What Microsoft should have done

We ear a lot of complain about Windows 8, especially the integration of the Start Page, but here what I tough will have bring more money to Microsoft:

Instead of bring a tablet OS to the Desktop, they should have bring the tablet to the desktop:

1- If you look at the Xbox SmartGlass, it allow you from a tablet or pc to control the Xbox
2- With an Android tablet you can text using your Android phone as connecting device

So why don't Microsoft is not using a tablet to :
1- run Metro Apps
2- control some apps running on the PC ( kind of Remote Desktop)

Simple; use the Tablet as a Desktop extension and do not force desktop users to use a tablet OS , I can even see someone docking the tablet on the PC to use it as touch monitor for some desktop apps ( like paint or hand writing)

1- Metro Apps on the PC ; Optional and charge for it ( xtra money here, especially since they charge only $ 40 for an upgrade)
2- Better Integration between the Tablet and the PC
3- Way more storage

If they have done this route a lot of peoples ( including me ) will purchase tablets just because it give more option to our PC and other peoples will still be able to use this tablet with Metro apps on it, no need for desktop on a tablet.

Simple, get the Start Page out of my PC, allow me to use a tablet for it, more options less hassle

I hope it's clear in my poor English

You see people posting up how they like the little squares, etc. They do not see what is going on - therefore they are easily led.

So what you are saying is that millions of users that use cloud services and download apps on their iPhones, iPads, Android tablets and phones, Windows Phones suddenly get stupid when they are mesmerized by the live tiles of Windows 8? All of a sudden they don't realize that what they are about to do is exactly the same thing they do everywhere else? Wow...some logic there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
^ Hold up mate, I don't think he was saying people get stupid when they use the cloud; he was talking about the people who are not interested in using the cloud. He is saying they are slowly being led into it, unknowingly.

I don't like being led somewhere I don't want to go. Some people don't like the cloud, including me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3820 CPU OC @ 3.80GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator 16GB Quad Channel DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia by EVGA - GeForce GTX 670 4GB
    Sound Card
    On board Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer 24" H243H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Main 500GB Hybrid Drive @ 7,200RPM
    Secondary OCZ SSD Vertex 3 Max IOPS
    PSU
    Silent Pro 1000w gold 80+
    Case
    Azza Hurrican 2000
    Cooling
    Liquid CPU cooler & fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000
    Mouse
    Tek Republic Wired Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    5ms Ping 5.15Mb/s Download .64Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Defender, Malwarebytes
I don't like being led somewhere I don't want to go. Some people don't like the cloud, including me.

I agree but one day you may be facing only the cloud option as no one will build pc anymore, IF Google and Microsoft succeed no manufacturers will be left to build the parts we need to build a PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
^ Hold up mate, I don't think he was saying people get stupid when they use the cloud; he was talking about the people who are not interested in using the cloud. He is saying they are slowly being led into it, unknowingly.

I'll break some news to you...If you ever used AOL in the day, you were in the cloud. If you do online banking, you were in the cloud. If you use Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo mail etc, you are in the cloud. If you bought any Apps on your iPhone, Android or WP, you are in the cloud. If you use debit cards or credit cards to buy anything, you're in the cloud. Cloud services are everywhere and have been for a number of years, it didn't just start with Windows 8.

It's one thing to raise valid points and concerns about "the cloud" in it's even more widening use across ALL technologies, but to consistently repeat about it as a main issue with Windows 8 and Microsoft is ignorance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
So, you're idea is to buy a separate tablet to control your desktop (or laptop) to skip over the metro Start Screen aspect of things, but put the Start Screen aspect on the separate tablet?

I don't know if that does benefit the consumer, it sounds like more benefit to OEMs than anything. I already have a Windows Phone, and I can just it as a remote control for my Windows 8 desktop PC. I don't totally get the concept, as it sounds a bit costly...

Me personally, I like having some tablet functionality on my desktop. If I can play PlayStation 2 games without having to buy a PS2 and use a free emulator, why can't my PC have the same apps as my phone or apps built better for Windows? Why can't my PC, that has gone though years of being a machine strictly for work and office purposes, to internet purposes, to multimedia management, to incredible gaming experiences, and even being used to test the limits of hardware; not even be able to run a simple app that my phone does?

I don't like having to use my four inch Windows Phone to browse a few apps that are better suited for navigation (and less adverting) in front of my desktop. I like using a large screen, a full sized keyboard, and even a touch mouse to navigate through content. And when I need to use the Desktop for some real work, it's right there! I want to take advantage of the device that I am currently using in full, and not have to outsource some tasks and content to other devices just because that's "right."

