This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a firm believer Win8 will be like Vista and Win7 will remain in use for quite a while yet.
I also agree people may read left to right but they also read top down. scrolling left to right does not make it easier. The scroll wheel was well designed to work the way people do read.

Long live Windows 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ultimate x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built.
    CPU
    i7-860 OC @ 4.214GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus III Formula
    Memory
    8GB (4x2GB) OCZ Dual-Channel DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL 8-8-8-24
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTS-250 w/1GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    On-daughterboard SupremeFX X-Fi 7.1 Surround
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VisionQuest VQL-22WSHD LCD Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 (native)
    Hard Drives
    2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 500G SATA2 HDD
    1x Western Digital Caviar SE16 750G SATA2 HDD
    PSU
    OCZ EliteXtream OCZ1000EXS 1000W ATX12V 20/24 Pin
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima XT Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Kit & Swiftech MCR320 Triple 120mm Rad
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11 gaming keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518 optical gaming mouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable DSL
    Other Info
    Visiontek TV Wonder 650 Theater PCI-E TV Tuner Card
    Logitech 9000 Pro Web Camera
    Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 game controller
    Nmedia C98 USB2.0 Flash Card Reader Black with Front USB, HD Audio, e-SATA, Firewire
    Nmedia Black Aluminum Panel 5.25IN Internal Bay with 20X2 Media Center Programmable LCD Display
    OCZ OCZUSBATV4G Atv Dual Channel Flash Memory Drive 4GB USB2.0 (dedicated ReadyBoost)
This video show how Microsoft is stupid, that will be a totally different experience if the old man have a start menu pointing to the start page.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
My son came over with his Mac laptop running the latest Mac OS - it looked beautiful and it was very intuitive. It was not a clone of their notebook system. Microsoft should not be giving us a one size fits all OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
The title of this thread is incorrect, the biggest flop ever will be the Miami Heat! ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
The video is Hilarious, but true.

There may well be a significant number of people who look elsewhere for their next system .

Apple will be looking forward to it. Steve Jobs is not around to see it, unfortunately.

If the final of Win8 is similar to this - Apple would do well to show that video as a commercial.

I have mixed feelings about this.

I am a windows user - I have invested a lot of time trying to find out a bit about it - I have invested a lot of time trying to help out on Windows Forums - I have often defended Windows ( I am in a sea of Apple users ).

It is like MS is my football team and I am an avid supporter.

I don't want the team to do anything stupid.

However - if they lose a lot of customers - it is their own fault - they deserve it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I WAS that man the first time I installed the DP, but not so much with the CP. I am the main IT support person for my family, mine as well as for my wife and her side. I shudder to think how much more time I would be having to spend with them if I were to dump Win8 onto their machines.

Win8 is going to end up being like Vista with me; I skipped it entirely.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough
HEY! HEY! Lets not start anything like this. Microsoft will beat out other competition. WE as end-users of their latest Operating System, need to suck it up, and relearn JUST like we had to do when the change over from 3.1 to 95. This is no different
than that. SURE users will need to get a grip on the Metro interface, but to me that is nothing new there. And if you REALLY need a menu like front-end, it is there, just move your mouse to the top of the metro screen, and left-click it. SEE?? There you go.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
However - if they lose a lot of customers - it is their own fault - they deserve it.

Vista was the impetus behind an entire Apple advertising campaign. Win8 will be the next one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough
HEY! HEY! Lets not start anything like this. Microsoft will beat out other competition. WE as end-users of their latest Operating System, need to suck it up, and relearn JUST like we had to do when the change over from 3.1 to 95. This is no different
than that. SURE users will need to get a grip on the Metro interface, but to me that is nothing new there. And if you REALLY need a menu like front-end, it is there, just move your mouse to the top of the metro screen, and left-click it. SEE?? There you go.

Answer one question, if you can... what was the total number of PC owners / users back in 1995 compared to now?

My point in asking this is that back in 1995, the change from Win 3.1 to 95 didn't affect a large number of users; it was probably very minimal compared to 2012. Now, 17 years later, this change is going to affect practically the entire planet. This could end up being a very massive mistake on Microsoft's part.

Of course, it could also have the reverse effect since so many people are used to how their smart phone operates and like the simplicity. On the flip side, people may not want their desktop PC to be like their phone (I'm in this group).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough
acr731 Look at it this way, convergence has always been the better solution. NOW saying IF you PC, and phone had the SAME operating system. wouldn't day to day convergence between the two be more time saving, as opposed to going from one location to another? I'll use calendar in this example. NOW you're in Los Angles, and your PC is in your office on the east coast, NOW you don't have a way to locally get in front of your PC there to look at your calendar, BUT your phone can SYNC it and you can see your calendar of events for the day. NOW wouldn't that save you a whole lot of downtime, saying if it wasn't possible in doing so?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
..... NOW you don't have a way to locally get in front of your PC there to look at your calendar, BUT your phone can SYNC it and you can see your calendar of events for the day. NOW wouldn't that save you a whole lot of downtime, saying if it wasn't possible in doing so?

Like if you need the actual Windows 8 crap metro start page in the desktop to do so.... Microsoft needs to present something friendlier for common users and more configurable for more advances users.
Why Microsoft can’t understand it will make it easier to put a start icon in the desktop to link to this start page. That’s totally unacceptable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
NOW you're in Los Angles, and your PC is in your office on the east coast, NOW you don't have a way to locally get in front of your PC there to look at your calendar, BUT your phone can SYNC it and you can see your calendar of events for the day. NOW wouldn't that save you a whole lot of downtime, saying if it wasn't possible in doing so?

Lets see this work when your PC on the east coast has BSOD'd due to a Windows update. (and no, I'm not an Apple user)

What does this have to do with the number of PC users from 1995 compared to 2012?

Like I said, this could end up being a good thing for MS, but it could easily go the other way. The learning curve from WinXP to Win7 wasn't that great. Win7 to Win8 is going to be a nightmare.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough
Hi,

acr731 Look at it this way, convergence has always been the better solution. NOW saying IF you PC, and phone had the SAME operating system. wouldn't day to day convergence between the two be more time saving, as opposed to going from one location to another? I'll use calendar in this example. NOW you're in Los Angles, and your PC is in your office on the east coast, NOW you don't have a way to locally get in front of your PC there to look at your calendar, BUT your phone can SYNC it and you can see your calendar of events for the day. NOW wouldn't that save you a whole lot of downtime, saying if it wasn't possible in doing so?

What makes you think that for two apps to talk to each other they both need to look the same?

Sorry to say so but 90% of all the apps that come preloaded with W8 belong on either a tablet or a phone or both but no one's waiting for his desltop to look and act as if it were a tablet or are they?

Offering a desktop interface that comes with the same restrictions of a tiny little screen is going backwards, not forwards IMHO.

Cheers, ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W2K8S R2 STD, W7 ULTIMATE X64
    DELL OPTIPLEX 745
    CPU
    INTEL Q6600
    Motherboard
    DELL
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL INTEGRATED CHIPSET Q965
Actually it only took the majority of this forum less than a month to learn how the metro menu works, as well as the work around we have discovered. Also there is a start button available for Windows 8 call Vistart. You can download it here. ViStart Free Download

But for the most part, we want to use the new Metro interface, I, myself am a power user, and this has been a total joy for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Just my 2 cents:

I'm reading all these complaints about how difficult it is to find something, or how something works on Windows 8 CP. "I am an experienced Windows veteran since version XXX and I can not find this and can not do that", that seems to be a common nominator.

OK. I am an experienced Windows user, since absolute beginning of Windows. When I first saw Win 8 CP it was clear it is so different than previous versions that even experienced users might need to consult manuals and other written instructions.

I did so. And now I have absolutely no problems to navigate deeper and deeper on Win 8 CP, find what I need. The point is we should forget now the fact we are "experts" and start instead reading manuals. I know it's cool to brag that "only n00bs read manuals, I do not need them for I am a pro", but it's wrong attitude.

Control Panel cannot be found:BS! Can not hibernate: BS! Can not change this or that: BS!

Stop complaining. Read.

- Windows 8 Consumer Preview
- Windows 8 Consumer Preview Guide (pdf)

Kari

+1 ;)

It's not that difficult, you can easily set it up to not use the Metro start screen more than once a day, for those that don't like it.
If it was Win7 SP3, then there would be just as many discussing why they don't like it and won't use it.
Change is inevitable, but it doesn't mean you have to, many used XP for 10 years or more.
Life goes on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
you can easily set it up to not use the Metro start screen more than once a day
You can also set it up so that you hardly ever use the desktop - at least for the majority of the users. Geeks may still want the desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
...Geeks may still want the desktop.

Or maybe 'normal' users who wish to have more than two applications running simultaneously.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
You can also set it up so that you hardly ever use the desktop - at least for the majority of the users. Geeks may still want the desktop.

Wow let me guess; you never work in an office ? If you launch Word, it go to the desktop, of course offices workers are a minority. always the same "as long as it's good for me"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
I keep trying to like it.

I boot in full of hope that there will be a revelation.

I can still only stand it in small doses.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
There is a reason why Microsoft decided on a Start Screen so people can ACTUALLY get rid of their crap, and not let it bloat up one way or another.

Huh? You can have as much or as little clutter in the Start Menu as you like. Same with Metro. The difference is that Metro is always in your face (unless you somehow turn it off) and the Start Menu isn't.

People have been scrolling up and down because that's how it's always been. And people really don't read up and down, they read left to right or right to left depending on the language.

Where did I say people read up and down? That's not what I said at all. What I mentioned was the horizontal/vertical ratio of words on a page. Same principle applies to words on a screen, because it's a design principle that's been in effect since human beings have been writing. Stuff that lasts that long doesn't happen "just because." Read some typography books, study layout design. If you can't do that, at least read this dumb Wikipedia page. What I just typed doesn't mean there are no other forms anyone can follow, you must always go by set rules, blah, blah, blah. It's easier to read a horizontal license plate than a vertical one. I prefer a widescreen movie to one with an aspect ratio of 1.33:1. I prefer a widescreen monitor. But it's not easier to read a paragraph that's wider than it is longer, which is why computer screens scroll up and down. I don't find it more efficient finding icons in a wide field that scrolls off the screen L-R, unless - like I already said - you're using a phone or tablet, which needs that kind of scrolling, and even when I do scroll I am always thinking - I wish I had a bigger damn screen.

If left to the devices of said power users, we'd still be using the classic design of Windows that Microsoft gladly left a good decade ago I'd bet.

No we wouldn't because it's never happened in the history of operating systems. An OS is a tool but it's not a tool like a hammer. Would you change the design of a hammer? No, because it does (more or less) one thing. An OS not only does a gazillion things, it does a gazillion things in the electronic world, which is always evolving, which means the OS must evolve with it.

C'mon, you're not putting as much thought into this stuff as you think.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790