Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Total Defense
Sounds like you are in good shape with your important stuff.

Beyond Restore Points, view the attached tutorial regarding Custom Refresh Images. This is a good option especially for those systems where the needed backup media is not available.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...-create-use-custom-recovery-image.html?filter

The absolute best option is to create Backup Images to an external HDD with a program like Macrium Reflect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP 500-075 Desktop + HP 15-f018dx Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz Quad Core/ LT - i3-4030U 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (DX10.1)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    1T HDD, 16G Sandisk Cache Drive, 2T Seagate 3.0 External
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
    CyberPower UPS, Macrium Backup, Revo Pro, Malwarebytes Premium
Great! I'll see if I can get that up and running. Thank you very much again for helping me with all this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 @ 2.5 GHZ
    Memory
    6 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Total Defense
Ok. I'm going to try running sfc and dism again, since Windows still sees an error on the drive. But I honestly think that chkdsk and some of it's other parts, are like, broken. After I run these a few more times, I may just wipe everything and reinstall Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 @ 2.5 GHZ
    Memory
    6 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Total Defense
Ok. I'm going to try running sfc and dism again, since Windows still sees an error on the drive. But I honestly think that chkdsk and some of it's other parts, are like, broken. After I run these a few more times, I may just wipe everything and reinstall Windows.
Yes, I would concur. Some say that running sfc in Safe Mode may help but I have never been in that situation. You might try running the chkdsk disk commands one more time to see if the sfc/dism operations cleaned up those functions at all. If after all this your disk defrag, disk clean-up and chkdsk function are still not functioning properly I think a reinstall is appropriate. It frequently comes down to how much time someone wants to spend troubleshooting. Since it apparent you will not lose much if any important data/files and you have the means to do a reinstall then that's probably the best course of action. Keep me informed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
Please follow OPTION TWO in Check Disk (chkdsk) - Read Event Viewer Log - Windows 7 Help Forums to create a text file of the chkdsk events. Then attach the output to a new post.

Also attach a Disk Management screen shot
  • close the left and right panes (console tree and action) to display the most information
  • stretch the Status column so everything shows
  • drag the bottom frame of the window down to show all drives
  • adjust the middle separation bar to show more if needed

From your CBS.log in post# 13
Code:
Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
This component was referenced by [l:166{83}]"Package_2709_for_[COLOR="#FF0000"]KB3000850[/COLOR]~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.8.3000850-6825_neutral_GDR"
Repair complete
Committing transaction
Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired

I'd like to see the most recent CBS.log that includes the DISM output. gator 2013 asked you to run a few instances of SFC and you said that you would also run DISM again. When those are done, please post the CBS.log and the DISM.log (Windows\logs\DISM\DISM.log - I think)

Noel is a wizard at patching corrupt files in the store, he has or knows where to get the base files. In your case, it might be just as easy to reinstall the KB referenced in the CBS.log
... Wait on doing that until after you post the new CBS and DISM logs - it might not be necessary
There is a pre-requisite and that has a prerequisite.

Please check your Windows Update installed updates:
KB3000850 - reported in the CBS. log as a hash mismatch
KB2919355 is a prerequisite to KB3000850
KB2919355
includes updates
KB2932046
KB2937592
KB2938439
KB2934018
KB2959977
and ...
KB2919442 is a prerequisite update to KB2919355​

Please just look, do NOT take any action at this point. This error is fairly common and there might be a much easier way.
Let members know if any of those KBs are NOT installed.

Post the most recent logs and the Chkdsk events and we can go from there
- no sense doing more than what is necessary !

Running Chkdsk 'offline' might help
- boot to your Repair disc or your install media

select repair my computer
launch Command Prompt
type Diskpart
lis vol
exit​
note the drive letters for the HDD volumes
Chkdsk /f ALL drives on the HDD.​

I'll catch up later when you post the information requested

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro | Win10TP Pro - boot to VHD
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion dv6-c610us
    CPU
    AMD VISION A6-3420M Quad-Core (2.4GHz/1.5GHz)
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6520G Discrete-Class Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2072a (20" LED)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 640GB (5400 RPM)
    Seagate 2 TB external
    WD 500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Logitech K520 (wireless bundle)
    Mouse
    Logitech M310 (wireless bundle)
    Browser
    IE 11 (default) & Pale Moon
    Other Info
    HP product specs:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/model/5218495/document/c03138553/
Thanks for your suggestions, they sound like good ones.

I failed to pick up the reference to possibly failed updates. I don't think the OP has any install media to assist in repair or refresh without ordering it from Toshiba.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
I don't think the OP has any install media to assist in repair or refresh without ordering it from Toshiba.
bretpearson99 can make a "repair disc" from Wndows 8

bret, if you need bootable media see:
[DEL]http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html[/DEL]
Win8.1 disabled this option - sorry for the misinformation.
[DEL]-- OR --[/DEL]
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html

It might be possible to just use the Windows 8 built in troubleshooting
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2269-system-recovery-options-boot-windows-8-a.html

I always forget about this option - I really have to update my memory to avoid using antiquated processes ;)

Waiting on bret now ....

Bill

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion dv6-c610us
    CPU
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2072a (20" LED)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 640GB (5400 RPM)
    Seagate 2 TB external
    WD 500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Browser
    Other Info
    HP product specs:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/model/5218495/document/c03138553/
Okay here. I'll do my best with trying to gather everything you've requested, and in a hopefully organized fashion.

As far as the CheckDisk Results are concerned, it gathered no information in the text file after having run chkdsk just a little bit ago.

