Win8 Control Panel Empty-My Docs-Library problem

Yes, at least we each know we're not alone in the problem. But with my frequent searching, and posts on three forums, I know of three occurences: myself, Libraemy, and Hamrag8--all on this forum.

I got this response at another site:"I would suggest restoring the computer to factory settings. Do a full shut down by holding "shift" and clicking "shut down" at the same time. When restarting, hold the "0" key, which should restore your computer using the restore partician.

I had a similar issue with an Asus windows 7 machine a few years ago, but the icons never came back. The fact that yours came back is surprising. The issue that I ran into was caused by a virus, and it was unable to be detected by any anti-virus software. The icons were actually deleted, so the easiest way to fix it was to restore."

I don't really know how this person then determined in was a virus. He may even be incorrect. It might not even be the same exact issue.

You'd think one could find the situation in a search if it has been occurring over some time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite L855
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    6Gb
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Hmm. Drive problems? I haven't found or noticed any unusual drive activity.

I got this reply at another site. Does someone want to look it over/explain?
----------------------------------
Before you do a reset (which will no doubt fix things), try deleting this file and rebooting.

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

You need to remove the desktop (explorer.exe) in order to delete the file. You can do it this way at an Administrator Command Prompt (WinidowsKey + X). Be careful to get the spaces correct.

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
attrib -h IconCache.db
del IconCache.db
start explorer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite L855
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    6Gb
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Just noticed a reply from the other member, Hamrag8 (1 of 3 of us here posting about this problem), as I posted on his thread regarding what happened. He responded: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/21721-my-computer-control-panel-blank-after-time.html

"After trying many suggestions without success, I finally reinstalled my backup copy.
It was only 3 months old so was not much of a problem to bring it up to date.
All the best."--Forum member "Hamrag8"
----
I guess that worked for him.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite L855
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    6Gb
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Try Disabling the startup items one at a time until it stops. If you unload one module, and it has no effect, remember to turn it back on. Those Toshiba apps may be the culprit. But just to make sure go through all of them and see which one stops it.

Since it is intermittent, I'm guessing that when the app goes live it affects the view, so check on services that have a delayed start.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
You can also try Windows 8 Manager by Yamicsoft - It has a 15 day trial. There is a setting in "Repair" that rebuilds the iCon cache, and you may want to increase the size of it. Also, there is a utility in there that fixes icons for special folders.

repicons1.pngrepicons2.png

See if one of these or both fix it for you. The Icon Cache may be getting filled up thus now showing the icons.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Ok. I will see how much I can subject myself to before a reset to see what that does. Thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite L855
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    6Gb
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I've taken the time to go through more posts elsewhere. Forgive me as my brain is like oatmeal trying to decipher what is a clearly different problem even though, say the control panel is also empty. Also, some people claim a solution, but not always how they arrived at it. Again, everything as a grain of salt until... Also, explanations are not always detailed to make absolute comparisons.

What seems to be constant is users do not find errors using sfc or the like or find viruses. Of course, this doesn't necessarily make it a fact.

So, some sites (not of 8, but 7) with very similar issues (if not the same--not always detailed enough in description):
My Computer empty and stuck searching,Control panel also empty, --no resolution in this thread.

[WIN7] Control Panel is empty - Microsoft Help | DSLReports Forums (Page 2) --a resolution that is not clear. The problem is only somewhat similar in the description.

No icons in control panel (No errors but totally empty) --no specific resolution

No icons in control panel (No errors but totally empty) --no resolution. Details lacking.

My Control Panel is empty? (x64) --no resolution. Details may differ.

Control Panel Empty, My Computer in Explorer shows nothing - Windows 7 Help Forums --no resolution.

Solved Windows Explorer - Control Panel and Computer windows empty on opening - Windows 7 Help Forums -- Resolution but I question it. Could it be this simple? It doesn't fit with some attempted fixes others have employed and having no luck. Again, this is Win7. Doesn't explain how the poster arrived at the "solution" if accurate. This may be specific to that individual. He claims it was fixed after creating a new user account, and then that the actual problem was a corrupt (in his case) desktop icon, which after deleting icons, everything was ok. That is in the final post.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite L855
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    6Gb
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Try Disabling the startup items one at a time until it stops. If you unload one module, and it has no effect, remember to turn it back on. Those Toshiba apps may be the culprit. But just to make sure go through all of them and see which one stops it.

Since it is intermittent, I'm guessing that when the app goes live it affects the view, so check on services that have a delayed start.

Anything is possible, but others with the problem are not using Toshiba systems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite L855
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    6Gb
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
OK CPWin8, I think I solved my problem : at least, the bug didn't appear in the last hours, but I need to go further in order to be absolutely positive.

In my case, the problem seems to appear after the installation of Acronis True Image 2013 which I use when I do fresh installations of Windows. Since I removed it, the system seems to work very fine... I'll confirm you later in the day, but is there any chance you're using also this software?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
It may have been part of his Toshiba package.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Ok, read his solution:

Actual solution
Turns out, the problem was related to a corrupt desktop icon. After deletion of all desktop icons, the problem was solved.

- Which brings me back to Yamicsoft Windows 8 Manager - You can download it from their website, install it and run the trial.

Get into the Icon Repair tools I posted, run them, and let me know if it fixes it for you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I've never heard of Acronis True Image 2013. I hope you get yours resolved Libraemy.
Ok. I might try it later--when later is I don't know (icon "fix"). I've been busy since my last post on other things. Thanks XweAponX. Thanks Libremy. I'm not planning to do a reset yet, partially because don't know what is going on the holiday long weekend.

