I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...

Win8RP is just gorgeous. I have Win7 64 bit also installed, I go back and forth and old Win7 is really looking prehistoric now compared to the Win8 series. I really hope Microsoft doesn't drop Aero after RP, some of us like the eye candy, it makes our work a little more pleasant. Personally, I love the glass effects. I might keep RP until it expires if they make the final retail version all 2D and flat with no Aero.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home build, Case is Corsair Carbide Spec 02
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320 8 core CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
    Memory
    Team Group Zeus overclockable 16Gb, 4x4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire Radeon R9 280X x2
    Sound Card
    Several audio adapters
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ 27" x2
    Screen Resolution
    1920x 1080P
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb,
    WD 1Tb 7200 rpm internal HDD,
    WD My Book Essential 1Tb 7200 external backup drive USB 3.0,
    Pioneer Electronics Blu Ray Combo Drive.
    PSU
    EVGA 850W B2 Modular
    Case
    Corsair Carbide Spec 02
    Cooling
    Stock AMD downblowing heatsink and fan
    Keyboard
    Steelseries mechanical cherry red keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
    Internet Speed
    Comcast Xfinity 100- 150Mps
    Browser
    IE 11, Firefox
    Antivirus
    Norton Security Suite
....... I had a thought: why do I have to use the Desktop?

Give that a try. Do not even go into the Desktop. ......

is this a joke ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
It is from somebody who doesn't need to do anything complex on their pc.

The metro ui is not for that.

That is the reason win8 is a hybrid.

MS are aware of the extreme limitations of Metro UI, even though a few posters are not.

Unfortunately, MS have decided to offer their Frankenstein hybrid not just to tablet users - but to everyone.

They don't have anything aimed at the hundreds of millions of their customers who want a full main ui, not Metro plus a stripped down desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Obviously massive limitations but it works

The family seem to like it while i dont really use it too busy doing "proper computer stuff" ;-)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7 Ultimate with a little bit of 8
    Custom
    CPU
    i5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X
    Memory
    8 Gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo
    PSU
    800W Arctic
    Case
    Antec
One of the reasons why desktop sales are declining is that they last longer.
That's a good point. In addition most people who do simple straight forward things are happy with the OS they have as long as it does not give them any trouble.

Last year we were on vacation in France renting from a host family. They had a Win 2000 system available for our use. My wife who does mostely AOL mail and visits her crafting buddies blogs did not even notice the difference. She normally runs on Vista and Windows7 systems, but for her type of work it could be just any system that operates properly.

And those are the kind of users that can care less about all this new stuff. There is absolutely no incentive for them to spend money on a new OS. I have a brand new (still in the wrappers) Windows7 system on my desk that I wanted to install on one of her Vista laptops because the laptop has a SSD and I wanted the Trim. But she did not let me. Her argument was simple - the thing works, why change.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Last year we were on vacation .... Her argument was simple - the thing works, why change.
And that says it all! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ... unless you can improve it! Which hasn't happened in Metro! :thumb:

Win7 Start Menu, which has peaked in functionality, is universally acclaimed as the most efficient way to access data. The Start Menu Orb is the size of a dime and has EVERYTHING at your fingertip .... with as many programs open as you like. It even over-rode Microsoft updates being actively installed on XP via IE6 to allow programs to run on the UI, such as My Computer, etc.

As I said in another post, M$ actually has given us the choice of the same operating system in two formats!

Windows 7 Desktop, and ...

Windows 8 Tablet cum Touch Phone! :party:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st PC: Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail. 2nd PC: Vista Ulimtate 32bit OEM
    Self assembled
    CPU
    Ist PC: Intel quad core i7-960 2nd PC: Intel quad core i5-2400
    Motherboard
    DX58SO2 Extreme; Intel DH67CL
    Memory
    12GB Kingston DDR3 1300; 8GB DDR3 1300
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Graphics/Sound card; Onboard graphics
    Sound Card
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Graphics/Sound card; Onboard sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S24B300H; S23A350H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    124GB Corsair Performance SSD SATA3; 120GB Corsair Force SSD SATA3
    Case
    Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced; Centurion 5 II
    Cooling
    CPU, Back, Top & Rear extraction fans both PCs
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Multimedia
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Internet Speed
    Theoretical max 100MB/sec Actual 0.5MB/sec
One of the reasons why desktop sales are declining is that they last longer.
C'mon guy
once a market matures of course sales decline.
But do you REALLY think the number of people who use a "Workstation" type of PC --this includes laptops BTW is actually diminishing.

How many people who use the "dreaded Ipad" don't have a computer as well (whether an Apple or PC is irrelevant to this discussion).

"Case closed m'lud -- Next case please."

cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
And that says it all! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ... unless you can improve it! Which hasn't happened in Metro! :thumb:

Here's the thing. What you don't realize is that Metro has a specific purpose. With Windows 8, Microsoft will be releasing the first major non-x86 version of windows in many many years. The ARM tablets will run Windows 8, but will not be able to run any legacy apps. Metro apps run in a virtual machine, and can be run on any processor architecture without modification.

