Forbes Win 8 is the first Windows I hate

My only hope for Windows 8 now is that MS comes to its senses and allows us to customize Windows 8 to focus more on the keyboard and mouse. It could achieve this with the service pack 1 update that we expect—if Microsoft holds to historical timetables—to land towards the end of this year. I’m not asking Microsoft to abandon touch, just give people who have no need for it—who, by my estimation account for 99 percent of Windows users—the chance to move it into the background.

Why Windows 8 Is The First Windows Release I Absolutely Hate - Forbes

They FINALLY did, and they're FINALLY getting traction in the touch and tablet PC computing space. The larger chunk of new Windows PCs have been touch equipped, for obvious reasons. This is where the Blue wave for Windows expands upon, not the elder traditional UI for the technological rodent, but for the modern touch.
But this article is just more typical moot.

Sounds like paid political announcement from another Alternative Reality Spokesperson, with a snide insult thrown in for good measure.

Windows 8 is getting about as much traction as a car with racing slicks on an ice rink. Also, PCs are not touch equipped, it's the monitors that provide touch functionality and at a considerable overhead compared to traditional monitors, for potentially little gain.

The howls of righteous indignation are simply getting louder every day.

That was the point. Seriously, after ALL this time, a group of people that wants a start menu complain at EVERY POSSIBLE CHANCE there is. It's getting quite frankly, annoying, ridiculous, superfluous, and just straight up pointless. If you haven't get the message yet, don't like, don't use it, go about your day. It's SO stupid to be here on a Windows 8 Forum (not a Windows H8 Forum mind you) and argue over EVERY stupid little thing because someone doesn't like this or that or make over the top statements that are so redundant at this point in time.

And no, Windows 8 PCs are touch equipped, at lot of them are, and will be in the coming months and years. Don't like it? Don't buy one or buy without touch and go about your merry day.

By the way, if a someone was a parent of a bratty whiny child, they would end up getting spanked so they stop......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Just like people got over XP and Vista they'll get over this
I think this is more serious. And I bet MS will make major adjustments for the desktop - after the industry lost billions.
Okay maybe they will, yet in the meantime everyone's got a pitchfork ready to go. Nobody knows what's going to really happen, yet the press is already outraged. If this was Apple it would be the other way around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Just like people got over XP and Vista they'll get over this
I think this is more serious. And I bet MS will make major adjustments for the desktop - after the industry lost billions.
Okay maybe they will, yet in the meantime everyone's got a pitchfork ready to go. Nobody knows what's going to really happen, yet the press is already outraged. If this was Apple it would be the other way around.
Bill, it is not only the press. There are a lot of real people that don't like /8 - and those people are completely unaware of the discussions in the press.

What is different this time compared to the Vista bashing is that people who do not like the OS have actually used it - sometimes for a long time. In Vista, the bashing was based on hearsay and MS really put egg into their face with the Mojave project. Watch the short video - interesting.

Project Mojave - Windows Vista Perception - YouTube

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
They FINALLY did, and they're FINALLY getting traction in the touch and tablet PC computing space. The larger chunk of new Windows PCs have been touch equipped, for obvious reasons. This is where the Blue wave for Windows expands upon, not the elder traditional UI for the technological rodent, but for the modern touch.

Sounds like paid political announcement from another Alternative Reality Spokesperson, with a snide insult thrown in for good measure.

Windows 8 is getting about as much traction as a car with racing slicks on an ice rink. Also, PCs are not touch equipped, it's the monitors that provide touch functionality and at a considerable overhead compared to traditional monitors, for potentially little gain.

aYup.

After reading these forums the past few weeks, it's honestly hard not to take side. Over at MacRumors, they have equally retarded arguments with each other. No winners at all, just a little honest observation mixed in with 10 tons of meant influence/prejudice. Neither side is worse, but both stink.

I would compare it to the brand-wars on firearm forums, but that would get me banned, according to the rules I unfortunately read by joining here. (sigh)

You guys do know that you're merely defending or supporting public company's, right? Meaning that more shares are owned by the general public than by the company itself. Why not let the markets decide? They will anyhow.

MS has created 'Tiles'. Unfortunately, they want 'Tiles' AND 'Windows' to coexist. (they do not, on a desktop)

One belongs on a tablet, the other does not. Having tried to embrace both at once, it's sorta discombobulated at best.

