Forced Upgrade to Windows 8.1?

Thank you Ztruker and majulook for providing answers to the original question without editorializing.

To summarize,
- blocking/uninstalling Update KB2871389 prevents the prompt offering a free upgrade to Win 8.1
- blocking/uninstalling Update KB2973544 prevents the forced upgrade to Win 8.1

Alternate ways to stop the prompt for the free upgrade include:
- using group policy editor (gpedit.msc)
- editing the registry key: change UpgradeNotification to value=0
- create a registry key: create WindowsStore, create DWORD disableOSUpgrade value=1

For step-by-step instruction for these, see:
How to Disable ?Update to Windows 8.1 for Free? Notification in Windows 8 Store? - AskVG
or
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/37808-update-windows-8-1-store-prompt-enable-disable.html
or
Ztrucker's and majulook's posts earlier in this thread.

NOTE THAT THE REGISTRY EDITS AND GROUP POLICY EDITS WORK FOR WIN 8 PRO BUT *NOT* OTHER WIN 8 VERSIONS such as Win 8 "home" version. To block the forced Win 8.1 upgrades, these users will need to manually change the Updates described above.

Please note that people post to forums like this looking for solutions, not responses questioning their judgement or saying everything is okay. In my case, I had two Win 8 machines that upgraded to Win 8.1 without problems, but my personal work laptop (Samsung Book 8) was thoroughly and completely fu***ed up by the forced upgrade. Rolling back was not possible, system restoration was required, but installed (fully paid legitimate Adobe software packages -- plural) were lost. I was not fortunate enough to get the "Blue Screen of Death", but instead got the "Black Screen of Nothingness". It was fixed with the assistance of freelance IT people. I've learned in some details what the incompatibilities between Microsoft, Intel, and ADM video hardware and software that are at the root of Samsung Win 8.1 upgrade problems, but the fixes are not complete and I cannot monitor the actions of four multinational corporations -- I need my machine running without interruption and blocking Win 8.1 will do that.

By the way, I installed "Classic Shell" on Win 8 to give it a true Start Button and improve touch/desktop performance. I find that freeware shell superior to Win 8.1 and have even installed it on a couple Win 8.1 machines. Classic Shell solves an annoyance with Chrome running on Win 8.1 as an app vs a desktop program, it gives a program list like Win 7 did, and other useful Win 7 features killed in Win 8.1 while preserving the Win 8/8.1 touch functions and way of operating. It is such a great freeware solution that I have paid for each installation I've employed. Check it here:
Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
UPDATE #1:

A new Microsoft Update KB3008273 appeared that also pushes an automatic "upgrade" from Win 8 to Win 8.1 It came out at the end of October, 2013

UPDATE #2:

Uninstalling Microsoft Updates can be temporary because at some point, your machine's behind the scenes communication with Microsoft may reveal that an "update" is not installed and Microsoft will push it back to your machine. To control the automatic behavior of updates, you must take on the job of doing this semi-manually or manually, as follows:

(1.) In Control Panel go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Change settings.
Click on "Change Settings". In the "Important Updates" pull down menu, the default is "Install updated automatically (recommended)" but instead select the next choice "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them"

From now on when an update is pushed to your machine you will have the option of looking at the updates before giving permission to install. Keep an eye out for KB2871389, KB2973544, and KB3008273. If they appear, deselect them.

In the future, your computer may give warnings that about uncompleted updates which is bothersome, and it's easy to OK the installation of these updates by accident, so you can hide these updates to eliminate those issues as follows:

(2.) To hide an update in Win 7 and Win 8 (the process is exactly the same) see this tutorial: Windows Update - Hide or Restore Hidden Updates - Windows 7 Help Forums
Basically, is shows how to go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Select updates to install, where you will see a list of "Important" and "Optional" updates with boxes that are checked, you would deselect the box of KB2871389, KB2973544, or KB3008273, then Right Click the listing, and a small pulldown will appear that allows you to Hide Update.

To prevent upgrades to Win 8.1 you'll have to follow some of these measures hopefully until Win 10 comes out. (I am told Win 9 is being skipped by Microsoft, and Win 10 is really Win 7 all over again with the problems corrected, so we'll just have to see)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
UPDATE #1:

A new Microsoft Update KB3008273 appeared that also pushes an automatic "upgrade" from Win 8 to Win 8.1 It came out at the end of October, 2013

According to the KB Article for this update
"If you have Automatic Updates enabled on a computer that has update 2871389 installed, this update enables automatic Windows 8.1 upgrade."

So if you do not have KB2871389 you should not get this one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Linux (MINT)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Win 8 & Toshiba Linux
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster
I have Windows updates set to download but not install unless I say so.

I actually do have KB2871389 installed. (Microsoft managed to sneak that one in before I knew what it could do. :think:) I always deselected KB2973544 when I realized what it was. Today I don't even see it on the list of updates...and there are 17 items on the list.

So far, Windows 8.1 has not been downloaded. I do get periodic splash screens asking me if I want to download it.
Since I found out what KB2973544 was all about, I decided to check each update for more information, and thus I found out what KB3008273 is. I think I'll just hide that one.

I have a Samsung notebook which is doing just fine, and some essential business software installed that we cannot be without.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung NP550P7C
Oops. Can't hide an update that's already been downloaded.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung NP550P7C
Oops. Can't hide an update that's already been downloaded.

You can uninstall an update & when it shows up again, then Hide it.

screenshot_175.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
uninstall KB2871389, then go to then downloaded updates location which default is C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete its contents

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Linux (MINT)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Win 8 & Toshiba Linux
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster
I have Windows updates set to download but not install unless I say so.

