How to install dual OS (win 7 and win 8) using the win 8 upgrade offer

I can see why people defend one point or the other.
The EULA states that, if I choose to buy this upgrade, MS does not want me to use Windows 7. That's the 'law' and I must follow it, that's fine, I guess.

But why would MS do this? What's the point in forcing your users to update to a software they're unsure it'll work properly with their routine usage? Let's think about it. General population don't really care about what OS they use. They just want something that works. Windows 7 is a great OS, it wasn't like Vista, which everybody hated. For those reasons, it's not like there's a high demand for Windows 8. Then, there's the whole metro interface/no start button rage that threw off so many people. So, the only people who actually want Windows 8 are those who like have state-of-the-art software. But many of those just don't want to scrap their perfectly working Windows 7 installations. They want to do it gradually. But because of this upgrade, which force users to take the leap without the ability to retain Windows 7, Windows 8 may have less sales.

I understand it is just an upgrade. I understand that there's System Builder licenses. But it just doesn't make sense forbidding the users to use both at the same time. It is not a car or a phone you trade in for a new one.

I'm afraid that you do not understand.

Why Microsoft does this with the upgrade copy of Windows 8 is for the reduced price you pay to get the upgrade copy of Windows 8. The whole point of an upgrade copy is to replace your currently installed OS (ex: Windows 7) with the upgrade copy by either upgrading the installed OS (ex: Windows 7) or uninstall/format the installed OS (ex: Windows 7) and clean install the upgrade copy of Windows 8. Your choice, but you can't have both installed at the same time.

Microsoft doesn't forbid you from having both your currently installed OS (ex: Windows 7) and Windows 8 installed at the same time. If you want this, then you just have to buy the system builder copy of Windows 8 instead of an upgrade copy of Windows 8.

It's your choice of what you want to do. You just have to buy the correct copy of Windows 8 for what you want to do to not violate the EULA.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
It's marketing, Bill.

You know how you paid $100 for your airline ticket and the guy right next to you paid $400 for his?

Same idea.

Maybe you had to buy it a week before to get that price - the other guy could buy it any time.

That is because if you could buy the $100 seat at any time - they would never sell a $400 ticket.

On the other hand, if all seats were $400 - many people couldn't afford it , or would club together and go by car.

The flight would be mostly empty. Airline would be in trouble.

Therefore, they introduce some random restriction so they can price differentially.

skallal it's against the EULA to keep your Windows 7

macharre , updating from the consumer preview is against the EULA

Can someone explain to me in English why I cant have say an OEM Windows 7 on one partitition and an Upgrade Windows 8 on another partition. In other words how is this hurting Microsoft if I'm just gradually moving from one OS to another without destroying my previous OS. I know about the EULA, but how is it hurting Microsoft.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I can see why people defend one point or the other.
The EULA states that, if I choose to buy this upgrade, MS does not want me to use Windows 7. That's the 'law' and I must follow it, that's fine, I guess.

But why would MS do this? What's the point in forcing your users to update to a software they're unsure it'll work properly with their routine usage? Let's think about it. General population don't really care about what OS they use. They just want something that works. Windows 7 is a great OS, it wasn't like Vista, which everybody hated. For those reasons, it's not like there's a high demand for Windows 8. Then, there's the whole metro interface/no start button rage that threw off so many people. So, the only people who actually want Windows 8 are those who like have state-of-the-art software. But many of those just don't want to scrap their perfectly working Windows 7 installations. They want to do it gradually. But because of this upgrade, which force users to take the leap without the ability to retain Windows 7, Windows 8 may have less sales.

I understand it is just an upgrade. I understand that there's System Builder licenses. But it just doesn't make sense forbidding the users to use both at the same time. It is not a car or a phone you trade in for a new one.

I'm afraid that you do not understand.

Why Microsoft does this with the upgrade copy of Windows 8 is for the reduced price you pay to get the upgrade copy of Windows 8. The whole point of an upgrade copy is to replace your currently installed OS (ex: Windows 7) with the upgrade copy by either upgrading the installed OS (ex: Windows 7) or uninstall/format the installed OS (ex: Windows 7) and clean install the upgrade copy of Windows 8. Your choice, but you can't have both installed at the same time.

