Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5%

Windows tablets aren't dead -- they
hit a surprisingly high 7.5% market share in the first quarter of 2013. A 7.5% market share might not seem like much, but consider the woes that Windows tablets have been living through, that's encouraging news for Microsoft. It may mean that despite all the bad news, bad press, and bad planning, there's a real future for the devices.

Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5% | Computerworld Blogs

A rare find some good news on Windows 8.

You should stop comparing android and win 8.... you are right, there is no comparison. Android is not trying to compete with windows OS. Maybe windows is trying to compete with android but it is a complete joke comparing the 2. Glad you're happy with your machine.

I'm not comparing android with w8. I'm comparing the dedication and development of android vs w8. Regardless of the operating system, the ethics behind them should be the same. It should absolutely not take 11 months to fix an app bug and it should absolutely not take 3 years to fix a system bug regardless of the platform.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
You should stop comparing android and win 8.... you are right, there is no comparison. Android is not trying to compete with windows OS. Maybe windows is trying to compete with android but it is a complete joke comparing the 2. Glad you're happy with your machine.

I'm not comparing android with w8. I'm comparing the dedication and development of android vs w8. Regardless of the operating system, the ethics behind them should be the same. It should absolutely not take 11 months to fix an app bug and it should absolutely not take 3 years to fix a system bug regardless of the platform.

You are barking at the wrong tree. App developers don't necessarily work for or employed by Google or Microsoft. They are separate entities. Any geeks or computer genius student can make an app. If you have a problem with an app, don't blame the OS maker. Google or Microsoft have no control how they (developers) respond to bugs, etc.
An app issue can also be hardware related. It depends on your device. I have 2 quad-core androids (Nexus 7 and HTC One X). I never had bug issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj

You are barking at the wrong tree. App developers don't necessarily work with Google or Microsoft. They are separate entities. If you have a problem with an app, don't blame the OS maker. Google or Microsoft have no control how they (developers) respond to bugs, etc.

I blame the google OS maker because they set an example. Again, there are many bugs that are embedded in the android system. We've been poking the android team for 3 years and for 3 years we've been getting the same canned response "we will fix this bug soon".

On the app level, it took the dev behind thinkfree 11 months to fix this very obvious bug. Monkey see, monkey do.

look at w8.1. Just a few months after w8 came out, MS will be fixing some annoyances, including the split screen ratio. If this was google, 3 years after and they would still not do anything about it. With regard to w8 apps, there was an app where you could take pictures and output them as pdf documents. The idea behind it is very useful, but it was useless when I noticed if you tried to output more than 5 pages of pdf the app would crash. I emailed the dev and got a prompt reply. This bug was fixed 2 weeks later.

Another w8 app I use regularly utilizes the cameras. There was a bug where it only uses 1 camera. I emailed the dev, got a response within the hour, and got the bugfix update the next day. I've been using android for years and I've never experienced such quick communication and bug fixes from android developers. They usually just ignore you.

You're right that the OS makers don't control the devs. But they can set an example. And google android team is doing a lousy job at setting a good example when for 3 years they've been refusing to fix the most obvious system bug out there. Monkey see, monkey do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

You are barking at the wrong tree. App developers don't necessarily work with Google or Microsoft. They are separate entities. If you have a problem with an app, don't blame the OS maker. Google or Microsoft have no control how they (developers) respond to bugs, etc.

I blame the google OS maker because they set an example. Again, there are many bugs that are embedded in the android system. We've been poking the android team for 3 years and for 3 years we've been getting the same canned response "we will fix this bug soon".

On the app level, it took the dev behind thinkfree 11 months to fix this very obvious bug. Monkey see, monkey do.

look at w8.1. Just a few months after w8 came out, MS will be fixing some annoyances, including the split screen ratio. If this was google, 3 years after and they would still not do anything about it. With regard to w8 apps, there was an app where you could take pictures and output them as pdf documents. The idea behind it is very useful, but it was useless when I noticed if you tried to output more than 5 pages of pdf the app would crash. I emailed the dev and got a prompt reply. This bug was fixed 2 weeks later.

Another w8 app I use regularly utilizes the cameras. There was a bug where it only uses 1 camera. I emailed the dev, got a response within the hour, and got the bugfix update the next day. I've been using android for years and I've never experienced such quick communication and bug fixes from android developers. They usually just ignore you.

You're right that the OS makers don't control the devs. But they can set an example. And google android team is doing a lousy job at setting a good example when for 3 years they've been refusing to fix the most obvious system bug out there. Monkey see, monkey do.

I am not surprised. Win 8 is new. There's very few apps for Win 8 compared to iOS and android. Microsoft is probably subsidizing these devs to create more apps for Win 8.
Just like any other new software, win 8 is buggy and has flaws in the design and needs to be fixed right away if they want to be more competitive. That's what Win 8 is doing right now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

I am not surprised. Win 8 is new. There's very few apps for Win 8 compared to iOS and android. Microsoft is probably subsidizing these devs to create more apps for Win 8.
Just like any other new software, win 8 is buggy and has flaws in the design and needs to be fixed right away if they want to be more competitive. That's what Win 8 is doing right now.

Imagine you surfing the net. All of the sudden, your browser stops responding. You can't quit. You can't go back to previous page. You can't go forward. Clicking on a link does nothing. Clicking on a favorite link does nothing. You exit out and go back into the browser and again nothing works. The only way around this is to restart your tablet.

You don't think this is significant enough for them to at least try to come out with a fix in the last 3 years? This bug was very well documented 3 years ago, and it's still there. All inquiries with google yields "we're working on it" answer. You don't think this bug is significant enough for them to try to fix it within the last 3 years?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
The only way around this is to restart your tablet.

And I specifically said.. it can be hardware related. it may not work well on yours but mine don't have a problem. So, did you use something else while the bug is unfixed? I'm sure there are a lot of other options.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

The only way around this is to restart your tablet.

And I specifically said.. it can be hardware related. it may not work well on yours but mine don't have a problem. So, did you use something else while the bug is unfixed? I'm sure there are a lot of other options.:)
It's not just me that experiences this. The bug is observed across different hardwares out there, mostly tegra 2 and 3 devices.

The latest jellybean release pretty much made me drop android from my tablets all together. I don't feel like having a giant android phone as my tablet UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

yeah, I've been surprised how easy it is to get in contact with W8 developers. I was using Notepad Classic and it's pretty great. But you originally couldn't save a file without a file extension. So I emailed the developer and he actually replied within a day! And the app was updated within the week!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
yeah, I've been surprised how easy it is to get in contact with Windows 8 developers

Perhaps they are not very busy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back