The Disk Management Screenshot is here: Screenshot (1).png

CBS.log exceeded the maximum file size but is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0qSo6dk9scLMkg2VC1wTjF3UEk/view?usp=sharing

Same story for DISM as well, and it's available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0qSo6dk9scLRnZKdU9ZME9sM0U/view?usp=sharing (NOTE: You may have to right click the file and tell it to open in notepad since Google thinks it's an audio file for some reason)

My Windows Update Logs are nowhere to be found, as they are cleared by the Disk Cleanup Utility that was ran before this whole situation started.

I already tried to do the chkdsk offline with /f as well, but it done absolutely nothing.

Like I said, hopefully everything you'll need is listed here. My apologies for not being able to get to this sooner.

I don't have the OEM's install media, but I've already gone ahead and ordered a CD from Microsoft, and if a solution can't be determined soon, I may just format everything, including the partitions Toshiba put on here since their partitioning scheme is confusing and just downright messed up. Sorry if this has been a waste of time to any of you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 @ 2.5 GHZ
    Memory
    6 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Total Defense
Thanks for the feedback - let's forget about Chkdsk for the moment and try to straighten out the disk schema.

The disk management looks very strange, but that might just be Toshiba.
I see four partitions of various sizes (1 GB, 450 MB, 350 MB, and 11.54 GB) flagged as Recovery Partition.

I suspect that the 11.54 partition holds the Toshiba Recovery data.
For your reference, here's what MS expects. You can just read it if you want to find out more, even though it's titled: Configure...
there's no action required - just information, Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions

See if http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2843-automatic-repair-run-windows-8-a.html helps - not sure if it will, but it's a good place to start.

Cancel the order for disks from MS, you can download it using the Media Creation Tool.
See OPTION ONE, Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation Tool" in
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html

If you need install media, you can use the DVD created (I strongly recommend a DVD due to UEFI considerations) to run offline tools if needed.

Post a screen shot of your UEFI Boot settings (F12 is common, but you might try F1-help to be sure)
See: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20256-uefi-firmware-settings-boot-inside-windows-8-a.html

You're doing fine, don't worry about wasting EF member's time, that's why we come here - to help other members.

I'll look at the CBS and DISM logs - thanks.

Can you elaborate on what maintenance you did before this issue appeared?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion dv6-c610us
    CPU
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2072a (20" LED)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 640GB (5400 RPM)
    Seagate 2 TB external
    WD 500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Browser
    Other Info
    HP product specs:

Hmmm, DISM doesn't seem happy - it got an unmounts call. Never saw that before.
Code:
[784] Caller did not request sparse mount
[784] Mounting new image.
Wim:         [\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim]
Image Index: [1]
Mount Path:  [C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\18e9231c-8310-48b8-ad9f-2c1492d3efca]
[784] Wimserv process started for guid 484b5b36-f89e-46b1-af44-364a527e7b27.  Id is 1956
[1956] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[1956] Mounted image at C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\18e9231c-8310-48b8-ad9f-2c1492d3efca.
[784] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1415): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[784] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(511)
[784] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(2568)
[784] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1415): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[784] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(511)
[784] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(2568)
[784] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[784] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[1956] Received unmount request for image with guid 484b5b36-f89e-46b1-af44-364a527e7b27.
[1956] Unmount for image at C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\18e9231c-8310-48b8-ad9f-2c1492d3efca complete.

This is followed by repeated 
[0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(511)
[0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(2568)
which is followed by possible dumps of the WIM - not sure, but it seems logical.

I'll look at the CBS.log

I'll wait until you can tell me more about the maintenance you did.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion dv6-c610us
    CPU
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2072a (20" LED)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 640GB (5400 RPM)
    Seagate 2 TB external
    WD 500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Browser
    Other Info
    HP product specs:

My Windows Update Logs are nowhere to be found, as they are cleared by the Disk Cleanup Utility that was ran before this whole situation started.
So all this started after you ran the Disk Clean-up Utility?

Did you check the boxes for both Windows Update and Update Logs?

Out of curiosity will your system let you complete Check For Updates? (Manually)

I have read that clearing the Windows Update Log Files may hinder some of the diagnostic things we have tried.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
Oh, I forgot to ask - what's the disc in your DVD drive. From the label, it looks like it might be install media.

+edit
I'll be off until tomorrow, so there's no hurry. I'm beginning to think a Clean install will be easiest.

How much data do you have (in GB)? IF, and it's only an if right now ... a clean install is the way out of this, then you'll want to back up your personal data.

Do you have an external drive?

Did you create a MS account when you originally installed Win8? There's 15 GB of online storage you can use for your data backup.

There are some other things I'd like you to do before deciding, so don't jump the gun.

Catch up with the information requested (What maintenance did you do) and I'll collect the procedures. IT's not that difficult once you have everything lined up - but it can get messy if you skip around or miss a step.
-edit

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion dv6-c610us
    CPU
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2072a (20" LED)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 640GB (5400 RPM)
    Seagate 2 TB external
    WD 500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Browser
    Other Info
    HP product specs:

Most of the maintenance done on my PC is usually just running disk cleanup, checking the disc for errors, and defragmenting it if it is above 15% about every month. Windows update is checked daily, and I can choose to manually install updates, (usually ones the system deems unimportant), and I do Quick Scans weekly, and full scans monthly. The CD in the drive was windows 10 technical preview. I had planned on partitioning the system to take out 30 GB of C: to test it separately.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 @ 2.5 GHZ
    Memory
    6 GB