high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Good post Frank1 ,I think your spacebar must be sticking ,lol
I've noticed that (about the space bar). Here's what's happening and it has never happened before. When I post something that has several words, I first type it using MS Word. I then do a copy/paste. The reason I do this way is because I'm not the best typist in the world and it's easier to catch my mistakes this way. But then when I paste it, I can see where there is no space between some of the words. I then edit the post and separate the words. But it seems that either I don't catch all of them or else they revert back to the way they were. I'm going to do the same with this post and see what happens.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
@Frank1 Good point re word spacing. I get the same problem in WinLiveMail and also on this formum site. The other problem I get is the typing format suddenly changes mid-stream, so that when you type a new word in the middle of a sentence, every time you type a new letter, it immediately deletes the letter ahead of where you're typing. If I save the post and then edit it, the problem has disappeared. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Ask the kids to convert the number 30 to binary and then to hexadecimal. Those that come up with 0001 1110 and 1E are the winners.

Why is that so important to average user for email, games & social sites? Am I really stupid for not knowing that without googling it? Or are you really smarter because you know something that I don't?

Sure, if you use the computer like an appliance, it is not important. But if you want to understand how the computer functions, you have to know certain basics - and the binary system is one of the bases of computer operation.

That is not a question of smart or stupid. It is a question of how much you want to know about your system. But if somebody calls himself a computer geek, I expect him to know that stuff.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Ask the kids to convert the number 30 to binary and then to hexadecimal. Those that come up with 0001 1110 and 1E are the winners.

Why is that so important to average user for email, games & social sites? Am I really stupid for not knowing that without googling it? Or are you really smarter because you know something that I don't?

Sure, if you use the computer like an appliance, it is not important. But if you want to understand how the computer functions, you have to know certain basics - and the binary system is one of the bases of computer operation.

That is not a question of smart or stupid. It is a question of how much you want to know about your system. But if somebody calls himself a computer geek, I expect him to know that stuff.

Ahh... there within lies the answer to your anguish. Your school has you teaching the wrong class. You should be teaching computer programing or whatever advanced computer knowledge is called.
Instead
They have you teaching students wanting to learn simple computer basics.
When older people get a computer and sign up for classes they are basically asking for:
  1. where to type address
  2. how to clink a link or
  3. how to copy/paste addresses
  4. how to save a site in favorites
  5. how to google
  6. how to you tube
  7. how to social site
  8. how to download or copy online pictures
  9. how to find what they saved at a later time
  10. how to blog

It's up to the teacher to include

1. warnings about popup computer scans and other malware
  2. inform them about security

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Looking at the begin posts... yes very recognizable by looking around.
I'm not even gonna begin to argue here about old vs new.

Those of us who are old were once new.
And all of us who are new we'll get old.

But back to Win8:
Every OS has its flaws.
Yes the Start Screen can get 10miles long but I don't care as long as the search functionality works, you type in the first 3 letters of the program you want and it's instantly shown.

The looks will probably get more refined in the next version but all works.

Complaining won't help much here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

Ahh... there within lies the answer to your anguish. Your school has you teaching the wrong class. You should be teaching computer programing or whatever advanced computer knowledge is called.
Instead
When older people get a computer and sign up for classes they are basically asking for:
  1. where to type address
  5. how to google
  6. how to you tube
  7. how to social site
  10. how to blog

Right, there are plenty of classes for that stuff - even 'Introduction to XP'. But my classes are clearly marked as 'advanced' and the people know that ahead of time. I also made a couple of classes where no prior knowledge was required - on general sujects.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Instead
  1. where to type address
  5. how to google
  6. how to you tube
  7. how to social site
  10. how to blog

Right, there are plenty of classes for that stuff - even 'Introduction to XP'. But my classes are clearly marked as 'advanced' and the people know that ahead of time. I also made a couple of classes where no prior knowledge was required - on general sujects.

I guess I owe you an apology whs. For not understanding that you were talking about Advanced classes.
I have helped many people learn the basics for average computer users and advised them about security to my best knowledge.
Knowledge gained through groups like this one since 2002 when I retired becausre of disability.
That makes me the go-to person for my friends when they have problems.
Out of all your msgs 20 23 25 29 32 35 44 48 only #32 would lead me to believe you were talking about Advanced training.
Your original msg #20 led me to believe you were talking about basics in part because of your wording
"Ask the kids to convert the number 30 to binary and then to hexadecimal. Those that come up with 0001 1110 and 1E are the winners." which led me to believe you were talking about young children instead of young goats.

