Where is Windows heading?

An interesting comment from Microsoft at the end of an Australian Parliamentary enquiry into software/hardware pricing:

Microsoft: If our prices were unfair, people wouldn’t buy them

The last cab off the rank was Microsoft, fronted by Australian managing director Pip Marlow.

Marlow acknowledged that the company had not polled Australian customers about the fairness of its local pricing, but went on to argue that different markets require different prices and the sales figures speak for themselves:

We don’t set a global price for our products. We don’t believe that every market is the same. Emerging markets where the cost of living and the availability of technology is different has to be priced differently. At the end of the day, if we make a price too high in a particular market, customers will look elsewhere.​

The Committee then confronted Marlow with a pricing sample of 47 Microsoft products, of which nearly 66 per cent are more expensive in Australia than the US.

Again, Marlow cited Microsoft’s sales success in the country, claiming “if they don’t like it, they vote with their wallets”. Under repeated questioning, Marlow all but dismissed the main thrust of the inquiry, claiming: “You’re looking for one simple silver bullet. There isn’t one.”

The Committee then rattled off some Microsoft price comparisons between US and Australia. When lumped together, the evidence is pretty sobering:

◾Windows 7 Professional (US: $326, AU: $469)
◾Office 2010 (US: $356, AU: $499)
◾Word 2010 (US: $142, AU: $189)
◾Visio Pro (US: $570, AU: $900)
◾Visual Studio 2012 with MSDN membership (US: $12,000, AU: $21,000)​

As the questions drew to a close, Marlow claimed that the company would “consider” using different pricing strategies as the company moves deeper into the cloud.

IT Pricing Inquiry: A Recap Of Excuses | Lifehacker Australia

How much deeper into the cloud does Microsoft intend to go?

Originally Posted by Coke Robot

If you ask me, I've been wondering why an operating system developed for desktop PCs was then put onto the laptop.
Coke, this is not a good question. I think you are smart enough to find the answer yourself.

What's wrong with the desktop on a laptop?
I like it. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I do not mind windows 8 at all. Sure it is different but just like anything new it takes so getting used to. I think they have done an okay job with Windows 8. Especially for a first run. Things will get better and easier as we go. I also like how they kept it so you could go to the desktop if needed or wanted to. I think that they should make it so you can either have your PC start up in desktop mode or on the start screen. I think that people will get used to this new Windows 8 especially younger people. They will grow up with this version of Windows so to them they won't even know the difference. I think this is a huge problem for most people. they have been used to the desktop version of windows their entire life. So when they get to this new start up screen they have no idea what they are doing or how to do what they want to. This can be very frustrating at times. But I think MS at least has the right idea. I mean sure a lot of changes could be made and I'm sure they will be. But eventually using this new version of windows will be no different or any more difficult then all the versions of windows before.

Ones of my biggest reasons for thinking this new change to Windows is a good idea is because of how everything is touch screen now. I mean in the old version of windows it is not all that easy to use a touch screen to open up all those folders and files in the old start menu. I mean most of the words were pretty small. I think this is at least a step in the right direction and as we keep giving our input and idea I am sure MS will consider and change a lot of things to make Windows work for most everyone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    NP540U3C-A01UB
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 1701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(S)
    Motherboard
    Samsung
    Memory
    DDR3 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
Originally Posted by Coke Robot

If you ask me, I've been wondering why an operating system developed for desktop PCs was then put onto the laptop.
Coke, this is not a good question. I think you are smart enough to find the answer yourself.

I think Coke is just pulling our leg. In the context of the discussion we are not referring to the desktop box sitting under your desk but to the operation from the dektop screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

I think Coke is just pulling our leg. In the context of the discussion we are not referring to the desktop box sitting under your desk but to the operation from the dektop screen.

Ha ha, as long as we don't need to TOUCH THE SCREEN or gather 18 million dollars by the end of the weekend.
:roflmao:
That reminds me of a good clip.

Happy Easter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Coke said:
Whs said:
A Laptop PC is exactely the same thing as a Desktop PC except that the keyboard is atached to the monitor.
Chiumiento: That Micrososft takes good decisions doesn't mean they must make bad decisons on other things. IMO everybody would be happy if they could take only good decisions and not bad ones, or correct the bad ones once they they appear to be bad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
One of the biggest reasons for 8 with the new interface is to be able to use it across multiple devices in conjunction with Windows phone 8. This will make it easier for the 90% that don't know and could care less how computers, devices, or phones work. It will become familiar and simple to use no matter what device one uses.

Another good reason is to sync Start Screen, apps, some settings, Favorites, files, and other things automatically. One doesn't have to waste precious time transferring. We all have a certain amount of time on this planet, so time is a precious commodity. One realizes this as the older one gets. Personally I'd rather spend my time with loved ones or making money at what I do best.

I look at the Start Screen as the combination of the Start Menu and the Desktop with gadgets. "Windows of the internet" so to speak. A launching platform with at-a-glance personal info. It is streamlined to boot quick using less resources. One sees all this personal info quickly so as to decide what to perform first, second, etc. Again, time saving. All Apps included.

The Start Screen is also a larger platform for launching using touch. Scaled more to the human finger. 8 was written for touch centricity, but works well with other input peripherals.

It also adds Modern/Metro Store apps. Personally I use and like many. I find them rather handy. There's nothing wrong with MS diversifying to gain more profit. Perfectly moral in capitalism.

I think too many of us on this forum look at things through our "technology-knowledgeable eyes" so as to be prejudice. We are but a minute minority that use devices. We must include the greater majority. They have needs and desires also.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Good objective. But there is 1 problem - there are hardly any Windows mobile users. That market is in firm hands by Android and iOS.

In the meantime a billion desktop users are frustrated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Maybe Microsoft's 'Cunning Plan' is to create cognitive dissonance with Windows users, such that they keep having to use a Windows mobile phone interface on their PCs and they'll subconsciously start wanting to own a Windows phone. A kind of subliminal advertising.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Good objective. But there is 1 problem - there are hardly any Windows mobile users. That market is in firm hands by Android and iOS.

In the meantime a billion desktop users are frustrated.

"Hardly any mobile users" is another good reason for the change in order to gain more costumers within that market. That's exactly what the Surfaces and other OEM mobile devices are targeting.

Once this concept of multiple devices is understand, MS and OEMs stand to make mucho denaro. Admittedly it is a big change, so it'll take some time.

"A billion frustrated desktop users" is a wee bit exaggerated is it not? Would you please reference your findings?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
"A billion frustrated desktop users" is a wee bit exaggerated is it not? Would you please reference your findings?
It's a way of saying. I have not counted the frustrated part, but as we know by now, it does not go over well. Else the figures would look a lot better.

MS and OEMs stand to make mucho denaro
As we know by now, a few prominent OEMs have already scrapped their Windows 8 support plans.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Here is a little sequence of postings that I just collected from another geek forum

I got XP, Vista, and W7 machines running. Not giving any of them up until nothing works anymore
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ya, I'm just wasting SSDs with Windows 8 cause I never use it and lack knowledge about it.
Am going to re-image the Windows 8 SSD Arrays back to Windows 7.
------------------------------------------------------------
I'm all for new technology but, I pass on W8
Windows 8 is basically made for an Entertainment Touch Tablet Device.
If one needs to use Windows 8 Desktop Feature, then might as well use Real Desktop in Windows 7.
yep. A toy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
One of the biggest reasons for 8 with the new interface is to be able to use it across multiple devices in conjunction with Windows phone 8. This will make it easier for the 90% that don't know and could care less how computers, devices, or phones work. It will become familiar and simple to use no matter what device one uses.

Another good reason is to sync Start Screen, apps, some settings, Favorites, files, and other things automatically. One doesn't have to waste precious time transferring. We all have a certain amount of time on this planet, so time is a precious commodity. One realizes this as the older one gets. Personally I'd rather spend my time with loved ones or making money at what I do best.

