Tablets will be dead in 5 years: Blackberry CEO....

The tablet computer has no future, BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins told Bloomberg in an interview.
“In five years I don’t think there’ll be a reason to have a tablet anymore,” Heins said in an interview in Los Angeles Monday. “Maybe a big screen in your workspace, but not a tablet as such. Tablets themselves are not a good business model.”

His comments are the strongest indication yet that BlackBerry may be planning to abandon its tablet computer line, less than two years after the company's PlayBook debuted to less than stellar reviews.

BlackBerry took a $485 million write-down in 2011 after the PlayBook was panned by critics for lacking a built-in email feature, among other issues.

“In five years, I see BlackBerry to be the absolute leader in mobile computing -- that’s what we’re aiming for,” Heins told Bloomberg. “I want to gain as much market share as I can, but not by being a copycat.”

(please don't shoot the messenger....)
Thorsten Heins, BlackBerry CEO: Tablet Will Be Dead In 5 Years

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Thorsten needs to wake up and smell the jo-jo. I wonder if he thinks e-readers are also going to be a thing of the past in 5 years, and folks are ready to go back to the old fashioned paper with cardboard bookmark method of reading. Because at their core, tablets are e-readers, though they generally come with a host of other applications and features that make them all the more valuable. I love my tablet. I don't think the market for it is going anywhere. It is a young technology with lots of promise and it will only improve as time goes on. Someone will come up with easier ways of typing or talking text input into the tablet, and the technology will appeal to that many more people, and I won't feel the need to walk back to my desktop to type posts like this one, which I originally started reading on my tablet.

I also don't think the desktop environment is going anywhere, though more and more of us are now using laptops, or even multiple laptops in a desktop based environment. Both platforms are still going to be alive and well in the new age, because people are people. We are inherently different. I will still likely be supporting server arrays across the country in 5 years, and I will likely do so from my home office, where I sit in front of 5 screens making good use of every one. I won't be alone. There will be writers, architects, editors, gamers and you-name-it who work the way they work, in their place of choice and are comfortable doing so. People like us don’t like the taste of forced change, and many of us are a bit bitter with Microsoft for forcing the start screen on us. Even after 8 months, I still don’t like it. I don’t see it as an improvement over anything, though I do use it, because I don’t like putting 3rd party apps on my computer to replace ui functions.

My work computers are now all running windows 7. My non-work desktop that lives a short kvm switch button press away from my work machines runs Windows 8. I opted to upgrade back in October, when the price was 39 bucks, and I use it nearly every day. I have an Android tablet, and an Iphone which my company graciously provided me a few months ago as a replacement for my old 9810 Blackberry. I dip into all the vendor specific arenas, and have a taste for what works and what doesn't within each. It is just my taste, I am just one person, with one voice and one opinion, but I do tend to see my opinion echoed back at me when I browse around the web or visit forums like this one.

The platform that wins in the end, will be the one that offers the most flexibility and choice to the consumer, while at the same time maintaining a high level of security. The first one to pull this off, will win, I believe. Android is coming close, but they are lacking when it comes to security, so the future is still wide open. Unless Blackberry invents a new platform entirely, that is truly innovative, the tablet is not going anywhere.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Here is my summary of where the Vendors are at, at this time:

Windows: Can run a version of windows on just about anything. I can slap this hardware together with that hardware you have in your garage, and when we get it up and running, we should be able to slap Windows on it, though it probably won't be the latest iteration. Still, it will function, and even though I have been saying this for years, I still can say it to this day. It is not as smooth as Apple, but it is a free'er experience, at least from a hardware perspective. Most people use some form of it, and most applications are designed for it. Because of this, it plays nice with the rest of the world. Microsoft is mostly trying to play catch up now, but they are stepping up to the plate a bit late imo. They are also piddling off a lot of their base by forcing major UI changes designed for touch on them, even though the vast majority of their base are not using touch computers. This is back-firing on them in a lot of ways, and they are now back peddling to undo some of the damage.

Apple: Closed, mostly secure environment, which is both a pro and a con. Attention was put into making the OS smooth, pretty to look at, and easy to use which has won them a very loyal fan base. Apps load, pop up and go away with pizazz and style, and it is generally easier to code better looking applications in this environment. Still, you are stuck paying more money than you should for Apple hardware, and you are locked into it once you buy it. Your 200 dollar iPhone cannot expand past its measly 16gb of storage, and you will have to buy a custom cable to charge it. Jailbreaking will improve your experience immensely, and there is no shortage of advanced features available should you take this course.

