Windows 8.1 first look: Finally, Windows the way you want

With Windows 8.1 Microsoft finally recognizes that a big portion of the world actively dislikes the new "Modern" interface and Start screen, and lets people downplay it, bypass it, or make it work the way they like. It doesn't solve the basic problem of Windows 8 having dueling interfaces -- one for touch and tablets, and another for the desktop and mouse and keyboard -- but it gives desktop fans enough options to make the operating system much better to use.
Big changes include the ability to go directly to the desktop when you sign in, and a whole host of Start screen customizations that make it more useful for those who primarily use the desktop. There's also now a not-particularly useful Start button that doesn't come close to having the features offered by the old school Start button you've come to love in earlier Windows versions.
If you're like me, what you care about most about is the go-to-desktop option, and changes that make the Start screen easier to use. You would expect that you'd get to those changes from the Start screen somewhere...but if you expected that, you'd be wrong. Instead, head to the desktop, right-click the taskbar and select Properties to get to the Taskbar and Navigation properties screen. There's a new tab here called Navigation. This is essentially command central for the new features for customizing the Start screen and booting to the desktop. It's got two sections: Core navigation and Start screen.
The bottom line
Windows 8.1 is far more configurable than Windows 8, and those who primarily use the desktop will be especially pleased to be able to go directly to it when they sign in. Also useful are the new features for customizing the Start screen, particularly for using it as an app launcher. This new version of Windows 8 isn't perfect, but this newfound power to tweak and customize makes it a far better operating system than the one that shipped.
Note: I'll have a more in-depth look at Windows 8.1 on Computerworld in several days.
Windows 8.1 first look: Finally, Windows the way you want it | Computerworld Blogs

Several 8.1 threads so not sure where this belongs but I am extremely disappointed in MS.

I had the option for the $19.99 upgrade (I think that was the price) because I had purchased a Win 7 laptop shortly before Win 8 was released. Based on reviews and my research I decided I didn't want the OS as I didn't have a touchscreen computer so I didn't really see a lot of benefit. So now barely six months later they release 8.1 which seems to have resolved most of the issues non touch screen users had. But I can't get it without paying full price. MS should have some sort of discount available but of course they want. Yes I know it is my fault but still I am disappointed (and I am a Microsoft shareholder too).

Bru,

hang tight till windows 9 arrives or go back to Windows 7 Ultimate and don't touch windows 8 or Windows blue this is the 2nd place worse and garbage next to Windows Vista stay on Windows 7 for a couple of years Windows 9 is nice I am have been testing it for the last 3 months

Or, you can do like most people, and simply install "Classic Shell", and bring back the full, normal desktop experience....

Classic Shell.... free and easy....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
I recently installed the Windows 8.1 preview version of the much anticipated "code name: Blue" update, which is still yet to be released to manufacturing (RTM) this upcoming October. The few changes made to the Windows 8 platform by the new update is negligible at best! Most of the changes can be attributed to fixing "so-called" navigation issues as reported by numerous Windows 8 upgrade customers. Users now have the ability to choose via the new Taskbar & Navigation properties how they want Windows 8.1 to start. Some users will be happy to know there is now an option to start Windows directly into the Desktop mode as oppose to the earlier version's Metro mode, which is all about apps and tiles. Microsoft also decided to bring back the Start button to the left side of the taskbar. However, it's nothing like the old Windows Start button and menu.

The new button essentially takes the user to the same old Windows 8 Start menu of tiles, but once there, users can click on a tiny little button to the lower-left of the screen that allows users to expand the start menu to show all programs and apps.

New changes to the Change PC Settings menu include make it function more as a Metro Style side Control Panel. Users can do more with Bluetooth, Networking, etc... The biggest change I can see is the improvements to the search Windows 8.1 feature. They've provided access to search from various locations where it previously didn't exist in the previous version of Windows 8.

I happened to have Windows Media Center installed, so the Windows 8.1 update also provides a few extras the Media Center as well. A copy of Cyberlink's Power DVD 10 was added for playing back Blue-ray media.

Lastly, much needed changes were made to the Microsoft Store app. Users can now see a list the store's content at a glance by accessing a drop menu that has the store app's content listed by category. They've also added a previously missing search field to the Microsoft store app, which allows users to search the store by entering a specific app name rather than having to scroll through every app in the store to find what you're looking for.

That said... Windows 8.1 (Code Name: Blue) seems to be a forward-looking approach to addressing the many complaints of its customers who decided to upgrade to the previous version of windows 8. There are new navigation fixes, security fixes, added features and the ability to do more in the way of personalizing the new OS to fit the user's needs.