I actually do have KB2871389 installed. (Microsoft managed to sneak that one in before I knew what it could do. :think:) I always deselected KB2973544 when I realized what it was. Today I don't even see it on the list of updates...and there are 17 items on the list.

So far, Windows 8.1 has not been downloaded. I do get periodic splash screens asking me if I want to download it.
Since I found out what KB2973544 was all about, I decided to check each update for more information, and thus I found out what KB3008273 is. I think I'll just hide that one.

I have a Samsung notebook which is doing just fine, and some essential business software installed that we cannot be without.

The "solution" to my Samsung problem was found by my IT friend as follows (see "adel111").

Windows 8.1 upgrade fails with blank black screen - Microsoft Community

I put quotes around "solution" because it didn't work for me (that's why we had to roll back to Win 8 and lost some installed software in the process), but it might work for you... note in that post the model number of the Samsung laptop to see if it's similar to yours.

I may try again in the future when there isn't anything critical going on and I can afford the time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Was forced to update today to Windows 8.1
Scroll no longer working on touchpad and volume is either maxed or muted.
I notice also when i go into the metro to search for something in my computer, it gives shows me apps to purchase alongside everything else, so half the stuff i click on trying to fix this problem is really just an advertisement slipped into my search results.
REALLY piddling me off, especially the apps showing in my search results.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Welcome to Windows EightForums, rob12000.

They show up in half of the search results? Would you please post a screenshot of the search results? Perhaps your search is broke too.

So far as the touchpad is concerned > Did you check for the latest driver?

So far as the sound volume > Is there an OEM sound mixer program involved?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

They show up in half of the search results? Would you please post a screenshot of the search results? Perhaps your search is broke too.

App ads show up in all my searches. I call them ads because i don't have them installed, but search now shows them as a sort of unwanted advertisement to get me to the app store.

Attachments

• app ads.jpg
    app ads.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 76
  • app ads1.jpg
    app ads1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 80

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
That's not really half of the results is it?

If not desired, then turn off Bing search in PC Settings.

I don't find it offensive for I may want to install a suggested app, but I understand that may not be your choice. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

Thanks for the welcome :)
I tried updating drivers. I get a zip file, i click to open and get lots of different options, i click onto the what looks like an installer and it starts to install then says it doesn't recognize my system and stops installing.
I tried removing drivers but they never reinstall and i have to do a system restore to get things back to halfway functioning.
I messed with this for about 8 hours todays, installing , uninstalling, restarting, restoring and have given up for now. I'm using a handheld mouse for scrolling on my laptop now.
It's kind of frustrating as my computer worked fine this morning until i was given no choice but to upgrade. In fact i was given 15 minutes and no other option.
My sound mixer and driver are VIA. The sound doesn't get as loud as it used to and seems to have two settings, ON or OFF. there's no adjusting the levels.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
I can understand peoples frustration on what seems to be a forced "upgrade". It really isn't an upgrade, but rather an SP1 update. This is really no different than past SPs. The title of the thread is wrong. 8.1 is really a good OS once getting past the hurdles. Yours seem to be minor when looking at others.

If possible, it's better to go into Device manager, double click a device, and have it point to an .ini file to update the drivers. Or to seek online for the driver, which sometimes works. Rare, though.

I must needs go on errands for awhile, however I'll keep an eye on this via my Lumia.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I hope you are getting drivers from the manufacturer's website & not letting Microsoft choose them for you.

I made a batch file that runs the dism & sfc commands if you would like to try it.
It may fix some of your problems.

Or you can make your own---

Code:
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
sfc /scannow
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow
pause

The .bat file---

View attachment dism.bat

If you choose to use it, download it & right click it & click Properties & Unblock it & then right click it & choose Run as administrator.
Dism hangs on 20% for a long time.{RestoreHealth dism}

Over all it takes about 2 hours or so to finish.

edit---

The first dism fixes the 2nd dism.
The first sfc may fix some things.
If it fails to, the 2nd dism fixes the component store so sfc can use it to fix things.
The last sfc then can proceed to fix problems. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Left my laptop on while making dinner only to come back and find myself being finally forced to install Windows 8.1:mad:

Selected the 4 hour option so I hope I have time to reverse it however the OP's fix didn't work for me, there was no option to un-install in store, only to download...

Please note that people post to forums like this looking for solutions, not responses questioning their judgement or saying everything is okay.

Yes!!! thank you!!! I'm am baffled by some of these responses.

Why I should have no issue over being forced to download something (especially at an inconvenient time)that is meant to be totally optional is completely beyond me. Very odd.

I've finally gotten the hang of this Windows 8 garbage, if anything I would prefer a downgrade...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Welcome to Windows EightForums, Annoyed.

Likewise people shouldn’t come on bashing 8.x either, for after all this is a support forum. Some of us are enjoying the experience.

Reads to me like you should “downgrade” to whatever. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Is this a microsoft affiliated forum? I don't think it is and even if it were I don't get how me being unhappy with a product I paid for affects you at all...in the slightest.

I can't be critical of a windows product?

Again, very strange.

I bashed windows 8 for good reason and several other people here are saying they've had significant issues with the upgrade, we should just grin and bear it huh:think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
No it's not affiliated, but it is a support forum for a particular MS product. I know first hand that the members that are being criticized for their concerns about updating are in fact good-intentioned people simply looking out for the welfare of others. That is all. I feel they shouldn't be scorned for doing such.

Did you not research Windows 8 before purchasing? I should think you nor anyone has a right to bash it if you didn't.

Lastly, if one one has Windows Update set to auto, it's going to update. One should configure it otherwise if one doesn't want it to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
My experience with 8.1 has been good. I've still not upgraded my kids laptop and nothing has been forced on me there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Back