Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5%

Windows tablets aren't dead -- they
hit a surprisingly high 7.5% market share in the first quarter of 2013. A 7.5% market share might not seem like much, but consider the woes that Windows tablets have been living through, that's encouraging news for Microsoft. It may mean that despite all the bad news, bad press, and bad planning, there's a real future for the devices.

Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5% | Computerworld Blogs

A rare find some good news on Windows 8.

I get the Linux CLI (aka Terminal/Shell) issue but what was the comparison on 8 and RT about?:huh:

Did you ever get to use Vista pre-SP1?
My comparison is support. I ditched RT because it doesn't get the support that it needs. 2 samsung and 1 MS tech guys didn't know a driver compiled for windows 8 wouldn't work on RT. They thought RT and 8 were the same thing. And this was in March of this year, months after 8 and RT were released. How can RT get the proper software support that it needs if people don't even know it's not the same as 8? That was my point.

Same goes with linux. No support.

About vista pre sp1, yes I tried it and went back to xp the next day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
The point is iOS, android, and linux developers from my observation are not very aware of the most common but very important things. Windows developers seem to be way way more responsive. One app, for example, on windows 8 had a camera bug. I emailed the dev, got a response within the hour, and he came out with an update to fix it the next day. That versus the 11 months I waited for an android developer to fix a bug.

Well, thats understandable, in linux world most things are free, and developers are more like 1-2 men army than a big companies, so there is nothing, that would make them to work, and programs level is just like students homework.
In apple world, bugs are features :)
And in ms world big money wander, and developers are more serious.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
I would be surprised if "7.5%" represented actual human beings entering a store and buying a device. Sorry, call me skeptical....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
The point is iOS, android, and linux developers from my observation are not very aware of the most common but very important things. Windows developers seem to be way way more responsive. One app, for example, on windows 8 had a camera bug. I emailed the dev, got a response within the hour, and he came out with an update to fix it the next day. That versus the 11 months I waited for an android developer to fix a bug.

Personal experience does not in anyway justify the conclusion that something is "great" and "the best". It only justifies personal satisfaction. I had some wonderful experience with some tech support too but that's because some people are great in doing their jobs not because the OS I chose is great. App developers does not necessarily work with the OS company. These are third party small time company who rips people off most of the time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj

Personal experience does not in anyway justify the conclusion that something is "great" and "the best". It only justifies personal satisfaction. I had some wonderful experience with some tech support too but that's because some people are great in doing their jobs not because the OS I chose is great. App developers does not necessarily work with the OS company. These are third party small time company who rips people off most of the time.

I'm curious as to what motive you have to quote mining me. The part where I said windows 8 was great and the best also included a part where I specifically said it was my opinion. The subsequent details in later posts were just sharing my experiences in other devices.

Take android for example. Myself along with many others who have been trying to use android in an office setting have been complaining to google that most of the short keys that are vital to document editing and communication like ctrl+v and ctrl+c just don't work since android 3.0. We are now at android 4.2. Google has added a bunch of features since then. But something as simple as copy and paste are still not here. If I wanted to share a link with you, I can't. I've been having to manually type out long links. A week ago I sent out my only windows machine to HP for warranty claim. So, been having to use my android hybrid.

Another example is the web browser. Sometimes, it just hangs. Doesn't force close. Doesn't do anything. Just becomes unresponsive. My friends (who are developers) and I have been complaining to the android team about this bug since 3.0. We are now at 4.2 and we're still getting responses like "we will be fixing it soon". And this is coming from google android team, not some backwoods developer from China.

Across several ipads and several generations of ipads, what bothers me the most is that iOS crashes a lot. At first, I thought it was my imagination. Then a study by an independent organization that proved iOS devices crashes even more often than android.

But hang on a second, you would say. Most people think iOS is more stable. The reason is this. When everything else crashes, you get an error message saying something has crashed. Apple has designed iOS to not show any message when somehing has crashed. It's annoying. We've been complaining to apple about this since the first ipad came out. Not a single response.

With linux, I completely understand why it's got little to no support. I really do. Everything is open source and free. That said, the support and bug fixes are even worse than android and iOS.

My friends and I have been using all these devices side by side and have concluded that with the exception of the number of apps available, windows 8 is better in every other aspect. What complaints we've been having will be fixed in windows 8.1. If this had been google, apple, or anyone else, it would be fixed several generations later.

People can bash windows 8 devices all they want because of a stupid start button that is a manufactured issue. People should use all the other oses side by side with windows 8 across over a dozen devices. And do it in practical settings.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
People can bash windows 8 devices all they want because of a stupid start button that is a manufactured issue.

Yes. And those who have any sense are doing so.

You are right, it is an issue manufactured by MS. A deliberate and cynical attempt to force the start screen full screen at users. It is their ad billboard.That is why they removed the start menu.

People should use all the other oses side by side with windows 8 across over a dozen devices. And do it in practical settings.

a) I think you would find at least some of them would go for Ubuntu if they actually did that. Not all - some have specific needs for Windows programs, some (like photographers ) want/need macs. But windows would definitely lose some customers.

b) There is no need to use one os across different devices. Right now, plenty are very happy with e.g. a win 7 laptop, and an android/iphone. Some might not even need the laptop at all - any phone/cheap tablet is fine.

No necessity whatsoever for one size fits none properly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
People can bash windows 8 devices all they want because of a stupid start button that is a manufactured issue.
Yes. And those who have any sense are doing so.

A rather bold statement to make don't you think? In essense what you're saying is that since some don't bash MS with some issues and agree on them, then therefore they have no sense. That's an absolutely wonderful thing to state.:sarc:

You are right, it is an issue manufactured by MS. A deliberate and cynical attempt to force the start screen full screen at users. It is their ad billboard.That is why they removed the start menu.

Not an issue manufactured by MS whatsoever. Most did not use the Start Menu. Most used the Taskbar for launch, which continues to exist. Data from the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) shows this. Other surveys as well. http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/2886-designing-start-screen.html There's links galore on that thread. That, to me, wipes out your adjective of "cynical".

Deliberate, yes. A much needed launch pad for touch centric UI that works just as well will traditional perpherals, if not better IMO.

"It is their ad billboard" is a strange way of looking at it to me. Do they desire to sell apps via their Store? Yes. Just as others are. When I open the Bing app and some other apps there is some adverts, but so do other company's apps. What's the big deal of MS getting into the Store app business? No one's forcing anyone to buy anything or look at adverts. Personally I glimpse at an advert just as on a web page and if not interested, I simply pass it up.

Guess what? If one doesn't like the Store app > Right click tile > Choose unpin > Poof > Gone. Same with any tile. In fact there doesn't need to be any Store app tiles on the "billboard" at all. They could all be desktop Win32 program tiles.

People should use all the other oses side by side with windows 8 across over a dozen devices. And do it in practical settings.
a) I think you would find at least some of them would go for Ubuntu if they actually did that. Not all - some have specific needs for Windows programs, some (like photographers ) want/need macs. But windows would definitely lose some customers.

Win some, lose some. They all do. 8 won't break MS if it fails (and that's a big IF) any more than bad press with Vista, which in the end was a good OS given the correct hardware.

b) There is no need to use one os across different devices. Right now, plenty are very happy with e.g. a win 7 laptop, and an android/iphone. Some might not even need the laptop at all - any phone/cheap tablet is fine.

Another bold statement. There are plenty of users, especially non-technical ones, that will find this quite useful IMO. Familiar across all devices. Techies, geeks, enthusiasts, or whoever on this or other related forums are but a very small minority of computer users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
And yet I've been having a one size fits all properly for a couple months now. A few months back, I was burglarized and they took my i7 desktop. So, I started to use my 11.6 inch win 8 tablet/laptop hybrid the hp envy x2 all the time. I recently bought another monitor, usb keyboard, and usb mouse. So, at home I just plug this machine into my 24" monitor and the 2 input devices. So, when I'm on the move, this laptop works great for me working with documents, communication, and calculations. When I'm at home, I use it as my desktop. When I'm in my bed or in the early morning, I use it in its tablet form to do some readings or watch videos. It's been 4 months since I lost my desktop, and I haven't had the need to get another one.

Ok, I admit that it was just prograstination at first that prevented me from getting another desktop. But over time, this setup has worked wonderfully for me. I've even been working on a windows 8 app myself. Still trying to decide if it's worth it to upload it in the winstore.

The point is most users don't care that there is a start menu or not. This is a completely manufactured issue created by a hand full of people who don't like change.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
You are 100% right in that most do not care I think for a start button.

Being forced to boot to metro page, different issue all together.

