Microsoft wins, even if the PC loses

I am simply stunned by the ridiculous number of "Microsoft will be dead in four years" stories, following Gartner's grim PC forecast three days ago. I offered brief analysis then and promised something later, and this is it. Yesterday, colleague Alan Buckingham posted first: "Microsoft is nowhere near death's door" -- and he absolutely is right.

Throw a rock, and you can't miss a doom-and-gloom armchair analysis. Among the many are "Gartner: Microsoft is dead, Windows has expired, Office has ceased to be" (Computerworld); "How long can Microsoft go on like this?" (InfoWorld); "Apple's ultimate victory over Microsoft" (Motley Fool); and "Gartner may be too scared to say it, but the PC is dead" (ReadWrite). For the most part, all these armchair pundits are mistaken. Hugely.

Source

A Guy

So, moving from DOS and keyboards to GUI and the mouse WASN'T forcing users to work in different ways?

There are clearly certain evolutionary changes that are important and improvements come as technology develops. Like with cars, much of what we accept today is a result of technology improvements, including engineering, manufacturing processes and material development. But because we now have fuel injected engines, airbags, ABS etc that improve safety, handling and the like, the basic interface of a car is still very familiar.

BMW introduced an MPI equivalent in one of their models, which was lambasted extensively by just about everyone. BMW had to run courses for new owners as they were completely baffled by the new control system. I believe that BMW took some notice of the criticisms and made appropriate changes.

That said, the GUI and mouse did not force people to change from what they were used to, as the earlier methods still worked quite well and continued to do so well into the future. What is also important to note is that this was around the time that computers started to become affordable to people and the GUI and mouse made the adoption process easier.

Microsoft has done the opposite.
Really right now? The fact you can't today use DOS/text commands as a main input anymore basically means the GUI forced everyone to use the mouse. You can use command prompt, but that is utterly pointless. No, the GUI forced people from DOS, to use the mouse whether they liked it or not. If that weren't the case, a larger group of people I'd bet still to this day would be using DOS. But hey, choice is choice I guess, and people choose the GUI over DOS.

Command line is utterly pointless, perhaps you can explain why so many of the new Microsoft tools are based in PowerShell then?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Hi there
@Coke Robot

PLEASE PLEASE before posting stuff that could be better left in the realms of "Bovine Scatology" engage brain before opening mouth and try and LEARN something about computers before making the word "Pontificate" appear totally superfluous.

It's quite obvious to me that you've never been NEAR any sort of server (or if you have woe betide the poor users) or had to use any sort of even remotely basic house keeping jobs like scheduled backups, assign user permissions etc etc to say nothing of having to use any sort of serious diagnostic tools all of which are CLI based. Even the simple operation of making a bootable USB install device requires knowledge of the DISKPART command.

The fact that the average user doesn't really generally NEED the command line does NOT mean that it doesn't exist -- and how do you think services are launched BEFORE the GUI even gets initialized.

I really think you should take a short break and go back to school for a bit and enrol on a Windows basic 101 course.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
The Command Line stays. (Mouse as well). That's all.
Seriously guys, we don't we have to debate about this stuff. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
[
Really right now? The fact you can't today use DOS/text commands as a main input anymore basically means the GUI forced everyone to use the mouse. You can use command prompt, but that is utterly pointless. No, the GUI forced people from DOS, to use the mouse whether they liked it or not. If that weren't the case, a larger group of people I'd bet still to this day would be using DOS. But hey, choice is choice I guess, and people choose the GUI over DOS.

Yes, you can use the Command Prompt any time that you wish with any version of Windows and it's often quite a functional tool. Also, the GUI didn't force everyone to use a mouse, keyboard controls still function quite well. The mouse was gladly adopted by the newcomers, as it provided a very functional way to navigate the new found pleasures of computers.

Sure, you can use the keyboard to navigate a GUI, but with difficulty and time. I surely wouldn't want to do that to move around the Desktop icons and then start menu and then to Photoshop or even AutoCAD....

And there is literally nothing being forced by Microsoft, pretty much all the same functions that have been there in Windows for 15 plus years are still there. Sure, some things are changed, but the rest is basically the same. There was no DOS option for Windows 95 to use Windows that way, it forced you to use a mouse, and use it a lot. Was that a bad thing? Obviously not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Actually, there IS a DOS option in Windows 95. Two, actually.

DOS 7 is accessible from within Windows 95, and also, if installed, most other
versions (DOS 6.22 on my setup) is available from outside Windows.

And you CAN, if you are a masochist, operate Windows 95 without a mouse.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
The Command Line stays. (Mouse as well). That's all.
Seriously guys, we don't we have to debate about this stuff. :cool:

Agree. There is nothing to debate about.
The GUI is for the end users (not so tech savvy/general consumers) and the command lines are for the programmers/developers/troubleshooters (the geeks). :zip:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
Back