Where is Windows heading?

An interesting comment from Microsoft at the end of an Australian Parliamentary enquiry into software/hardware pricing:

Microsoft: If our prices were unfair, people wouldn’t buy them

The last cab off the rank was Microsoft, fronted by Australian managing director Pip Marlow.

Marlow acknowledged that the company had not polled Australian customers about the fairness of its local pricing, but went on to argue that different markets require different prices and the sales figures speak for themselves:

We don’t set a global price for our products. We don’t believe that every market is the same. Emerging markets where the cost of living and the availability of technology is different has to be priced differently. At the end of the day, if we make a price too high in a particular market, customers will look elsewhere.​

The Committee then confronted Marlow with a pricing sample of 47 Microsoft products, of which nearly 66 per cent are more expensive in Australia than the US.

Again, Marlow cited Microsoft’s sales success in the country, claiming “if they don’t like it, they vote with their wallets”. Under repeated questioning, Marlow all but dismissed the main thrust of the inquiry, claiming: “You’re looking for one simple silver bullet. There isn’t one.”

The Committee then rattled off some Microsoft price comparisons between US and Australia. When lumped together, the evidence is pretty sobering:

◾Windows 7 Professional (US: $326, AU: $469)
◾Office 2010 (US: $356, AU: $499)
◾Word 2010 (US: $142, AU: $189)
◾Visio Pro (US: $570, AU: $900)
◾Visual Studio 2012 with MSDN membership (US: $12,000, AU: $21,000)​

As the questions drew to a close, Marlow claimed that the company would “consider” using different pricing strategies as the company moves deeper into the cloud.

IT Pricing Inquiry: A Recap Of Excuses | Lifehacker Australia

How much deeper into the cloud does Microsoft intend to go?

I'm using GIMP to replace PS, it's free, does some pretty neat stuff.

I've used GIMP for ~5 years.

Overall GIMP does what I need and IMO it's easier to use than Photoshop.
Some of the Photoshop tools are better though.

I think GIMP has a better GUI than Photoshop.
I particularly hate the Toolbox in Adobe products.

My Internet data is 200GB per month at 118Mbs download, I can download 2GB in about 5 minutes or less on a good day.

Nice.

We got 200GB/month too, but we only get a maximum speed of ~6Mbs (too far from the exchange). :(

Hi there
One thing the GIMP doesn't do (or used not to do) was handle LAYERS at all. I'm always using this feature in photoshop so I'd really miss this.

BTW I've posted previously that Adobe has considered Photoshop CS2 as "Abandonware" --It's posted serial numbers (generic) of all the CS2 suite on its website and de-activated the license / activation servers. Unless you need the new features of Photoshop such as 3-D and a few new effects CS2 is a perfectly great learning tool (also has all the layers and adjustments most users would want).

Grab it quick as I don't know how long this will stay publically available.

www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/

Incidentally -- these other OS'es are fine if you want a conventional desktop -- I quite LIKE exploring the new options though.

I haven't actually found ANYTHING I can't do on W8 that I couldn't do on W7 (apart from play Minidiscs - which I can do in an XP VM anyway) -- okay I might need to change the workflow a bit but I haven't found the OS such a pain that it would be impossible to use it on typical Non Touch laptops..

Of course everybody is different and YMMV as always.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Probably won't do anything. The problem I see blocking any resolution for Linux is the FACT that on a new PC, there is a sticker that certifies as a WINDOWS 8 PC. Not a Linux PC. There isn't territory, domain, or monetary control that Linux has on that. This is just the same as not being able to install android on an ipad. apple controls the ipad and ios, and will never allow android to be installed on it, even though android is open sourced and whatnot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

Probably won't do anything. The problem I see blocking any resolution for Linux is the FACT that on a new PC, there is a sticker that certifies as a WINDOWS 8 PC. Not a Linux PC. There isn't territory, domain, or monetary control that Linux has on that. This is just the same as not being able to install android on an ipad. apple controls the ipad and ios, and will never allow android to be installed on it, even though android is open sourced and whatnot.

The EU may get them on a monopoly charge. But that is a long shot. The Linux people would have to go after the PC manufacturers so that they ship PCs without Windows 8 or even with Linux. There are some Ubuntu PCs, but they are far and apart. I would prefer if they shipped them with Mint.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
They might succed with that. It is anti competitive. It makes it very difficult to run an alternative product.

You may recall MS lost the High Court case where they wanted to tie oem software to a particular pc.

However, since efi is very insecure without secure boot, MS may argue they have to do it.

The result might be that MS is forced to ensure oem's provide an easy and obvious way of turning it off , and /or they provide keys in a reasonable time at no cost .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I can see where this can lead to a much bigger question - unbundeling the PC hardware from the Operationg System. I am anyhow amazed that the EU (and the US authorities) sit still with a monopolist in their backyard that controls over 80% of the PC market. After all, that is vital to today's economy. You don't want that to be decided in the backrooms of Redmond.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Interesting question.

The way MS are going now does raise all kinds of issues. In an extreme scenario, they may get broken up.

I see they are trying to second guess the regulators.

Example:

You will notice the bit where they exhort you to get a MS account when you are setting up installation.

It is possible to say no - ( it is small and at the bottom ) - if you say no - they ask again.

Very obvious what they want you to do.

Why is there even an option to say No - if they don't want you to?

Clearly, it is there to avoid an uproar and so the regulators don't tear them apart.