This is just the first step on a road MS is trying to go on towards processor neutral architectures.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Hi there
This type of architecture has been around for Donkeys Years. -- Have you ever worked on a SAP system -- the ABAP main language is a sort of "Meta" language which can run on pretty well any architecture you need it to run on. The ABAP coders etc do their stuff and this code will have no problem in running on whatever backend computer system the SAP system runs from.

If MS wants to go down a similar route "Good for them " but it's not always so simple -- I've seen some of these SAP bozos getting paid as much as 1200 EUR a day -- a bit beyond what a home computer user would pony up to MS to fix a problem. !!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
The metro UI for now has certain limitations for certain people, but it does have a Desktop and has a new way to get around. But even then, if the start menu was that great, it would had seen more use. The reason why it was taken out was the because of the Windows 7 taskbar that eliminated half of the start menu's use. As for metro app use, that's why there's a dedicated Windows RT version. See, a lot of problems wouldn't be in argument if certain people realize that there is a Desktop there and it functions just as fine as 7's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I have no idea what your point is. I did not suggest that a virtual machine is anything new. I'm saying that Microsoft is positioning windows to be platform agnostic, and Metro is the first step on that path.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
if the start menu was that great, it would had seen more use. The reason why it was taken out was the because of the Windows 7 taskbar that eliminated half of the start menu's use.

Nah, that wasn't the reason. Thurrott says:

Microsoft has been furiously ripping out legacy code in Windows 8 that would have enabled third parties to bring back the Start button, Start Menu, and other software bits that could have made this new OS look and work like its predecessor.

The reason it was taken out is because MS said to take it out. If they really cared about their users (or were even indifferent) they would have left it in. But they're apparently working overtime to make sure no one can put it back. That's a big slap in the face to a lot of people. If it's been so useless, why has there been so much howling about it being removed?

You look at 8 with such a narrow perspective, which is - why doesn't everyone use it like I use it? This line of thinking is weird because at the same time you keep saying that not everyone is a power user, so why can't you see how great 8 is for us non-power users? It cuts both ways, Cokey, that's all.

See, a lot of problems wouldn't be in argument if certain people realize that there is a Desktop there and it functions just as fine as 7's.

Yeah, we know. What's behind the principle complaints about 8 - the Metro part or the desktop part?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
The reason it was taken out is because MS said to take it out. If they really cared about their users (or were even indifferent) they would have left it in. But they're apparently working overtime to make sure no one can put it back. That's a big slap in the face to a lot of people. If it's been so useless, why has there been so much howling about it being removed?

By removing the Start Menu, Microsoft is also screwing people like me, who recognized in 1995 that the Start Menu sucks because it's hard to navigate and goes away when you choose something from it, forcing you to to do the navigation all over again. So I never used the Start Menu as the primary program launcher, and you'd think I wouldn't miss it. However, I do miss it, because I drag icons from it to my real program launcher, which used to be jetToolbar until Windows 7 introduced its very excellent taskbar, whose virtues I've extolled ad nauseum in earlier posts. I wanted to populate the taskbar with some icons in my Windows 8 VM just for testing, and I had to go looking in Explorer and the hidden AppData folders, where the Start menu folders (per user and all users) continue to live. Microsoft really has taken their Customer Contempt Policy to an entirely new level in Windows HE, which feels like someone throwing darts at me or something when I try to use it. And that's not even getting into all the Metro horror, which I've also written a lot about in earlier posts. The amount of fail in Windows HE really is hard to comprehend.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
if the start menu was that great, it would had seen more use. The reason why it was taken out was the because of the Windows 7 taskbar that eliminated half of the start menu's use.

Nah, that wasn't the reason. Thurrott says:

Microsoft has been furiously ripping out legacy code in Windows 8 that would have enabled third parties to bring back the Start button, Start Menu, and other software bits that could have made this new OS look and work like its predecessor.

You look at 8 with such a narrow perspective, which is - why doesn't everyone use it like I use it? This line of thinking is weird because at the same time you keep saying that not everyone is a power user, so why can't you see how great 8 is for us non-power users? It cuts both ways, Cokey, that's all.

See, a lot of problems wouldn't be in argument if certain people realize that there is a Desktop there and it functions just as fine as 7's.

Yeah, we know. What's behind the principle complaints about 8 - the Metro part or the desktop part?

Microsoft is probably making sure the start menu can't be brought back because it would a slap to the face for them for users to do that. If that happened, I guess it would cause confusion in the consumer market that the start menu works on some people's systems if you do something. It would bring a lot of flack on their behalf. Not only that, a lot of work has gone into the Start Screen and to just turn it off would a real defeat. Sure, no start menu is a slap to the face for some, but the Start Screen is just a new navigational tool. It can act like the start menu, with library locations and Control Panel and other items you can customize if you need it.

But setting that aside, I got back to my main argument. Everyday people don't use or care for the start menu. To me, if the company of the product has data proving such, that has more resonance than a forum member on a site where demographically a lot of tech heads which use desktops. It's like saying the guy at the local mechanic shop knows more about your car's engine than the company that designed, engineered, and built it.

I get that it goes both ways, but I align myself closer to a power user than a common user. I like to tinker with new things and see how it works, and get the most out of something new. I've used 8 since the Developer Preview days and literally the first week of using it, I got the Start Screen configured to have items that the start menu had. The Consumer Preview allowed me to pin all seven of my Library locations, unlike the start menu. I've learned how to work it based on how I used to work with 7. So yeah, I find it a little incomprehensible when people say Windows 8 isn't for desktops when I've been using it on a desktop and it works better than the last OS which was 7. Remember Windows 7? Remember how people decried as vista 2.0 or a better working vista and said it will still be plagued and complained that the taskbar sucked because it was too big and didn't work how it did in vista? You don't hear that anymore because people have LEARNED how to use the polished UI to continue to work as they did in vista but easier. It's the same thing with 8, yes, the changes are a lot more significant than 7's, but in time, I bet many people will learn how to use and accept it and like it. Just like what happened with Office 2007's Ribbon UI, just like in xp's luna theme, and just like in Windows 95 where the last major overhaul of Windows was.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Microsoft is probably making sure the start menu can't be brought back because it would a slap to the face for them for users to do that.

That makes perfect sense, punish the customer for THEIR lack of perception of what the cutomers actually wanted? LOL
:roflmao:FAIL!
Everyday people don't use or care for the start menu..

I know PLENTY of "everyday" people that in fact DO use the start menu.

The consultants were wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
Dual boot 7 ultimate and 8 RP - A lot of good comments and terrific thread on getting insights. I believe 8 is best of both worlds although it's taking time for me to learn. Metro to me is nothing but a big Start Menu where I believe one can organize it to ones taste and productivity. I can even save Metro IE favorites in the "Big Start Menu". Then I can switch to the desktop like I did in any other OS. MS is in the software business. It sells software, especially OSs. It has to keep up with hardware, especially touch. We all heard in the news that 8 was going to be designed for a lot of different applications and devices. So far as Metro apps, give it time. People are writing them as we forum. Time will tell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I ran it for less than a day, the full screen interface was just too annoying.

I didn't know what was open and what wasn't & the fact that there doesn't even seem to be an option to use a traditional desktop is unfair as it's forcing you to adapt when there's absolutely no need to.

If MS insist on pushing this interface, they must include an option for a start menu or most serious PC users will keep using Win7.

If you're on a tablet or only emailing/browsing then okay, I suppose you could live with Metro but what about the rest? I imagine the rest would come to a pretty large percentage of the windows market no?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asus P67 EVO
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator 8GB, PC3-12800, 1600MHz, 8-8-8-24, 4x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 580 SLi
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U3011
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1600 (16:10, as god intended)
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD (Boot OS)
    2 x Hitachi 7K3000 2TB (Storage)
    PSU
    Seasonic X-1250
    Case
    Silverstone TJ07
    Cooling
    Water cooled, Aqua Computer water blocks, D5, 480 rad
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Illuminated keyboard K800
    Mouse
    Loigitech M950 Performance
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 2+
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    MSE
    Other Info
    Netgear 3700 Wireless n Router,
    WD Elements 640GB Network Hard Drive
Just little thought here to the OP.

Why challenge.
Creating, constructing, and innovating OS is definitely a matter science and technology work. Developer (MS) can use as much advanced tech as possible. They might squeeze all sophisticated things into it. But when it comes into consumer, it turns into needs, privileges, and preferences. When we say we don't like metro, we have every reason why. Others don't have right saying we are stupid or old fashioned guys that worth to be challenged. Every single thing that make our work done faster is appreciated, and, accepted. We work with hundreds interconnected machines in office network, how Metro UI would handle that? Or I haven't learned much I think.

If in the future metro UI can do what desktop does. I will just say welcome aboard. :)

Kevin

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG Flatron L1742S; LG Flatron 19"; Samsung TV 48"
    Screen Resolution
    1280:1024; 1366:768;1920:1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater
Win8RP is just gorgeous. I have Win7 64 bit also installed, I go back and forth and old Win7 is really looking prehistoric now compared to the Win8 series. I really hope Microsoft doesn't drop Aero after RP, some of us like the eye candy, it makes our work a little more pleasant. Personally, I love the glass effects. I might keep RP until it expires if they make the final retail version all 2D and flat with no Aero.

I find it's interesting that before vista and during vista, eye candy wasn't considered something of a reason to upgrade to a new OS. Now it is...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back