I look at the Start Screen as the combination of the Start Menu and the Desktop with gadgets. "Windows of the internet" so to speak. A launching platform with at-a-glance personal info. It is streamlined to boot quick using less resources. One sees all this personal info quickly so as to decide what to perform first, second, etc. Again, time saving. All Apps included.

The Start Screen is also a larger platform for launching using touch. Scaled more to the human finger. 8 was written for touch centricity, but works well with other input peripherals.

It also adds Modern/Metro Store apps. Personally I use and like many. I find them rather handy. There's nothing wrong with MS diversifying to gain more profit. Perfectly moral in capitalism.

I think too many of us on this forum look at things through our "technology-knowledgeable eyes" so as to be prejudice. We are but a minute minority that use devices. We must include the greater majority. They have needs and desires also.

Said well this is pretty much what I was trying to say. But said much more precisely and just all around better. Man I gotta start doing this more often.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    NP540U3C-A01UB
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 1701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(S)
    Motherboard
    Samsung
    Memory
    DDR3 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
The competition just keeps increasing:

Last month, Samsung said it was working with Bhatia’s employer Genband, a large vendor selling unified communications software that lets companies carry voice calls, video, and IMs through internal Internet protocol networks on different devices. Genband will start by offering its software on Samsung tablets. If Samsung can make it simple to take company calls on its tablets, Wagner reasons, then businesses may be more likely to buy them—especially because tablets serve far more functions than hardware dedicated only to calling.

Bhatia expects office PCs will go by the wayside further down the line—especially as companies use software on remote cloud servers. New possibilities could open up, such as a work communications system that knows where an employee is and rings different devices accordingly.

Samsung won’t break out sales figures to businesses, but Wagner notes that the company did hit the 100 million mark for Samsung Galaxy S-series smartphones sold worldwide. With many people using their own devices at work, that may matter way more than anything else.

“In the world of phones, you have to win in the consumer market to win in the business market,” says Forrester’s Schadler.

Interesting thoughts.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.

During this protest over ten million Chinese in nation wide China protested against the Chinese Government. Now this isn't about the social up raising, but the numbers. Yes ten million people is really a great deal of human bodies, however, when you have 1.3 billion (approximately at that time) then 10 million is less than 1% of the population, so do you really think the government could really care what they had to say; no.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
[B said:
Chiumiento[/B]: That Micrososft takes good decisions doesn't mean they must make bad decisons on other things. IMO everybody would be happy if they could take only good decisions and not bad ones, or correct the bad ones once they they appear to be bad.

I think they will be changing Windows 8 a lot. But it is not something that is going to happen over night. I mean look how long it took them to get to Windows 7. I know we are in a lot more tech savvy era now. But it is still going to take people complaining and finding the not so good things in Windows 8. I think it is going to take at least a year before Windows 8 is even close to being really good and easy to use. But like I said before I think for a fresh brand new OS that the public has never seen or experienced much with at all. They have a done a good job.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    NP540U3C-A01UB
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Samsung
    Memory
    DDR3 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

Hi there
I really wish people could UNDERSTAND the statistics they are posting.

A simple explanation is that some of these XP installations are on some ancient or even more really antiquated hardware running legacy devices and applications -- more recent equipment may already have been updated to W7.

For example some types of measuring devices used in various laboratories, or Gas emission measurement hardware monitoring volcanoes, spectral analysis gear and so on --often highly specialized devices which are usually extremely expensive to replace / upgrade and these devices can be usefully deployed for 50 years or even longer.

These old systems will just work until they are no longer required so of course I'd expect the decline in XP usage to start slowing as some of these will NEVER be upgraded but trashed when they no longer function.
Simple explanation.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Jimbo, that's a good point but I doubt that hardware monitoring volcanoes and alike make up one third of the OS market. There are certainly a lot of commercial users that are stuck with their program and hardware inventory, but there are probably also a lot that don't want to change because the change would cost them a lot of money in hardware, software and education.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back