People who don't like change, lmao. What a lame argument bud.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7

I'm curious as to what motive you have to quote mining me. The part where I said windows 8 was great and the best also included a part where I specifically said it was my opinion. The subsequent details in later posts were just sharing my experiences in other devices.

Take android for example. Myself along with many others who have been trying to use android in an office setting have been complaining to google that most of the short keys that are vital to document editing and communication like ctrl+v and ctrl+c just don't work since android 3.0. We are now at android 4.2. Google has added a bunch of features since then. But something as simple as copy and paste are still not here. If I wanted to share a link with you, I can't. I've been having to manually type out long links. A week ago I sent out my only windows machine to HP for warranty claim. So, been having to use my android hybrid.

Another example is the web browser. Sometimes, it just hangs. Doesn't force close. Doesn't do anything. Just becomes unresponsive. My friends (who are developers) and I have been complaining to the android team about this bug since 3.0. We are now at 4.2 and we're still getting responses like "we will be fixing it soon". And this is coming from google android team, not some backwoods developer from China.

Across several ipads and several generations of ipads, what bothers me the most is that iOS crashes a lot. At first, I thought it was my imagination. Then a study by an independent organization that proved iOS devices crashes even more often than android.

But hang on a second, you would say. Most people think iOS is more stable. The reason is this. When everything else crashes, you get an error message saying something has crashed. Apple has designed iOS to not show any message when somehing has crashed. It's annoying. We've been complaining to apple about this since the first ipad came out. Not a single response.

With linux, I completely understand why it's got little to no support. I really do. Everything is open source and free. That said, the support and bug fixes are even worse than android and iOS.

My friends and I have been using all these devices side by side and have concluded that with the exception of the number of apps available, windows 8 is better in every other aspect. What complaints we've been having will be fixed in windows 8.1. If this had been google, apple, or anyone else, it would be fixed several generations later.

People can bash windows 8 devices all they want because of a stupid start button that is a manufactured issue. People should use all the other oses side by side with windows 8 across over a dozen devices. And do it in practical settings.

Hi there

What Android devices miss is the ability to run a Virtual machine -- then you could run your favourite Windows apps in an Office too.

(Might be a bit extreme running a Virtual machine on a smart phone - although connected to a decent keyboard and monitor it could work -- the new Samsung S4 has an 8 way processor more than enough CPU power to do the job decently !!).

Samsung S4 here offers Exynos 5 Octa eight-core processor !!!!!!!. I have to ask though why on earth do you need that much OOMPH in a PHONE. though. You aren't I hope running NASA's Mars Rover missions with two thumbs on a greasy screen on your phone out in the middle of a busy street. !!

Since Android is essentially a version of Linux it shouldn't be a major problem to possibly re-compile the VMware workstation or player Linux package to run. Then once in your Virtual Windows machine you just logon to the company VPN or LAN -- JOB DONE.

Any aspiring developers out there -- contact VMWARE or ORACLE (VBOX) and see if they can pay you to get Virtual Machines to work on Android devices -- some of the more powerful tablets easily have enough CPU "OOMPH" in them to run a virtual machine especially if it was just running a simple app like connections to a company LAN or VPN -- and you'd make a BOODLE OF DOSH.

I've also worked at some sites where people have used Macbooks with something I think was called either "Bootcamp" or "Parallels" -- I'm not a Mac user so I don't know exactly what software these guys were using - but it ran Windows perfectly as a Virtual machine.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

I know. And I am commenting on that opinion.
Windows 8 tablet is great as it is. Not because of apps or anything you put in it. Apps are optional. You can live without them. The more important aspect of any tablet is the interface, speed and tasks it can handle on its own.
But you are getting everyone confused with the start menu issue. It is great with the tablet. The start menu issue is on Win 8 desktops. Not on tablets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Hi there

What Android devices miss is the ability to run a Virtual machine -- then you could run your favourite Windows apps in an Office too.

(Might be a bit extreme running a Virtual machine on a smart phone - although connected to a decent keyboard and monitor it could work -- the new Samsung S4 has an 8 way processor more than enough CPU power to do the job decently !!).

Samsung S4 here offers Exynos 5 Octa eight-core processor !!!!!!!. I have to ask though why on earth do you need that much OOMPH in a PHONE. though. You aren't I hope running NASA's Mars Rover missions with two thumbs on a greasy screen on your phone out in the middle of a busy street. !!

Since Android is essentially a version of Linux it shouldn't be a major problem to possibly re-compile the VMware workstation or player Linux package to run. Then once in your Virtual Windows machine you just logon to the company VPN or LAN -- JOB DONE.

Any aspiring developers out there -- contact VMWARE or ORACLE (VBOX) and see if they can pay you to get Virtual Machines to work on Android devices -- some of the more powerful tablets easily have enough CPU "OOMPH" in them to run a virtual machine especially if it was just running a simple app like connections to a company LAN or VPN -- and you'd make a BOODLE OF DOSH.

I've also worked at some sites where people have used Macbooks with something I think was called either "Bootcamp" or "Parallels" -- I'm not a Mac user so I don't know exactly what software these guys were using - but it ran Windows perfectly as a Virtual machine.

Cheers
jimbo
I hear you there.

Manufacturers like to add more and more powerful processors in their android tablets. But in the end, it's still an android tablet.

Something as simple as ctrl+b, ctrl+u, ctrl+c, etc. don't work at all.

There's a company called onskreen that came out with a mod to the android framework to make android tablet a true multitasking device by splitting the screen. Very similar to what w8 has but it gives the little app a little more space. The cyanogenmod team started discussing about how they could incorporate this mod into their builds. There was a lot of people enthusiastic about it, including myself. There were a couple beta builds (I tested them and they worked pretty darn well) before google came out with a statement saying they will ban cmod from the playstore if they continued. And cornerstone (the modification) died.

My point is I do see android as having the potential to be more than just a phone or gaming platform. I tried using it for a year with my report writing and such. But in the end, I've given up on it. The android team just isn't interested in adding very simple but necessary features like ctrl+b.

This is why I've been thanking the gods for w8.

Ever since my desktop was stolen from me, I've been plugging in my hybrid w8 machine into the big monitor and use a usb keyboard and mouse to work at home. When I'm outside, I bring my hybrid with me. The battery lasts literally all day long. I haven't seen the need to buy another desktop. So far, this thing works fine for me. It even makes a great bathroom browser LOL.

Anyway, enough of my rambling.

I'm excited because my w8 machine is coming back today.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Ever since my desktop was stolen from me, I've been plugging in my hybrid w8 machine into the big monitor and use a usb keyboard and mouse to work at home. When I'm outside, I bring my hybrid with me.

How do you manage your files? NAS? I don't wanna think you have your files kept in your hybrid thingy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Windows tablets aren't dead -- they
hit a surprisingly high 7.5% market share in the first quarter of 2013. A 7.5% market share might not seem like much, but consider the woes that Windows tablets have been living through, that's encouraging news for Microsoft. It may mean that despite all the bad news, bad press, and bad planning, there's a real future for the devices.

Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5% | Computerworld Blogs

A rare find some good news on Windows 8.

Well, that's some good news then. I think the more people try Windows 8, they find they can use it for their old programs so they are more apt to buy a new tablet. Do tablets run only Metro or do they also run regular applications?

If you're looking for both metro and Desktop apps, x86 based tablets are the way to go.

If you're looking for basic internet consumption/secondary PC for the go, Windows RT is a better suit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Ever since my desktop was stolen from me, I've been plugging in my hybrid w8 machine into the big monitor and use a usb keyboard and mouse to work at home. When I'm outside, I bring my hybrid with me. The battery lasts literally all day long. I haven't seen the need to buy another desktop. So far, this thing works fine for me. It even makes a great bathroom browser LOL.

Hello good intentions! I remember you from the Transformers Forums, and am pleasantly surprised to see you over here.

Just what w8 hybrid machine do you have with all day battery life? Inquiring minds want to know...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" touch screen w/ digitizer & Asus 27" external monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 Touchpad & Microsoft Touch Mouse

Hello good intentions! I remember you from the Transformers Forums, and am pleasantly surprised to see you over here.

Just what w8 hybrid machine do you have with all day battery life? Inquiring minds want to know...

HP envy x2.

I know it uses an atom processor. I don't play those 3D games. I use it mostly for documentation, pdf, coding, compilation, and communication. Most online reviews have been harsh on this thing because its not an i7 core. For my purposes it works great. I even play starcraft on it. If you work a lot with PhotoShop or autocad, don't get this. Strangely enough, compiling programs works fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
HP envy x2.

