Startup Repair adjusts image to new hardware!

I don't think so.

I deleted bootnxt.

Still got the ui boot menu.

bootnxt still not there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yes but you have to make sure you are running the Windows 8 bcdboot so use the fully qualified path like

c:\windows\system32\bcdboot.exe c:\windows /s c: /v

This assumes that c:\windows is 8 and c: is the boot volume

You can run it from winre. What's easy? I've run it from a plain old elevated command prompt within standard mode 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
I don't think so.

I deleted bootnxt.

Still got the ui boot menu.

bootnxt still not there.

It's a placeholder for UEFI boots like io.sys and msdos.sys used to be placeholders in the system root

It's just a clue as to whether the bootfiles were copied to the system root correctly by 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
Yes, so you don't need bootnxt .

Either way you need an active partition on the bios or uefi boot disk with bootmgr/bootnxt and a valid bcd store

That bcdboot command is the same as the one you did earlier.

It should use the system volume as default target .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yes but you have to make sure you are running the Windows 8 bcdboot so use the fully qualified path like

This assumes that c:\windows is 8 and c: is the boot volume

You can run it from winre. What's easy? I've run it from a plain old elevated command prompt within standard mode 8.

EasyBCD Command prompt.

I ran from Elevated CMD in Win8. Results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.8250]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Greg>
C:\Users\Greg>c:\windows\system32\bcdboot.exe c:\windows /s c: /v
BFSVC Error: No process found using \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Boot f
ile.
BFSVC Error: BfspSetSecurityDescriptor(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Boo
t) failed! Last Error = 0x5
BFSVC Error: Error copying boot files from c:\windows\boot\PCAT to \\?\GLOBALROO
T\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Boot! Last Error = 0x5
Failure when attempting to copy boot files.

C:\Users\Greg>

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Greg, post a screenie of diskmgmt window.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yes, so you don't need bootnxt .

Either way you need an active partition on the bios or uefi boot disk with bootmgr/bootnxt and a valid bcd store

That bcdboot command is the same as the one you did earlier.

It should use the system volume as default target .

Should, but doesn't always.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
Capture.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Strange, why is he getting access denied if he is running it from within 8.

@Baarod - he already had 7 on there. Imaged 8 onto the drive.

Moved Active flag to 8.

He might not have 8 winre.wim on there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Strange, why is he getting access denied if he is running it from within 8.

@Baarod - he already had 7 on there. Imaged 8 onto the drive.

Moved Active flag to 8.

Even on 8 permissions are setup on boot to grant access only to system / trusted installer. You've gotta be outside that sandbox or explicitly take ownership and grant access to modify. I thought trying from WinRE was easier to explain.

How'd he image? imagex.exe from WAIK?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
I don't have any trouble running bcdboot from within 8 - or from within 7 - with 8 as system partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
As I said in OP I imaged 8 onto a 7 machine, added it with Easy from 7 then ran Startup Repair which amazingly did the hardware adjustments normally requiring Acronis Universal Restore or Paragon Adaptive Restore.

Trying to get rid of the 7-style Dual Boot Menu I first installed Easy iin 8 to remove 7 and add it back, then moved System flag to 8 which worked to get the 8-style Dual Boot menu but also starts up before to a Vista boot animation for a few annoying seconds.

Can you confirm the syntax to run from installer Repair CMD?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Interesting - you might post bcdedit output and see if that throws any light on it.

(Easy is EasyBcd )

cmd syntax is the same:

find drive letter for win8 partition and use it instead of ? below

bcdboot ?:\windows /s ?:

@Baarod - I think he made an image with Acronis/macrium/something similar of a win 8 system that was already installed on another machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I don't trust EasyBCD in 8. If you are talking about the bcdboot syntax to run from the Windows 8 installer repair command prompt I'd still use:

While you are there I'd also use bootrec.exe to make sure the mbr and boot sector are Windows 8 compliant. You can also use it to scan for the Windows 7 partition and add it to the Windows 8 boot menu:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /scanos
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Do these after bcdboot

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
Boot files successfully created. :)

All bootrec completed successfully, except on /scanos and /rebuildbcd also reported 0 installations found

Reboot to Win8 animation! :thumbsup: All of that trouble for a fish. But it's a blue fish!

Outstanding help. Thanks!

Edit: I went into Easy to edit "recovered" out of he boot listings and it's now gone back to Win7 boot menu before the fish animation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7

All bootrec completed successfully, except on /scanos and /rebuildbcd also reported 0 installations found

Reboot to Win8 animation! :thumbsup: All of that trouble for a fish. But it's a blue fish!

I notice Dual Boot menu dropped the (recovered) label on Win8 but still has it on 7. I can edit in Easy? (trying now)

Yeah, the old man almost always knows what he's talking about before he opens his mouth. This prevents his foot from getting in there ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP

Edit: I went into Easy to edit "recovered" out of he boot listings and it's now gone back to Win7 boot menu before the fish animation.

WHOA! Hold the phone! Are you telling me you got the Win8 multi-boot menu automatically? If so that's NEW and a big new feature!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8CP
I edit "Recovered" out of the 7 Dual Boot listing using EasyBCD (may be my mistake) and it reverts to Win7 Dual Boot menu at next boot before it gives the 8 fish animation. There is no 8 Dual Boot menu which previously followed the 8 fish animation.

I got rid of 7 Dual Boot menu about an hour ago and got the 8 Dual Boot menu by running Startup Repair. You think that's my next step now?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Back