Even most of those who love it, have to use 3rd party apps to love it!

My thoughts about Windows 8 are the same as Musiclover7, but the reason why Apple is a success is not only because the product is necessarily best, but because Apple consumers are not generally as savvy about the technical aspects of the OS functions ect as the typical MS customer.

I would almost say that Apple has a captive audience because these people buy for trendiness, and cool factor, not so much because the product is so much better than the competition. MS needs to remember this.

Windows and OSX (Apple) are two VERY different customer bases, and trying to be like Apple takes away a primary reason for their existence.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
but the reason why Apple is a success is not only because the product is necessarily best, but because Apple consumers are not generally as savvy about the technical aspects of the OS functions ect as the typical MS customer.
Some of my very savvy IT friends who actually own MacBook's Pros and MacBook Air's might just disagree with you on this one.

Apple sells quite a bit of product because
1). They are trendy
2). They have good built quality
3). They have gorgeous screens
4). They have solid customer service.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
but the reason why Apple is a success is not only because the product is necessarily best, but because Apple consumers are not generally as savvy about the technical aspects of the OS functions ect as the typical MS customer.
Some of my very savvy IT friends who actually own MacBook's Pros and MacBook Air's might just disagree with you on this one.

1). They are trendy

Perhaps so, but is the price of entry really REALLY worth it? I'm not sold.

I've heard that lately over the past several years that the customer service is not as good as it once was.

As for build quality while the cases might be better than some PC OEMs I would bet that many of the enterprise products from Lenovo, HP, and Dell are as good or better, and of course the internal hardware is actually the same Chinese junk that is put into all the OEM PC stuff for the most part.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit

1). They are trendy

Perhaps so, but is the price of entry really REALLY worth it? I'm not sold.

I've heard that lately over the past several years that the customer service is not as good as it once was.

As for build quality while the cases might be better than some PC OEMs I would bet that many of the enterprise products from Lenovo, HP, and Dell are as good or better, and of course the internal hardware is actually the same Chinese junk that is put into all the OEM PC stuff for the most part.

The price of admission is why I don't have a mac, even for a learning experience.

Build quality though, is solid. If you have ever worked on a mac, they have fabulous screens, both the iMac's and the MacBooks. You won't find a single mac with a crappy monitor, but you will find tons of PC's with crappy low-end monitors. And I've always had the enterprise versions of the Dell laptops (latitude)

And when you have a problem, if you have an Apple store nearby, just waltz in and they take care of you. That's why lots of people love 'em.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Will be interesting to see what the rtm brings.

@Cokie, think about this one.

Whatever else you think of Apple:

When Apple release a product - they always get it right ( well, almost always). It sells enormously and dominates it's target segment.

When MS release a product - they sometimes get it sort of right - often they get it wrong - sometimes badly wrong.

Why?

I have to respond with this, apple followers are nothing more than cult followers. Literally, the new 19 pin port of the iphone made the news across several sites. Seriously. People follow apple like it's the second coming of Jesus Christ Himself.

Also, apple tends to get it right when they release a "new" product (Antennagate, quick draining batteries, exploding batteries, Siri). They believe that THEY know what the consumer wants, not the other way around. So, yeah, you could say they don't take risks. But after a while, it gets absurd to buy a "new" apple product as it's a tidbit better than the previous. Like for example, the new iphone 5. Some leaked images of it basically render it as a taller iphone 4 (notice I didn't use iphone 4S as the 4S is just the iphone 4 with Siri and a bit better camera). There have been a few articles that actually speculate that there might be a waning in the following of apple as they don't innovate anymore. I was expecting an actual new iphone that changes the game as it's been six years since the first iphone that changed the game, but it's simply the same as before, as the last one was, as the last one was, as the last one was. I think you get my meaning here. Same goes for the mac lineup. Their "new" macbooks with the retina display (stupid name for a high resolution screen), apple makes it out as a revolution, but their macs are nothing new since their "new" ones are just thinner than the last one, thinner than the one before, and thinner than the one before but with a better screen and trackpad. They may know what the consumer wants, if the what the consumer wants is design stagnation and being told what they want because it's apple, you don't say no to apple. To me, I would go ape poop and postal if I couldn't change the color scheme to red.

But when Microsoft releases a new product, there are the usual complaints that they're trying to jack you of your money only to have you with a slow puter (user stupidity I believe). After a few months, adoption of the new Microsoft product happens and people exclaim that it's better than the cat's meow. vista is the exception, no one wanted vista, not even Microsoft themselves. Take for example, the Windows Phone 7. They could had just killed the Windows Mobile line altogether and just left that arena. But as a software company they didn't. So they made a HUGE risk in rebuilding the platform I believe from scratch basically because they had two options: continue developing a dead in the water OS, or rebuild it into something new and at least say you tried to do something better. They chose the latter. What resulted is a phone OS that the users of it just love using. It's genuinely hard to find a user of it that doesn't like using it. It's generally more positive than anything. Now, the Windows Phone 7 isn't something what people per se wanted, they never asked for it. Microsoft didn't have it fully feature complete until the 7.5 update. But they got it right, and got it even more right with Windows Phone 8. They adapt to changes in the market to have an offering to consumers to CHOOSE from the others. Actually, a reason to have a Windows Phone or Windows 8 is simply because it doesn't act or look like the others, it's not a rip off of apple products, it's not something that it shouldn't be.