It doesn't matter much - most users will just do what MS is exhorting them to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

The EU may get them on a monopoly charge. But that is a long shot. The Linux people would have to go after the PC manufacturers so that they ship PCs without Windows 8 or even with Linux. There are some Ubuntu PCs, but they are far and apart. I would prefer if they shipped them with Mint.
Maybe, as the EU has been going against Microsoft on some things recently. But exactly correct, the Linux people need to be going after the PC makers as they're just complying with Windows' new standards from Microsoft, Microsoft isn't demanding that ALL of them HAVE to do this or else. It's more like they need to do this to keep up with new standards. If those makers don't like that, they can make and sell android or Ubuntu PCs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
:ditto:
That's all good, Bill, I wasn't knocking your choices, or anyone else's, just putting mine forward.

As for the cloud, I don't mind it for email etc, but I don't feel at all comfortable storing stuff there.

Companies go broke or start data-mining, terrorists attack, equipment fails, hackers breach
security, and of course, last but by no means least, there's always our oh-so-trustworthy (NOT!)
governments and not-always-ethical 'law enforcement' agencies. I also have a very limited internet
access plan, which precludes streaming, and isn't always useable (I don't regard 64kb/sec as
'useable', sadly my ISP does).

I've nothing to hide, but equally I've nothing I want to share without my explicit authorisation. That
can only be made easier if I retain both physical and digital possession of the data/files.

But, to each his/her own. Cheers!

Wenda.
:ditto::dinesh::thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
GIMP Layers

One thing the GIMP doesn't do (or used not to do) was handle LAYERS at all. I'm always using this feature in photoshop so I'd really miss this.

That must have been a long time ago.
Every version I've used handles layers.

GIMP Layers.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

Maybe, as the EU has been going against Microsoft on some things recently. But exactly correct, the Linux people need to be going after the PC makers as they're just complying with Windows' new standards from Microsoft, Microsoft isn't demanding that ALL of them HAVE to do this or else. It's more like they need to do this to keep up with new standards. If those makers don't like that, they can make and sell android or Ubuntu PCs.

This story may clear up some issues about going after the PC makers.

Spanish Linux user group files European antitrust complaint against Microsoft | The Industry Standard - InfoWorld

Microsoft requires the UEFI Secure Boot to be installed by manufacturers on PCs that run Windows 8. While this protects PCs against malware and the installation of other unwanted software, it also makes it harder for users to install Linux-based operating systems on Windows 8 PCs. This practice is viewed as anticompetitive behavior by some critics, who have accused Microsoft of using the UEFI requirement to try to lock out other operating systems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

Spanish Linux user group files European antitrust complaint against Microsoft | The Industry Standard - InfoWorld

Microsoft requires the UEFI Secure Boot to be installed by manufacturers on PCs that run Windows 8. While this protects PCs against malware and the installation of other unwanted software, it also makes it harder for users to install Linux-based operating systems on Windows 8 PCs. This practice is viewed as anticompetitive behavior by some critics, who have accused Microsoft of using the UEFI requirement to try to lock out other operating systems.

This only effects OEM machines.. right? Where you have a pre-installed version of Windows? It makes sense on like.. the Surface Pro.. as its a specific Microsoft build.

But what Linux user in their right mind would get caught dead buying a pre-built? If you're smart enough to use Linux, you should be smart enough to have built your own system lol. Its just like screws and making sure to plug the right cables into the right connectors(of which most are unique and hard to get wrong).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile

This only effects OEM machines.. right? Where you have a pre-installed version of Windows? It makes sense on like.. the Surface Pro.. as its a specific Microsoft build.

But what Linux user in their right mind would get caught dead buying a pre-built? If you're smart enough to use Linux, you should be smart enough to have built your own system lol. Its just like screws and making sure to plug the right cables into the right connectors(of which most are unique and hard to get wrong).
I would imagine this is for those mobile PCs like the Surface Pro and such to install Linux on. Or other OEM laptops that need to be bought as it's pretty difficult to build one yourself.

But I have to ask, what makes installing Linux that difficult? Can't it be installed once Secure Boot and other Windows 8 UEFI BIOS requirements are shut off? Seriously, it was difficult to get Windows 8 reinstalled on a new Windows PC, but didn't strike me as such that Linux wouldn't be able to run with that. Disable those requirements, you're back to standard BIOS usually.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
But I have to ask, what makes installing Linux that difficult? Can't it be installed once Secure Boot and other Windows 8 UEFI BIOS requirements are shut off? Seriously, it was difficult to get Windows 8 reinstalled on a new Windows PC, but didn't strike me as such that Linux wouldn't be able to run with that. Disable those requirements, you're back to standard BIOS usually.

There has already been one OEM that the way of turning off secure boot very hard, no info on how to do it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Did you ever build a laptop,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

That must have been a long time ago.
Every version I've used handles layers.

And GIMP flies fast!

I usually use tens of layers and all works in GIMP.
For example all cursors and animations I made here,
http://www.eightforums.com/customization/9827-custom-cursors-3.html#post213735
are made in GIMP with many layers (20-30) before finalizing the product.

What Photoshop lacks is the ability to generate patterns (built in + automatic) and stuff like logo's...
gimp.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
And GIMP flies fast!

The earlier versions that I used, loaded slowly (still much faster than Photoshop though).
Loading the fonts seemed to "bog them down".

The last couple of versions only take ~5 seconds - 10 seconds to load (on my PC). :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
Hmm, I just checked that. My Gimp loaded in less than 2 seconds. And I have not used it since a while. So it could not have been sitting in the cache.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
SSD?

Hmm, I just checked that. My Gimp loaded in less than 2 seconds. And I have not used it since a while. So it could not have been sitting in the cache.

I assume that is from an SSD? :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info

I assume that is from an SSD? :)

It sometimes gets faster than expected and sometimes way slower.

I remember since Vista and on 7, Win8 too that it can say 'not responding' during the font loading or script-fu parts but actually the program runs fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset