Startup Repair adjusts image to new hardware!

I edit "Recovered" out of the 7 Dual Boot listing using EasyBCD (may be my mistake) and it reverts to Win7 Dual Boot menu at next boot before it gives the 8 fish animation.

I got rid of 7 Dual Boot menu and go the 8 Dual Boot menu originally by running Startup Repair. You think that's my next step now?

No more EasyBCD for you!!! Now you see why I don't trust any "system utility" that was not written for the OS by Microsoft until the OS has been released a while -- except Winternals because Mark Russinovich is a God. I think if you follow post #36 again you'll be fine. Microsoft has made most of the boot stuff idempotent.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
Will do. Startup Repair "Attempting Repairs" now for about 10 minutes. Gotta let that play out.

I wonder now if I would have ever gotten the 7-style Boot Menu if I hadn't added 8 originally using EasyBCD. Looks like we'll need new tools here for these special operations.

Maybe if I'd made 8 System then it would have knitted 7 into a Dual Boot on it's own with the improved WinRe.

If it can adjust to new hardware I can't wait to see what else it can do. Looks like line commands will still play a part though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
I just found it. Posted it to Mahmoud straightaway - so you are the second to know.

So simple.

Bootems Yes = text menu

Bootems No = UI menu

Easybcd works just fine - it is using win7 bcdedit.exe from the easybcd bin folder.

e.g.

bcdedit /set {emssettings} bootems "Yes"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I just found it. Posted it to Mahmoud straightaway - so you are the second to know.

So simple.

Bootems Yes = text menu

Bootems No = UI menu

As a command line switch to bcdedit or is this a new exe in 8? Who's Mahmoud ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
Mahmoud is CEO of neosmart technologies - they make easybcd.

or

bcdedit /set {emssettings} bootems "No"

Those are the emergency management parameters.

8 seems to use them to decide on the boot menu style.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Mahmoud is CEO of neosmart technologies - they make easybcd.

or
bcdedit /set {emssettings} bootems "No"

Well aren't we connected ;) No offence to Mahmoud and kudos to him for participating. He's got to concur with me regarding Russinovich then ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
Try those commands and check they work for you.

I just did it half a dozen times.

I don't know your thoughts on uncle Mark?

OH - ok I just spotted your earlier post - that's nice - I am sure he will be pleased.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Startup Repair found nothing to repair.

I'm running the Commands in #36 again now.

Can you translate those into line commands, Si, in case I can't get my 8 Boot Menu GUI back which changing 8 to System got me earlier, but which using Easy to edit listings apparently just lost me? I'm now starting to the 7-style Dual Boot menu GUI.

And yes, Si, I have no WinRe on F8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Try those commands and check they work for you.

I just did it half a dozen times.

I don't know your thoughts on uncle Mark?

OH - ok I just spotted your earlier post - that's nice - I am sure he will be pleased.

EasyBCD is ready for Windows 8 CP! | The NeoSmart Files

The text menu is a FEATURE! ;) Uncle Mark? I didn't know there was a family link ;) Honestly I haven't been completely in the Microsoft ecosystem directly since I wrote the DOS version of Schedule+ for them years ago.

http://business.highbeam.com/409748/article-1G1-14429648/dos-twin-schedule

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
Startup Repair found nothing to repair.

I'm running the Commands in #36 again now.

Can you translate those into line commands, Si, in case I can't get my 8 Boot Menu GUI back which changing 8 to System got me earlier, but which using Easy to edit listings apparently just lost me? I'm now starting to the 7-style Dual Boot menu GUI.

And yes, Si, I have no WinRe on F8.

Boot from a Windows 8 install DVD and shift+F10 for a command prompt. What's a "line command" vs. a command line?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
Again all commands completed successfully, but scanos and rebuildbcd found 0 installations. Why?

Worked. Starts to fishy animation, Cool Blue 8 Dual Boot menu. :cool:

Thanks, guys. :thumb:

Can I link #36 as a fix-all for most scrambled multi-boots?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Again all commands completed successfully, but scanos and rebuildbcd found 0 installations. Why?

Worked. Starts to fishy animation, cool blue 8 Dual Boot menu.

Thanks, guys.

Can I link #36 as a fix-all for most scrambled multi-boots?

I've not performed enough testing for that to go live. I'd rather you didn't. I'm still surprised that it rebuilt the multiboot menu by default. I'm sure there are bugs in there that will prevent folks from getting to their "other" OS and then I'm on the hook to figure it out ;) You can post it under your name though ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
OK I'll try to spend more time here to watch the fixes evolve, but it's rarely a slow day at 7F.

What's a "line command"..?
What you type into a Command Line? ;)

This is deja vu from 3 years ago when we were sorting all of these issues in 7, SIW2 reeling out the commands. :geek:

We ended up with the top installation forum on the web to this day. Looks like it may happen all over again. :thumb::thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
OK I'll try to spend more time here to watch the fixes evolve, but it's rarely a slow day at 7F.

What's a "line command"..?
What you type into a Command Line? ;)

This is deja vu from 3 years ago when we were sorting all of these issues in 7, SIW2 reeling out the commands. We ended up with the top installation forum on the web to this day. :geek: Looks like it may happen all over again.

HA! I was there. I think I did the original tutorial for imagex/bcdboot on 7F. I know that when I google for the commands I used our posts come up still ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
HA! I was there. I think I did the original tutorial for imagex/bcdboot on 7F. I know that when I google for the commands I used our posts come up still ;)

Where have you been? :geek:

Working. Re-engineering Fortune 50 host-based DB2 apps to virtualized pods. Enterprise architecture stuff like I used to do for Oracle. Very boring.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
LOL - I think you would like Stephen's site - page loading is bloody slow - but it's a great read :

example:

This is a Britain where metro-hatred and provincial arse-licking has led to such fatuous absurdities as the farcical moving of the entire BBC sports department to Salford months before the Olympic Games come to London. Read that back twice and forbear to weep, groan, roar or wet yourself laughing.

The New Adventures of Stephen Fry

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
LOL - I think you would like Stephen's site - page loading is bloody slow - but it's a great read :

example:

This is a Britain where metro-hatred and provincial arse-licking has led to such fatuous absurdities as the farcical moving of the entire BBC sports department to Salford months before the Olympic Games come to London. Read that back twice and forbear to weep, groan, roar or wet yourself laughing.

The New Adventures of Stephen Fry

Metro-hatred: read back twice and wept, groaned, roared and (nearly) wet myself sobbing. Luddites! System 7 is nothing like iOS!!!

I know, I know that was not the intent of the quote but given the forum I had to link references.

I still can't believe that Win 8 will pick up all your XP forward OS for inclusion in the boot menu automagically even when low level boot management commands are used. I just performed a test on a little Sandy Bridge Celeron box I have here in the shop that had 7 and a sideload of Linux Mint and 8 even picked up the Linux boot. That's fabulous!

Oh, and to your point. I'm partial to Eddie Izzard for my comedic relief -- any transvestite that can complete 43 marathons in 51 days for Sport Relief in spite of having no prior history of long distance running is a bloke in by book.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
Back