You really peaked my curiosity about one thing, in which country does moronic not mean something demeaning like dumb or stupid?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
You really peaked my curiosity about one thing, in which country does moronic not mean something demeaning like dumb or stupid?
I have never heard it in any other language. But friends around here use it all the time and there is where I picked it up - I guess without really studying the finer meaning. Maybe 'dumb' would have been a better word. Or how about 'intellectually challenged'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
pcRat--I was the first to come down on WHS for using that word. He later admitted that it could have been too harsh of a word. Perhaps you should read my post #40. It's food for thought for anyone who participates in this type of discussion forum; and hopefully put an end to grilling him about using the word.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
Frank, thanks for the support. But I don't feel grilled. I have seen enough people in my life to be able to distinguish between the smart ones and the not so smart ones - regardless how you call them. And I am not a supporter of this 'political correctness' trend. Things should be called the way they are.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

You need to understand binary, so that bits (b) and bytes (B) make sense.
Once you understand bits and bytes, you can make "informed" decisions, like what Internet package to sign up for.

Knowing the difference between binary and decimal, lets you can understand why your PC says, the HDD you just bought is only 1.8TB, when the shop said it was 2TB.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
As I see it, unless if you're a Linux computer geek or a Windows programmer, I don't find how knowing binary language is hugely helpful. Yes, you definitely should know about it, but not that in depth as what this whole sentence is in binary.

A technologically competent person that knows lots of about computing technology should know in very large depth about Windows and even Linux, not just a superficial knowledge, but a through knowledge of it. Bits and bytes should be known about FOR SURE.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Now I remember, old timers complained about that change, as well as front wheel drive being unsafe, anti-lock brakes, power steering on semi trucks would make them lose control

I don't like front wheel drive and ABS is not an issue since I haven't had a car with ABS for years. Moving the high beam switch was really more like adding the QuickLaunch bar to windows than whatever MicroSquash has done to the Windows shell.

It's odd that I went from Win Me to Win XP with any issues and then went from XP to 7 without any issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Now I remember, old timers complained about that change, as well as front wheel drive being unsafe, anti-lock brakes, power steering on semi trucks would make them lose control

I don't like front wheel drive and ABS is not an issue since I haven't had a car with ABS for years. Moving the high beam switch was really more like adding the QuickLaunch bar to windows than whatever MicroSquash has done to the Windows shell.

It's odd that I went from Win Me to Win XP with any issues and then went from XP to 7 without any issues.
I really don't like front wheel drive, ESPECIALLY in the winter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
So Barnabas, if one of your students says they are going to buy a new computer with 8 installed how will you respond? By telling them not to because 8 is crap and buy 7 instead?

Not my concern anymore than it's my concern if they want to buy a Fiat.

I believe the majority of people not in school or working use computers for email, games and social sites.

The majority of people who use computers for school primarily use them for email and games too.

They don't understand how icons get on their desktop, much less know how remove, rearrange or hide them.
They don't know how to navigate thru folders.

They don't want to know, anymore than they want to know why they should downshift on a hill or why they should turn into a skid.[/quote]

For a computer teacher to come here, complaining how smart those idiots aren't after paying him to teach them is ......
They aren't the idiots

My job isn't to teach them the basics of Windows. When I taught high performance driving I didn't expect my students to know what trailing throttle oversteer is but I did expect them to know how to check the air in their tires and start the engine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
A good teacher believes that there is no such thing as a stupid question. The IT industry is not littered with good teachers. - Me

There are stupid questions like, "If I go off the track and hit that tree will it damage my car?"

There are also stupid people who ask questions and then ignore you while you are answering the question.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Here's a sad example of what people use their computers for and why they know so little about anything other than Facebook and Skype.

In 2011 my daughter started college and needed the obligatory laptop computer. Last year she told me that she needed a new computer and I asked why. Not because it wouldn't run some program that she needed for class. Oh, noooo. There was some problem with the video driver and she couldn't watch YouTube videos.

Talking to college students who schlep their computers everywhere, I ask them if they use them to write papers or do lab reports while on campus. The answer is most often, "No, I usually use it to watch YouTube or Skype with my friends."

Back to my original point. Windows 8 looks like it is great for people who don't want to learn.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Computers for school is a joke. We all went thru school without a computer. I submit that the kids learn less with the computers than without because they are constantly sidetracked by all the facebooks, skypes, YouTubes and alike. Plus they stop using their neurons in their head.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back