Forbes Win 8 is the first Windows I hate

My only hope for Windows 8 now is that MS comes to its senses and allows us to customize Windows 8 to focus more on the keyboard and mouse. It could achieve this with the service pack 1 update that we expect—if Microsoft holds to historical timetables—to land towards the end of this year. I’m not asking Microsoft to abandon touch, just give people who have no need for it—who, by my estimation account for 99 percent of Windows users—the chance to move it into the background.

Why Windows 8 Is The First Windows Release I Absolutely Hate - Forbes

This Blue thing is interesting.

They might do something different with a later build - but going just from this, they are moving quickly.

Looks like they need to keep the desktop there for the moment, and are trying to keep most away from it.

That would mean in effect MS have total control - as they will have in fact when the desktop has gone.

Big push to get the users onto their services via the advertising billboard.

Fascinating to watch this - I expect most of those innocently buying these things right now have no idea.
The Desktop is rumored to get a metroized treatment (unlike in your brain, the term metro refers to a design standard and not a random conglomerate of terms for apps, Start Screen and modern UI) to better suit the UI. Basically, if you want to properly use Windows Blue, get a touchscreen. Don't like it? Go away and stay on 7 and stop expecting Microsoft (at least until 2022) to keep an old and tested design for those who don't want to use the new.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
"Microsoft should had just improved Windows 7 with the under the hood tweaks and kept the metro junk out."
I think you got the idea.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
"Microsoft should had just improved Windows 7 with the under the hood tweaks and kept the metro junk out."
I think you got the idea.

I like the metro junk. Not just the Windows 8 start menu UI (so to speak), but the apps as well. I do work on the desktop, imaging, spreadsheets, photo editing, video editing, streaming video, word processing, pdf form work, reports, etc... How anyone can actually hate 8 is odd on its face. They must feel that a simple UI can disrupt their lives so much that they hate it. Does not compute...
I use immersive Weather, Daily Motion videos, SlapCast Podcasts, IHeart Radio, Background Wallpapers, Microsoft Photos, Grantophone, Pinball FX2, Music Maker Jam, Netflix, The Big Picture etc...

These immersive applications are better, IMO, than in a desktop window.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Not sure - maybe they are doing the flexible screen . If they can get to work - it may be worth waiting till it is right - then releasing something that is a much better point product than the others.

I don't know if the watch things are going to take off.

If they do - MS will be playing catch up again. MS just catch the tail end of the move to 7 inchers - as the others are already moving to smart phones and watches.

Perhaps MS could spend less time trying to surreptitiously push it's desktop user base into the clouds/subscriptions etc - and more time trying to keep up with the game.

Interesting link from there to:

Why You’ll End Up Wearing A Smart Watch | Gizmodo Australia

Curved glass - maybe. I got the impression it was a flexible screen of some kind. Perhaps Apple are working on that for something else.
It was reported that Apple is actually working on the watch computer but seems to be a bit behind some others.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
warning   Warning
Let's keep this a friendly discussion shall we. :sarc:

Just had to clean up half this thread because of unneeded comments.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I'm interested in seeing how ModernMix works once it comes out of beta, which will address many of the issues with the MPI, but what concerns me is what Microsoft may do with Windows 8. I have to say that for the first time ever, I've lost some confidence in Microsoft allowing third party developers to do things in the desktop space, especially if their long-term goal is to get rid of the desktop (as we know it). This may all take some time, but with talk about subscription services, including for the OS, the inference that Microsoft wants to lock you into their eco-system is worrying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
the inference that Microsoft wants to lock you into their eco-system is worrying.
That is indeed worrying. The fact that the desktop has been demoted to an 'application' Is not a good sign. I can easily imagine that all the applications that we run today (free or paid) will end up in the MS store and can be called with a tile. Then the desktop will really only be a folder.

It will take a few years before we get there, but the signs definitely point into that direction - and not only from MS, look at Google. Same thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
the inference that Microsoft wants to lock you into their eco-system is worrying.

Looks like it is coming.

The start screen is the advertising billboard used to suck the punters in.

As MS keep users more in metro - then it becomes more controlled by what you can d/l from the Store.

When the desktop is completetly gone, then everything is in MS control.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
That's why I have no intention of going fully Windows 8 at the moment. I'll keep doing the updates and monitor where all this is headed, but if it's in a direction where I don't want to go, then I'll just delete Windows 8 and stick with Windows 7 until it finally succumbs. And in the meanwhile keep up to date with Linux.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
This Blue thing is interesting.

