Need Recommendation

LOL

Ya, I guess the video demonstration is much easier to understand than my long winded rambling...

The funny thing is, before I hit play on your video, the start screen shows a dinosaur or something, and I thought you made a video poking fun at me for being as "old as a dinosaur" so to speak, still using DOS commands, LOL...

Regards,
Jason

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8 Pro
For those of you without an Administrator command prompt pinned to your taskbar, here are 2 videos on the subject---

[video=youtube;4sgIBLBeK7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4sgIBLBeK7M[/video]

Another---

[video=youtube;luOeg9HU53Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=luOeg9HU53Q[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
LOL

Ya, I guess the video demonstration is much easier to understand than my long winded rambling...

The funny thing is, before I hit play on your video, the start screen shows a dinosaur or something, and I thought you made a video poking fun at me for being as "old as a dinosaur" so to speak, still using DOS commands, LOL...

Regards,
Jason

I use the dino on all my videos.--- A trademark so to speak. :)

Your instructions were good.
I just like using screenshots & videos because a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Honestly I wouldn't bother with paid for software. The free ones work just as well.

CCleaner is a no-brainer.

Revo Uninstaller does some cleaning.

RegCure is worthy.

Can't think of any other programs from the top of my head right now.

Hi there.

Actually I wouldn't bother with ANYTHING - especially "uninstallers" apart from the built in Windows defender. Ensure your system is up to date (Windows 8.1 update 1). Before installing software just take a backup and restore it if the software doesn't work - it's cleaner and MUCH safer - in any case you should always take regular backups --plenty of FREE software around to do that.

Now to those who install Malwarebytes or similar software to that.

1) POST EVENT Virus detection is simply a waste of time --if you scan your machine and find it's been infected - you don't know WHEN it got infected and WHAT the malware has been doing in the mean time. If you need to scan for malware etc the built in Windows defender works just fine and is updated nearly EVERY DAY.

2) REAL TIME protection is important -- Windows defender again does that perfectly (or as better or worse than anything else out there.

3) AV comparison reports are a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME -- these are usually a) at least a month out of date - so new different malware / viruses might have araisen SINCE the report was compiled and the results could be very different, and b) people use their computers in very different ways --I ran XP for DONKEYS years with no protection whatsoever -- but give somebody else a computer and it would be riddled with malware within 10 mins.

4) Most of the scams these days are "Identity" type hacks -- never give too much info on social media sites. Above all when downloading software from some sites - CHECK VERY CAREFULLY -- the real software you want to download is often hidden amongst zillions of "Green Arrows", trial stuff, video converters and the like and when installing don't just click next next next etc -- choose custom install. A lot of free software comes with baggage these days -- extra toolbars, home page changes, change default browser or applications etc.

(If you MUST use torrents - music, ebooks and video are usually OK - any malware for example in an mp3 file would either be ignored as "noise" by the media player or wouldn't work ===>- invalid file". Don't though load any .exe, .zip,.rar files from these sources). Some torrent places are OK such as some Linux Distros who use torrents (legally) to reduce load on their servers --these are fine and help to ensure that the Software remains FREE. In these cases an exe file is OK but these sites will probably use .iso's for the Linux distribution).

Watch out for fake website masquerading as "Real ones" - like Banks, Tax office, Social security etc etc. Above all never open email attachments unless you know exactly who sent it and don't click on dubious links in the emails.

Now Here's a challenge to all you people swearing by "The latest and Greatest" AV software". - Find me an MP3 or FLAC audio file or an MP4/MKV video file with an infection in it. Now see if it plays in the media player and whether the infection gets on to your machine. Test it in a VM if you want to be safe. You'll have a VERY hard time in finding one of these I'm sure - and most people tend to use "File sharing sites" for these type of files anyway.

My whole take on the entire AV / security industry as far as INDIVIDUALS are concerned (not corporates) is that it's just using most people lack of understanding about how computers / software work and how they should be used has been to construct an ENTIRE INDUSTRY making OODLES and OODLES of money by supplying fairly ineffective products --if these things actually did the job they were supposed to we'd never hear another word about Viruses. My whole take on this is that the best defence IS YOU THE USER USING YOUR MACHINE SAFERLY AND INTELLIGENTLY.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
OK, but why Triceratops ???

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
OK, but why Triceratops ???

Simple--- I like it. :)

It looks fierce but was a plant eater.

I found it on a YouTube video & "captured" it :)

I know this is all off topic but it may be of interest to some reading this thread. dunno-smiley-emoticon.gif

[video=youtube;OwKfm57OcjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OwKfm57OcjQ[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
The triceratops emulates the philosophy of Teddy Roosevelt--
Walk softly but carry a big stick.

I'm a teddy bear but I keep a big stick on hand. :)

Maybe the OP will get interested in learning how to make good screenshots to post here for ease of getting questions answered.

I suggest Postimage - screen capture software / how to take a screenshot the desktop app.
It is really easy to use.
I make my screenshots with it mostly.
Copying & pasting one image onto another is still easier with mspaint.exe.

Good screenshots speed up the helping process. :)

We are here to help you. :)
Feel free to ask anything.

We here at 8 forums will do our best to help you out.--- {FREE,from the kindness of our hearts}
Work on one thing at a time.
Don't get in a rush to do multiple things at once.

