Microsoft wins, even if the PC loses

I am simply stunned by the ridiculous number of "Microsoft will be dead in four years" stories, following Gartner's grim PC forecast three days ago. I offered brief analysis then and promised something later, and this is it. Yesterday, colleague Alan Buckingham posted first: "Microsoft is nowhere near death's door" -- and he absolutely is right.

Throw a rock, and you can't miss a doom-and-gloom armchair analysis. Among the many are "Gartner: Microsoft is dead, Windows has expired, Office has ceased to be" (Computerworld); "How long can Microsoft go on like this?" (InfoWorld); "Apple's ultimate victory over Microsoft" (Motley Fool); and "Gartner may be too scared to say it, but the PC is dead" (ReadWrite). For the most part, all these armchair pundits are mistaken. Hugely.

Source

A Guy

Win 7 will be with us probably for the next 10 years just like XP. Win 8 would only be for home use with all it's fun and not so fun factors. Big corporations will not adapt win 8 to run their businesses just like what happened to Vista. It is not a very good tool for productivity.

False.

Officially stated Windows 7 support ends 2020, XP support ends this year (after a significant extension). Apparently, when support ends, XP will keep working on users PCs etc. Do you know something the rest of us don't about Windows 7? Most people are assuming that it will be still functioning in 2023, at the very least.
Oh, I guess I should had been more exact since you responded to that in a totally different fashion.

"Win 8 would only be for home use with all it's fun and not so fun factors. Big corporations will not adapt win 8 to run their businesses just like what happened to Vista. It is not a very good tool for productivity."

False.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

Officially stated Windows 7 support ends 2020, XP support ends this year (after a significant extension). Apparently, when support ends, XP will keep working on users PCs etc. Do you know something the rest of us don't about Windows 7? Most people are assuming that it will be still functioning in 2023, at the very least.

Oh, I guess I should had been more exact since you responded to that in a totally different fashion.

"Win 8 would only be for home use with all it's fun and not so fun factors. Big corporations will not adapt win 8 to run their businesses just like what happened to Vista. It is not a very good tool for productivity."

False.

The assumption that you made was that the original author meant 'Windows 7 will be officially supported for another 10 years'. That may not have been the intent, or it may have been the intent. Hence you need to be careful with your wording when replying, especially when trying to be smart.

If the poster meant the former, then you were completely wrong. But if the poster meant the latter, then a reasonable response would have clarified the proposition and educated the individual (and others). As for the final comment made by the poster, you in no way argued against what he stated, but merely made a flippant comment that encapsulated his post. In all cases you failed to give any reasonable or logical response.

I sometimes wonder what is a robot on coke?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

Maybe a tab 'Tips & Tricks' would encourage some positive interaction and understanding of 8.

This right here sounds GR8 in theory, but in practice completely falls through the toilet. It's surprising how in this day and age where there is a digital oracle of information literally at millions of people's finger tips, no one uses it for actual learning and information it seems.

"I had to google how to shutdown Windows 8, Windows 8 sucks!" Wow, you learned how to do something new in 8 that you didn't know before that helped you use the OS, and it sucks because it doesn't work like 7? OK.

I thought forums like this were for more interaction than just going to google.
The tips & tricks board would be for any program, not just 8.
We all google info about every OS. All of us may stumble onto a shortcut or different way of doing things on our own. Those of us who are not ITs and less tech savvy actually need tips & tricks exposed.
You never read a thing from me saying 8 sucks because it doesn't work like 7. I've always been as pro 8 as you can get.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Win 7 will be with us probably for the next 10 years just like XP. Win 8 would only be for home use with all it's fun and not so fun factors. Big corporations will not adapt win 8 to run their businesses just like what happened to Vista. It is not a very good tool for productivity.

False.

Lol :roflmao:

A Guy

A Guy, that is a rude and offensive comment. I don't see anyone cracking a joke on this post. Being a Gold/VIP Member, you should know better. But I forgive you. Peace.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
Excuse me? I was laughing at Coke's reply to your post. You made a thought out statement, and all he said was false. No explanation, no counter argument. I was laughing at that. How is that rude, or offensive? I would tend to agree with what you said originally. But your reply to me was uncalled for, VIP member or not. BTW Gold member means nothing, just that I post a lot. Sheesh. A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
A Guy, Yeah, that's the little hiccup with this forum, you don't know who replies to whom with too many people quoting others. I don't know if it offended Coke, but when you made that remark I thought it was for me. My mistake. Cheers!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
A Guy, Yeah, that's the little hiccup with this forum, you don't know who replies to whom with too many people quoting others. I don't know if it offended Coke, but when you made that remark I thought it was for me. My mistake. Cheers!
. . .like that; Humble. . .:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender

False.

The assumption that you made was that the original author meant 'Windows 7 will be officially supported for another 10 years'. That may not have been the intent, or it may have been the intent. Hence you need to be careful with your wording when replying, especially when trying to be smart.

If the poster meant the former, then you were completely wrong. But if the poster meant the latter, then a reasonable response would have clarified the proposition and educated the individual (and others). As for the final comment made by the poster, you in no way argued against what he stated, but merely made a flippant comment that encapsulated his post. In all cases you failed to give any reasonable or logical response.

Why would I dispute a fact that I already know?

And also at this point, I fail to have to give a "logical" response as of course, you're the first to dispute and argue against it tooth and nail for whatever reason.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
For my work, I only rely on Windows 7 (because of it's ease). Moreover, most of the industries and even people still use Microsoft's softwares like Microsoft office and neither Libreoffice nor Quickoffice is going to replace them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

No worries man, you really don't know me yet. I'm not like that. Rude and offensive are not words you will hear anyone use to describe me. I can see how you perceived it. Don't worry about it :thumbsup:

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast

False.

And also at this point, I fail to have to give a "logical" response as of course, you're the first to dispute and argue against it tooth and nail for whatever reason.

Hi there
sometimes your answers (@Coke Robot) are a bit like what one would expect from the old Oracle in ancient Greek Mythology --the answers were so contrived that they could be interpreted in so many ways that the users always perceived they got the correct answers.

A bit of "Please engage Brain before opening Mouth" might be in order at times before immediately replying to almost every post within seconds.

Anyway for your info here's a little reference about "The great Oracle at Delphi".

The Greeks - <b>The Oracle at Delphi

DELPHI: The Oracle at Delphi

enjoy.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Hi there
sometimes your answers (@Coke Robot) are a bit like what one would expect from the old Oracle in ancient Greek Mythology --the answers were so contrived that they could be interpreted in so many ways that the users always perceived they got the correct answers.

A bit of "Please engage Brain before opening Mouth" might be in order at times before immediately replying to almost every post within seconds.

Anyway for your info here's a little reference about "The great Oracle at Delphi".

The Greeks - <b>The Oracle at Delphi

DELPHI: The Oracle at Delphi

enjoy.

Cheers
jimbo

Again I still have little clue what you're talking about that I'm not usually clear on what I'm saying. Lately, maybe, but that's because having to debate something for the 1,500th time is getting exhausting and really if someone isn't getting it at this point my argument or anyone else's, they never will. Also, I can care less about someone heavily misinterpreting something I said when there was little to misinterpret, if you do that, you must work for the mainstream media....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
That explains everything

...having to debate something for the 1,500th time is getting exhausting...

So you finally got tired of all those debates...
I give you credit for the longevity though. :thumb:
I would have cracked way sooner.

But convincing others is not mandatory but it's just the path you've chosen. Pure Win8 devotion.

Good luck further with any other debates, Oracle. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
...having to debate something for the 1,500th time is getting exhausting...

So you finally got tired of all those debates...
I give you credit for the longevity though. :thumb:
I would have cracked way sooner.

But convincing others is not mandatory but it's just the path you've chosen. Pure Win8 devotion.

Good luck further with any other debates, Oracle. :)

I'll probably keep debating this, but with OTHERS. I've gotten to the point where beating my head with a Surface is more enjoyable than discussing Windows 8 things with certain people.

