Installing XP AFTER Win 8?

Anyone out there that can help with this?
Win 8 booting fine. I can also boot into XP if I change the boot device in the bios.
HOW can I get the win xp menu item to work? I get the ntldr error.
I've tried a bunch of options in the boot.ini file - multi(0) etc and also scsi(0) etc
And I put the 3 files needed on the root of my win 8 drive also. (boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect)
the xp system is x64 and operates under sata although it is connected to a port that is configured as ide not ahci. I know my sata storage is working well cause I can use gpt data disks while i'm in xp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
This is probably a long shot but what about Grub, no idea how it works with Windows 8 though, so anything you do don't blame me if it goes wrong.
I know years ago it would handle two drives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
yeah, i wish i knew linux enough to play around. i have images of my 2 drives so i can test it out but this is getting old. i can't believe there isn't a built-in WORKING bcd editor by now that can at least handle their own friggin os's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
yeah, i wish i knew linux enough to play around. i have images of my 2 drives so i can test it out but this is getting old. i can't believe there isn't a built-in WORKING bcd editor by now that can at least handle their own friggin os's.

Yeah, years ago I used to do this sort of stuff all the time, I've had 3 hdds hooked up,Linux was a good way of doing it because i used to run it as well. But like I said earlier, it's a headache and that's why I stopped doing it, now I just swap drives, only takes a second if you keep one side of the PC open.

My Computer

System One

• OS
i have my case open most all the time.
actually it's not that big of a deal right now because i don't even need to get into the case.
if i could get the legacy usb to work at post time it'd only be 3 presses to boot to xp. :)
del - to get to bios
press the screen button for Boot Manager (and my touch screen works at this point)
press the xp drive in the list and it boots.

right now I have to use a ps2 keyboard cause my wireless one isn't recognized at boot. (another minor problem i'm working on) :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
i have my case open most all the time.
actually it's not that big of a deal right now because i don't even need to get into the case.
if i could get the legacy usb to work at post time it'd only be 3 presses to boot to xp. :)
del - to get to bios
press the screen button for Boot Manager (and my touch screen works at this point)
press the xp drive in the list and it boots.

right now I have to use a ps2 keyboard cause my wireless one isn't recognized at boot. (another minor problem i'm working on) :)

Yeah, I always had a ps2 just for those occasions, like I said it can be a headache, even worse when something goes wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Ok here is what I came up with. I bought the system I wanted and it has the Joshua motherboard. Desktop is an HP P7-1423W. I installed my XP drive in the empty bay. It is a sata drive. I disabled secure boot, enabled legacy mode, and I was able to pick the XP drive as a boot drive. I restarted the system it started loading the XP splash screen came up and it loaded for 15 seconds then it rebooted and Win8 came up again.
If I go into the file manager I can see the XP drive folders. Am I right to assume I may be needing drivers for the motherboard?
I am so close to getting this to work. I would not mind having to pick a boot drive this way but getting an easier way to do it would be nice.
My problem is I am not a tech and this is way over my head. With help I will get this going. I have not used easybcd would that help? I have found the drivers for the board which are Vista, XP, 7+8. If that is my issue how do I get them into XP so they will load?
I have the XP drive backed up but my XP key no longer works because I changed out the processor on the XP computer a few years ago and the ser# is now different. I never knew that was an issue until last year when I tried a new OS install (virus issue) and it would not work. I contacted MS and they told me I would have to contact HP because the OS was pre installed. I called HP and they said I would have to get new discs but they no longer had them. So I am stuck with having to keep it intact.