Stick with us please. :) applaud.gif

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Perhaps some meditation is needed---

ZEN

Loosen your mind & experience... zen....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
My advice to you is the following: Stop using all those scanning, cleaning, protecting, whatever... tools. Use one anti virus software and (if you really need it to feel save) one extra anti malware scanner (scanner, no extra software with some kind of background scanner or active protection functionality). Refrain from using cleaning software or uninstallers. If they do anything at all they mess up your system. They claim to speet up your pc, protect you, facilitate pc usage... but in fact what they really do is messing around with files and folders no pc amateur should mess around with. And even pc pros are often not aware of what those cleaners, uninstallers, malware scanners... actually do in the background. You will not fix your pc with any of those programs. So now what to do? If you have an setup dvd just backup your data and do a fresh install of Windows. If you only have a recovery cd of recovery partition on your hdd will also have to backup your data and then do a full recovery meaning your system will be reset to factory defaults. After the install/ recovery procedure start with installing one anti virus software of your choice (don't use Northon, my advice is GDATA Internet Security) and this really means one av software only. And henceforth be careful what you download/ click on. And I cannot repeat it enough, stop using all those cleaning, speed up, whatever... tools.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self built
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 Rev. 3
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac GTX 770 Amp 2 GB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    GDATA Internet Security
I would agree to all altae said but for one thing, Uninstallers. A good uninstaller like Revo can prevent a lot of mess most programs leave by accident, by their lousy uninstall routines or by purpose. Very rarely I see a program, specially games that do not leave some garbage in registry or on disk and in Windows. Temp files everywhere and Application Data or App Data folders. Windows Uninstall utility uses only programs uninstall program and do nothing more than if you run that program's uninstall.exe, unwise.exe or whatever. With Revo Uninstaller I didn't have one slightest problem in 5 or more years of use. I have very high trafic of programs being installed, tried and uninstalled on daily basis and did not have a slightest problem that could be attributed to Revo. even managed to get rid of some partially installed/uninstalled programs. Saved me hours if not days of cleaning up leftovers and digging thru registry. During first year of use I used to review every single thing it recommended to delete but later on I just let it do it's job and not a single problem.
If you don't dirty up, there's nothing to clean after.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
If you want honesty - I will give it to you. As someone else suggested, I would highly suggest you get rid of Norton. It is one of the sloppiest pieces of programming I've ever seen, and has been that way for years. It absolutely puts a stranglehold on your system resources and there are so many alternatives out there that do it so much better.

Sorry but this sounds just like the regurgitated FUD of the past posted all over the internet for years. I've been using Norton Internet Security with Windows 8/8.1 since Eights inception and an have had no issues with it. None. Things "might" have been fuddy duddy in years past, but this isn't your grandfather's Norton here as it is much better and slimmer on both PC and resources.

Yeah I know it's fashionable to dis Norton anytime it comes up, but today it's mostly regurgitated stuff of years past. Today Norton is consistently in the top 10 of paid products - The Best Antivirus for 2014 | PCMag.com and here... 15 best antivirus for PC and laptop

And yes, there are many alternatives, just as there are alternatives to the alternatives ;)

My two cents.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
As a professional PC Tech of about 34 years, I have to wholeheartedly Agree with CountMike.

Before I found Revo Uninstaller, I've spent way too many hours scanning the registry for leftovers.

There is also a FREE version, so anybody can afford it. Even the FREE version does an excellent job of removing extraneous junk left over after a Windows Uninstall of some program.

Good Post Mike!

:cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
If you want honesty - I will give it to you. As someone else suggested, I would highly suggest you get rid of Norton. It is one of the sloppiest pieces of programming I've ever seen, and has been that way for years. It absolutely puts a stranglehold on your system resources and there are so many alternatives out there that do it so much better.

Sorry but this sounds just like the regurgitated FUD of the past posted all over the internet for years. I've been using Norton Internet Security with Windows 8/8.1 since Eights inception and an have had no issues with it. None. Things "might" have been fuddy duddy in years past, but this isn't your grandfather's Norton here as it is much better and slimmer on both PC and resources.

Yeah I know it's fashionable to dis Norton anytime it comes up, but today it's mostly regurgitated stuff of years past. Today Norton is consistently in the top 10 of paid products - The Best Antivirus for 2014 | PCMag.com and here... 15 best antivirus for PC and laptop

And yes, there are many alternatives, just as there are alternatives to the alternatives ;)

My two cents.

I agree whole heartedly, I've been using Norton forever and somewhere around 2009, they changed considerable as to hogging resources and generally being a pain in the butt. I only notice Its there when it thinks it found something or blocked Trojan or some other crap. Malwarebytes works with Norton with out interference

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
As a professional PC Tech of about 34 years, I have to wholeheartedly Agree with CountMike.

Before I found Revo Uninstaller, I've spent way too many hours scanning the registry for leftovers.

There is also a FREE version, so anybody can afford it. Even the FREE version does an excellent job of removing extraneous junk left over after a Windows Uninstall of some program.

Good Post Mike!

:cool:
After Free Commander, Revo free edition is a first thing I install in any Windows computer and not only mine. Free Commander (I have payed version of Total Commander) for eazier work with files, including archives and Revo to uninstall anything temporary that has to be installed including drivers. The only program I found that can uninstall Adobe stuff including Flash.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I want to thank you all for your help and advice. I have decided to hire a tech to help me. I hope I can trust him. It is in God's hands. I want to say that hearing from all of you was very special as it felt like for a day my son was back.

Namaste
Susan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I'm glad we could be of some kind of assistance :) Take care.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self built
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 Rev. 3