MS should fix it, and they likely will.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & iOS

aYup.

After reading these forums the past few weeks, it's honestly hard not to take side. Over at MacRumors, they have equally retarded arguments with each other. No winners at all, just a little honest observation mixed in with 10 tons of meant influence/prejudice. Neither side is worse, but both stink.

I would compare it to the brand-wars on firearm forums, but that would get me banned, according to the rules I unfortunately read by joining here. (sigh)

You guys do know that you're merely defending or supporting public company's, right? Meaning that more shares are owned by the general public than by the company itself. Why not let the markets decide? They will anyhow.

MS has created 'Tiles'. Unfortunately, they want 'Tiles' AND 'Windows' to coexist. (they do not, on a desktop)

One belongs on a tablet, the other does not. Having tried to embrace both at once, it's sorta discombobulated at best.

MS should fix it, and they likely will.

Refreshing to hear that from someone who has no ax to grind in the discussion. Right on. And I like the word 'discombobulated' - my wife always uses that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Refreshing to hear that from someone who has no ax to grind in the discussion. Right on. And I like the word 'discombobulated' - my wife always uses that.

Thank you.

I've been reading here hoping to learn how MS will address the average user WRT 8, but the arguments among some seem too focused on new features.

As a business owner and as a son of senior parents, I'm not sure MS made a short enough leap. Sure, I can deal with a few extra lessons in 'whats new' myself, ...but educating my staff, my parents, and my customers, seems a little daunting in all honesty.

Not all of us are pros or even mildly curious in new tricks. That's the trouble with Windows 8 IMO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & iOS

Thank you.

I've been reading here hoping to learn how MS will address the average user WRT 8, but the arguments among some seem too focused on new features.

As a business owner and as a son of senior parents, I'm not sure MS made a short enough leap. Sure, I can deal with a few extra lessons in 'whats new' myself, ...but educating my staff, my parents, and my customers, seems a little daunting in all honesty.

Not all of us are pros or even mildly curious in new tricks. That's the trouble with Windows 8 IMO.
It took 5 minutes to teach my wife, two hotspots, a Desktop tile, a Winkey and left edge of screen to see running apps, she found the shutdown on her own.

Why do you have to be a Pro, if you cant learn this you cant use Android either, this is easier. They've shown 3 year olds using this so its definitely not for techies only.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Not all of us are pros or even mildly curious in new tricks
That is the point. Most people want to do real things with their system and cannot be bothered with studying an operating system. That is different with most guys around here who love to tinker with the OS - but we are not the average users like Joe Public.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Bill, it is not only the press. There are a lot of real people that don't like /8 - and those people are completely unaware of the discussions in the press.

What is different this time compared to the Vista bashing is that people who do not like the OS have actually used it - sometimes for a long time. In Vista, the bashing was based on hearsay and MS really put egg into their face with the Mojave project. Watch the short video - interesting.

Project Mojave - Windows Vista Perception - YouTube

Which didn't help vista. Windows 7 did.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
An example I want to throw out there that the PC industry will move forward is with vista. When it came out, literally, very few mainstream PCs other than high end ones were able to run vista when it came out. Trying to run it on a single core processor with a gig of RAM was nothing more than an exercise of cursing and S&M. Just wasn't going to happen. Then something happened, the PC industry started building new vista PCs (after about a year or so, as the initial ones were mainly xp designed machines with some more RAM or subtle changes to "run" vista) with dual core processors that were 64 bit capable (some were running 32 bit vista to maintain current device compatibility) and three or four gigs of RAM with a reasonable 250+ hard drive in it. Fully suited and certified to properly run vista to an extent that wasn't too unbearable. The hardware was adapted for the software Microsoft released. Granted, it still sucked and still had a small marketshare and to this day, I think Windows 8 is nearing the next milestone of surpassing vista's current marketshare.

Now today, the PC industry is obviously in some issue. Obviously very few people buy desktops other than the enterprise and the people who are PC competent enough to build one of their own. The PC today is not a desktop, it is a laptop. That is a PC. Go to ANY tech department in any retail store physical or online, the laptop is the forefront of the PC market. Those laptops by the way, have usually a dual core processor if not more, with at least four gigs of RAM, as that was vista's legacy. But Windows 8 doesn't need that over the top hardware, it can run on very little. It does prefer the use of touch, through a touchpad or touch screen. The industry has partly adapted to that with laptops having touchpads that have all the seven touch gestures of Windows 8 if not more. Some PCs are basically updated versions of Windows 7 models, and therefore aren't ideal for Windows 8 as their touchpads aren't up to par for edge gestures.