Any suggestions?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    maybe 8 and XP
Look for a XP copy on Ebay.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
it sounds like you're out of luck with that particular copy of xp. were u concerned about losing software programs on it?
U could probably pick up a cheap copy like labeeman said.
you can still save all the data on the old drive.
u could get it to boot but that's not your problem. activation is.

on a side note, i gave up getting the xp os on the win 8 boot menu. I did get legacy usb working so it's just 1 keyboard press and 2 screen touches to get into xp.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Heah sl2222 not sure that is my issue. My XP runs fine on the Old HP box. I was wondering if the drivers are my issue. Like I mentioned I was able to get it starting to load but after 20 seconds after the XP splash screen comes up it stops and reboots to Win 8
WIn XP will run fine on the old HP so there is nothing wrong with the install. I just was not sure if I would have to reinstall it for some reason. If not I am good. DO you have any suggestions?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    maybe 8 and XP
well I lied I can see the folders on the XP drive in win 8 but when I open them there are no files. They are there if I use the drive in the old HP. What can I do?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    maybe 8 and XP
edit: yes, i just saw your reply. just get on the old hp and copy any data u want to a thumb drive and your problem is solved.

can u boot to safe mode? if so, then u may be able to rectify things that way.

i thought u were also talking about activating after changing the system because u mentioned your key no longer works.

Heah sl2222 not sure that is my issue. My XP runs fine on the Old HP box. I was wondering if the drivers are my issue. Like I mentioned I was able to get it starting to load but after 20 seconds after the XP splash screen comes up it stops and reboots to Win 8
WIn XP will run fine on the old HP so there is nothing wrong with the install. I just was not sure if I would have to reinstall it for some reason. If not I am good. DO you have any suggestions?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
well I lied I can see the folders on the XP drive in win 8 but when I open them there are no files. They are there if I use the drive in the old HP. What can I do?

Copy them to a thumb drive on your old box. They are cheap.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info

The HP OEM manufacturer Win XP licence is NOT TRANSFERABLE.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
theog do you think that is my issue? I am trying not to lose the thousands of dollars of software I have on my XP drive. If I have to reinstall all my software is toast. Most will not run under WIn 8 this is the reason I am trying to add the drive intact. Some of it is not supported anymore so if I have an issue its gone. My Office Pro 2007 alone will cost me big bucks if I lose this drive let alone all my audio studios and vegas video. Mostly all of it will not run in Win 8 so I am trying to save this mess.
I never thought about the license issue. Can anyone verify that this will not work because of a license issue. I thought MS stop all software support for XP (not updates) but key support. I tried to buy a key last year and they said no longer supported.
What a mess. I am one of those people that buys software and I guess I will be one of those who will lose a ton of money now too.
Does anyone know if the license thing is why it will not run in the new desktop? Makes me more willing to find bootleg stuff. At least that way I would not lose like I am now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    maybe 8 and XP
i'm not theog but licensing will NOT prevent u from booting and the same key for office etc will still work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
sl2222 you said you were able to get your XP running in 8? Did you reinstall on drive under 8? I did get to boot from usb and that did not work either. Should I use easybcd? So far I have just tried to boot from my XP drive.
I am lost.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    maybe 8 and XP
sl2222 you said you were able to get your XP running in 8? Did you reinstall on drive under 8? I did get to boot from usb and that did not work either. Should I use easybcd? So far I have just tried to boot from my XP drive.
I am lost.

Does your XP drive boot on your new box with no other drives connected? Try that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
Does anyone know if the license thing is why it will not run in the new desktop? Makes me more willing to find bootleg stuff. At least that way I would not lose like I am now.

its most likely a driver issue ,the new computer stops load because of the old xp motherboard and device drivers .

for keys for you software i would hook xp drive back into old computer and run Belaric adviser and get all the keys for your old software ,then all you would need is the software disks or Downloads od the .exe to reload winxp after you reinstall it to the new computer ,but you will need a new winxp key also ans already said the oem will not /should not work

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer. Software license management, IT asset management, cyber security audits, and more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
no, my xp was installed on a separate drive.
right now if I disconnect the win 8 drive xp boots fine.
OR..I can leave all drives connected and boot the xp drive thru the bios. (which is what i'm doing now)
easybcd will not get the xp menu item into the win 8 boot mgr. tried all different ways.

Have u tried having the xp drive installed as the ONLY drive and then see what happens?

I am lost.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Back