Remember, as with some others, my problem is intermittent. It may not occur if the computer is on a short bit just looking online or whatever. I, like another, don't know how to force the error. This was explained in my other posts.

Thanks guys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite L855
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    6Gb
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
The Intermittent aspect of your problem is what has me boggled, and now that I know you have a toshiba I'll bet it is one of the programs that came with the computer, the Toshiba Programs. Try the Fix in the Windows Manager program, I'm sure you can do the same fixes other ways, but Yamicsoft Windows Manager has them all on one easily found place, it's a good program, I use it a lot. And I'll bet if you increase your Icon Cache, this problem may stop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
CPWIN8

Im trying to duplicate your problem with no success, I may need to reboot for it to take effect..

This is what ive found as far as a similar issue, please check to see if this exists in your setup, meanwhile I am continuing to try to get my control panel to not show icons.

My control panel is blank [Solved]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    MS Intellipoint 5 button (love it!)
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
    Avast Free & Malwarebytes
Thanks, Brooklyn567. I don't know that anyone wants to duplicate it! On the other note, I've already tried things related to that web page. There's been lots of searching and nothing "WOW, that's it!" has popped up. There is one solution (may or may not be) on page 3 in a list I made of links. I will work on that when I get a chance (regarding icons). Again, the intermittent nature makes me have to wait for it to appear. I can't force it (don't know how). This complicates applying the possible "solutions" if one wants to know the eureka moment precisely, if I ever get there. Sometimes it takes a while to appear. Very confusing.

I don't doubt your knowledge but I know for sure that those same Toshiba items having been running from day one.

I'll do my best to figure it out but after this next weekend, I will probably result to the "nuclear option" to see if that helps. I've also said that from the beginning as to not lead anyone on into working too much on this for me. I do appreciate the help and will try to address the options already noted. It was one thing when scanning--you get an error/threat or not--in my case not. Other options have to be tried and then I have to wait an indeterminate amount of time to see if it helped.:doh:

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite L855
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    6Gb
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Downloaded the Yamicsoft Windows 8 Manager. Can't get to that right now. Just thought I'd add another oddity. Another person (don't remember where I read it now and don't have time to look) said in a forum that when his windows (My Docs, My computer, Control Panel etc...) had icon problems, and he opened a second "File Explorer," the second showed icons correctly. Somehow I just remembered that--I've been reading a lot on this and my problem is intermittent. I just thought of it before when it happened. So, my windows (My Docs, etc.,Control Panel) were missing the icons as told before (see pics in post 1). I opened File Explorer and it was not showing the proper icons (as other times)--posted a pic below to make my point again. Then, like this other person, I opened another File Explorer (I right-clicked the File Explorer on the task bar, clicked "File Explorer" to open another one.), and like that person, the second one appears correctly (both are now on screen--one good (icons correct), one bad (just empty sheet with corner folded down--see pic)). I then close the one bad File Explorer. I open other windows (Computer, Docs) and Control Panel, and the icons are back to normal! So, this is the case with both me and this other person. Crazy. This is not a solution, just another odd effect. It has shown it can return.

--File Explorer: Incorrect and Correct pics

Attachments

• empty library.jpg
    empty library.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 96
  • file exp correct 8forums.jpg
    file exp correct 8forums.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite L855
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    6Gb
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Another person (don't remember where I read it now and don't have time to look) said in a forum that when his windows (My Docs, My computer, Control Panel etc...) had icon problems, and he opened a second "File Explorer," the second showed icons correctly.

This was me (look page 2).

Indeed, the problem is intermitent, that's why I didn't want to confirm too early that it was solved. But after one day of intense use, I can be almost positive: the Acronis application was making this problem on my laptop. Somehow, even if you don't use this software, it must have create the same bug that you encounter. Unfortunately, I have no idea of which changes this software is doing exactly...

One thing is sure, I had the exact same problem and this change solved it!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Another person (don't remember where I read it now and don't have time to look) said in a forum that when his windows (My Docs, My computer, Control Panel etc...) had icon problems, and he opened a second "File Explorer," the second showed icons correctly.

This was me (look page 2).

Haha! Thanks, Libraemy. I've been reading so much. Proof my brains are now scrambled! I'm not only searching the internet in general, but have posts on multiple forums, the others "official" to the products. Obviously, no "solution" elsewhere, only a response to asking about the icon cache noted here in an earlier post. That person, as previously noted, thinks it could be related to the icon cache. That is why I posted previously where there are command prompt lines related to that.

You also noted, "Actually I read on a french forum a guy who had the same problem and apparently solved this issue by removing a corrupted file on his drive (The explorer might crash when it creates its thumbnail or something like that)."
I hope I'm on the right track.

I was "lucky" you came along because of your details and pictures.

Well, just checking in. I hope to figure something before I do the PC "Reset."

Thanks again.
-------------------------
Eventually, I'll get to the Windows 8 Manager.

Let's remember, whatever it is, it survived the PC "refresh." (noted in post 1)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite L855
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    6Gb
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Ok. I've used Windows 8 Manager to: Restore icons of a special folder, rebuild the icon cache, increase the icon cache size a bit, and fix icon thumbnails (no pic below). Note: I did all of them at once because the problem is intermittent and each time I'd have to wait a completely unknown length of time for the problem to occur. One at a time might have been best for analysis, but it is unrealistic today.

Now we'll see what happens.:sick: I hope doing this didn't hurt anything. I don't know when I'll have an answer.

Pics below:

Attachments

• icons special folder were fixed.jpg
    icons special folder were fixed.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 110
  • icon cache rebuilt.jpg
    icon cache rebuilt.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 104
  • new icon cache size.jpg
    new icon cache size.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 107

My Computer