Or, if they release a new product to compete with the others and it fails, like the Zune, it's primarily because of an abhorrent lack of marketing. Tell me, how many ipod commercials you've seen versus Zune commercials? Or for that matter, Windows Phone over iphone adverts?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Best solution: Use Classic Shell on Windows 7. It has its advantages of a way more customizable Start Menu over Windows 7 or Vista's Start Menus. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows
    Other Info
    I do the testing and give feedback on User Experience and ideas for Classic Shell.
They believe that THEY know what the consumer want

Yes, they do know what the customer wants.

That is why their products do so well.

It is not by accident.

It is called product management.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
But after a while, it gets absurd to buy a "new" apple product as it's a tidbit better than the previous. Like for example, the new iphone 5
I would argue that it's absurd to buy each and every iteration of an apple product. The people who buy the iPad, then must have the iPad2, and now the new iPad.

However, my wife has an iPhone 3GS and has had it now for 3 years. It's been solid, no problems. But it's getting old, it's a bit slower, it's a bit bigger and the battery isn't really holding a charge like it used to. She has looked at the iPhone4, but simply won't buy it because of the glass back, (since we have kids, this phone gets dropped regularly). So, the iPhone5 is appealing to her because it eliminates the glass back. It keeps most of the things the same that she loves about the iPhone, but changes the thing that she doesn't. So, there would be nothing absurd whatsoever about her buying the new iPhone5.

There have been a few articles that actually speculate that there might be a waning in the following of apple as they don't innovate anymore
Well, in the past 10 years they have pretty much set the gold standard for MP3 players (iPod), cell phones (iPhone) and tablets (iPad). I think their track record for innovation is pretty solid. I cannot think of many other companies having this level of success with total market domination.

They may know what the consumer wants, if the what the consumer wants is design stagnation and being told what they want because it's apple, you don't say no to apple
As I said above, my wife has had an iPhone for 3 years. She loves it. I've had a blackberry and a droid during this time frame. She hasn't cared for either of them. For anybody who owns a blackberry or a droid, pulling the battery is something that you have to do from time to time to fix issues. Well, for an iPhone owner, there is no battery to pull. It's something they don't have to do. For somebody like my wife, she would rather have tried and true, something that works, something that won't radically change the way she does things. So, you call it design stagnation and she calls it, "no reason to fix what isn't broken".

After a few months, adoption of the new Microsoft product happens and people exclaim that it's better than the cat's meow
Really????? I don't feel that Microsoft really gets that much praise from the consumers in most instances.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
There have been a few articles that actually speculate that there might be a waning in the following of apple as they don't innovate anymore

Yes, there is something in that.

They have done unbelievably well up to now.

That is because they have the best product management I have ever seen.

It is not feasible they will continue to release genuinely new products every couple of years.

I believe the share price is expecting they will - it isn't going to happen.

They are embarking on a program of product life extension.

You will notice they are moving into price different brackets - Tim Cook said as much himself.

Absolutely the right thing to do, until they can again come up with something else ground breaking.

They can't continue the same growth rate - they are vulnerable to attack - witness the success of HTC for example.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I agree!

Just use it as is, or dump it!

This 3rd party stuff is just a put-off!

I am getting more out of it every day!

Don't try to change the spots on the Leopard!

Tully

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Beta
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Assembled
    CPU
    Intel I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z&&-V LX
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel on board
    Sound Card
    INTEL ON MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung TD390 HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
    2TB Storage
    External Seagate "Dashboard" File Backup Drive USB3
    WD "My Cloud" 4TB
    Samsung Super Write Master 24 DVD Writer
    PSU
    Cosair
    Case
    Corsair
    Cooling
    AIR
    Keyboard
    Advent USB Keyboard
    Mouse
    Advent USB
    Internet Speed
    200 MB dwn 30MB up
    Browser
    IE 11 Win 10
    Antivirus
    MS Essentials
    Other Info
    USB2 & USB3
Anyone else noticing how so much of the discussion around here is all about how to make windows 8 behave like windows 7, or is it just me?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Yeah, we saw the same discussions on Windows 7 behaving like XP, and XP behaving like 98.. I can't count all the bitching about how you can't get the classic menu in Windows 7. People eventually got used to, and liked the new menu. Same will happen here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Yeah, we saw the same discussions on Windows 7 behaving like XP, and XP behaving like 98.. I can't count all the bitching about how you can't get the classic menu in Windows 7. People eventually got used to, and liked the new menu. Same will happen here.