They might do something different with a later build - but going just from this, they are moving quickly.

Looks like they need to keep the desktop there for the moment, and are trying to keep most away from it.

That would mean in effect MS have total control - as they will have in fact when the desktop has gone.

Big push to get the users onto their services via the advertising billboard.

Fascinating to watch this - I expect most of those innocently buying these things right now have no idea.
The Desktop is rumored to get a metroized treatment (unlike in your brain, the term metro refers to a design standard and not a random conglomerate of terms for apps, Start Screen and modern UI) to better suit the UI. Basically, if you want to properly use Windows Blue, get a touchscreen. Don't like it? Go away and stay on 7 and stop expecting Microsoft (at least until 2022) to keep an old and tested design for those who don't want to use the new.

You really should give standup comedy a try bud. Your routine is funny as hell. :D

I mean w8 is such a runaway success now with the new UI right, use it or get left behind, lmao.

Someone is sure being used here but I don't expect you will figure it out any time soon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
the inference that Microsoft wants to lock you into their eco-system is worrying. That is indeed worrying.

The fact that the desktop has been demoted to an 'application' Is not a good sign. I can easily imagine that all the applications that we run today (free or paid) will end up in the MS store and can be called with a tile. Then the desktop will really only be a folder.

It will take a few years before we get there, but the signs definitely point into that direction - and not only from MS, look at Google. Same thing.

The above is what I posted yesterday and below is what I read this morning - nearly the same words. This is really worrying.

No Windows desktop mode!? No! | ZDNet

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
the inference that Microsoft wants to lock you into their eco-system is worrying. That is indeed worrying.

The fact that the desktop has been demoted to an 'application' Is not a good sign. I can easily imagine that all the applications that we run today (free or paid) will end up in the MS store and can be called with a tile. Then the desktop will really only be a folder.

The above is what I posted yesterday and below is what I read this morning - nearly the same words. This is really worrying.

No Windows desktop mode!? No! | ZDNet
Hi there
This has to be a bit of total B/S about dropping "desktop" mode. It might be called something else but NOT ALL APPS are suitable for running in full screen or even half screen (or half baked) mode.

1) What about people who have SEVERAL large monitors and who need to keep concurrent applications visible.

2) What about software / other developers who write code will want debugging windows open as they design and debug code.

3) Stock exchange programs often need SEVERAL windows open at once to execute your trades.

4) Does anybody at Ms ever do any document translation from two or 3 languages --unless these are concurrently visiable then it's a hopeless task.

5) Does anybody at ms ever compose presentations that need inserts say from Audio / other documents / websites to be included --if these are all "metroized" --forget it.

Probably loads of other cases too -- I use photoshop a LOT and need to VISIBLY see the various layers I might have while processing a photo -- and I need these to be visible AT THE SAME TIME.

Now on the whole I LIKE W8 and don't really miss the start menu -- but I would HATE it if I were forced to run everything in Full screen (or even Half screen) mode.

Remember Ms the OS is called WINDOWS ==>PLURAL not WINDOW==>SINGULAR.

Actually if they did get rid of the desktop and still called it WINDOWS - could you invoke the various Trades descriptions acts in force in most countries -- the product description mustn't MISLEAD the consumer when they purchase / lease the product or service.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Jimbo I hear you. But do the guys in Redmond hear you too. They have already made so much damage, they probably figure that some more damage does not matter.

I am completely lost. I was actively involved in operating systems strategies for more than a decade. But something as stupid as what they are doing now I have never seen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Jimbo I hear you. But do the guys in Redmond hear you too. They have already made so much damage, they probably figure that some more damage does not matter.

Of course they don't. They operate focus groups that are probably stuffed full of MS employees with mortgages to pay so anything offered to them, well it's great isn't it!!!

MS aren't interested in these forums or any others. They probably don't even bother reading media coverage. What is being offered now is a take it or leave it situation. Fortunately there are alternatives, staying with W7 being just one. If you like W8 then fine, if you don't then that's also fine.

Most of the positives and negatives of W8 have been covered over and over around here. Nothing's going to change as MS have a plan (whatever that is) and are going to keep to it come hell or high water.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
whs

But something as stupid as what they are doing now I have never seen.

