Tablets will be dead in 5 years: Blackberry CEO....

The tablet computer has no future, BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins told Bloomberg in an interview.
“In five years I don’t think there’ll be a reason to have a tablet anymore,” Heins said in an interview in Los Angeles Monday. “Maybe a big screen in your workspace, but not a tablet as such. Tablets themselves are not a good business model.”

His comments are the strongest indication yet that BlackBerry may be planning to abandon its tablet computer line, less than two years after the company's PlayBook debuted to less than stellar reviews.

BlackBerry took a $485 million write-down in 2011 after the PlayBook was panned by critics for lacking a built-in email feature, among other issues.

“In five years, I see BlackBerry to be the absolute leader in mobile computing -- that’s what we’re aiming for,” Heins told Bloomberg. “I want to gain as much market share as I can, but not by being a copycat.”

(please don't shoot the messenger....)
Thorsten Heins, BlackBerry CEO: Tablet Will Be Dead In 5 Years

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackberry will be dead in 3 years

I agree. Blackberry almost died before BB10. And BB10 is their last chance to ressurect themselves which I think is not going to happen. BB10 is just a "fad". Add an "e" to that, it will "fade" away. BB will die before tablets do.

Android is still the best way to go in terms of portable computing. I use my Nexus 7 to scan my messages and other stuff. But if I find anything important, my N7 or HTC One X will only give me a cue, then I'll sit down on my PC to take care of things. I don't even use my iPad 2 anymore, eventhough it's bigger and easier to type on. I gave it away to my 2 year old daughter for her games and videos (her tablet is more expensive than mine :)).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
You have to play a bit with different font and background colors sometimes, but I have never had a problem. I like to read on my back porch here in Portland Oregon and have never had any issues using the tablet as an e-reader.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Back