Forced Upgrade to Windows 8.1?

I am sure Microsoft loves dumb sheeps in the lala land..
Go wherever the wind blows...
I went back to Win 7 and to apple since win 8 and 8.1 are the worst pieces of sh-it ever since Vista!
Have'nt met any one that likes it yet...well except you...$$$$

:mad:

[COLOR=#3E3E3E said:
Windows 8 is a personal choice. I cannot honestly say it's "good" or "bad". It all depends upon what you like. It's fast and stable and that's good for everybody. Whether you like or dislike the new interface is going to be a personal matter. I won't be surprised that some like it and others hate it...and that's totally fine by me.[/COLOR]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    your mamas
Once you get used to it, I think your opinion of it will change.
For better or worse.
Sounds like getting married. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
You guys are ridiculous. Windows 8.1 is amazing. I had absolutely NO problems upgrading from 8 to 8.1. Anyway, you guys sound like the people who were hesitant to upgrade to windows 8. Now look at those people. They love it. You must have some ridiculous hardware to be having driver problems. So just upgrade. Don't be like the windows 8 haters.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G500
    CPU
    Intel i3-312M @ 2.50GHz
    Memory
    4G RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 HD
    Hard Drives
    600G SATA Hard Disc Drive
    Internet Speed
    32Mb/s DL 23Mb/s Ul
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Malwarebytes
I agree David. For me I saw it and fell in love INSTANTLY. No complaints since. Other people are all like "WINDOWS 8 IS SH*T" "YOU SUCK MICROSOFT". They are the people who take change slowly. I just wish they could get used to change.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G500
    CPU
    Intel i3-312M @ 2.50GHz
    Memory
    4G RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 HD
    Hard Drives
    600G SATA Hard Disc Drive
    Internet Speed
    32Mb/s DL 23Mb/s Ul
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Malwarebytes
Took me a month or so and the upgrade to 8.1 before I decided it was a good OS. I don't use any of the Modern stuff but as a basic, Desktop[ oriented OS it's excellent with the addition of Classic Shell or Start8. Stable and fast.

I miss AERO but not as much as I thought I would.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
I'm after getting the blue banner that only let me select a time for my laptop to finish installing and updating to Windows 8.1.
I do not want Windows 8.1 and I would like to select which updates are downloaded and installed on my laptop, BUT in the Windows Update Settings, I cannot select a different option from the drop-down list for automatic updating. It's shaded in grey as if it's restricted even though I'm the administrator.

Any help would be really appreciated! :)

Oh and I had to select "4 hours" for the time I want my laptop to update to 8.1. I was hoping I could find a way around it in that time.

Also, when I try to uninstall an update by right-clicking it, the only options it presents me is to view or copy the details of the update. Frustrating.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
It sounds like a managed system to me as in a company asset and it is using some patching management software like "Windows Server Update Services" or one of the plenty full 3rd party management suites

Is this your personal computer, some sort of company asset, or a system setup for you by someone else?

If it is yours need to log on to the system as an administrator.
If it is some sort of company asset, you need to contact the company and be given the account to log on as a administrator.
If it is a system setup for you by someone else contact that person for the administrator account.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Linux (MINT)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Win 8 & Toshiba Linux
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster
Is this your personal computer, some sort of company asset, or a system setup for you by someone else?

If it is yours need to log on to the system as an administrator.
If it is some sort of company asset, you need to contact the company and be given the account to log on as a administrator.
If it is a system setup for you by someone else contact that person for the administrator account.

It's my personal computer and I am logged in as Administrator. Is there anything else that could prevent me for selecting a different option?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
It sounds like a managed system to me as in a company asset and it is using some patching management software like "Windows Server Update Services" or one of the plenty full 3rd party management suites.

Since you selected 4 hourss which reminds me of a WSUS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Linux (MINT)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster
You guys are ridiculous. Windows 8.1 is amazing. I had absolutely NO problems upgrading from 8 to 8.1. Anyway, you guys sound like the people who were hesitant to upgrade to windows 8. Now look at those people. They love it. You must have some ridiculous hardware to be having driver problems. So just upgrade. Don't be like the windows 8 haters.
Windows 8.1 lacks basic compatibility with off-the-shelf hardware, e.g.