Android: Android has a lot of promise, but falls short when it comes to security. They are not above copying what works well with other vendors, and this is a big benefit for them. If another company does something cool, they copy it, though they also are good at innovating and doing it in their own way. What you get is a very open and enjoyable experience in a more or less wide open environment that attempts to take the best of all worlds and implement it into one. The source code is readily available to be downloaded and tweaked, and there is a rich community online to learn from. Security is the failing. That, and the fact that there is no note-able desktop OS. If Android could run on Desktops, Windows would be in grave danger.

Blackberry: Very secure, corporate driven environment that was once the biggest player in the market, but is now very much on the verge of collapse. Their CEO is living in denial, and should hire someone else to speak for him when they release something new to the public. There is still much to like here, but they too are definitely playing catch up with both IPhone and Android, ever since the iPhone was released in 07'. The Z10 does have promise, but I personally would have rather seen a 9820 that runs BB 10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
I have a tablet(hp firesale), and an ereader(paperwhite)
I use my ereader daily, reading til I fall asleep.
Tablet sits on a shelf, gathering dust.
I realize that I represent only myself, I don't claim to speak for anyone else... but I just don't see the point of tablets. They just do not seem to do anything 'better' than other form factors, and hardly even anything 'as good' either......imho of course.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Personally, I think he is correct and incorrect at the same time. For businesses, which BlackBerry use to about a 90% market share, tablets aren't really working out so well but for the consumer, there is still a big demand and will be for quite some time.
My daughter has a PlayBook and yes it is smooth to operate but doesn't have anyone developing software for it which kind of makes it a joke. Who really wants a tablet or even a PC that doesn't have software?

Even though just a few years ago, BlackBerry was king in the business world but they haven't made the jump like Android-Google/Apple-IOS or even Microsoft has made. It might take longer than 5 years but I really can't see them making it 10 years in its current form. Remember Novell? They went from being the leader in network OS's with a 65% market share to going out of the server market in less than 10 years. Yes, they are still around but their OS isn't. Now they are in the terminal emulation market.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
Hi there

e-readers are special (and incredibly) useful specialized devices - I couldn't imagine going anywhere without one now. This is a great example where you still need a separate dedicated device which is 100% great for the purpose it's designed for.

There is no way any tablet could even THINK as serving as an e-reader - especially in bright sunlight --. Apart from Battery life problems you'd have a barely readable screen which wouldn't be very comfortable on a Sandy Beach when the wind blows. A Kindle / Nook / Sony device does the job perfectly -- especially the Sony as it can handle epub, Doc / pdf formats and has an external micro SDHC card (up to 32 GB extra storage).

Calibre (Free) converts Mobi (Kindle format) and others to epub etc so you aren't restricted to amazon books . I've probably got around 2500 books loaded up on my e-reader --never have time to read them all -- absolutely great device for reading ANYWHERE - even standing in lines at Supermarket checkouts !!!.

My mobile phone does more than adequately anything else I'd need a "Classical tablet" for and a decent portable PC serves as a great device for mobile work type stuff.

I can see the use of a Hybrid (and the Surface Pro comes IMO into this category) for pulling the tablet part out of the docking station if giving demos / management presentations - saves carrying the whole PC - but for any sort of sensible content creation you need to operate the device in "PC Mode".

A 7 inch tablet is worse than useless IMO -- what on earth would you use it for that you couldn't do on a decent smart phone -- just watch the odd movie or too -- well I'd take a PC with a larger screen to enjoy the film more. !!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I use my Windows tablet marginally every day and when away, it is my PC, amongst other things. It also serves as an excellent backup PC when we have power outages, too many for my liking. The 10" tablet form-factor is perfect for what I need and I could not see myself not owning one.

I have a 7" head unit in my car for navigation, Bluetooth mobile hands-free etc and I don't think that I could live with a 7" tablet, for anything but very basic tasks. Others clearly find them useful.

I'm not interested in laptops (we have two working ones and two with broken screens) and would never consider another laptop again, even though they generally offer more features than a tablet.

