Why Windows 8 isn't the monster hybrid some tout it as...

Heck, maybe they should invent environment sensitive wrist and ankle bracelets. That way users can have all the fun of doing the Mexican Hat dance while they administer to their computer. I mean... think about it!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
yes Coke, but a pen with a laser in it; otherwise your arms still get tired. You probably end up with one strong arm and one the opposite. Hahaha.

Maybe in 20 years eye contact with the screen is enough. you get contact...screen reacts and you blink and that's it.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
Please don't underestimate touch, for it's here and will continue to advance in the future. Would you agree that it is the fastest way to navigate? Faster than a mouse, stylus, etc.?
Touch is fine, I use it on my phone. I still prefer a physical keyboard on my phone for typing though, I'll be honest.

I would not agree that it's the fastest way to navigate. Not in it's current implementation. Take this forum for example and this thread, to get to page 7 or 8, there is a very small link that I have to select to hit this page. Now, with my mouse/trackball/touchpad it's a piece of cake. Using my finger on my tablet or phone...it's a crapshoot as to whether I will hit it or not. Take any application that has a dropdown list box, and try to select not only the arrow to fly out the box, but the selection that you want in the box. And don't get me started on hover over mouse flyouts on websites. Those are hard enough with a mouse, let alone a touch interface.

OK, Parks. I see your problem. Come over to my work shop. I have a few tools that I can sharpen your finger with!!?? :p

All kidding aside, now we have a scenario that traditional software has not advanced to meet demands of touch. Within the "Metro" (Did they come up with another damn name yet?) UI all links (<- Is this the correct Terminology? - refers to HTML) are larger for touch navigation. e.g. -> Metro tiles and all links within those apps.

So, eventually we may see this developing as more and more software is written in/for this interface.

I live a sheltered life. I don't have a touch device other than my Droid2. It's a real B to navigate an internet page with it. What's it like on a padd?

BTW, I have to turn my Droid sideways to type on the screen keyboard. I have these wide, muscular builder hands and fingers. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Heck, maybe they should invent environment sensitive wrist and ankle bracelets. That way users can have all the fun of doing the Mexican Hat dance while they administer to their computer. I mean... think about it!

LOL! :sarc: You get an A+ for sarcasm! :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I am just saying.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Please don't underestimate touch, for it's here and will continue to advance in the future. Would you agree that it is the fastest way to navigate? Faster than a mouse, stylus, etc.?
Touch is fine, I use it on my phone. I still prefer a physical keyboard on my phone for typing though, I'll be honest.

I would not agree that it's the fastest way to navigate. Not in it's current implementation. Take this forum for example and this thread, to get to page 7 or 8, there is a very small link that I have to select to hit this page. Now, with my mouse/trackball/touchpad it's a piece of cake. Using my finger on my tablet or phone...it's a crapshoot as to whether I will hit it or not. Take any application that has a dropdown list box, and try to select not only the arrow to fly out the box, but the selection that you want in the box. And don't get me started on hover over mouse flyouts on websites. Those are hard enough with a mouse, let alone a touch interface.

I hate doing that with my phone too, way too much zooming. But that's what I mean by a stylus/digital pen can work, it adds the precision needed. UIs in the past few decades about have been designed primarily for mouse input. Just look at here forums, one needs a mouse to properly navigate. And as UI design shifted from being keyboard based like with DOS, mouse based from GUI onward, there will be a new UI design for touch. I think Microsoft is dubbing that as NUI, or New User Interface. A stylus/digital pen in the meantime will be more of a stopgap until UI design is touch centric.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

OK, Parks. I see your problem. Come over to my work shop. I have a few tools that I can sharpen your finger with!!?? :p

All kidding aside, now we have a scenario that traditional software has not advanced to meet demands of touch. Within the "Metro" (Did they come up with another damn name yet?) UI all links (<- Is this the correct Terminology? - refers to HTML) are larger for touch navigation. e.g. -> Metro tiles and all links within those apps.

So, eventually we may see this developing as more and more software is written in/for this interface.

I live a sheltered life. I don't have a touch device other than my Droid2. It's a real B to navigate an internet page with it. What's it like on a padd?

BTW, I have to turn my Droid sideways to type on the screen keyboard. I have these wide, muscular builder hands and fingers. :(

Internet on a phablet is like on a smartphone, but with less zooming in to hit a target.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I still wish they did a better integration of metro or execution of it. While there are some appealing aspects such as the simplicity other things such as the flatness bother me visually and in usage. I will never understand why they couldn't have come up with a visually exciting or better developed "hidden start button". While the zune software and even some parts of office 2013 look nice the windows in windows 8 are just awkward. 1 boxed button in red highlighted and it's looking too rectangular. The scrollbar is hideous while I am okay with the zune software one and prefer the office 2013 one the windows 8 grey bar with up and down buttons is ugly. Why don't they understand there is too much space on the top and bottom of the arrow buttons plus those buttons and the arrow look weird. I don't know I just think on the desktop they went overboard with the metro. It's not a happy marriage the super flat against the graphic icons(that will never change as no company is going to flatten their icons just for windows) I just wish they implemented the metro better. While it's not a monster of a hybrid it sure isn't pretty. Even now it's weird to consider the desktop an app when I do all my work on desktop.

My Computer

Coke Robot; Internet on a phablet is like on a smartphone, but with less zooming in to hit a target.

Phablet <- I like that portmanteau! Where do you come up with that stuff?!! It's like your "guts menu". Perfect! :D I would go for a pocket-sized phablet!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
As long as you don't buy a craplet by accident.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Recently went over to the dark side and picked up a Mac Mini on Craigslist. For this I beg forgiveness from the forum, lol!

Me thinks one thing the Mac has Windows PCs right now is the track pad. It really works slick. Apple has brought the touch experience from the iPad over to the Mac desktop. It really is better than any mouse I've used on Windows, including the MS touch mouse. I use it with a 32" monitor well out of arms (and legs) reach while sitting in my easy chair.

You CAN have the touch experience wo/ a touch screen. MS is following Apple's lead by releasing their own touch pads for desktop use. I don't have RTM yet, but MS has said there will be additions to the gestures w/ RTM. This includes the touch mouse which I currently use on Windows 7.

Bottom line: don't limit touch on the desktop to touch screens...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" touch screen w/ digitizer & Asus 27" external monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 Touchpad & Microsoft Touch Mouse
As long as you don't buy a craplet by accident.

I like that portmanteau as well. There is a lot of craplet out there! I won't mention the iThing and a few others. Did I say that?!! :eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling