The Windows 8.1 Preview Start Button Is an “Insult to...

Microsoft has brought back the Start button in Windows 8.1 Preview, but instead of launching the old and popular Start Menu, it actually gets users to the new Start screen.

The Start button is always visible when working on the desktop, just to make sure that users can quickly access the Start screen, while in Metro mode consumers are required to move the mouse cursor in the lower left corner to launch it.

Unsurprisingly, many Windows 8 adopters are fairly disappointed with Microsoft’s own way to address customer feedback, claiming that the new Start button is “an insult to everyone’s intelligence.”

Users: The Windows 8.1 Preview Start Button Is an ?Insult to Everyone?s Intelligence?

I really don't care about the button, I just demand that my tea is hot. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ideapad Y560p
    CPU
    i7-2630QM
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 6570M
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    2x1TB, 6TB External
    PSU
    120W 19.5V brick
    Case
    Standard plastic with an ideapad logo
    Cooling
    A nice fan
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Mitsai
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast 8
Its not a "Start" button in the traditional sense. Left click sends you back to the metro interface and right-clicking will bring up a menu for options normally found in the control panel. Definitely not what people expected from Microsoft when they said they were bringing back the start button. Its like they spit in everyone's face instead.

Besides the aesthetic differences, can anyone tell me what you can do with the Start button that you can't do with the Metro UI? As far as I can see the two are exactly equivalent: they show the same information, they respond to the same keystrokes, they have the same organization, etc. You can search from either by just typing what you want, open applications, everything. The only difference I see is that with the start button you can still see your desktop while selecting from the menu, vs. the one in Windows 8 being easier to use with touch but forcing you to lose the desktop from view. I hardly see that this difference causes all the fuss, so what am I missing?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
You know what's funny? The new Win10 hybrid start menu now looks like a page out of those magazines with small square ads on the side column. I'll never shake off that "magazine look" which is why I might avoid w10 4ever if it isn't a free upgrade from 8.1, which I don't think it will be.

Btw, I predict the next fad would be in w10, you get paid for putting up with small ads in place of those metro tiles on the start menu...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
You know what's funny? The new Win10 hybrid start menu now looks like a page out of those magazines with small square ads on the side column. I'll never shake off that "magazine look" which is why I might avoid w10 4ever if it isn't a free upgrade from 8.1, which I don't think it will be.

Btw, I predict the next fad would be in w10, you get paid for putting up with small ads in place of those metro tiles on the start menu...

I guess I'll never know. I've been using ClassicShell for so long now I don't think it matters what MS does with there start button. I only had Win 8 loaded as a dual boot for a month or so and went back to Win 7. My Wife's HP Touch screen kept win 8 through the update to 8.1 and update. My notebook I moved to 8.1 the update clean installs. I never thought twice about not putting on ClassicShell First thing I loaded after windows. It been 2 years now for my wife with a touch screen and she does not multitask with multi window for her its 1 window full screen full time so she still wanted ClassicShell installed after the upgrade to 8.1 and again after the update. I don't think were going to go to windows smart phone. We have become used to Android and unless google does something stupid to screw that up. We'll stay right were we are for smart phones and tablets. For me I have 6 tabs open in IE and MS Word and MS Excel, Outlook , SnagIt, and others at different times, four gadgets all running that I' using full time Metro don't work for me nor will it in the near future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
I really do not understand why people want to hang on to the old stuff or simulate it with programs like classic shell. And let's not even talk about this terrible hybrid in 10.

The 8.1 start page is ideal. It is highly customizable, can accommodate all those shortcut icons that used to clutter up the desktop and is pleasant to look at.

And the Apps page certainly beats All Programs. It is a lot easier to read and you see a lot more apps at one time. If they only would bring them all in alphabetical order and not have first class apps and second class apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I really do not understand why people want to hang on to the old stuff or simulate it with programs like classic shell. And let's not even talk about this terrible hybrid in 10.

The 8.1 start page is ideal. It is highly customizable, can accommodate all those shortcut icons that used to clutter up the desktop and is pleasant to look at.

And the Apps page certainly beats All Programs. It is a lot easier to read and you see a lot more apps at one time. If they only would bring them all in alphabetical order and not have first class apps and second class apps.

XP is still my go-to OS. When I want fast upload speed to OneDrive, or take advantage of super-fast download servers, which somehow only Win7+ wi-fi connectivity can fully utilize, then I briefly go there.

When you're not actively uploading/downloading stuff over wi-fi, XP is one of those OSes that is good enuf 4ever, if your system has drivers for it...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
You must be kidding me. I would not want a prehistoric primitive XP. Those times are long gone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

I agree - IF the apps work all the time. However, I have had problems with the apps not working properly from time to time and it really is an annoyance. I still cannot get The Weather Channel App to work no matter how I try.

I guess it's all where each user places importance and/or how technical he/she is. My spouse could never exist without Classic Start Menu and doesn't care to try - lol. I like the Start Page and agree about it cleaning up the clutter on the desktop. Each user just needs to see what's available and use the things that best suits their individual needs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion p6230f
    CPU
    HP AMD Phenom II X4 810
    Motherboard
    FOXCONN ALOE
    Memory
    8 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI/AMD Radeon HD 42
    Sound Card
    ATI/AMD SB600 - High
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SE198WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST3750528AS
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
My 2 cents: I like the start screen and apps screen but I don't need them or a start menu in windows 8.1. I use the Desktop toolbar in the taskbar with the slide menus and have desktop icons turned off because I can see them in the toolbar also. And when there# something that' not there that I need like "Snipping Tool" I just use search like I did in windows 7's start menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Update Pro in Hyper-V/Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Cliff's Black & Blue Wonder
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    32 GB Quad Kit, G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series schwarz, DDR4-3866, 18-19-19-39-2T
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix O24G, 24576 MB GDDR6X
    Sound Card
    (1) HD Webcam C270 (2) NVIDIA High Definition Audio (3) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2711U(4K) and a hp 27vx(1080p)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    C: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD
    E: & O: Libraries & OneDrive-> Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    D: Hyper-V VM's -> Samsung PM951 Client M.2 512Gb SSD
    G: System Images -> HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000i High Performance ATX Power Supply 80+ Platinum
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB TT Premium-Edition 360mm and 3 Corsair blue LED fans
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender of course & Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as a
    Other Info
    Router: FRITZ!Box 7590 AX V2
    Sound system: SHARP HT-SBW460 Dolby Atmos Soundbar
    Webcam: Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM 4K webcam with HDR
My 2 cents: I like the start screen and apps screen but I don't need them or a start menu in windows 8.1. I use the Desktop toolbar in the taskbar with the slide menus and have desktop icons turned off because I can see them in the toolbar also. And when there# something that' not there that I need like "Snipping Tool" I just use search like I did in windows 7's start menu.

That is a good additional resource.

Toolbars - How to Use in Windows 7 and Vista - Windows 7 Help Forums

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
B4 they axe development of 8.1 for good, I just hope they polish things up a little. Having to right click the Windows button just to access "shut down" among a list of very technical items just seems kind of geeky to me...

If anyone from Microsoft is reading this, can we at least have a cool (non-nerdy) way of shutting down our computers like in XP/7/10 for desktop users?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
B4 they axe development of 8.1 for good, I just hope they polish things up a little. Having to right click the Windows button just to access "shut down" among a list of very technical items just seems kind of geeky to me...

If anyone from Microsoft is reading this, can we at least have a cool (non-nerdy) way of shutting down our computers like in XP/7/10 for desktop users?

How about this one:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/44237-power-button-start-screen-add-remove.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Um, that only works for the metro screen. I have my Windows button open to the all apps screen, which doesn't have the power button...

Edit: nvm, i see from certain screen shots that the all apps screen does have a power button. Why couldn't MS have it enabled by default like the metro screen? Makes desktop users look like nerds by default...

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I'll tell you guys what's an insult though, letting you play MKV files on 8.1 only thru XBox Video app. This should have been part of WMP update not on some app I only fire up exclusively to play MKV files. Oh well, nothing beats MPC though. It not only plays MKV & FLAC, which ahem are only starting to appear in w10 natively, but I make heavy use of the "normalize" function in MPC which makes the sound sound much better than without!

(Of course I don't recommend getting MPC alone. The standalone version has glitches. I normally obtain MPC thru the CCCP pack which includes a bunch of other goodies...)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7

I don't use start screen or Apps, My G75VW has never had BSOD July 2012 Win 7 the clean install of 8.1 Pro

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
I'll tell you guys what's an insult though, letting you play MKV files on 8.1 only thru XBox Video app. This should have been part of WMP update not on some app I only fire up exclusively to play MKV files. Oh well, nothing beats MPC though. It not only plays MKV & FLAC, which ahem are only starting to appear in w10 natively, but I make heavy use of the "normalize" function in MPC which makes the sound sound much better than without!

(Of course I don't recommend getting MPC alone. The standalone version has glitches. I normally obtain MPC thru the CCCP pack which includes a bunch of other goodies...)

Hi there

Why bother with Ms's video player stuff -- VLC will play all your video codecs and physical DVD's too. It will also play almost evey audio codec on the planet as well -- FREE download from videolan.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Why bother with Ms's video player stuff -- VLC will play all your video codecs and physical DVD's too. It will also play almost evey audio codec on the planet as well -- FREE download from videolan.

I second this .. I have used VLC for a long time now. It is a great program

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS X54C
    CPU
    Intel Pentium B940 2.00GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    Motherboard
    OEM - ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Model K54C (CPU 1) Version 1.0 Chipset Vendor Intel Chipset Model
    Memory
    6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    OEM - Intel Model HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    OEM
    Monitor(s) Displays
    OEM
    Hard Drives
    Manufacturer Hitachi
    Product Family Travelstar
    Series Prefix Standard
    Model Capacity For This Specific Drive 500GB
    PSU
    OEM
    Case
    OEM
    Cooling
    OEM
    Keyboard
    OEM
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    4 Mbps ADSL
    Browser
    Chrome 64bit
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Billion 400G Wi-fi router
I don't use start screen or Apps[/QUOTE said:
Me neither. Never have never will.
Personal computing started going downhill the day programmes became "apps" The flat appearance of the "Metro look" is horrible and I simply detest the way every programme maker seems to apply it in their design.
I will have my PC look and behave how I want it too NOT how Microsoft thinks it should be or wants it to be.
Who ever wants a return to this........... Screenshot (29).png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro. 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self built with TLC
    CPU
    Intel Skt 1150 Haswell Core i-7 3.50GHZ
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
    Memory
    32GB [4 x 8gb] Crucial Ballistix Tactical XMP 8-8-8-24
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon 7790 2GB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD 7.1 Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns-G HW246 24" Full HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840EVO 120GB SSD, Seagate 500GB, Seagate 320GB
    Western Digital 320GB, Seagate 2.5" 320GB,
    Seagate 160GB.
    All above drives permanently connected inside PC case.
    Western Digital 250GB [in USB housing for remote back up only]
    PSU
    Be-Quiet Pure Power 730w modular
    Case
    Zalman Z9 Plus
    Cooling
    Thermalright True Spirit 120 BW
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Basic 1.0A
    Mouse
    Polaroid Blue-Eye Wireless DX-7010
    Browser
    Cyberfox 64Bit
    Antivirus
    Avast
    Other Info
    CryptoPrevent,
    Malwarebytes
    SuperAnti-Spyware
    CCleaner
    Trojan Hunter v5.5
    Logitech C525 HD Webcam
    Canon IP 4600 printer with direct CD/DVD printing

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS X54C
    CPU
    Intel Pentium B940 2.00GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    Motherboard
    OEM - ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Model K54C (CPU 1) Version 1.0 Chipset Vendor Intel Chipset Model
    Memory
    6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    OEM - Intel Model HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    OEM
    Monitor(s) Displays
    OEM
    Hard Drives
    Manufacturer Hitachi
    Product Family Travelstar
    Series Prefix Standard