I understand why you are saying it is stupid.

In fact it is very clever.

mart

MS have a plan (whatever that is)

I saw it immediately, Mike Mace ( former head of Apple platform marketing ) also saw it immediately, reading between the lines of Paul Thurrott recent posts - I think he understands it now.

Do you want to know what it is?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi there
This has to be a bit of total B/S about dropping "desktop" mode. It might be called something else but NOT ALL APPS are suitable for running in full screen or even half screen (or half baked) mode.

1) What about people who have SEVERAL large monitors and who need to keep concurrent applications visible.

2) What about software / other developers who write code will want debugging windows open as they design and debug code.

3) Stock exchange programs often need SEVERAL windows open at once to execute your trades.

4) Does anybody at Ms ever do any document translation from two or 3 languages --unless these are concurrently visiable then it's a hopeless task.

5) Does anybody at ms ever compose presentations that need inserts say from Audio / other documents / websites to be included --if these are all "metroized" --forget it.

Probably loads of other cases too -- I use photoshop a LOT and need to VISIBLY see the various layers I might have while processing a photo -- and I need these to be visible AT THE SAME TIME.

Now on the whole I LIKE W8 and don't really miss the start menu -- but I would HATE it if I were forced to run everything in Full screen (or even Half screen) mode.

Remember Ms the OS is called WINDOWS ==>PLURAL not WINDOW==>SINGULAR.

Actually if they did get rid of the desktop and still called it WINDOWS - could you invoke the various Trades descriptions acts in force in most countries -- the product description mustn't MISLEAD the consumer when they purchase / lease the product or service.

Cheers
jimbo
Yes this is spot on of course. Many people (including myself) need the "s" in Windows to use computers effectively and Microsoft would lose a lot of corporate business if the OS lost the ability to do this. Plus noone would buy Office either. So Microsoft would have to be pretty dumb... but recent experience is not reassuring.

Do you want to know what it is?
Go on then...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Incidentally many people are worried about the loss of the Start Menu. Yes the Start Screen is slower and for new or infrequent users, it's much harder to work out what's going on. But you can work around it and crucially most users don't spend much time on the Start Screen or Menu - once you've started the app or whatever, you spend your time in the app and it doesn't matter how you started it.

The loss of the ability to see multiple windows is something that affects people all the time they're using the software, and in the Metro model there's no real workaround unless you get ModernMix or similar, so for people who need to use multiple windows, it's a much bigger deal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
One source close to Microsoft told me he can't see Microsoft dumping the desktop anytime soon. "There's the little, itty-bitty problem of hundreds of thousands of desktop applications that will take years, if not longer, to migrate to WinRT API-based apps. Just bringing Office alone to WinRT will be a Manhattan Project."

Of course, Microsoft does have one way around this problem: Move all its business apps to the cloud and make them software as a service (SaaS) apps. This fits in nicely with Ed Bott's vision of Microsoft's future as a cloud-based service provider with its own hardware line, Surface.

If moving its business applications to the cloud really is the plan, then Microsoft could indeed leave Windows 8's desktop mode behind. I wouldn't be happy about it, and I don't see that I'd ever like Metro, but a combination of cloud services and Windows-based devices with Metro interfaces could win for Microsoft.

I'd say that it will happen and Office 365 is the start. If it picks up traction, then everything else will follow. Windows 9, or very soon after, may well be cloud or nothing. Microsoft wants to lock users into their eco-system, and rapidly, so that there is not enough time for other options to become viable for the masses, such as Linux.

Don't abandon Windows 7 etc just yet, you may end up regretting that move.

My Computer

System One

• OS
They are not going to get it Ray.

Some people like it.

A few of them are not able to grasp a very large number do not like it, and that it is having a bad effect on sales.

Nothing will make any difference to those few.

It is all somebody else's fault.

I have to ask , why does everyone have to like it the way you all want it to be ,you obviously use you computer for something different than i do[surf the net ,emails iso burning,some photo editing ect ect ] ,because i like it ,and actually do use some of the win8 store apps ,mostly just online music players and ones like the Wikipedia app/star charts /nasa /star chart , and a few others,and yes i did use the start/all programs on winxp and win7,my first computer had win 3.11 on it ,so i have been around ,and i like the new start screen , do most of my works from the desktop /taskbar .i guess i just don't understand .just saying

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p