As we have seen, Windows 8 is touch centric, Windows Blue is expanding on that. That's the fact. That's the momentum. As Windows 8 becomes more and more touch centric, the PC industry will have to adapt. They will in fact make laptops in touchscreens on them. They will in fact be producing new tablet PCs, the NEW PC, with better processing hardware, not just wattage constrained hardware designed for tablets. There is a saying I just recently heard, if a company internally isn't a reflection of the outside change in the world, it's not doing well. If Microsoft were to keep Windows designed solely for a mouse, it would become VERY irrelevant in the eyes of the consumer. Think Blackberry. If Microsoft were to have made a better Windows 7 for those who wanted it and Windows 8 for the touch PCs; it would be mac os and ios. Over time, Windows 8 and touch PCs will outnumber the Windows 7 and mouse enabled PCs, leaving those users in a small niche of the market developers don't develop for, but develop for the Windows touch PCs. Microsoft will just add small updates to Windows 7 to keep a small user base intact, but the future and present will be around the Windows touch PC. It could get to the point where Microsoft decides to just merge the two finally as the PC hardware will be fully touch centric and little mouse usage. But they didn't, seeing as they probably observed apple in how they went the mac os and ios route only to have them slowly but surely merge. In retrospect, that would had been pointless.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Start is Back won't work.

Classic Shell not working atm, but I am sure Ivo will fix that.

Iobit start menu works ok (ish).

Oem start menu's seem ok , hp, lenovo.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I think it is more like 92% of desktops and lappys.

Obvious why that is.

1. The general public do not know what Linux is - and it is not generally available all over the place on oem machines.

2. The general public do know about Mac - but the entry price is around $1400 in the uk - not an option for the majority.

3. Therefore most people have to buy something with windows on it. There is no effective competition.

Unless some viable competition appears, then MS will eventually be able to foist what they want on the remaining 92% .

They will put up with it, get used to it, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I think most current PC users, if asked to use a PC set up with Ubuntu or Mint, would be able to navigate it fairly quickly, as both (notwithstanding the Unity interface, which isn't hard to understand, just annoying like the MPI) are much like Windows 7 and earlier. Ubuntu has always reasonably closely followed the Windows UI, so that users have a familiar interface.

As said, it's the lack of drivers that has hobbled Linux for some time, but if China does pick up Ubuntu and run with it, then I'll bet that manufacturers will sit up and take notice. It will also lead to a far greater interest from software companies that currently produce solely for Windows, to start considering Linux as well.

This is possibly the catalyst to bring Linux into a viable alternative to Windows and OSX. People who say never, should read history more closely.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
This Blue thing is interesting.

They might do something different with a later build - but going just from this, they are moving quickly.

Looks like they need to keep the desktop there for the moment, and are trying to keep most away from it.

That would mean in effect MS have total control - as they will have in fact when the desktop has gone.

Big push to get the users onto their services via the advertising billboard.

Fascinating to watch this - I expect most of those innocently buying these things right now have no idea.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
One of the best early computers on the Planet was the Amiga
Interesting view of 'early computers'. I don't think they were around when I started with computers in 1958.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
One of the best early computers on the Planet was the Amiga
Interesting view of 'early computers'. I don't think they were around when I started with computers in 1958.
Maybe I should have said personal computers not mainframes, you must have been working on one of only a handful of computers at that time.
My early interest in computers was all about graphics, 3D Ray Tracing and that, but also anything to do with video and photos even 3D gaming. To me a computer that couldn't handle heavy graphics wasn't a computer, the exact opposite to popular thinking at the time, which is why the Amiga died out, well that and they lost the blueprints to their own hardware, pretty sad.

Well I was a minority then and looks like I might be again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Coke Robot
If Microsoft were to keep Windows designed solely for a mouse

Who on this forum is suggesting that?

You are making things up again. You may be catching it from Bill.
Ummm.... every person that is against using touch on a desktop and every person that is against Windows 8 insinuates this EXACTLY.

"Microsoft should had just improved Windows 7 with the under the hood tweaks and kept the metro junk out." This has been paraphrased roughly that I've seen in the past year and a half.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back