But seeing what people use their tablets for, I think Apple and Android are going to be the powerhouses in this arena for a long time to come.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
But again, it isn't about how you use your tablet at home, how are people here using them at work? Every place I have seen a tablet is a BYOD and are used to take notes. That's it. I have used mine yo connect to work machines and servers and to read books on but to be honest, I haven't gotten it out since I bought my phone which does everything my tablet did (Note 2).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
Perhaps a huge asteroid will hit the earth in 5 years. If anyone is left, we can go back to stone tablets... :)
Darn; sure miss those days. I was a scribe for Hammurabi back when Babylon was the place to be still have all the tools of the trade. . .:thumbsup:

Ha ha Lee! I really love your sense of history. I once saw a parody on The Onion website saying the ancient Sumerians already had digital audio. I tried to search for that video in vain...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" touch screen w/ digitizer & Asus 27" external monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 Touchpad & Microsoft Touch Mouse
Hate to break it to the guy, but the tablet is the best round the house device for me to keep updated on internet stuff. I don't use a smart phone because it's focus is on portability so it's small. Great for when I'm in line at the store or in a waiting room, but if a tablet is around, the phone is in the pocket. I don't use a laptop much because of boot time, logging in, it's big and they get hot. The tablet is what I want when I'm on the couch, the bathroom, on the patio, before I go to sleep etc. The tablet is a great device that fits well in a lot of everyday activities. It's not going away any time soon.

An article about RIM/Blackberry predicting the future. HAHAHAHAHA. :roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
tablets not leaving ever. if anything its going to improve.

faster, powerful. built in radio , HDTV to watch local hdtv over the air. higher pixels. larger storage.

if anything Im better at predicting the future then blackberry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    thermaltake
    CPU
    intel 2600 4ghz to 4.20ghz
    Motherboard
    gigabyte p67-d3-b3
    Memory
    16gb 1900mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 780 gtx + nvidia 580
    Sound Card
    sound ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    asus hdmi 24inch
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    3x 2tb drivers
    PSU
    850 watts
    Case
    Thermtake V9
    Cooling
    very powerful fans
    Keyboard
    sidewinder x4
    Mouse
    logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    chrome,firefox,ie
    Antivirus
    Avira
I personally would want a new Android phone one day. Maybe a 4.3 or a 5 inch one. A 6 inch "phablet" would also seem promising at some situations because of the huge screen..

A tablet? I've seen people and children play with them. I even saw this guy holding his tablet with both hands from the top of a vehicle to take pictures or video in front of them. It kinda looked silly because he could have managed with a more compact form factor such as a digital camera or simply a phone with a camera to do the same thing that he could manage with just one hand. If you want bigger display on reading e-books, Facebook, Twitter and games, the tablet is fair enough for me but only if I also have a bag to place it. I'd rather have an Android phone with me cause I could fit that on my pocket and I don't know if any of you even know that some mobile phones also have mobile TV. They have antennas, some use the stylus as antenna and rely on analog signal to pickup TV signals and its a pretty decent thing to have in your phone if all the other stuff in there start to get boring.

The reason I would want an Android is that it has much much much support. Millions of apps, more being developed everyday but the device is not as costly as that of the fruit company. They are on its height at the moment. A lot of manufacturers took that OS so you'd be familiar in using different brands of phones or tablets that all have Android. The only thing I seem to not like about it is that multitasking is bad to the sense that it has no close buttons that you cannot exit an app by will. You would have to use a third party app for that. A lot of companies have adapted Android. There are also a lot of small-time players as well and some do come up with cheaper but pretty decent phones/tablets that I would choose over a Samsung, Apple or Sony any day. I really wanted a phone that has analog TV.

And Blackberry? The brand name sounds kinda out of the hype now. Even if they come up with something really decent now (which they did in the past), its gonna be hell trying to dive the river upstream where the current is against them. They and Nokia will be sharing the same fast sinking boat unless they come up with something groundbreaking in the next year or two.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
I don't understand why people feel the need to make doom and gloom predictions. I can assure the CEO of RIM that tablets are here to stay. Both my elderly parents each have an asus transformer infinity and a Samsung galaxy 2. My mom takes the 7 inch galaxy with her everywhere to shoot videos.
IMG_20130506_105901.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
7 inch tablets are far from useless. I take my Nexus 7 everywhere. I do use it as a e-reader. I used to have a Sony e-reader, and I found it to be an excellent device, but I wanted something I could do more with. I find the Nexus 7 just fine for reading. Obviously its not as good as a dedicated reading device, but its close enough. I read outside a lot. I find if you use Night Mode (black background and white text) it can be used outside even on a sunny day.

The devices versatility is the killer aspect though. Like I said, it serves as my e-reader, but I have the 3G version, so I can use it for emails/IMs, and to watch YouTube videos on. I also have quite a few games on it as well. I commute 2 hours a day, so it gets a lot of mileage. Sure, my smartphone could do all those things, but I guess my eyesight isn't the best. I just find it easier to use a larger screen. The Nexus 7 is so light you don't notice it in a backpack. Its pretty durable too.

My 10.6 inch Surface stays home, mainly because it lacks 3G. Also, its nowhere near as easily portable. So, the Surface is my 'at home' tablet, for the lounge room/in bed.

I think the 7 inch device most definitely has a place.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
See, I've never really interacted with a 7 inch tablet, because my main question is how the hell do you type on such a small screen? It strikes me as an awkward giant phone to do such. You can't tap type real quickly like on the Surface Pro, you can't easily hold it with two hands with a keyboard that is small enough for two thumbs to work easily.

And how would you ever use the Desktop on THAT small of a screen?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Says the CEO of a company that is the very definition of irrelevance who also believes that the iphone or android didn't affect Blackberry.... :rolleyes:

More likely, Blackberry will be dead in five years, or at least bought out by someone.

Yes! I back you up bud!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    iOS
See, I've never really interacted with a 7 inch tablet, because my main question is how the hell do you type on such a small screen? It strikes me as an awkward giant phone to do such. You can't tap type real quickly like on the Surface Pro, you can't easily hold it with two hands with a keyboard that is small enough for two thumbs to work easily.

And how would you ever use the Desktop on THAT small of a screen?

There's a couple of really good 3rd party keyboards, Swift Key in particular is excellent and very comfortable.

I do wonder how Windows would work on that form factor though. I think Metro would be fine, but the desktop? I have a hard time seeing it working.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB

Android: Android has a lot of promise, but falls short when it comes to security..

Samsung Galaxy S4 gets security approval from DoD for government use, Apple iPhone 5 still waiting

Samsung Galaxy S4 gets security approval from DoD, iPhone 5 still waiting | The Gadget Masters

Well this is very promising. I would have totally gone with the Galaxy S4 if my company would have offered it as an option. It is easily the best phone on the market at the moment imo, for lots of reasons. I do use my nexus 7 less these days now that I have an Iphone, but I still enjoy it more when I do. I just have too many devices in my household now. I bought the nexus 7 as an ereader, and it does a smashing job at that. Then when my iphone arrived, I find myself using it less. The Nexus 7 makes an awesome e-reader with moon+ reader installed. I love it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Blackberry will be dead in 3 years

Very possibly

“In five years I don’t think there’ll be a reason to have a tablet anymore,”

Probably. They are not likely to disappear completely - but some other form factor will be the next big thing.

Hybrids maybe? The ones you can actually use like a laptop/netbook/notebook, whatever. The clamshell designs where you can detach the tablet from the keyboard appeal to me more than something like the Surface with its floppy keyboard.

I'm a member of a private forum of "former Microsoft Beta Testers" who were "summarily dismissed" by Sinofsky when he took over Windows. We were basically discussing Windows 8 and how things might play out in both the hardware and software arena . . . Without revealing this poster's identity (he works for the US Government) here's what he said:

"There are about 50 people in our office where I work. We all have Dell Latitude XT3 Convertible Laptop/Tablets. We have a full size monitor and keyboard connected to a docking station on our desk. When we are our desk, we have the full desktop experience. When we are out in the field or traveling, we have the portability of a laptop and the convenience of a tablet. We connect to a VPN private cloud for synchronizing, email, etc. Works quite well.

Granted, we are still on Win 7 Enterprise, but a customized (with desktop and start menu) Win 8 Enterprise standard image is in testing and will most likely be deployed mid summer."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Android: Android has a lot of promise, but falls short when it comes to security..

Samsung Galaxy S4 gets security approval from DoD for government use, Apple iPhone 5 still waiting

Samsung Galaxy S4 gets security approval from DoD, iPhone 5 still waiting | The Gadget Masters

Well this is very promising. I would have totally gone with the Galaxy S4 if my company would have offered it as an option. It is easily the best phone on the market at the moment imo, for lots of reasons. I do use my nexus 7 less these days now that I have an Iphone, but I still enjoy it more when I do. I just have too many devices in my household now. I bought the nexus 7 as an ereader, and it does a smashing job at that. Then when my iphone arrived, I find myself using it less. The Nexus 7 makes an awesome e-reader with moon+ reader installed. I love it.

Hi there
Unless your weather is worse than ours I just don't see how ANY non e-ink device can work decently as an e-reader out of doors in bright sunlight -- tablets and even smart phones are often appalling to read in bright sunlight and up here when it DOES get sunny it gets really bright too.

I love my e-reader -- but could I swap it for a tablet --no way Jose.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB