Even most of those who love it, have to use 3rd party apps to love it!

But that leads into my kind of key question and maybe should have asked right off...does one click to get to the desktop make that big a difference in anyone's productivity?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X4 630 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI 785GM-P45
    Memory
    6BG DDR3 PC3-10700
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 520GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w19
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    WD 6400 and ST3360320ATS SATA HD's 1TB total space
    PSU
    Cooler Master
    Case
    NA
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK320
    Mouse
    Logitech MK320
    Internet Speed
    30 MB/s Cox cable
    Other Info
    Fun computer specs, work computer specs are: Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2Ghz, 2GB DDR2, Biostar GF8200M2+, Nvidia Geforce 8200, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, WD3200 hard drive, Seagate 120GB backup drive Dell IN1910 monitor. Win 8 Pro 64 bit.
But that leads into my kind of key question and maybe should have asked right off...does one click to get to the desktop make that big a difference in anyone's productivity?

I think it does, especially when you watch those videos of new users who cannot even figure out how to accomplish that much. For the rest of us, it is just a steady nuisance, and most users don't want to put up with a steady nuisance in their computer environment for very long. Believe it or not, I like the concept of the start screen, I just think it is poorly implemented. I am one who always appreciates having more ways to do things rather than less, and I don't think I am alone in this. I used Win 8 as my primary OS for about 5 days, and even though I really wanted to like it, I just could not embrace it. Time will tell how this pans out, but I am predicting failure..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
It's not about one click to get to the desktop.

It is about the o/s being aimed at tablet users - designed to lure them into the MS clouds.

It gets in the way of anything productive.

The full screen start menu opening up is the last thing you want when you are doing something constructive.

That involves multi tasking - multiple windows open - several progarms running at the same time - using files from across several drives - all at the same time.

Win8 is simply not made for that.

It wouldn't matter if they had a different o/s to offer the serious users ( Apple have a very different o/s on their toys than they do on their proper machines ).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
And yet, I'm having no issues multitasking. Oh well, guess it goes to show you cant please all of the people all of the time. You're more than welcome to continue hating it, me? I'll move on liking it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Self Built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X4 630 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI 785GM-P45
    Memory
    6BG DDR3 PC3-10700
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 520GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w19
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master
    Case
    NA
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK320
    Mouse
    Logitech MK320
    Internet Speed
    30 MB/s Cox cable
    Other Info
    Fun computer specs, work computer specs are: Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2Ghz, 2GB DDR2, Biostar GF8200M2+, Nvidia Geforce 8200, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, WD3200 hard drive, Seagate 120GB backup drive Dell IN1910 monitor. Win 8 Pro 64 bit.
Depends what kind of multitasking you do.

I just looked at my previous post again - no mention of hate or anything of the sort

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I just looked at my previous post again - no mention of hate or anything of the sort[/QUOTE]

I was referring to metro specifically, not the OS as a whole, and perhaps dislike was a better word.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Self Built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X4 630 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI 785GM-P45
    Memory
    6BG DDR3 PC3-10700
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 520GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w19
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master
    Case
    NA
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK320
    Mouse
    Logitech MK320
    Internet Speed
    30 MB/s Cox cable
    Other Info
I might like it on a tablet - that is what it is for .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I agree!

Just use it as is, or dump it!

This 3rd party stuff is just a put-off!

I am getting more out of it every day!

Don't try to change the spots on the Leopard!

Tully

LOL, Tully! It's like buying a Rembrandt or a van Gogh and spray painting inner-city graffiti all over it! :p

As a young father I caught myself trying to convince my children that my way was the best, just as my father did with my siblings and me. Anyone could see that my children and I got frustrated. I decided thereafter to show them once, maybe twice, how to do certain chores or on homework help. Then allowed them to do things their way. I made sure they got the chores or homework finished, but what usually happens, like with all humans, we suffer pain by mistakes or loss of valuable time, so we end up doing it a different way. They don't do things exactly my way, but close. I learned from them as well. They are all quite happy, independent individuals for the most part. Made me happier too. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I just think they could have made the start screen much more useful and customizable then they did. Show the current running programs along the top or bottom. Customize look, feel, size of icons and background. The start button should just be there, period, even if it's only function is to bring you to start screen. Small things like this could actually probably win me over. As it is, I could only see it as a nuisance..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Microsoft Attitude

To me the key issue issue is Microsoft's attitude. They refuse point blank to give their army of loyal desktop users the options to totally switch off/on "Metro" (or whatever it's now called), and have a direct boot to desktop with legacy start menu.

To get the improved performance aspects of Win8, which should be in a SP2 to Win7, and have direct boot to desktop/legacy start menu, you must use a workaround like Classic Shell.

Sorry, I won't do business with a company with an attitude where they so easily could please all camps, but won't.
:(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
If I may quote from Mike Mace:

you'd think that Microsoft would do everything in its power to make current Windows users feel comfortable and excited about moving to Windows 8.

Instead, they're being confronted with deliberate incompatibilities, indifference toward their needs, and a preview campaign for Windows 8 that has already disenchanted some of the most enthusiastic Windows users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If I may quote from Mike Mace:

you'd think that Microsoft would do everything in its power to make current Windows users feel comfortable and excited about moving to Windows 8.

Instead, they're being confronted with deliberate incompatibilities, indifference toward their needs, and a preview campaign for Windows 8 that has already disenchanted some of the most enthusiastic Windows users.
Wholeheartedly :ditto:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Well Mustang, some months ago I mentioned on the board that Win8 should give the option at install to personalize Windows to what the user needs.

FOR EVERYTHING, like Metro, but also in Office, this should be made possible.

As for the Metro, does it really hurt to click on the desktop to get where you wanna be?

The only thing disturbing with Metro is the background. This could be better, if only that could be personalized. myself I do not really need the taskbar.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
As for the Metro, does it really hurt to click on the desktop to get where you wanna be?
Thanks for the input Jeff, and I hear what you're saying. It's not that it's so hard to click on Desktop icon, or use Classic Shell.

It's Microsoft's attitude I can't handle, in that they could easily offer those options, but point blank won't.

Like I said in another post, even if the OS is improved, I just don't want to do business with a company that treats it's loyal supporters that way by treading roughshod over their preferences. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
It's not so much Microsoft's attitude, it's the attitude of saying that we don't like it because we can't change our habit, that we want to stick with the old way and reject change. If you want change to be adopted, then new should be better than old in the first place.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
It's not so much Microsoft's attitude, it's the attitude of saying that we don't like it because we can't change our habit, that we want to stick with the old way and reject change. If you want change to be adopted, then new should be better than old in the first place.

I agree with both sentiments, that people are by and large creatures of habit, and that in order for change to be adopted, the new must be better than the old, else people will be resistant to it. Both are true, and both are reason enough as to why Windows 8 will be a classic failure that business analysts will be talking about for years to come...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
MS have made some decisions with win8 that will make it harder.

All this forcing and removing of choice is completely unnecessary and has turned a lot of their existing users against them.

They are doing the right thing making it cheap - that is the only way to sell stuff people don't really want.

Once they have bought it, they will use it, they will put up with it - because it was cheap.

Eventually, they will become so used to it, they will forget they didn't like it. They have been "trained".

I think that approach might work for MS judging from some of the responses on this forum.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Mustang I used Classic Shell, but removed it again. Do not need this.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory