Installing XP AFTER Win 8?

Heah sl2222 not sure that is my issue. My XP runs fine on the Old HP box. I was wondering if the drivers are my issue. Like I mentioned I was able to get it starting to load but after 20 seconds after the XP splash screen comes up it stops and reboots to Win 8
WIn XP will run fine on the old HP so there is nothing wrong with the install. I just was not sure if I would have to reinstall it for some reason. If not I am good. DO you have any suggestions?

The HP OEM manufacturer Win XP licence is NOT TRANSFERABLE.

theog do you think that is my issue? I am trying not to lose the thousands of dollars of software I have on my XP drive. If I have to reinstall all my software is toast. Most will not run under WIn 8 this is the reason I am trying to add the drive intact. Some of it is not supported anymore so if I have an issue its gone. My Office Pro 2007 alone will cost me big bucks if I lose this drive let alone all my audio studios and vegas video. Mostly all of it will not run in Win 8 so I am trying to save this mess.
I never thought about the license issue. Can anyone verify that this will not work because of a license issue. I thought MS stop all software support for XP (not updates) but key support. I tried to buy a key last year and they said no longer supported.
What a mess. I am one of those people that buys software and I guess I will be one of those who will lose a ton of money now too.
Does anyone know if the license thing is why it will not run in the new desktop? Makes me more willing to find bootleg stuff. At least that way I would not lose like I am now.

The HP OEM licence is only for PC that it came with.

You can do a Repair Install use a New Retail/OEM licence.
Repair Windows XP by Performing a Repair Install (Part 1 of 2)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I already have that but if you want to run an old game forget the virtual thing.
:(
Why not download Virtual Box (free) and create a VM of XP that way you won't have all the headaches of making a dual boot.

View attachment 16945

Win XP will not dual boot with Windows 8 x64 UEFI mode.

no, my xp was installed on a separate drive.
right now if I disconnect the win 8 drive xp boots fine.
OR..I can leave all drives connected and boot the xp drive thru the bios. (which is what i'm doing now)
easybcd will not get the xp menu item into the win 8 boot mgr. tried all different ways.

Have u tried having the xp drive installed as the ONLY drive and then see what happens?

sl2222 you said you were able to get your XP running in 8? Did you reinstall on drive under 8? I did get to boot from usb and that did not work either. Should I use easybcd? So far I have just tried to boot from my XP drive.
I am lost.

Win XP will not dual boot with Windows 8 x64 UEFI mode.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I'm pretty sure people have been successful if you install win 8 while xp is in the existing system. u can get xp to boot from the 'earlier version of windows' after modifying the boot menu.

Win XP will not dual boot with Windows 8 x64 UEFI mode.[/QUOTE]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I've never understood why people make such a song and dance about multi boot. I have built several over the years using the same system - 1 OS per drive.

Method - connect 1st drive only, and install 1st OS. Disconnect 1st drive, connect 2nd drive only + install 2nd OS. Repeat as required. When each OS is OK, connect all drives and set BIOS to boot from drive with most used OS. When you need an alternative OS select boot menu at start up (F11 for me) and pick the drive with the OS you need.

This method works with XP, Windows 7 + 8, Ubuntu, or any combination. If you change your mind in the future, you can add or remove a drive/OS, reformat or whatever. Each drive/OS has its own boot info.

Simple - unless you were stupid enough to buy a big brand Windows 8 pc with a locked BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    self build
    CPU
    i7-2600K
    Motherboard
    MSI Z68A-GD80
    Memory
    Mushkin 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD5770
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    dual 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2x 1920*1080p
    Hard Drives
    3x Seagate 2TB
    PSU
    Coolermaster GX750
    Cooling
    be quiet Dark Rock advanced
    Internet Speed
    60/15 Mbps
    Other Info
    Cinema 4D user
that is exactly how my system is running now. I was bound and determined to get xp on the win 8 boot menu but alas, i couldn't do it and I tried everything.
The way it works now is just as good except I have to be aware at boot time (no waiting at a menu) to press 'del' to get to the bios.
It was more of a principle to me. :)

I've never understood why people make such a song and dance about multi boot. I have built several over the years using the same system - 1 OS per drive.

Method - connect 1st drive only, and install 1st OS. Disconnect 1st drive, connect 2nd drive only + install 2nd OS. Repeat as required. When each OS is OK, connect all drives and set BIOS to boot from drive with most used OS. When you need an alternative OS select boot menu at start up (F11 for me) and pick the drive with the OS you need.

This method works with XP, Windows 7 + 8, Ubuntu, or any combination. If you change your mind in the future, you can add or remove a drive/OS, reformat or whatever. Each drive/OS has its own boot info.

Simple - unless you were stupid enough to buy a big brand Windows 8 pc with a locked BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
mancman That is exactly what I am trying to do. I bought a new HP with 8 installed. I have an XP drive from my old HP running great with all the software I am trying to keep. I can get at the bios but the drive will start loading and when it gets to the XP splash screen it reboots. I feel its because I do not have the drivers for the new board. I am not a techie so I do not know how to get the new drivers into my XP. The only way I ever did that was when the system was new and it sought out drivers for printers and the like but I think the system drivers go on at install am I correct?
My issue is I cant reinstall the XP because #1 I will lose all my web installed software (have a ton of it) from years ago when it installed from the web and you did not get the files. My XP license went invalid when I had my processor fry on the old system and I installed a new one. I had the system on Hard Drive so it did not matter until I tried to lay down a fresh install after virus issues and I found out the serial # on the new chip was different. HP no longer had the restore discs (this system is 10 years old) so they told me to call Microsoft, buy they were no longer supporting the keys for XP so I have to keep this drive intact.
I have software on this drive that is no longer supported like all my audio studios Acid and Sound forge, Quickbooks Pro that is no longer supported (2008) but I paid $500 for it and I do not want to have to buy a new one when this one works great but to get a new key would be impossible. I have 10 years worth of software that I use every day that I would lose 75% if I am forced to give up this XP drive.
Does anyone know how I can get the board drivers into XP so I can get this thing going with a 2 drive 2 OS setup?

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    maybe 8 and XP
Actually I have a 2nd multi boot method that I recently deployed to put Windows 3.11, Windows 98, Windows 2000 and XP all on one drive (just to see if I could).

I used the free bootable cd from Partition Wizard to create, make active and hide each partition in turn (I had to hide installed OS's because early Windows versions used to see the next OS as an upgrade). After install I used the very old XOSL boot loader from Sourceforge to make a menu. Nowadays I use VMware to play with old OS's.

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

XOSL-OW | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

01.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self build
    CPU
    i7-2600K
    Motherboard
    MSI Z68A-GD80
    Memory
    Mushkin 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD5770
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    dual 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2x 1920*1080p
    Hard Drives
    3x Seagate 2TB
    PSU
    Coolermaster GX750
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    60/15 Mbps
    Other Info
    Cinema 4D user
cybor - if you're trying to put an old xp drive into a new, different machine I don't think its possible. I've read on seven forums of people doing it with Windows 7 with some success. You can't really swap system disks around, but you can hook them up to copy any data worth retrieving.

You may have to cut your losses and upgrade to newer software. If you spent 500 bucks and had good use for a few years, you've had your money's worth.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self build
    CPU
    i7-2600K
    Motherboard
    MSI Z68A-GD80
    Memory
    Mushkin 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD5770
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    dual 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2x 1920*1080p
    Hard Drives
    3x Seagate 2TB
    PSU
    Coolermaster GX750
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    60/15 Mbps
    Other Info
    Cinema 4D user
Thanks for the info mancman. xosl won't boot anything later than xp right?
I see I have to do more studying.
and i know there must be a way to get an xp os onto a win 8 boot menu at any time.
someday i may figure it out or more likely run into a solution provided by a much more knowledgeable guy than me. (which isn't hard to do)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
sl2222 - I have only used XOSL up to XP, so can't advise on more recent OS.

Although I use the '1 OS per drive' method, I have tried the official Microsoft way of install earliest OS first, then install progressively later OS's which gives you a boot menu automatically, and does work. Its just that my method is more flexible and avoids the 'eggs in one basket' problem.