I know it uses an atom processor. I don't play those 3D games. I use it mostly for documentation, pdf, coding, compilation, and communication. Most online reviews have been harsh on this thing because its not an i7 core. For my purposes it works great. I even play starcraft on it. If you work a lot with PhotoShop or autocad, don't get this. Strangely enough, compiling programs works fine.
I have the Sony VAIO Duo 11 with an i7 8 GB ram & 256 GBP ssd. And with an extra battery slice, I'd say it approaches 8 hours on a charge. But it is too big and heavy for a tablet, and too small for a good notebook. And the slider keyboard is cramped. It works best as a very fast desktop when hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I read a review on the Envy, and it seems like the best of the Clover Trail bunch, with the highest performance and battery life. Almost makes me want one, lol!

What kind of compiling are you doing? In my case, I use Visual Studio 2012, which is probably up there with PhotoShop and Autocad in terms of hardware requirements. So the Clover Trail machines are likely out for me unless I relegate it to glorified mobile device, which certainly has its place.

Mickey Little from the Transformer Forums has dumped his Android devices and now has a Samsung Ativ 500T, which he really likes. It is a direct competitor to your Envy. I find it interesting that two high end Transformer users have defected to Windows 8 Clover Trail tablets. Windows 8 might have a bright future after all...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" touch screen w/ digitizer & Asus 27" external monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 Touchpad & Microsoft Touch Mouse
N
HP envy x2.

I have the Sony VAIO Duo 11 with an i7 8 GB ram & 256 GBP ssd. And with an extra battery slice, I'd say it approaches 8 hours on a charge. But it is too big and heavy for a tablet, and too small for a good notebook. And the slider keyboard is cramped. It works best as a very fast desktop when hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I read a review on the Envy, and it seems the best of the Clover Trail bunch, with the highest performance and battery life. Almost makes me want one, lol!

What kind of compiling are you doing? In my case, I use Visual Studio 2012, which is probably up there with PhotoShop and Autocad in terms of hardware requirements. So the Clover Trail machines are likely out for me unless I relegate it to glorified mobile device, which certainly has its place.

Mickey Little from the Transformer Forums has dumped his Android devices and now has a Samsung Ativ 500T, which he really likes. It is a direct competitor to your Envy. I find it interesting that two high end Transformer users have defected to Windows 8 Clover Trail tablets. Windows 8 might have a bright future after all...

After trying out 4 different w8 hybrids, I sold the other ones and kept this one. At the time, I only meant to use my envy x2 on the go. Who would have thunk there was a burglar eyeing my place. They went straight into my home office and took my desktop and a few other electronic items in that room. Insurance cleared it, so it was fine. I was going to get another desktop, but kept procrastinating. Then one day I really wanted to play starcraft. So, I took out an old big monitor from the basement and hooked up a mouse and keyboard. And voila, I got a working desktop environment. Surprisingly, starcraft ran great on this thing. That was a few months ago, and I'm still using this setup at home LOL.

For now, I've got no incentive to get something else, because this thing has worked for me in every situation. And on this thing, for now I use 2012 express. I'd imagine it's just as demanding as the full version. Compilation is a little on the slow side, but I use it as an excuse to get up and get some snacks and drink.

So, until I start needing to use something a lot more demanding, there's really no incentive for me to go out and get another i7 desktop.

I sold my tf700 months ago. I still keep a tf101 around even though I don't use it very often.

Why did I defect? Because there is just no comparison between w8 and android. People have a desktop for work, laptop to take around for work, and an android tablet to play games and surf the net. I'm different. I like to have one device that does all or most of that. Situation in my life has forced me to truly use my x2 for everything.

What really annoys me about android is something as simple as ctrl+b, ctrl+c, ctrl+u, etc. still don't work. The android team and android developers add a lot of gaming features to their apps and system tools, but they for some reason they are religiously against adding simple short keys like ctrl+b for document editing? I waited for 3 years for them to add those simple commands.

What's worse, android developers are absolutely the worst at responding to you. It's like they are up there high and mighty and don't care what happens to us lowly mortals. I bought thinkfree office for $10. It didn't have word wrap. So, when I type and the word reaches the end of the line the word wo
uld cut off and go to the next line like that. I emailed the dev company behind thinkfree about it. Got a reply a month later saying they will fix it in the next update. So, I patiently waited. 3 months later, they updated adding all kinds of cool features like sharing directly to dropbox. Still no word wrap. I don't care how many cool features it has, no word wrap means the app was comple
tely useless. Who's going to us
e a word proc
essor that keeps cut
ing off like that?

