Show of hands, who hasn't and isn't buying the $40 upgrade

Yep, apple products are solid and support is solid. Warranty is good to.

My disinterest always stems from 1). Price 2). Lack of customization 3). Lack of hardware choice. For most people the only thing relevant to them would be #1. #2 and #3 is a non issue for Mac users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Anyway, this poll isn't good, it needs to be updated - there is more options to get windows 8, like the best option - buying full version, because when upgrading always something goes wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj

My disinterest always stems from 1). Price 2). Lack of customization 3). Lack of hardware choice. For most people the only thing relevant to them would be #1. #2 and #3 is a non issue for Mac users.
Yes, for desktop, unless I didn't want to fiddle around, PC is the choice. Laptop is sort of a different story. There isn't much fiddling to be done with Mac laptops--unless running Windows virtually, via remote desktop connection, or via Boot Camp.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner

Yes, for desktop, unless I didn't want to fiddle around, PC is the choice. Laptop is sort of a different story. There isn't much fiddling to be done with Mac laptops--unless running Windows virtually, via remote desktop connection, or via Boot Camp.

For example, I prefer a matte finish screen on laptops. Unsure if Mac gives me that option. Also, I use external esata drives, but Mac doesn't give me that option. That is the kind of stuff I am talking about.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Nope, no matte. The current Macs come with Thunderbolt ports. I think you can go Thunderbolt to esata. I know you can go Thunderbolt to Ethernet and to firewire. Just can't remember about esata.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
I dislike Apple with a passion and wouldn't be seen dead with anything they sell. That's my one-eyed view of Apple. But I call a spade a spade, and many know that. Not everyone likes my opinions, but no one has ever said that I don't stand by my convictions or fail to validate what I believe. Prove me wrong and I'll back you to the hilt, feed me BS and I'm your worst enemy.

That's pretty extreme. Why do you "dislike Apple with a PASSION"? They're just a company that makes and sells products. Just curious.

I'm certainly no "fanboy" of theirs but in taking their products on their own merits I found the iPhone & iPad to be excellent pieces of work. The jury is out on Mac because I have no need of one at this point but I'm told they're pretty good by people who use 'em. Maybe one of these daze I'll buy one just to see what the fuss is about! ;-)

-Max

It's a funny thing I agree. I think it's come about because of a few things:

- Firstly the consistent put down of Windows/Microsoft by Apple fanboys over many years, when in reality, Apple PCs haven't really been fault free etc as claimed. Also, Apple probably wouldn't be here were it not for an investment in Apple by Microsoft many years ago.

- Secondly, I don't like the Apple's walled garden philosophy, where it's the Apple's way or the highway. It's worked for Apple, but I won't go there. It'll be disappointing if Microsoft goes in that direction.

- Thirdly, Apple users always come across as smug, supercilious, gits that think they are better than anyone else because they use Apple products. Some don't even realise this when they look condescendingly at your Windows phone etc.

- Fourthly, I dislike pretentious whitegoods.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Apple users tend to be a higher demographic. they spend money. many Windows users are still using Windows XP and Office 97.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
From time-to-time I consider getting a Macbook just as an experiment. However, to be honest, I just haven't yet heard an argument compelling enough to pry Win7 out of my hands. It's just that good.

Maybe I'll set aside a few bucks and buy one one of these days and stick it in my lab just to play with. Maybe it will do a better job at impressing me than Win8 did. ;)

Even so ... what I've got should probably do me fine for the next 5 to 10 years so maybe I'm just wasting time fiddling with all this stuff. I got code to write! Of course I could load X-Code onto the Mac and fiddle with it awhile and see what the Apple fanboys are so excited about.

Ahh ... sometimes this stuff drives me to distraction!

-Max :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Back