The Windows 7 start vs the XP start is maybe 5% of the difference between the Windows 7 start and the Winodws 8 Start. They are not the same circumstance AT ALL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I was one of the ones who hated the Windows 8 interface, but as a PC tech I made myself use it in order to be able to properly inform my clients once it hit the mainstream. Still hated it. Then, one day while messing around with the RP I got a text message on my android phone and when I moved to respond to it, left the pointer in the lower left corner. Thats when it hit me....the little thumbnail popped up and thats the start button, click it and it takes me to an iphone/android like tile start menu....click the program (now called app) I need and I go right back to the desktop...just like clicking on the start menu and clicking on the program icon I needed. Takes the same amount of time and everythings its own tile! No more accidentally hitting iTunes when I meant to hit Inews! I've been a fan of Win 8 since I realized that its nothing more than my cell phone on my desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Self Built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X4 630 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI 785GM-P45
    Memory
    6BG DDR3 PC3-10700
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 520GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w19
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    WD 6400 and ST3360320ATS SATA HD's 1TB total space
    PSU
    Cooler Master
    Case
    NA
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK320
    Mouse
    Logitech MK320
    Internet Speed
    30 MB/s Cox cable
    Other Info
    Fun computer specs, work computer specs are: Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2Ghz, 2GB DDR2, Biostar GF8200M2+, Nvidia Geforce 8200, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, WD3200 hard drive, Seagate 120GB backup drive Dell IN1910 monitor. Win 8 Pro 64 bit.
I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I was one of the ones who hated the Windows 8 interface, but as a PC tech I made myself use it in order to be able to properly inform my clients once it hit the mainstream. Still hated it. Then, one day while messing around with the RP I got a text message on my android phone and when I moved to respond to it, left the pointer in the lower left corner. Thats when it hit me....the little thumbnail popped up and thats the start button, click it and it takes me to an iphone/android like tile start menu....click the program (now called app) I need and I go right back to the desktop...just like clicking on the start menu and clicking on the program icon I needed. Takes the same amount of time and everythings its own tile! No more accidentally hitting iTunes when I meant to hit Inews! I've been a fan of Win 8 since I realized that its nothing more than my cell phone on my desktop.

Yes. Microsoft has turned our desktops into phones.

That is actually, precisely, the reason so many of us DON'T like it. My desktop is NOT a phone. I run more than one app at a time (5-15 at a time) on multiple screens with constant monitoring of multiple items.

If all I need from my desktop was what I can do on my phone, I wouldn't have a desktop machine :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8

That is actually, precisely, the reason so many of us DON'T like it. My desktop is NOT a phone. I run more than one app at a time (5-15 at a time) on multiple screens with constant monitoring of multiple items.

If all I need from my desktop was what I can do on my phone, I wouldn't have a desktop machine :/

I'm currently running two displays, one with KINX weather radar, echofon, and AIM, the other with google chrome (facebook and other forums), NWS Tulsa data as well as SPC feeds and "metro" isnt bothering that at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Self Built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X4 630 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI 785GM-P45
    Memory
    6BG DDR3 PC3-10700
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 520GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w19
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master
    Case
    NA
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK320
    Mouse
    Logitech MK320
    Internet Speed
    30 MB/s Cox cable
    Other Info
    Fun computer specs, work computer specs are: Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2Ghz, 2GB DDR2, Biostar GF8200M2+, Nvidia Geforce 8200, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, WD3200 hard drive, Seagate 120GB backup drive Dell IN1910 monitor. Win 8 Pro 64 bit.
I guess what I should ask is this.....what exactly about "metro" is it that prevents "proper productivity" when every program open defaults to the desktop setting anyway? Is the separate screen for the start menu?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Self Built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X4 630 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI 785GM-P45
    Memory
    6BG DDR3 PC3-10700
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 520GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w19
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master
    Case
    NA
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK320
    Mouse
    Logitech MK320
    Internet Speed
    30 MB/s Cox cable
    Other Info

I'm currently running two displays, one with KINX weather radar, echofon, and AIM, the other with google chrome (facebook and other forums), NWS Tulsa data as well as SPC feeds and "metro" isnt bothering that at all.

Are you running them IN metro or on the desktop?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
I dont run anything in metro save the sports, global soccer, MLS and solitare apps. Sometimes I use the weather and news apps as well. But, before my "realization" I didnt use them either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Self Built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X4 630 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI 785GM-P45
    Memory
    6BG DDR3 PC3-10700
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 520GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w19
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master
    Case
    NA
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK320
    Mouse
    Logitech MK320
    Internet Speed
    30 MB/s Cox cable
    Other Info
Well exactly, which is why I'm asking (and really what this thread is about) "Why is metro needed in any way on a workstation desktop"? It's not and it's full screen takeover at unexpected times and it's required use as the start menu is in fact quite annoying to many...

If there were an option to remove it completely I think that at least half if not up to 90% of people probably would.

But yeah yeah, were stuck with it <sigh>.

I guess I'd live a longer life if I were to just take what MS shoves at me and "be happy" :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Back