I know... Microsoft kind of dropped the ball with its first attempt at windows 8, but they obviously heard those of us who called them to task on it and are now attempting to get back on track with the upcoming RTM release of Windows 8.1 (Code Name: Blue).

Good Job!!!:thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center © 2013 Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600.16408
    HP Pavilion dv6t – 6100 CTO series Notebook PC LM328AV#ABA
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) I7-2720QM @ 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD + Radeon(TM) HD 6490M
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    IE 11 & Firefox Nightly28.0a1
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Its no where close to what I want.

It's kind of weird how no one seems to complain when Apple releases a new so-called upgrade phone every 6 months or so with very little in the way of anything new to add to it or make it better. This type sparing update release method costs Apple users hundreds of dollars, but they'll wait in long lines to be the first to buy their very own set of "The emperor's New Clothes."

On the other hand... Microsoft changed it's whole game for it's customers to make life more simple only to find we'd much rather be spoon feed as slowly as Apple's consumer base.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Hi there

I'm not really one for the whole Tile stuff so I'm afraid I'm never going to completely like W8 but at least I've got BOOT to desktop and I tend to use custom toolbars so I don't miss or really need a "Classic" menu. I do like the Search though.

seems fine by me (apart from the whole Tile stuff which isn't for me) -- I'm still testing in a VM -- my problem is that I want the Enterprise version -- the Preview is only Windows 8 Pro -- I really need the Windows to Go app (and that's Enterprise only).

IE11 seems OK although some problems with things like Online Banking and some other "secure" type websites which deny me access with a message Your browser is not a supported version - please UPDATE it" !!!! --- I suppose we'll probably have to wait 3 years or so before some Off shored overpaid consultancy group gets round to fixing this. Typical of shoddy off shored stuff these days -- however what else does one expect from BANKS -- to actually give their customers a decent Service -- Ms would probably be developing the next OS for APPLE before that happened. !!!

Otherwise so far so good -- no problems installing anything I need. Still playing around with customisation.

Windows 2012 R2 server looks good too -- also available from TechNet -- trying out the ReFs new file system Windows CLIENTS BTW can access this FS both for read and write -- although note the BOOT disk (partition) on W2012 server cannot be ReFs.

Cheers
jimbo

I hear you... I'm not so keen on the new Live Tiles either. Tiles are simply another word for app. It seems both Apple and Google have the market cornered on those, which are basically an access point for cloud services of all kinds. We need to just face it and get use to it. Gone are the days where it all happens locally on your hard drive and we had some semblance of ownership over the programs and media we use to purchase. How better to track our habits than by making everything we do available in the cloud?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
How do programs like Classic Shell and Start8 work with 8.1? I'm assuming one would have to disable their start buttons now 8.1 has one but will pressing the Windows key on the keyboard bring up the start menu if either of these are installed?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 x64 Pro
    tw33k
    CPU
    Intel 3770K @ 4.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Maximus V Formula
    Memory
    8gb (2x4GB) Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire 7950
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    27" Acer B273HU
    Screen Resolution
    2048 x 1152
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 128GB
    WD Black 2TB
    Samsung F3 1TB
    WD 1TB USB 2.0
    WD 3TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Corsair AX-750
    Case
    Corsair 800DW
    Cooling
    H100
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless 5000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless 5000
    Internet Speed
    5mb/s
Satrt8 doesn't work, but Classic Shell 3.7.1 works fine with one minor issue: Windows 8.1 Start Button bitmap appears over the Classic Shell one when you pass mouse over, but it's just a visual issue.

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is the worst OS Microsoft has ever made next to Vista

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is only really to be used or installed on tablet type of devices and don't let these clowns at Microsoft tell you or fool you that this new Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 is great for Desktop or High End Laptops cuz that's far from the truth

I will keep all of my Desktops and Laptops on with Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit Version until Windows 9 Pro 64-bit gets released in the spring of May 2015...

Windows 8 or Windows Blue Sucks! for Desktops and Laptops the 2nd worse OS ever made by Microsoft ever...

What makes people think Windows 9 will be better? That's future that we cannot predict without the Spice Melange...

The way things go now,
The longer you wait the worst is gonna get: 9 will carry on 8's legacy and your 7 UI would not even resemble 9.

Good luck upgrading/switching when the time comes. I'm serious.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Its no where close to what I want.