I'm sure I've read on seven forums about people installing multiboot OS in the wrong order, but I can't say if it applies to Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self build
    CPU
    i7-2600K
    Motherboard
    MSI Z68A-GD80
    Memory
    Mushkin 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD5770
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    dual 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2x 1920*1080p
    Hard Drives
    3x Seagate 2TB
    PSU
    Coolermaster GX750
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    60/15 Mbps
    Other Info
    Cinema 4D user
mancman That is exactly what I am trying to do. I bought a new HP with 8 installed. I have an XP drive from my old HP running great with all the software I am trying to keep. I can get at the bios but the drive will start loading and when it gets to the XP splash screen it reboots. I feel its because I do not have the drivers for the new board. I am not a techie so I do not know how to get the new drivers into my XP. The only way I ever did that was when the system was new and it sought out drivers for printers and the like but I think the system drivers go on at install am I correct?
My issue is I cant reinstall the XP because #1 I will lose all my web installed software (have a ton of it) from years ago when it installed from the web and you did not get the files. My XP license went invalid when I had my processor fry on the old system and I installed a new one. I had the system on Hard Drive so it did not matter until I tried to lay down a fresh install after virus issues and I found out the serial # on the new chip was different. HP no longer had the restore discs (this system is 10 years old) so they told me to call Microsoft, buy they were no longer supporting the keys for XP so I have to keep this drive intact.
I have software on this drive that is no longer supported like all my audio studios Acid and Sound forge, Quickbooks Pro that is no longer supported (2008) but I paid $500 for it and I do not want to have to buy a new one when this one works great but to get a new key would be impossible. I have 10 years worth of software that I use every day that I would lose 75% if I am forced to give up this XP drive.
Does anyone know how I can get the board drivers into XP so I can get this thing going with a 2 drive 2 OS setup?

Thanks

How to, in post 41.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
theog I looked at that but the first thing you need to do is boot from the install discs. I have the oem HP discs but they wont work because the processor was replaced and the ser# does not match. As I stated HP was called and they no longer had the install discs for my system (9 or 10 years old) and they said they could not get me a new key. I then tried Microsoft and they were no longer supporting XP keys so I was out of luck.

macman... I spoke to the HP tech dept before I bought this new system and explained to him exactly what i needed to do and he told me I could do it. Told me to Google it and I would find the detailed instructions. That is how I found this forum but to date I have no instructions and you inform me I cant do it. Just to update it would cost me several thousands of dollars to re buy all the software I will lose. The Quickbooks is just one of dozens of high dollar software packages I would have to replace and that is insane since these packages work flawlessly and I am the legal registered owner of them all. I have not bootlegged or stolen any of these. it is insane that I will have to take a loan out to re-buy all the software that still runs perfectly because of a new OS.

Can you explain why I cant run the XP drive in the new system? Is it because of the drivers? Or because there is no way to get those drivers into the running XP system? I am not a tech so I am asking only trying to understand. Its nuts that I will have to keep this old HP running and have another computer because I cant find a way to add this drive to the new system.

Any explanation will be appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    maybe 8 and XP
theog I looked at that but the first thing you need to do is boot from the install discs. I have the oem HP discs but they wont work because the processor was replaced and the ser# does not match. As I stated HP was called and they no longer had the install discs for my system (9 or 10 years old) and they said they could not get me a new key. I then tried Microsoft and they were no longer supporting XP keys so I was out of luck.

macman... I spoke to the HP tech dept before I bought this new system and explained to him exactly what i needed to do and he told me I could do it. Told me to Google it and I would find the detailed instructions. That is how I found this forum but to date I have no instructions and you inform me I cant do it. Just to update it would cost me several thousands of dollars to re buy all the software I will lose. The Quickbooks is just one of dozens of high dollar software packages I would have to replace and that is insane since these packages work flawlessly and I am the legal registered owner of them all. I have not bootlegged or stolen any of these. it is insane that I will have to take a loan out to re-buy all the software that still runs perfectly because of a new OS.

Can you explain why I cant run the XP drive in the new system? Is it because of the drivers? Or because there is no way to get those drivers into the running XP system? I am not a tech so I am asking only trying to understand. Its nuts that I will have to keep this old HP running and have another computer because I cant find a way to add this drive to the new system.

Any explanation will be appreciated.

Have you tried to boot your XP drive without any other drive connected to the computer? If so what were the results?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I think he tried that but if he can get it to run as the only drive then he can get it to run as a second drive. He just won't be able to have a multi-boot option in win 8. I'm sure he doesn't care about that as long as he can run it.

Edit: on a side note, Cybor, do u have the installation software for your old programs or do u NEED them to run on that drive because they're already installed and u can't re-install?

Have you tried to boot your XP drive without any other drive connected to the computer? If so what were the results?[/QUOTE]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
labeeman.. yes I first tried to boot it usb and it started loading and got to the XP splash screen and then rebooted and it went to the Win 8 drive and booted Win 8. I then installed the drive internally and set the boot device to the (XP) drive while leaving the Win 8 disc installed. It did the same as before. I then removed the Win 8 disc (disconnected the signal and power connector ) and set the XP as the only boot drive and it did the same, start loading to the splash screen but this time it went to XP boot menu giving me the options of start Windows Normally, Safe Mode you know the menu. I tried safe mode and results were the same.

I feel it does not have the correct mainboard drivers and bites it and reboots. What do you think?

As an update this same drive boots flawlessly in the old HP computer when installed internally but will not boot from the usb on it. It does the same thing it does on the Win 8 system when booting from usb. Not sure if that matters. This drive is a brand new Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm sata drive 500gb. I cloned my old HP drive to this so I would not jeopardize the original disc playing with it trying to get it to work on Win 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    maybe 8 and XP
sl2222 I have most of the original discs that I bought on discs. Most will not run under Win 8. Several of the real costly ones like Quickbooks Pro, Sound Forge Studio and Acid studio mixman studio, Retrospect backup, Pinnacle video and others no longer support those versions, a few where sold to other companies and the old versions are not supported, some like Quickbooks no longer support the older stuff and will not offer any reinstall support. They force you to buy the newest version. Some just do not exist any longer and there is no tech at all.
Then there are the things like I bought as web installed packages like all my plugins for Sound Forge and Pinnacle where I do not have a physical file to reinstall. I do video and have a ton of utilities like video convertors and the like which almost all were web installs and I do not have a file. Most offered to sell me a physical disc but I never thought I would need it as long as I kept things backed up so I did not spend the extra money on them. I had a year to reinstall from the web but most are longer than that when I bought them.
Then I have apps for my mobile devices that are web installed which include database software that are costly and I need them to link to my devices and they are good for only one install so if I need to change it costs me all over again.

As one person posted just bite the bullet and re-buy everything, well if he will buy them for me I will be glad to do it but I do mainly free work for non profits so I cant afford to re-buy what has taken me years to own. I use most of them all the time so it would be devastating to lose them. Worst thing is they all work why should I re-buy them?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    maybe 8 and XP
sl2222 remember both systems are HP's the old one and the new one so do you think that would be the case? I feel it is a driver issue. Does anyone know if that might be the case? When I tried booting into XP safe mode when the drive was installed as the only drive in the new computer it started loading the drivers and when it got to a certain driver it said hit enter to load (started with a s) do not remember what is was) when I hit enter is when it rebooted. I know it is driver related. Just not smart enough to know what to do to fix it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    maybe 8 and XP
labeeman.. yes I first tried to boot it usb and it started loading and got to the XP splash screen and then rebooted and it went to the Win 8 drive and booted Win 8. I then installed the drive internally and set the boot device to the (XP) drive while leaving the Win 8 disc installed. It did the same as before. I then removed the Win 8 disc (disconnected the signal and power connector ) and set the XP as the only boot drive and it did the same, start loading to the splash screen but this time it went to XP boot menu giving me the options of start Windows Normally, Safe Mode you know the menu. I tried safe mode and results were the same.

I feel it does not have the correct mainboard drivers and bites it and reboots. What do you think?

As an update this same drive boots flawlessly in the old HP computer when installed internally but will not boot from the usb on it. It does the same thing it does on the Win 8 system when booting from usb. Not sure if that matters. This drive is a brand new Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm sata drive 500gb. I cloned my old HP drive to this so I would not jeopardize the original disc playing with it trying to get it to work on Win 8

If you have a install disk and get it to boot you might be able to do a repair on your XP clone. If you cannot get your install disk to boot you are up a creek without a paddle. You might also check with the OEM for XP drivers.

the other thing to check very important is how the hard drives are used and set the bios in the new machine to the same settings as the old machine AHCI or not. Try that first.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

Post 28.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Back