Need help trying to install Windows 8 on SSD

OK, so then I just copy and paste all the files from the HDD to the SSD? can I do that? sorry if this looks like a stupid question, I'm not very familiar with these things.
Just pick what you want and do C&P. you can still keep Ctr. pressed while you click on files and than transfer them in a batch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
OK, so then I just copy and paste all the files from the HDD to the SSD? can I do that? sorry if this looks like a stupid question, I'm not very familiar with these things.

That will absolutely NOT work. Here is how it's done:

SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System - Windows 7 Help Forums

But since you are not a system person, your best bet is to use this program - it does the job in 3 clicks.

Paragon Migrate OS to SSD - System migration to Solid State Drives (SSD) - Overview

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Damn, I should have waited for your reply, I think I messed this up again, I was copying all the files from one disk to another (just doing C&P ) and it got to a point were it apparently froze ( stopped copying ) so I just cancel it and restarted the PC, now when I get to the windows welcome screen that I put my password to login it would take me back to the same screen over and over...I think it just signs me out automatically..now I can't even access my SSD!

I'm going crazy here I don't know what to do...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Well, I do not want to be scholl teacher. But when you don't know what you are doing, you should wait until you get a qualified answer.

Now you have 3 options:

1. Reset the system from an image - if you have one

2. Reset the system from a system restore point. Those you should have unless you disabled system restore or mucked up the shadowstorage
3. Reinstall - that's a tough one because it is a lot of work. In that case you should first save your data with a live Linux CD or with my toolkit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Well, I do not want to be scholl teacher. But when you don't know what you are doing, you should wait until you get a qualified answer.

Now you have 3 options:

2. Reset the system from a system restore point. Those you should have unless you disabled system restore or mucked up the shadowstorage
3. Reinstall - that's a tough one because it is a lot of work. In that case you should first save your data with a live Linux CD or with my toolkit.

Well, I was just doing what CountMike told me...
anyways, I'm just going to go ahead now and try to reset the system from an image, I guess I would have to download it and do all that installation again.....
I never thought this SSD upgrade would be so much of a pain in the ass....:(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I don't think it is the SSDs fault. It is just another disk. I run 7 SSDs with no problems at all. I think you were victim of operator error, LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Now you have 3 options:

OK, I obviously don't have the iso since I erased it when trying to make space for Linux Live CD....

How can I access system restore? I mean, where is it located?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Since he was using Live Linux, I thought he wanted just to save files from HDD. If he had windows ISO would not need Linux to reinstall system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

I can't do system restore, I don't have the installation disc/iso and it doesn't let me login into Windows. The only operating system that I'm able to use right now is Linux........what can I do from there?

Is there a way to get Windows .iso installed in the USB while using Ubuntu? I tried looking for a Windows 8 iso but I couldn't find it, all I found was an .exe file which I guess is to upgrade from a previous Windows version. I have my Windows product key but I don't have the installation disc since when I bought it I just downloaded it directly from the Microsoft site, I know I should have created a physical disc for cases like this.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
You should be able to burn the iso to disc in Linux with the Brasero Disc Burner. Why don't you try to download the iso from the place where you originally got it from. There should be an option to download if you own a key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
OK, I was able to re-install Windows on the SSD(thanks god!) but my original issue persists, trying to copy all data from one disk to another....I have used many programs and at the end, during the booting I keep getting the same error "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system".
I think the problem here is that when I do the "cloning" thing, it copies everything in the partition, OS included...that's why I get the same error on both drives because it's transferring the malfunction that I already have on my HDD to the SSD.
I think the problem began when I did the fresh installation on the SSD and I didn't disconnect the HDD....is there a way to get the bootmgr back on the HDD? so that way I could have access to that partition and from there move everything to the SSD??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
There seems to be a pretty mess on all your disks. So let's start at the very beginning and take that step by step.

Stepe 1 - download the .iso for the bootable CD of Partition Wizard ( last box on the webpage). Burn that to CD and boot the system with that CD.

Then take a good picture of what that shows on the screen and post that here. Then we'll decide what the best course of action is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
photo.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Disk1 - looks like your SSD

The first partition looks like an active recovery partition. Is this a Dell system.
The second partition is probably your OS. But it is not marked as such

Disk 2 - that must be your HDD

Again, the first partition is too large for a simple EFI partition. It also looks like an active recovery partition.
The second partition probably has the OS but is not marked as such

What we have to try is to get the bootmgr working on one of the disks. You pick the one you want to try first. But you have to disconnect the other disk during that operation.

Take your installation disk and run Automatic Repair. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2843-automatic-repair-run-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
No, it's not Dell, it's an old Gateway PC that I have pretty much kept up to date with some upgrades (Graphics card, CPU, etc)

The bootmgr is perfectly working on my SSD, the problem is not there, it's on the HDD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Then try the automatic repair on the HDD. But disconnect the SSD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
There could be a million reasons for that. You probably lost the OS somehow. Can you reinstall it - but make sure the SSD is disconnected.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I could but wouldn't that erase all the data on the disk? I don't want to lose anything saved in there, that's the whole reason why I'm trying to recover it without having to make a fresh install on my HDD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back