And by the way, we've been in the cloud since email. Raising concerns about the cloud storage and failing to realize that personal emails and other sensitive content has been out of your hands and reach for a LONG time now is a fairly rash thing to do if I should say so...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
LOL RobR the rude and Cokie the joker. Fine pair of advocates there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
And by the way, we've been in the cloud since email. Raising concerns about the cloud storage and failing to realize that personal emails and other sensitive content has been out of your hands and reach for a LONG time now is a fairly rash thing to do if I should say so...

Nah, you're not fully thinking about this. Who's got their own email server? Who actually wants that? The big concerns with cloud aren't related to email. It's - do I get to have my own copy of an OS or Office or any program? Am I gonna have to keep all my files on the cloud? Gee, The Cloud is down, can't do anything because all my crap is on The Cloud. What happens to your data if your cloud service is cancelled or they go out of business or you want to move to another cloud? Do you trust The Cloud People not manipulating your data? Do you trust your data is secure from non-Cloudies?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
Folk pay hundreds of dollars a month for their TV service. They pay a monthly fee for their smartphone. No reason why they can't be cajoled into doing the same for the use of the os. One way to do that is to get them to cough up for the online services they have been led into. They probably didn't know where it was headed when they started getting a few apps. doing the synchronise thing - storing stuff up there - then gradually, it is quite hard to unravel all that. So you pay. After a while , you sort of forget what it was like before - you just think it has to be like that.

It becomes uneconomic to manufacture pc parts in large numbers - software makers can't afford to keep catering to the few who still want control of their own stuff on their own pc .

Area 66
...one day you may be facing only the cloud option as no one will build pc anymore, IF Google and Microsoft succeed no manufacturers will be left to build the parts we need to build a PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Nah, you're not fully thinking about this. Who's got their own email server? Who actually wants that? The big concerns with cloud aren't related to email. It's - do I get to have my own copy of an OS or Office or any program? Am I gonna have to keep all my files on the cloud? Gee, The Cloud is down, can't do anything because all my crap is on The Cloud. What happens to your data if your cloud service is cancelled or they go out of business or you want to move to another cloud? Do you trust The Cloud People not manipulating your data? Do you trust your data is secure from non-Cloudies?

Those are legitimate concerns. But the idea of cloud computing is something still far out from now, until EVERY single household, or at least a vast majority of them, have wireless high speed internet; that just won't happen. Having to store files on a cloud server is much like store files on physical media. Do I have the latest copy of this file on my flash drive? Where is my flash drive? Someone stole my flash drive! I backed up my files onto my external drive, but it doesn't work anymore. My PC's hard drive died and everything I had was lost. Can't do crap.

It really becomes more of a question of WHO you can trust for cloud storage. I don't trust google as they've already shown that they can go through your email to advertise specifically to you. As for SkyDrive, that's yet to be seen. And as for others, could be questionable if the government stakes their claim that they own anything on cloud storage. Then again, they could claim that they own your PC....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I'm not totally against this stuff, Cokie. The idea of using the cloud as a backup I think is a great idea. But your own media = your responsibility. Leaving it up to Cloudies makes you 100% dependent on them. Not a fan of that. Thing is, with all these teenie tiny devices there's going to be a lot more Cloudies handling your stuff. I don't know what you can do to change that. Can't think of anything off the top of my head. Might be screwed. Oh well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
If you have so much problem with your data Coke, may be it's time you install something like WHS 2011, it back up twice a day your stuff, restore a PC with a HD failure is a walk in the park with WHS 2011, put a new drive, a cd and you let the server do the rest.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info

I'll break some news to you...If you ever used AOL in the day, you were in the cloud. If you do online banking, you were in the cloud. If you use Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo mail etc, you are in the cloud. If you bought any Apps on your iPhone, Android or WP, you are in the cloud. If you use debit cards or credit cards to buy anything, you're in the cloud. Cloud services are everywhere and have been for a number of years, it didn't just start with Windows 8.

It's one thing to raise valid points and concerns about "the cloud" in it's even more widening use across ALL technologies, but to consistently repeat about it as a main issue with Windows 8 and Microsoft is ignorance.
Only ever used online banking, Hotmail, and debit/credit cards, none of the others. Any fault on my bank's end, and I am reimbursed. Any criminal activity on my account, I call in and stop it, and am reimbursed. Hotmail isn't used for anything that my identity would depend upon, etc.

The point is, these services have weaknesses. People hack into banks all the time. Same with Hotmail. Why would I want more of this?

Not only that, but as was mentioned, sometimes the internet goes out. I can't do half the things I would like. If I had a cloud computer, I'm screwed. Top it off with my ISP sucks eggs, so this is frequent. Do you think adding more bandwidth-consuming people to the cloud will slow this trend? nuh-uh. It would just make my ISP have to respond to more demand. Can they meet that demand? It doesn't look like it from where I'm sitting.

If it can be helped, I would prefer not being led more into the cloud. I could care less about how it is spreading to more and more technology and I should 'get with the times', etc. I can only hope one such as you can see my points as "valid" now. Security and connectivity. What more can you want? What is the harm in keeping things local? HDDs are inexpensive and DON'T cost a monthly fee. Hell yea! My only concern is people like you pushing this cloud tech along somewhere I don't want to go.

Sorry that I didn't feel the need to post my 'reasons' before. I thought they were already out there

PS just as a cloud-based server backs up your data, so can I at home, cloudless

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3820 CPU OC @ 3.80GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator 16GB Quad Channel DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia by EVGA - GeForce GTX 670 4GB
    Sound Card
    On board Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer 24" H243H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Main 500GB Hybrid Drive @ 7,200RPM
    Secondary OCZ SSD Vertex 3 Max IOPS
    PSU
    Silent Pro 1000w gold 80+
    Case
    Azza Hurrican 2000
    Cooling
    Liquid CPU cooler & fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000
    Mouse
    Tek Republic Wired Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    5ms Ping 5.15Mb/s Download .64Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Defender, Malwarebytes
The "Cloud"

Isn't the power still out in New Jersey?
So if you live in Nevada and your "Cloud" provider is in, or managed from (let's say) New Jersey you would be SOOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Look what happen to Go Daddy in September, Anonymous claim it, but CEO said it was an Internal problem, in both case it's not acceptable, it was supposed to be 99.99% reliable, this is only 5 minutes down a year not 6 hours. If you are a home users this is not a big deal, but if you run a pharmacy and you customers files are on the cloud , you are in deep $h....t at least here in Quebec as the government pay a large part of the medicine, no files no free pills, no prescription on files, no pills

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Don't get what the fuss is about. The Desktop is practically identical to 7's. The Start screen can be avoided 99% of the time after some customization. Looking for installed applications is easy.

Just sounds like some conspiracy theorists in this thread to me. MS isn't going to get you. Even if MS gets out of hand, Linux will always be there. There is an out if you want one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
Kind of proves the point.

I fear a lot of people won't get it, even after it has been explained.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yes, Marketing. Desensitizing us to the point where we won't mind using whatever new things they decide to change in future iterations. Meh, if there's something I really dislike, I'll find a way to disable it. If there is no way, I'll switch back or use Linux. It's not a huge deal. Windows 8 performs better than 7, even without an internet connection and you just want to play games/type up documents/whatever. Apps can be completely disabled and unused 100% of the time. You can just clear that start screen up and just use the All Apps menu if it sucks so bad (or classic shell).

Yes, basic consumers won't likely do those things and just change with the times. Mind explaining how this is so horrible?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
My only concern is people like you pushing this cloud tech along somewhere I don't want to go.

Me? Pushing cloud services? LOL. If you read back you'll see that I was responding to SIW2's comment and you jumped in and responded. I wasn't pushing anything, I was just telling you that you've been using them for years. I just don't see how you're being led to using cloud services in Windows 8 just because it facilitates connecting to those services that already exist. You have the choice whether or not you want to use them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
I use Email for years, but what MS is dreaming is to rent us service; OS, Apps and Storage will be all on their Servers, they will sell or rent a Cloud terminal without the possibility for us to install anything else than their stuff, this is the CLOUD we are talking about and this is the CLOUD we don't want. They already start with the Metro apps, only available from them , and they get a 25% from it, if it get popular and they have the big share of the market they will get 30, 40 5%, they will not stop.

Just look at the new BIOS they use the BIOS to activate Windows 8 , at first MS want more, they want the company use a BIOS to not only look pirated Windows to run, but any other thing than Windows, at first they want manufacturers to remove us the possibility to install Linux, and if the manufacturers will have not install those kind of BIOS well Windows will have not be available on such PC....good thing peoples complain and MS come back , of course they was afraid of an antitrust action from the US gov.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Just look at the new BIOS they use the BIOS to activate Windows 8 , at first MS want more, they want the company use a BIOS to not only look pirated Windows to run, but any other thing than Windows, at first they want manufacturers to remove us the possibility to install Linux, and if the manufacturers will have not install those kind of BIOS well Windows will have not be available on such PC....good thing peoples complain and MS come back , of course they was afraid of an antitrust action from the US gov.

This is mostly due to the fact that the most common way to pirate Windows 7 was using a BIOS SLIC? hack that tricked Windows into thinking it was activated. That, along with Microsoft's surprisingly lenient attitude towards pirated copies of Windows 7 (mostly because as long as 7 was replacing an elder version of Windows, this must had been OK with them for the time being) that they don't want to carry out with 8. And I think the Linux issue with secure UEFI boot was solved a bit ago, I'm not sure though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back