Microsoft doesn't forbid you from having both your currently installed OS (ex: Windows 7) and Windows 8 installed at the same time. If you want this, then you just have to buy the system builder copy of Windows 8 instead of an upgrade copy of Windows 8.

It's your choice of what you want to do. You just have to buy the correct copy of Windows 8 for what you want to do to not violate the EULA.

So if my system completely dies tomorrow after let's say a short circuit and I have bought the OEM and the System Builder which one can I use to build another computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
It's marketing, Bill.

You know how you paid $100 for your airline ticket and the guy right next to you paid $400 for his?

Same idea.

Maybe you had to buy it a week before to get that price - the other guy could buy it any time.

That is because if you could buy the $100 seat at any time - they would never sell a $400 ticket.

On the other hand, if all seats were $400 - many people couldn't afford it , or would club together and go by car.

The flight would be mostly empty. Airline would be in trouble.

Therefore, they introduce some random restriction so they can price differentially.

skallal it's against the EULA to keep your Windows 7

macharre , updating from the consumer preview is against the EULA

Can someone explain to me in English why I cant have say an OEM Windows 7 on one partitition and an Upgrade Windows 8 on another partition. In other words how is this hurting Microsoft if I'm just gradually moving from one OS to another without destroying my previous OS. I know about the EULA, but how is it hurting Microsoft.

You know SIW2 your explanation makes complete sense to me :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
Why build a new computer ? It's not transferable, if your motherboard die, you replace it with the same model , what they don't want you do is to transfer it to another pc, you can repair the one you have but not upgrade it, as example you have a good working socket 1056 and you want too upgrade to a motherboard with a socket 2011, this is not a replacement this is an upgrade. The Motherboard rumor come from the fact that at first MS want to tie the Motherboard to the OEM license, but they change their mind as they will have again problem with the US gouv. so replacing a defective motherboard is ok.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
So what happens if there's nothing close to my motherboard available and I have to buy the latest one with the latest chipset, and all my peripherals died as well, because of the short circuit., and the only thing that is any good is the case, even the PSU is burnt out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
So if my system completely dies tomorrow after let's say a short circuit and I have bought the OEM and the System Builder which one can I use to build another computer.

So what happens if there's nothing close to my motherboard available and I have to buy the latest one with the latest chipset, and all my peripherals died as well, because of the short circuit., and the only thing that is any good is the case, even the PSU is burnt out.

An OEM copy is permanently tied to the motherboard of the computer it was first activated on, and cannot be used to activate on a different computer or motherboard. It can only be activated on that exact same motherboard it was first activated on. That's why it's so much cheaper. Sometimes you may be able to what Simon (SIW2) posted below though.

A retail system builder or upgrade copy will let you activate it on any computer you like as long as it's only activated on one computer and uninstalled on any other at that time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere will tell you MS are good about that sort of thing.

Usually ringing MS and letting them know your mobo/whatever died does the job.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere will tell you MS are good about that sort of thing.

Usually ringing MS and letting them know your mobo/whatever died does the job.

Yes I sort of knew that, I have heard of people ringing MS to get that sorted. Okay thanks guys, that sort of clears everything up for me, maybe other people will read this and get something out of it. I think the new Windows 8 upgrade confused quite a few people judging by the comments in this section, it even had me confused a bit.

Thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
A retail system builder or upgrade copy will let you activate it on any computer you like as long as it's only activated on one computer and uninstalled on any other at that time.

When you say that an upgrade copy will let you activate it on any computer, do you mean that I can download my win 8 upgrade from my current computer and I just make a bootable USB and install on say my mothers computer. Will it work?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7

When you say that an upgrade copy will let you activate it on any computer, do you mean that I can download my win 8 upgrade from my current computer and I just make a bootable USB and install on say my mothers computer. Will it work?

YES, on one PC. yours or your mothers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
AIUI It should. An XP, Vista or W7 licence for your mother's computer is a legal requirement.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Back