[UNSOLVED] Asus Taichi back screen (lid) not working - Microsoft Community

I understand that to an extent these are the hardware vendor's problems to solve, and Microsoft does need to progress their update program in spite of this. Nonetheless, pushing out forced updates to users when there are known issues is massively inconsiderate. Most of the people owning this hardware are not tech-savvy, and forcing them to install a product that is known to cause significant problems is costing them large amounts of money to get the issues fixed.

This seems like basic common sense to me. Your blind cheerleading, and that of others in this thread, is frankly embarrassing.

If people want to stop the update, just accept that there are good reasons why they may want to do so and give them the information they need. This is a support forum, after all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Windows 8.1 lacks basic compatibility with off-the-shelf hardware, e.g.

[UNSOLVED] Asus Taichi back screen (lid) not working - Microsoft Community

I understand that to an extent these are the hardware vendor's problems to solve, and Microsoft does need to progress their upgrade program in spite of this. Nonetheless, pushing out forced updates to users when there are known issues is massively inconsiderate. Most of the people owning this hardware are not tech-savvy and forcing them to upgrade to a product that is known to cause significant problems is costing them large amounts of money to get the issues fixed.

This seems like basic common sense to me, and anyone reasonable would agree. Your blind cheerleading, and that of others in this thread, is frankly embarrassing.

If people want to stop the update, just accept that there are good reasons why they may want to do so and give them the information they need. This is a support forum, after all.

I fully agree, I have 3 specialized software applications that will not run on Win 8.1 So I do not want to "upgrade"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Linux (MINT)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster
Out of curiosity, what are these three non working applications? I've not discovered anything yet that runs on 8, but not 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Out of curiosity, what are these three non working applications? I've not discovered anything yet that runs on 8, but not 8.1.

software interfaces for radio and navigation systems, and Antenna design software, and a graphic interface for both a frequency domain reflectometer and time domain reflectometers that I use for antenna systems design and trouble shooting.

I tried with 8.1 and they would not work they are older programs and cost quite a bit, I suppose could buy new software and a new hardware interface card for the reflectometers but since they currently work why spend the money.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Linux (MINT)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster
Hi there, I have had a Samsung ativ smart pc for over 1year now and almost immediately I received the 8.1 update. Ever since then the screen would completely freeze for sometime before releasing and quite often it would stay frozen and I would have to reboot the pc. As it's only a secondary machine that I use on the couch and I run a café and have a young baby it wasn't high on my list of priorities. However, one can only take so much frustration and I started researching, but couldn't find any answers. I decided to do a refresh of my pc without losing any files. Presto, the machine reinstalled the original windows 8 version and I setup the pc and everything was perfect. No freezing....very smooth, until along came the 8.1 update, I thought WTH let it install...I did a refresh maybe it was just the pc.....Noooo 8.1 installed and immediately came the freezing, run all the Samsung updates through SW update and still didn't fix it. So I refreshed the pc again back to win 8.0 and again perfect not one crash/freeze.

So here's the big problem, 8.1 keeps trying to install and it keeps stuffing my machine up, but I've been reading that if you don't upgrade to 8.1 you don't receive the essential security upgrades etc...

not sure what to do, does anyone know if there is a fix for 8.1 on this Samsung?

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    samsung ativ smart pc
Hi there, I have had a Samsung ativ smart pc for over 1year now and almost immediately I received the 8.1 update. Ever since then the screen would completely freeze for sometime before releasing and quite often it would stay frozen and I would have to reboot the pc. As it's only a secondary machine that I use on the couch and I run a café and have a young baby it wasn't high on my list of priorities. However, one can only take so much frustration and I started researching, but couldn't find any answers. I decided to do a refresh of my pc without losing any files. Presto, the machine reinstalled the original windows 8 version and I setup the pc and everything was perfect. No freezing....very smooth, until along came the 8.1 update, I thought WTH let it install...I did a refresh maybe it was just the pc.....Noooo 8.1 installed and immediately came the freezing, run all the Samsung updates through SW update and still didn't fix it. So I refreshed the pc again back to win 8.0 and again perfect not one crash/freeze.

So here's the big problem, 8.1 keeps trying to install and it keeps stuffing my machine up, but I've been reading that if you don't upgrade to 8.1 you don't receive the essential security upgrades etc...

not sure what to do, does anyone know if there is a fix for 8.1 on this Samsung?

Thanks

to stop windows 8.1 do this:
1. Set widows update not to auto install updates

2. Remove update KB2871389 which was published 9/10/2013

3. Then reboot

4. Do a windows update check and hide update KB2871389

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Linux (MINT)
    Computer type
    Laptop