I spammed them with emails regarding this bug and 6 months later I got a reply saying they will fix it in the next update.

It took them 11 months after my first email to fix this bug. 11 months. 11 months. Think about that. 11 months. 11 months to fix the most obvious bug in a word proc
essing app.

And remember the browser hanging? We started noticing this bug 3 years ago. 3 years ago. It's been 3 years since we've been hitting the android team with inquiries about this bug. 3 years. The latest answer we got a few months ago was "we're working on a fix". 3 years. 3 years. 3 years. Think about that. 3 years.

Frankly, I'm through with android as a work system. Google wants to keep it as strictly a gaming platform, they can go ahead without me. What's the point with sticking with an operating system if the team behind it takes 3 years to response to a bug report? 3 years. 11 months for that system's app developer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
N
HP envy x2.

I read a review on the Envy, and it seems the best of the Clover Trail bunch, with the highest performance and battery life. Almost makes me want one, lol!

After trying out 4 different w8 hybrids, I sold the other ones and kept this one. At the time, I only meant to use my envy x2 on the go. Who would have thunk there was a burglar eyeing my place. They went straight into my home office and took my desktop and a few other electronic items in that room. Insurance cleared it, so it was fine. I was going to get another desktop, but kept procrastinating. Then one day I really wanted to play starcraft. So, I took out an old big monitor from the basement and hooked up a mouse and keyboard. And voila, I got a working desktop environment. Surprisingly, starcraft ran great on this thing. That was a few months ago, and I'm still using this setup at home LOL.

For now, I've got no incentive to get something else, because this thing has worked for me in every situation. And on this thing, for now I use 2012 express. I'd imagine it's just as demanding as the full version. Compilation is a little on the slow side, but I use it as an excuse to get up and get some snacks and drink.

So, until I start needing to use something a lot more demanding, there's really no incentive for me to go out and get another i7 desktop.

I sold my tf700 months ago. I still keep a tf101 around even though I don't use it very often.

Why did I defect? Because there is just no comparison between w8 and android. People have a desktop for work, laptop to take around for work, and an android tablet to play games and surf the net. I'm different. I like to have one device that does all or most of that. Situation in my life has forced me to truly use my x2 for everything.

What really annoys me about android is something as simple as ctrl+b, ctrl+c, ctrl+u, etc. still don't work. The android team and android developers add a lot of gaming features to their apps and system tools, but they for some reason they are religiously against adding simple short keys like ctrl+b for document editing? I waited for 3 years for them to add those simple commands.

What's worse, android developers are absolutely the worst at responding to you. It's like they are up there high and mighty and don't care what happens to us lowly mortals. I bought thinkfree office for $10. It didn't have word wrap. So, when I type and the word reaches the end of the line the word wo
uld cut off and go to the next line like that. I emailed the dev company behind thinkfree about it. Got a reply a month later saying they will fix it in the next update. So, I patiently waited. 3 months later, they updated adding all kinds of cool features like sharing directly to dropbox. Still no word wrap. I don't care how many cool features it has, no word wrap means the app was comple
tely useless. Who's going to us
e a word proc
essor that keeps cut
ing off like that?

I spammed them with emails regarding this bug and 6 months later I got a reply saying they will fix it in the next update.

It took them 11 months after my first email to fix this bug. 11 months. 11 months. Think about that. 11 months. 11 months to fix the most obvious bug in a word proc
essing app.

And remember the browser hanging? We started noticing this bug 3 years ago. 3 years ago. It's been 3 years since we've been hitting the android team with inquiries about this bug. 3 years. The latest answer we got a few months ago was "we're working on a fix". 3 years. 3 years. 3 years. Think about that. 3 years.

Frankly, I'm through with android as a work system. Google wants to keep it as strictly a gaming platform, they can go ahead without me. What's the point with sticking with an operating system if the team behind it takes 3 years to response to a bug report? 3 years. 11 months for that system's app developer.

You should stop comparing android and win 8.... you are right, there is no comparison. Android is not trying to compete with windows OS. Maybe windows is trying to compete with android but it is a complete joke comparing the 2. Just pick the right OS for your purpose. Glad you're happy with your machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Back