It's kind of weird how no one seems to complain when Apple releases a new so-called upgrade phone every 6 months or so with very little in the way of anything new to add to it or make it better. This type sparing update release method costs Apple users hundreds of dollars, but they'll wait in long lines to be the first to buy their very own set of "The emperor's New Clothes."

On the other hand... Microsoft changed it's whole game for it's customers to make life more simple only to find we'd much rather be spoon feed as slowly as Apple's consumer base.

Well, thats different, apple's phone came and gone, it was just a question of time, no one gives ***** about it anymore, its bugs is its features, plus it just a phone, whereas here we are talking about windows 8 - a try to combine mobile and desktop os in one, which shouldnt be happening at all, and plus 8.1 - a fail to fix issues, that were made by microsoft itself, but somehow many people doesnt see it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
It is normal human behavior to resist or dislike change... years from now we'll be using Windows12 and complaining that it's nothing like our beloved Windows11. :eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Quad Boot Windows 8.1 Pro Preview®x64 Windows 8 Pro®x64 Windows 7 Ultimate®x64 Ubuntu 13.04®x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 570
    CPU
    AMD Athlon II x2 250-3.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    Inspiron 570
    Memory
    8 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4200
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox
    Antivirus
    BitDefender 2013® - Kaspersky 2013®
It is normal human behavior to resist or dislike change... years from now we'll be using Windows12 and complaining that it's nothing like our beloved Windows11. :eek:

... and waiting for Windows 13 anxiously !

:dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
[h=1]GUIs: The computing revolution that turned us into cranky idiots[/h]
Because of this, simplification is now the latest trend in UX design changes, across all of the major platforms, which is also attracting its share of resistance and ire.
We live in an interesting time, one in which the previous era in computing intersects with the next, and the most difficult adaptation of end-user computing habits must take place.
The GUI, almost magical in its design, has made computing accessible to all and completely pervasive in our society, but with it brings a curse of resistance to change and a complacency that comes from taking ease of use for granted.
After 40 years of personal computing, the end user has become a simpleton, no longer requiring specialized knowledge to operate the system. In effect, he's been transformed into a cranky idiot who becomes angry when even the smallest change requiring learning new habits is introduced.
Resistance to this change is inevitable. But we all have to go through it eventually, this cranky idiot included.
Has the explosion in GUIs over the last 40 years made change and end-user acceptance more and more difficult through each successive generation? Talk back and let me know.

GUIs: The computing revolution that turned us into cranky idiots | ZDNet

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Quad Boot Windows 8.1 Pro Preview®x64 Windows 8 Pro®x64 Windows 7 Ultimate®x64 Ubuntu 13.04®x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 570
    CPU
    AMD Athlon II x2 250-3.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    Inspiron 570
    Memory
    8 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4200
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox
    Antivirus
    BitDefender 2013® - Kaspersky 2013®

... and waiting for Windows 13 anxiously !

:dinesh:

If MS keep going down the road they appear to be travelling, I'll have long ago switched to Linux by then.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Hopachi wrote:
I like the new start screen customization, the button (don't like the hover stuff from 8.0) but I needed the Win7 file recovery back, I still need to get used to the new backup system.

Can someone please clarify...did they remove the imaging capability from 8.1?

BIG fail, if that's the case.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.

Resistance to change has nothing to do with anything. Vista and 7 were different from XP and there was a period of time needed to get used to the changes that were made. Win 8 (and 8.1) were designed solely with touch screens, tablets, and phones in mind, and totally blew off the desktop user. The changes are vast and mostly unnecessary.

Where is MS going to hurt the most by this decision? That would be in the business world where practically no one is switching to Win 8. MS has to be losing a ton of money on Win8 due to lost sales in the business world. You would think they would be jumping through hoops trying to come up with solutions. Instead they spread lies about reinstating a start button that does nothing whatsoever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough
Hopachi wrote:
I like the new start screen customization, the button (don't like the hover stuff from 8.0) but I needed the Win7 file recovery back, I still need to get used to the new backup system.

Can someone please clarify...did they remove the imaging capability from 8.1?

BIG fail, if that's the case.

Wenda.

Yes, it has gorn. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I wonder if it'll be back in RTM.

:think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
I tried Windows 8.1 for a few hours, but the more I used it the more I disliked it compared to Windows 7. Microsoft needs to make an OS for a desktop not a tablet. I don't mind if they make a separate OS for tablets and smartphones but they should not put the same interface on a desktop.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
Does anyone know if they fixed the "issue" with the titlebar text color? (the issue with dark text on a dark window border) I've been looking around a bit, and I haven't seen anything on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    i7 3770
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-DH3