far more configurable than Windows 8, and those who primarily use the desktop will be especially pleased to be able to go directly to it when they sign in. Also useful are the new features for customizing the Start screen, particularly for using it as an app launcher. This new version of Windows 8 isn't perfect, but this newfound power to tweak and customize makes it a far better operating system than the one that shipped.
Note: I'll have a more in-depth look at Windows 8.1 on Computerworld in several days.
Windows 8.1 first look: Finally, Windows the way you want it | Computerworld Blogs

I know this is Microsoft's dream, but we are not going to give up without a fight. My prediction is their dream will more then likely turn into a nightmare.

Not all of us are Quislings.

Well, think about it this way. Where are you going to go if MS ultimately won't yield? Mac? Macs are beautiful pieces of machinery with little practical purposes. Most softwares, particularly those for businesses and honest to god real work (I'm not talking about brain dead blogging), are written for windows.

Linux? Your productivity will take a nose dive. Why? Because you will have to google for everything you want to do. I happen to know for a fact that Linux forums aren't that helpful either. They are full of 1337s that get annoyed at every question you ask. I've been told by these Linux 1337s that I'm stupid and should go kill myself.

May be you could go back to dos?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I know this is Microsoft's dream, but we are not going to give up without a fight. My prediction is their dream will more then likely turn into a nightmare.

Well, think about it this way. Where are you going to go if MS ultimately won't yield? Mac? Macs are beautiful pieces of machinery with little practical purposes. Most softwares, particularly those for businesses and honest to god real work (I'm not talking about brain dead blogging), are written for windows.

Linux? Your productivity will take a nose dive. Why? Because you will have to google for everything you want to do. I happen to know for a fact that Linux forums aren't that helpful either. They are full of 1337s that get annoyed at every question you ask. I've been told by these Linux 1337s that I'm stupid and should go kill myself.

M$ is having a hard time killing off XP they haven't killed there Vista flop how long do you think Windows 7 will last?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Microsoft's "dream" may turn out to be the desktop user's nightmare. But if Microsoft does not come to its senses their are other choices developing such as Linux.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870

M$ is having a hard time killing off XP they haven't killed there Vista flop how long do you think Windows 7 will last?

Oh, I've no doubt that windows 7 will last a very long time. What's your point?

Labeeman, I'm having trouble understanding your view. It seem to me like you keep holding onto this view of all or nothing. What's wrong with people holding onto old software? You have a choice as a consumer. You can use any OS you want. Heck, no one is stopping you from using dos if you really want to.

That's why all the whinings have been getting to me lately. People sound like someone is holding a gun to their head forcing them to use the evil metro start screen. It's simply not the case at all. People can use xp, vista, 7, dos, 95, etc. They can use anything they want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
That's one of the things I dislike about Win 8/8.1. Is it really that difficult to add the option to switch to a desktop with Win 7 functionality and appearance for those that prefer that look? If they did that one little thing I would switch to Win 8, and I assume many others would do the same. Why are they being buttheads and refusing to put it in Win 8 and 8.1?

That's what truly perplexes me. Why not just make the choice available..?? They would turn all this angst into positive feelings, positive reviews...
Wtf is wrong with these guys..?? What are they thinking..??
I really don't get it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Microsoft's "dream" may turn out to be the desktop user's nightmare. But if Microsoft does not come to its senses their are other choices developing such as Linux.
In the mobile market Android (Linux) is attempting to go desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info

What nightmare are you referring to? I am currently coding on an i7 machine with two 24-inch HD monitors running 8 pro. Works fine to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Labeeman, I'm having trouble understanding your view. It seem to me like you keep holding onto this view of all or nothing. What's wrong with people holding onto old software? You have a choice as a consumer. You can use any OS you want. Heck, no one is stopping you from using dos if you really want to.

That's why all the whinings have been getting to me lately. People sound like someone is holding a gun to their head forcing them to use the evil metro start screen. It's simply not the case at all. People can use xp, vista, 7, dos, 95, etc. They can use anything they want.

My view is the same as M$ all or nothing I do not like being forced to there agenda when user choice is all that is needed.
M$ has spent quite a sum on adds due to no choice, word of mouth is hard to buy and they have not bought me off yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
I use my Android tablet only for mail, photos, movies and music. I also installed the alpha version of "LibreOffice for Android" but can't imagine me working on that. I'm definitely a desktop guy !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff

If you pick the wrong distro then you can find them a bit elitist. If you choose something like Mint or Ubuntu the forums are a lot better.

But Linux is my fall back plan. I have several distros running under Virtualbox and play with them. It is a bit of a learning curve but google does work. I have managed to pretty quickly fix any issues I have had with Linux. I don't really find it any harder. You have to use the terminal more, but in Windows you have to deal with the registry to fix a lot of problems.

However I would rather stick to Windows, but only as in the Windows Desktop. The much inferior Metro and the walled garden are not for me.

If Windows continues to go down the toilet, I would get my copy of 8 off the virtual machine and onto my computer once Windows 7 is no longer supported. But it would only be used in Windows 7.5 mode using 3rd party fixes. Windows 8 is good to 2023 and maybe 8.1 until 2024

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s
    Memory
    16.0GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 and 2407WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 and 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    3 x SSD
    Mix of 2, 3 and 4 TB Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX1050
    Case
    Lian Li Diamond Series PC-Z70 Full Tower, Black
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    20mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    Other Info
    Win 8.1.1 and Office 2013 via Virtualbox

Oh, I've no doubt that windows 7 will last a very long time. What's your point?

I use all of them, and quite a few more.

I have over 25 OSes in my collection, not all Windows, and not all even for the PC.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Don't get me wrong, I'm contributing to metro as we speak. Working like a dog to get an app ready for publication.

Hey, good luck with that... I wish you success..!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Mystere:

"Metro will become the desktop.

If only that would be true......."

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
That's why all the whinings have been getting to me lately.
Better learn to suck it up and cop it sweet cos it ain't gonna stop! No point railing against the incoming tide. We won't be silenced.

Whining? Really! Who's whining! Check out the nearest mirror! :dinesh:

Well, think about it this way. Where are you going to go if MS ultimately won't yield? Mac?
W8 with StartIsBack and Modern turned off totally works fine for me. No need or desire for 8.1.

When Win7 & W8 are finally put out to pasture, if M$ haven't yielded by then, I'm sure another similar desktop OS will be on offer. Right now there are so many knocking on the door, it must eventually happen. And I'm not talking Linux, Mac or similar ... but a DIY type enthusiasts rig as well as a conventional desktop type setup for businesses.

Whichever way you look at it, time is on our side. We can wait.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Am starting to think this is what MS wants us to want. lol.

Smart-Screen-Laptop.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
That is too complicated. There are different shapes. MS wants all rectangles.

Still can't get 8.1 to go to sleep properly. Ubuntu manages it fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Great job! 4WD,

Hope that's not the new windows 9 tablet Mr Ballmer and his team are talking about that will be released in 2014?

LMAO Big Time :)

Good Job 4WD ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 2 Extreme 4 Core 3.2GHz X9770
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
Or, you can do like most people, and simply install "Classic Shell", and bring back the full, normal desktop experience....

Classic Shell.... free and easy....

Yep, I fail to understand why people keep moaning about...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo ideapad Y560p
    CPU
    i7-2630QM
    Motherboard
    Lenovo