I'm not really trying to convince, I'm trying to learn people the ways of the Windows 8, for it is not Windows 7, vista, xp, 2000, 98, 95, 3.11, 3, 2, or 1. THAT'S the main issue here is getting that point across, once that happens, more can follow.

And thanks. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Actually, Windows 8 in itself does nothing, it is purely a platform that allows other programs to carry out their functions. Enabling better security features, having improved code to speed processes, providing features that allow other programs to work better are all things that make for a good operating system.

It is not for the operating system to dictate the way in which users like to work, arrange programs, interact with programs etc. That's where Microsoft has failed. It has taken a well known, well liked and respected operating system and turned it on its head without any option to retain that which people know, like and respect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Actually, Windows 8 in itself does nothing, it is purely a platform that allows other programs to carry out their functions. Enabling better security features, having improved code to speed processes, providing features that allow other programs to work better are all things that make for a good operating system.

It is not for the operating system to dictate the way in which users like to work, arrange programs, interact with programs etc. That's where Microsoft has failed. It has taken a well known, well liked and respected operating system and turned it on its head without any option to retain that which people know, like and respect.
So, moving from DOS and keyboards to GUI and the mouse WASN'T forcing users to work in different ways?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
So, moving from DOS and keyboards to GUI and the mouse WASN'T forcing users to work in different ways?

There are clearly certain evolutionary changes that are important and improvements come as technology develops. Like with cars, much of what we accept today is a result of technology improvements, including engineering, manufacturing processes and material development. But because we now have fuel injected engines, airbags, ABS etc that improve safety, handling and the like, the basic interface of a car is still very familiar.

BMW introduced an MPI equivalent in one of their models, which was lambasted extensively by just about everyone. BMW had to run courses for new owners as they were completely baffled by the new control system. I believe that BMW took some notice of the criticisms and made appropriate changes.

That said, the GUI and mouse did not force people to change from what they were used to, as the earlier methods still worked quite well and continued to do so well into the future. What is also important to note is that this was around the time that computers started to become affordable to people and the GUI and mouse made the adoption process easier.

Microsoft has done the opposite.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Well, you can use a mouse in DOS, and it does (in later versions) have a primitive 'GUI'.

And you can always access DOS either alongside or from within Windows.

Oops, there's that darned 'choice' concept again. Drat! :p:p

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.

There are clearly certain evolutionary changes that are important and improvements come as technology develops. Like with cars, much of what we accept today is a result of technology improvements, including engineering, manufacturing processes and material development. But because we now have fuel injected engines, airbags, ABS etc that improve safety, handling and the like, the basic interface of a car is still very familiar.

BMW introduced an MPI equivalent in one of their models, which was lambasted extensively by just about everyone. BMW had to run courses for new owners as they were completely baffled by the new control system. I believe that BMW took some notice of the criticisms and made appropriate changes.

That said, the GUI and mouse did not force people to change from what they were used to, as the earlier methods still worked quite well and continued to do so well into the future. What is also important to note is that this was around the time that computers started to become affordable to people and the GUI and mouse made the adoption process easier.

Microsoft has done the opposite.
Really right now? The fact you can't today use DOS/text commands as a main input anymore basically means the GUI forced everyone to use the mouse. You can use command prompt, but that is utterly pointless. No, the GUI forced people from DOS, to use the mouse whether they liked it or not. If that weren't the case, a larger group of people I'd bet still to this day would be using DOS. But hey, choice is choice I guess, and people choose the GUI over DOS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
[
Really right now? The fact you can't today use DOS/text commands as a main input anymore basically means the GUI forced everyone to use the mouse. You can use command prompt, but that is utterly pointless. No, the GUI forced people from DOS, to use the mouse whether they liked it or not. If that weren't the case, a larger group of people I'd bet still to this day would be using DOS. But hey, choice is choice I guess, and people choose the GUI over DOS.

Yes, you can use the Command Prompt any time that you wish with any version of Windows and it's often quite a functional tool. Also, the GUI didn't force everyone to use a mouse, keyboard controls still function quite well. The mouse was gladly adopted by the newcomers, as it provided a very functional way to navigate the new found pleasures of computers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back